Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BisbyWorl posted:

Probably because you aren't restricted to 12 mutas in a single control group. If you have 200 supply worth of mutas, there's nothing stopping you from pointing all of them at a target with a single click.

Good point - hadn't thought of that. Infinitely large control groups is a huge QoL improvement, but there is a downside. For example, I had a skirmish game with Protoss vs Protoss the other day where I was biting my lip with frustration just trying to move 12 bloody Dragoons. I know that SC2 has MUCH better pathing, but I could only imagine bigger groups of the fiddly bastards in SC1.

BlazetheInferno posted:

There's also a quirk in how damage is calculated in Starcraft 2 that makes stuff like Corsairs and Valkyries worse against Mutalisks in Mass Recall as compared to Starcraft 1, so that doesn't exactly help.

I did not know that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

JustJeff88 posted:

How so? I don't know if I got that far because I am so bloody bad at MR.

There is basically no counter against them except Irradiate. (they are fast enough to escape Psionic Storm, but it's basically impossible to find that one irradiated muta in your stack of 40 fast enough)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Szarrukin posted:

There is basically no counter against them except Irradiate. (they are fast enough to escape Psionic Storm, but it's basically impossible to find that one irradiated muta in your stack of 40 fast enough)

I can see that. The problem is that Mutas 'stack' in a way that ground units cannot. In SC1 at least one was limited to 12 in a stack, but in MR the sky is the limit - rather literally. Combined with the huge stack cap plus their speed and the unintentional nerf to their hard counters of Corsair and Valkyrie, that sounds horridly unbalanced.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
And this trick you need to do to stack them in SC1? No need for it, they stack on their own now, creating unstoppable ball of acid death.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It’s not really a big deal tho since Mass Recall is single player. Granted on this current playthrough I’ve been trying to reign in my Muta usage as much as possible outside of missions designed for them since on every Zerg campaign as a kid I just made Mutas until I win

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm quite surprised that they never made Mass Recall multiplayer. I assume that it wasn't technically feasible, because I'm sure that it would have been very popular.

RevolverDivider posted:

as a kid I just made Mutas until I win

Mine was making literally 200 Hydralisks. I never did that in MR, but now I want to do that and group them all together. Ground units don't 'stack', though.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

2v2 gets, or got, some high level tournament play a few years back. Teams could onlyhave 1 zerg (because 2 was too strong) but they allowed random.

Oh that sounds interesting. Why is 2 zerg so overpowered?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If I had to guess, probably just it being really difficult for one person to stave off two people rushing with lings, resulting in a 2v1.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Unit Spotlight: Scourge

The Scourge as seen in the manual.

Overview: Available once we have a Spire, Scourge cost 25 minerals, 75 vespene, and 1 supply - but, similar to Zerglings, they spawn in pairs. At 25 HP they’re the single frailest unit in the game, even flimsier than Broodlings, but the fact that they’re Small size gives them a bit more durability than you’d expect. Still, they don’t last long at all.

The good news is they don’t need to last long. They’re suicide bombers that collide with enemy flyers, killing themselves and dealing 110 normal damage in the process. They've also got a competitive speed of ~6.7, allowing them to keep pace with most flyers, and easily outmaneuver slower ones.

Scourge are an interesting unit. They're very effective at bringing down flyers, and trade well with nearly all of them - meaning the amount of Scourge you need to kill an enemy unit almost always costs less than that enemy unit does (the only exception is Overlords). Their extreme frailty can be an issue, though again, thanks to being Small sized, not as much of one as you'd think. It still take a Wraith three hits to bring down a single Scourge, for example, by which point the Scourge will probably have closed with it.

Unfortunately, the fact that they aren't reusable means that while Scourge allow you to seize aerial superiority, they don't allow you to maintain it. Moreover, their effectiveness at controlling the skies depends on how entrenched the enemy is: 2 Scourge can easily handle a single Wraith, whereas 20 Scourge will struggle against 10 Wraiths, both because they fall easily to focus fire and because it takes a considerable amount of effort to properly control Scourge in that number. So while they do have some use for wiping out enemy air forces, a much more important role for them is the strategic elimination of high priority targets: namely transports and casters.

