Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

alexandriao posted:

Like as someone who's been a distrohopper since the mid 2000s poo poo only started getting "good" graphics and gaming-wise after Valve started funding cool projects like Proton and funding advancements in mesa, etc.

Proton feels even more amazing when you lived through the days of wine, winex, crossover...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm not ignoring those contributions, I'm saying they are getting a ton done with a remarkably slim team and non-exotic hardware.

Here's ACO: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/commit/93c8ebfa780ebd1495095e794731881aef29e7d3

That's a few well-known contributors. There aren't legions of programmers toiling away, but a relatively small number of experienced devs improving important bits, and they are doing most of it upstream. That means you can run a mostly unmodified recent Linux distro on the Deck and it'll just work.

Contrast this with some laptops where important bits are locked behind weirdo proprietary hardware you can't even get a spec sheet for. Or some of the consoles with their weirdo double-IOMMU setups and whatnot. Valve taking mostly off-the-shelf hardware is great, it means you can gently caress with the Deck to your hearts content.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

alexandriao posted:

Like as someone who's been a distrohopper since the mid 2000s poo poo only started getting "good" graphics and gaming-wise after Valve started funding cool projects like Proton and funding advancements in mesa, etc.

FishMcCool posted:

Proton feels even more amazing when you lived through the days of wine, winex, crossover...

Abso lutely

EDIT:

Steam Deck - it can do anything!

quote:

Valve's Steam Deck is making headlines in Ukraine as the a new tool for the Ukrainian army. To clarify: a recent posting demonstrated a remote-controlled machine gun turret that seems to be powered (or at least controlled by) the popular portable PC gaming handheld device.

I wonder if gyro aiming works...

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 28, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hope they don't need IPv6/BT connectivity!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Having a bit of an issue: I’m trying to add Prism Launcher to steam as a non-steam game (so I can play on Game Mode). However, Steam is not seeing Prism Launcher. It doesn’t show up on the list of non-steam games/applications (which is what most guides online show). I can’t just select it and click “add to steam” on the desktop main menu since that just opens up the add non-steam game prompt… which doesn’t have Prism listed. I’ve tried browsing to where it’s installed but steam is only looking for .exe files and this is some flat pack fuckery I can’t quite understand but it’s not finding it. I’ve restarted the Deck, reinstalled Prism, nothing.

Any hep?
When I select "Add A Game To Steam" from my library in desktop mode, it's by default looking for ".desktop" files, which seem to be the Linux version of exe's. But there's a drop-down list that lets me pick "All Files" as well, and then I can just pick what I want, including actual exe files. I dunno what this Prism launcher is, but if you can find its executable you should be able to add it to Steam that way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If its a flatpak you're not going to find its executable, but you should be able to make a shortcut to it in desktop mode, which will generate the .desktop file. Or you can make a script to launch flatpak directly and add that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can you set up the metadata on those things to be like, visually interesting instead of just grey cards?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

.desktop files are like .lnk files not .exes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

tuyop posted:

Can you set up the metadata on those things to be like, visually interesting instead of just grey cards?

Yes. Icon=(path to a png)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Desktop_entries

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

jokes posted:

I hope they don't need IPv6/BT connectivity!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Aaaargh why is it so hard to find a dock / adapter that will let me use the nreal air with other peripherals

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

tuyop posted:

Use SteamGridDB on Decky, there's probably a cover for your app already unless you're trying to use something really obscure

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ignis posted:

Use SteamGridDB on Decky, there's probably a cover for your app already unless you're trying to use something really obscure

Oh cool, thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ignis posted:

There’s an old indie game called Warning Forever that I desperately want nice images for on SteamGridDB but they’ve been closed for new game submissions for ages now. :(

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a follow up game to Moonlighter and Cult fo the Lamb is on sale.

Any opinion how that plays on Deck? And what is the gameplay like?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hopper posted:

I am looking for a follow up game to Moonlighter and Cult fo the Lamb is on sale.

Any opinion how that plays on Deck? And what is the gameplay like?

Fantastic on deck. I’ve had no issues. Plays like moonlighter + binding of Isaac + a little bit of stardew.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Ive been saving for the 512 Deck and Docking Station for a while and Ill be getting my tax return next week. Im very excited. Sooooo.... What do I need to know? Whats my starting point for doing cool poo poo with this machine? Where do I learn about how to run non-Steam games?

If it sucks, Im holding you personally accountable:

TraderStav posted:

You're going to loving love it

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

wizard2 posted:

Ive been saving for the 512 Deck and Docking Station for a while and Ill be getting my tax return next week. Im very excited. Sooooo.... What do I need to know? Whats my starting point for doing cool poo poo with this machine? Where do I learn about how to run non-Steam games?

