Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
If you don't talk to everyone, how are you going to hear all the writers calling themselves trash, or complaining about padding out nonsense with even more nonsense, only to be upstaged by someone better at padding out their writing with more nonsense?

Probably nothing to read into there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
shaking down everyone I run into for more books and/or recipes

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I didn't know you could talk to her afterwards, I didn't want to interrupt her speech.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Some people gave me records! Game's full of exciting free stuff that I cannot or will not ever use!

Being able to change the train music every once in a while's nice, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

UHD posted:

oh my god qingque is so good

Haven't played her yet, just looking at her skills trying to figure out how to compare her to more straightforward Erudition Folks. Serval for example just does extra damage to shocked units, no need to worry about how to set her up.. Any thoughts?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm glad the dialogue options consistently let you be a huge idiot. I am the Aeons' Perfect Special Boy and you all gotta deal with me because I have planet cancer in my chest.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Bruceski posted:

Haven't played her yet, just looking at her skills trying to figure out how to compare her to more straightforward Erudition Folks. Serval for example just does extra damage to shocked units, no need to worry about how to set her up.. Any thoughts?

Okay, so the way she works:
1) Every allied turn, she draws a tile.
2) her skill draws two tiles and gives her a stacking attack buff. This can be repeated until you run out of skill points or you get a four of a kind hand.
3) if she gets four tiles of a kind, her normal attack gets a large boost + gets its range turned to blast + DOES NOT GIVE A SKILL POINT AFTER USE. The last one is super relevant if you have her set up so that she outspeeds members of your team that need SP and you're burning through them to cast mahjong. I like getting her as close to last as possible; you may have to futz with relics for speed manipulation.
4) her ultimate does AOE damage and draws four tiles of the same type, so that the next time her turn comes up she'll have a four of a kind ready to go. I like popping this at the start of the battle unless she's slow enough that she'll have drawn four tiles on her turn.
5) you can keep track of what she's drawn under her character portrait. she'll stop drawing when she gets four of a kind, so if you see that and her ultimate's up, don't use it until after her turn.

the ideal turn flow for her is: (your other three party members do their thing) -> she dumps all remaining skill points into tile draws and hopefully gets a four of a kind. It's not necessary to minmax your characters' speed that much, though; you just have to be careful about SP use if you don't (or have slower characters who usually simple attack anyway).

edit: oh also if you autobattle with her the ai WILL spam tile draws so be careful about that lol

Leraika fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 29, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ It looks like this game is really going all in on the convoluted abilities. Curious to see what they'll come up with in the future.

I also just unlocked Qingque. Her abilities are a bit confusing to read about.

Now that I have second ascensions on characters, I need to start deliberately farming up materials, though. And it'll get harder to try out new characters due to the higher expense to make them viable. Probably won't try to maintain more than 7 or 8 for now.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

delfin posted:

Until you burn all five skill points and still don't get a Hidden Hand.

i'm usually skill point starved so that hasn't been a big problem

qingque exacerbating my skill point starvation by periodically not generating any is my big problem

still like her though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Getting to 40 is relatively cheap. Going past that requires fighting the specific elemental bosses for their ascension mats. The bosses are just regular enemies with boosted stats though (or regular mini-bosses I guess?).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Forget if I mentioned, but I got a second 5* - Bailu. She is very convenient and seems to charge her Ultimate up pretty easily. Her field talent is also kind of handy - it effectively lets everyone start the fight with a "shield" (it's this ability that makes characters heal in response to damage, so functionally similar to a shield). Her Skill is kind of interesting in comparison with Natasha's; Natasha has (usually) higher overall single-target healing "per skill point" due to the HoT, but Bailu's randomly bounces twice, giving more potential healing overall, but with an element of randomness (sometimes it won't bounce to the ideal person). Natasha's is probably better if you have an actual tank soaking up most damage. Definitely prefer Bailu's Ult though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's something inherently hilarious about beating Svarog with a Svarog counter.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wait a second why is there a hotel in the frostpunk tale of two cities

you live down the street

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

It's just in case you want 2 of them on different characters, like you imagined. Maybe it doesn't matter so much for 4* ones, but I'm sure having two copies of a 5* lightcone is more valuable than one slightly better one. Maybe. The fact that you can switch them between people even in the Simulated World does make it less valuable to have spares of the same class, though.

Alright thanks, the point about 5* seems like a good one if I'm ever in a position to have to think about that, haha. I'll just take it on a case-by-case basis with each cone, then.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What did other people choose for that one quest in the space station where you have to decide whether to lie to that love poem guy or tell him the truth?

I told the truth, solely because I wanted to see how the guy would react. The old guy was absolutely correct about lying probably being the more moral option, though.

Clarste posted:

It's just in case you want 2 of them on different characters, like you imagined. Maybe it doesn't matter so much for 4* ones, but I'm sure having two copies of a 5* lightcone is more valuable than one slightly better one. Maybe. The fact that you can switch them between people even in the Simulated World does make it less valuable to have spares of the same class, though.

Just from reading their effects, I feel like 5* Light Cones in this have a bigger impact (relative to lower rarity ones) than 5* weapons in Genshin do relative to their 4* alternatives.

It might change once I actually get dupes of 4* Light Cones and can upgrade them in that way, though I currently only have one 4* for most character types.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

someone showed me how powerful stacking freeze with remembrance blessings is which let me get this down way easier than I expected :toot:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

What did other people choose for that one quest in the space station where you have to decide whether to lie to that love poem guy or tell him the truth?

I told the truth, solely because I wanted to see how the guy would react. The old guy was absolutely correct about lying probably being the more moral option, though.