Scourge, like Mutas and Guardians, have no upgrades beyond the standard air unit upgrades - and even then, they only benefit from armour upgrades. Their damage remains fixed at 110.

A capture of the Scourge's page from the Starcraft Field Manual, a fluffbook released between Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void. I'm mostly including it for the scale at the bottom, comparing the size of the Scourge to a Marine. Although the Marine's scribbled comments about how bad Scourge smell when they explode is enlightening as well.

Some Kill Like Overkill: A big concern with using Scourge in large numbers is making sure they connect properly. Scourge are not smart, and if you tell four of them to kill one Dropship they will all go to kill that one Dropship, meaning that so long as they arrive at the same time two of them will be killing themselves for no reason. On the other end of the spectrum you've got the issue where you don't have enough Scourge colliding. Because your primary targets are spellcasters and transports, half-killing them generally doesn't do you much good, meaning even the Scourge that do collide are kind of a waste. Not fully a waste, just kind of, but still.

So proper control and targeting with Scourge is essential. Remember way back when we had the Mechanicspost about Cloning? There we saw a screenshot of cloning Scourge. Let's revisit that, shall we?

This way the Scourge are all neatly divided up so that the proper amount goes to each Science Vessel. Assuming they all make it to their target, that'll be a massive four Vessels trashed for the relatively puny cost of eight Scourge.

The problem with this is two-fold: first, Scourge are pretty zoomy, so you don't necessarily have a lot of time to micro them before they collide. Second, even if you did, there's just so many other things to focus on. You're juggling this with your production cycles and microing your Mutas and getting your ground units in position and having your Defilers cast their spells… there's a lot going on, and Scourge micro can be a tough thing to fit in. Even in pro games, you'll often see things like five Scourge go colliding with a single Shuttle or Science Vessel, and it's simply because the human brain is finite.

Fluff: Unsurprisingly, there isn't a lot to go on here. Scourge are small, bat-like creatures that are filled with catalytic agents that cause them to explode violently upon contact with another vessel. There's no known source species for the Scourge, and it seems entirely possible that there isn't one and it's just meat that's been filled up with volatile chemicals and had some wings slapped on it. Let's see. Scourge are blind, the manual likens the power of their explosion to a "living plasma bomb," what else… Oh, as mentioned, their genetic sequence is also simple enough to spawn two from a single Larvae.

Campaign Usage: Okay, I know I've been dropping the ball on this, but these little guys are actually quite handy to have around in the campaign. They're a good panic button to react to sudden enemy air attacks (remember back in Terran 10? When I forgot to shore up my air defenses and Duke just had two Battlecruisers go ham over my starting base? Zerg can just spend a larvae cycle farting out some Scourge to deal with stuff like that) and they're also nice to snipe enemy casters, as we'll see… okay, hopefully someday I'll pull it off.

Competitive Usage: Here's where Scourge really shine, being a core part of all three matchups. Yes, gentle reader, the day is finally upon us. We finally have another unit that sees play in ZvZ - though sadly, it is also the last.

Versus Terran: We discussed this already a bit in the Defiler update, but Scourge are incredibly helpful in this matchup for keeping Terran's Science Vessel count down to a manageable level. It takes only two Scourge to blow up a Vessel, making it not only a great trade but also relatively easy to pull off. The downside is that Terran have some easy ways to take care of Scourge: Marines do full damage to them, and while Goliaths don't they do have pretty incredible range. This ends up meaning that Zerg needs to be cautious and try to catch the Vessels out in the open; sniping them while they're hovering over an army is difficult and will likely end up being a waste.