Check the OP and then just dive into the Goon wiki, it's what I did https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Main_Page If you like some light tinkering, you can get a lot of great stuff going on the Deck with fairly little effort. It rules.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I do have one complaint: the left stick has started to feel a bit scratchy, it's picking up some black gunk from somewhere. It gets better when I clean it with a q-tip, but is there a known fix? It's not yet enough of an issue to return the drat thing. The right stick is perfect.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What's the trick to downloading demos on the Steam Deck?

Every time I try to grab one I end up having to use a regular computer (or Desktop Mode), and search for the links outside of Steam, because every time I search the Steam Store interface, even when I click on the one that has Demo on the picture, it just goes to the regular page and I cannot for the life of me find the download demo button.

Also has anyone played Cassette Beasts? It looks up my alley.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
LIVE A LIVE loving owns and is great on Steam Deck, that is all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

wizard2 posted:

You're going to love it, but just make sure you really want the 512gb because it's a big price jump for relatively small improvements. No judgment either way, just mentioning it because I took the "gotta have the best one" route and regret the extra money.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The screen on the big deck is worth it if you play anywhere that there’s light, ever

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I dunno, having seen a matte screen protector on a 64gb side-by-side with my 512gb I really don't agree, but to each their own.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also: white zip pulls and blue dot on the case so everyone knows that once upon a time you had enough money to buy the big dick deck

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I actually think the glossy screen looks better under normal lighting conditions. :negative:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

barbecue at the folks posted:

I do have one complaint: the left stick has started to feel a bit scratchy, it's picking up some black gunk from somewhere. It gets better when I clean it with a q-tip, but is there a known fix? It's not yet enough of an issue to return the drat thing. The right stick is perfect.

I RMA'd mine because it got pretty rough. It's either the case tolerances which some people have sanded down or you can put the little rubber bands on around the sticks. I did that to my new one but it has started to eat through the rubber too. It's such a dumb issue and annoying. The rubber makes them way less clacky which I like. True to my user name I play while the kids are in bed (in their room when they don't want me to leave because it's dark or whatever) sometimes and the additional quiet is nice.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Also: white zip pulls and blue dot on the case so everyone knows that once upon a time you had enough money to buy the big dick deck
I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny at this point or justify your purchase as you've said this stuff repeatedly. Whatever version you choose will be good. I have plenty of money to buy the "big dick" version but I also don't need to buy a lifted f250 to prove I'm a man lol.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 29, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

barbecue at the folks posted:

Check the OP and then just dive into the Goon wiki, it's what I did https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Main_Page If you like some light tinkering, you can get a lot of great stuff going on the Deck with fairly little effort. It rules.

thanks for the reminder :hai: its been a bit since I last scoped out the OP

Paradoxish posted:

You're going to love it, but just make sure you really want the 512gb because it's a big price jump for relatively small improvements. No judgment either way, just mentioning it because I took the "gotta have the best one" route and regret the extra money.

the moneys as good as spent! Ive been saving up by throwing my weekly Fun Money into Steam Balance. I have an extremely bright apartment and Im going for that etched glass, but thanks for looking out! 😁

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Paradoxish posted:

I actually think the glossy screen looks better under normal lighting conditions. :negative:

I dont care about conspicuous consumption but my apartment is so sunny that I cant comfortably play Nintendo handhelds certain hours of the day except in my bedroom bc it has blackout curtains :negative:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've been very happy with my 64gb and a couple of 512gb SD cards, but I also mostly use the deck to play Yakuza remasters, Vampire Survivors (I'm beginning to think there's no vampires in it, curious), indie games and emulated stuff which run fine from the SD card. I also live in a country where for nine months of the year direct sunlight is something that happens elsewhere, so the screen is fine for me. I like that there's room for choice between models for those who feel they need the extra stuff and can pay for it! It's a nice change of pace from suspect emulator handhelds, most of which I've always felt have been more or less faulty compromises between hardware performance and price.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Anyway, I saw this article yesterday and I thought it was an interesting counterpoint to the recent ASUS PR push that sums up my feelings pretty well:

https://www.howtogeek.com/888751/even-the-best-steam-deck-competitors-lack-one-major-feature/

quote:

The right trackpad on my Steam Deck is a godsend for all kinds of games. You can fully replace analog stick aiming with the trackpad + gyro combo in first-person shooters. The setup process is time-consuming and far from being straightforward, but once you nail the trackpad settings in one game —many Steam Deck owners recommend Portal and Portal II for setting up the trackpad, and I agree— you can use it in every other FPS.

The best thing is that you don’t even have to use the Deck’s gyro. Spend some extra time tweaking the trackpad sensitivity, and you can come up with a setup that allows both flick movements and precise adjustments.