I told the truth, I always tell the truth because lies just cause more problems further down the road. The guy's reaction was "if I'd have to wait decades for her to come back to me, then I'd rather go to her instead, and we can let the world pass us by in time dilation together!" (Or rather, they'd meet somewhere in the middle and have less time dilation). Which honestly I was expecting as a fairly obvious solution.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

honkai first planet

how very fate/grand order

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

argh when do you get fire MC. i'm dying irl :negative:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

someone awful. posted:

argh when do you get fire MC. i'm dying irl :negative:

At the end of the planet storyline, literally in the middle of the final battle.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Today while screwing around in the space station I hacked some dudes workstation...and found absolutely nothing of worth, scheduled a meeting between 4 unrelated departments and somehow managed to get them to work together, watered a talking plant and got a literal trophy for morality, and rode a toilet that can travel through space and time.

This game is wonderfully weird and I am all for it.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
for people who have gotten to/past the level 24 story mission, how did you find later content in comparison to the earlier stuff? like in terms of the story and the complexity of combat scenarios?

i've been ignoring the mechanics i don't like and only just now ran out of xp sources, after finishing the first level gating trial. other than being annoyed by the presence of the usual engagement nonsense, though, game's good. having to stick to a static team comp of underleveled & underequipped characters means fights have been nice and desperate! and although the big quests haven't been all that compelling the disconnected vignettes scattered around are pretty neat

Ytlaya posted:

i told him the truth and, having now looked up the outcome of the other option, would do it again in a heartbeat

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I dislike Gepard a lot less now that I realize you can give him speed boots to stop him from having to wait until after the entire enemy team to get his first turn.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/1651647401894064128

What the gently caress is going on :psyduck:?! Why does 5 years ago random character design franchise I found on the internet and memory filed for years get referenced by Arby's now. What did the pandemic do to the simulation? Never in a million years..........

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Steely Glint posted:

for people who have gotten to/past the level 24 story mission, how did you find later content in comparison to the earlier stuff? like in terms of the story and the complexity of combat scenarios?

i've been ignoring the mechanics i don't like and only just now ran out of xp sources, after finishing the first level gating trial. other than being annoyed by the presence of the usual engagement nonsense, though, game's good. having to stick to a static team comp of underleveled & underequipped characters means fights have been nice and desperate! and although the big quests haven't been all that compelling the disconnected vignettes scattered around are pretty neat

Things get more complicated, I guess? Not in a huge way, but just a natural progression of new stuff. I was stuck underleveled for quite a while until reaching rank 30, which I guess was interesting since I was forced to pay attention more. The finale of the first planet was pretty cool, and the one after that is shaping up to be even more interesting, although there's also some tedious bits in the middle.

Kale posted:

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/1651647401894064128

What the gently caress is going on :psyduck:?! Why does 5 years ago random character design franchise I found on the internet and memory filed for years get referenced by Arby's now. What did the pandemic do to the simulation? Never in a million years..........

They've got Genshin money now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, there are parts of this game that make me think "wow, this would be so much better if it weren't a gacha game but just an ordinary RPG." Like when Dan Feng gets separated from the party on the Luofu and runs into different characters and forms his own little party.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sometimes this game gets cheeky as hell.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the regular gacha blessed me with sampo

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 29, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dryzen posted:

someone showed me how powerful stacking freeze with remembrance blessings is which let me get this down way easier than I expected :toot:

How much did you spend for the two 5*s that aren't TB/beginner banner

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I decided to drop mad Jade on the light cone event banner and do a 10 roll, because I am dumb and have impulse control issues.

Never punished.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

How much did you spend for the two 5*s that aren't TB/beginner banner

you don’t want to know but not because of what you think

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Welp, there’s Seele so time to start hoarding jade for the next banner I want to go for. Considering dropping Gepard and running Clara/Seele/Natasha/Pela. Let Clara soak hits with her higher chance to be targeted and poo poo out counters everywhere while Seele does her thing and Nat keeps them all alive. No idea how viable that is for harder stuff but it sounds awesome!

… Once I get Seele six usable leveled relics, Jesus Christ.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I spent a while thinking relics weren't in this game and boy was I happy about that

At least there's relic exp items at the start this time (GI didn't get those until a few patches in right?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

acumen posted:

I spent a while thinking relics weren't in this game and boy was I happy about that

At least there's relic exp items at the start this time (GI didn't get those until a few patches in right?)
Yeah, and they were much rarer compared to this game.

In general the '6 relics instead of 5' thing sounded really annoying but 4 piece bonuses arent nearly as strong as they were in genshin so 2/2/2 setups are barely any worse than 4/2, and the main stats being split up even more means the RNG on them is less so. Feet slot only have 4 possible main stats and link ropes only have 5 so it's really only body and planar sphere that are RNG clusterfucks.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Be nice if they'd have some way to reliably get some pieces where you can at least pick a mainstat piece x times per week. Or consume dupe relics to reroll the substats. Or something

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Pulled a Welt after like 50 pulls do I still get the 90 pull 5 star or is that chance gone now?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Flowing Thot posted:

Pulled a Welt after like 50 pulls do I still get the 90 pull 5 star or is that chance gone now?

It resets, but your next 5* is guaranteed to be the banner headliner (this carries over between banners too). Also, while the hard pity is at 90 you're not realistically going to need that many, assuming it's the same system as GI, a soft pity starts up at the 70's range that will usually land you the 5* within a ten pull or so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flowing Thot posted:

did you get the welt on the standard banner? because yeah, it resets.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Endorph posted:

did you get the welt on the standard banner? because yeah, it resets.

Nah the special one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Somehow I never bothered to look at the name or description of these things and realize it was an NFT joke.