But! It's also important not to underestimate the impact Scourge can have on the flow of the game. Even if the Terran player is extra-cautious and never moves their Vessels out from their protective flock of Marines or Goliaths, that's still a good thing for Zerg because it means that the Vessels are confined rather than zooming all around the map dispensing radioactive pain. Even if the Scourge aren't able to get any kills, just the threat of them being out there can slow the Terran enough to make the Scourge worthwhile.

Scourge can also sometimes be a good response to Wraith harassment. If there's a lot of Wraiths then you've got better options, but if it's just one or two picking off some Drones, popping out some Scourge is a quick and easy response.

Soma's Scourge make life difficult for Light's Science Vessels.

Versus Protoss: One word: Shuttles. Protoss makes heavy use of their transports, not just to circumvent terrain and land forces but also to give added mobility to units like Reavers and Templar. Scourge can yield big payoffs as they knock loaded Shuttles out of the sky. They're also a bit like Wraiths in TvP, though: sometimes the Scourge won't even be used to kill anything, just left in place or patrolling a small area to discourage Shuttles from going that way. It helps to keep your worker lines safe from sudden Reaver or Storm drops.

It's also relatively common for Protoss to build their aerial superiority unit the Corsair to cause all sorts of trouble by sniping Overlords - supply blocking, denying scouting, but most importantly creating detection-free zones for Dark Templar to abuse. Scourge are a great response to these.

Protoss doesn't use Arbiters vs Zerg to anywhere near the extent that Terran uses Vessels, but if they do, Scourge are the go-to response there as well. Uh, my own poor performance notwithstanding.

Mini tries to use the Protoss air superiority fighter to wrest control of the skies from Action's Mutas, but Action has Scourge.

...a lot of Scourge.

Aaaand Mini's fleet is totaled and the skies belong to Zerg once again. Okay, okay, I'll admit, this isn't exactly "traditional" ZvP play, but it was too great a moment to not use.

Vs Zerg: In this matchup it's essential to remember that even though Scourge explode, they do not deal explosive damage. They do normal damage, which means Mutas are eating the full force of the Scourge's fury. Scourge deal 110, Mutas have 120 HP, meaning a single Scourge is enough to positively cripple a Muta - and Scourge spawn in pairs. And that pair costs less than a Muta.

Sounds like a pretty clear counter to the Muta, right? Well, there's a problem. Remember what I said above, about Scourge not scaling well? 2 Scourge can body a Wraith but 20 Scourge are far less efficient against 10 Wraiths? Well that's even more true with Mutas, because the bouncing attack makes it even easier for groups of Mutas to obliterate Scourge. So there's a tight balance here where having too few or too many Scourge can cost you the game.

Jaedong (in red; the forces at the bottom for our colourblind readers) brings in his Scourge to help out the Muta duel happening in the middle of the screen.

The Scourge connect and Counteract, Jaedong's opponent, immediately concedes.

So, to summarize...

ZvT and ZvP: Surgical strikers used to eliminate or contain transports and casters; very occasionally used to thwart any attempts to steal the skies from Zerg.
ZvZ: A powerful tool used to complement Mutalisks in the bid for air control.

Five Minutes Shorter: In what hopefully should not be a surprise to anyone, there is no hero version of the Scourge. Kind of a shame, though. That'd be fun.

Trivia: Scourge were initially intended to spawn from the corpses of slain Overlords and Guardians. I'm not sure if this was in addition to or in place of being spawned by Larvae, but I suspect the latter. Kind of fun to imagine two Scourge popping out every time a Wraith snipes an Overlord. This concept was used, in a way, in Starcraft 2, where Broodlings emerge from many Zerg buildings once they're destroyed (and, of course, in SC2 Co-op one of the commanders has her Corrupters spawn Scourge when they're killed).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I clearly didn't understand how Scourge work. So, what you are saying is that if I send, say, three scourge after a Science Vessel and they arrive at about the same time, instead of two of them icing the vessel and the third being left whole for future operations, the third one will also be gone even though he didn't hit the SV?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Yep. There's a delay between the suicide attack killing the Scourge and the target actually receiving damage, which can lead to several Scourge suiciding since that target is still alive.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hey Killtrane, are you planning on covering SC2 after you finish SCR? My current LP is winding down and I'm planning on doing all of SC2 next but I don't want to tread on your toes if you're planning on doing it yourself.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

At one point during development, Scourge weren't directly built but instead spawned any time a Guardian or Overlord was killed. This was removed for being incredibly difficult to balance, but it's a pretty cool concept of the "revenge from beyond the grave" for units that can't fight back.