First-person shooters are far from the only genre of games where Steam Deck trackpads come in handy. You can use the right trackpad to jump around endless menus, like the ones in Forza Horizon and Assassin’s Creed games, way faster than with analog sticks. Playing point-and-click adventures with analog sticks becomes impossible after using trackpads.

Probably the most transformative experience I’ve had with Steam Deck trackpads was when I played Command & Conquer Remastered. The sole fact that I can play a real-time strategy on a handheld device without major limitations compared to a desktop PC experience was hard to believe at first. But after I completed a few missions without feeling a strong urge to deinstall the game and switch to my PC, I was sold. Now I understand all those people who’ve praised the Steam Controller all these years.

Basically, a handheld PC really needs to understand both the "handheld" and "PC" parts. The Switch is already a really, really good handheld console that doesn't quite have the PC's library of indie games, but comes pretty close. It's perfectly fine as a primary handheld gaming device if all you want to do is play games that work well with a controller, though, especially if you have access to a regular PC for non-handheld gaming.

Where the SD actually shines is that you can pretty much play everything on it. I use mine to mostly burn through old RPGs that either have poop controller support or no controller support at all. And it's fine. It's good, actually. The trackpads aren't as good as using a mouse, but they hit the important point of being usable and not frustrating, unlike the touchscreen. They're also faster and better than the analog sticks for menu navigation even in games where I'm using the sticks 99% of the time.

It's honestly amazing that my only real concern with any game on the deck is "will it run?" If It'll launch and run at a playable FPS, then I know I'm going to have options for input that will, at a minimum, not frustrate the hell out of me. And that's loving amazing when you're talking about 15 year old games that no one ever dreamed would be playable on anything except a mouse and keyboard.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Question Mark Mound posted:

There’s an old indie game called Warning Forever that I desperately want nice images for on SteamGridDB but they’ve been closed for new game submissions for ages now. :(

Old indie game, come on, that can't be TWENTY loving YEARS OLD oh God where has my life gone

Dang now I need to figure out how to get this onto my Deck

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 29, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got a steam deck and it rules. The trackpad makes controls so much nicer than a typical console controller for a PC gamer weak fingered baby like me.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Since I finished Dredge up, what are some other non-sim fishing games for the deck?

Less Fishing Planet or Rapala something, and more Dredge or Stardew level of fishing. WoW level of travel around grinding a fishing skill and getting different lunkers around the world would be great. Red Dead 2 fishing is fantastic also.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Athanatos posted:

Since I finished Dredge up, what are some other non-sim fishing games for the deck?

Less Fishing Planet or Rapala something, and more Dredge or Stardew level of fishing. WoW level of travel around grinding a fishing skill and getting different lunkers around the world would be great. Red Dead 2 fishing is fantastic also.

I have had Dave the Diver on my wishlist for a bit now. Might be worth looking into.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Intergalactic fishing maybe? Haven't tried it on the SD but now that I'm typing this post I really want to.

edit- like if you're just after an extremely chill fishing game where you can make number go up and the point is literally to explore the world looking for the biggest fish you can find then IF may never let go of you

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2023

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Hammer Bro. posted:

Also has anyone played Cassette Beasts? It looks up my alley.

Playing it now, runs very well and enjoyable so far.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
So I have moonlight/playnite setup on my deck/desktop and it works great. I am trying to automate a couple things and I'm sure there's a way to do it but I'm not sure how. Basically, I load moonlight, then launch Playnite xxxp (whichever resolution I choose) and play. Then hit the start/select/l1/r1 to close moonlight. What I'd like to do, is have it so that once I'm done, it also resets my desktop resolution to it's native, and puts my PC to sleep. Is this possible to setup in some way?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

PageMaster posted:

So I have moonlight/playnite setup on my deck/desktop and it works great. I am trying to automate a couple things and I'm sure there's a way to do it but I'm not sure how. Basically, I load moonlight, then launch Playnite xxxp (whichever resolution I choose) and play. Then hit the start/select/l1/r1 to close moonlight. What I'd like to do, is have it so that once I'm done, it also resets my desktop resolution to it's native, and puts my PC to sleep. Is this possible to setup in some way?

Im not home at the moment but I found a script online for doing exactly this minus sleep, which shouldn’t be hard to add. If you don’t manage to find it out there I can post it if I hopefully remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Dryzen posted:

Im not home at the moment but I found a script online for doing exactly this minus sleep, which shouldn’t be hard to add. If you don’t manage to find it out there I can post it if I hopefully remember.

Thanks! I found that playnite resets the resolution on exit, and also has options to put the PC to hibernate in its menu. So asfar as I can tell, I need to make sure to exit the game to desktop, then either exit playnite, or tell it to shut the PC down. I'm not sure if telling playnite to shut down the computer also counts as exiting it and has it reset the resolution or not, though.