On the actual game side, one note about Scourge is that their pathfinding is a bit quirky. In the last second or so before it explodes, their programming tries to anticipate where a unit will be when it gets there, so it'll try to cut corners and take the shortest path. This makes sense, but it also means that a really skilled player who's microing can exploit this by suddenly changing direction to basically juke the Scourge at the last instant. This requires quite a bit of skill and is very micro-intensive, so I don't know how often it's actually done in real games, but there are some great videos out there of good players playing keep-away with an entire pack of Scourge (usually with Corsairs or Wraiths) to slowly wear them down without the Scourge ever getting to explode.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

BisbyWorl posted:

Hey Killtrane, are you planning on covering SC2 after you finish SCR? My current LP is winding down and I'm planning on doing all of SC2 next but I don't want to tread on your toes if you're planning on doing it yourself.

I am not. I've thought about it, but SC2 is a very long game and it's taking me long enough to get through SC1. SC1, BW, and any incidentals (Enslavers, Demo campaign) are all I'm going to do from the series, and if I do anything else from it, it'd probably be Insurrection. I do have an idea I'm excited about for an LP once I'm done this one, but it'll be for something completely different. Well, mostly different. And by "this one" I mean SC1 and BW, because there are some games that are just inseparable from their expansion.

I do appreciate you asking, though, that's very thoughtful. I'm looking forward to seeing your LP of it.

Nostalgamus posted:

Yep. There's a delay between the suicide attack killing the Scourge and the target actually receiving damage, which can lead to several Scourge suiciding since that target is still alive.

This is a much better explanation than what I wrote. Yeah that delay is a huge cause of wasted Scourge and the main reason they need to be micro'd so closely.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

BisbyWorl posted:

Are you doing video or SS? I presume the former, but I only like SS LPs. I'm very glad that John did this one SS.

quote:

Insurrection

That raises a good question... what's the best way to play those semi-official Starcraft expansions/supplements these days?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Are you doing video or SS? I presume the former, but I only like SS LPs. I'm very glad that John did this one SS.

I'd also love to see an SC2 screenshot LP!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

inflatablefish posted:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I also prefer SS LP's as a general rule, though I'll note that you could definitely make an argument for SC2 working better as a video LP (or perhaps a hybrid) because the SC2 missions have a surprisingly decent amount of variety, far more 'events' and stuff popping up mid-mission, plus all sorts of between-mission cutscenes/dialogue/interactivity.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

SC2's missions often also have some gimmick forcing you to get moving early, so you can't just turtle up and build your army before rolling out. So it wouldn't be as interminable as most old RTSes to watch in video.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

I also prefer SS LP's as a general rule, though I'll note that you could definitely make an argument for SC2 working better as a video LP (or perhaps a hybrid) because the SC2 missions have a surprisingly decent amount of variety, far more 'events' and stuff popping up mid-mission, plus all sorts of between-mission cutscenes/dialogue/interactivity.

For my taste, I would say keep the video as minimal as possible. Video LPs really draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JustJeff88 posted:

For my taste, I would say keep the video as minimal as possible. Video LPs really draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Sorry for the double post and I hope that the thread will forgive the somewhat off-topic question

I am playing SCR for the first time in a couple of years, and as I always used to I really struggle with early rushes. I have problems with all factions, but especially the Zerg due to their disposable workers and having to constantly make more. I played a skirmish a few days ago and was wiped out three or four times in a row despite every effort to build an early force of Zealots. Once I finally held off that first rush, I was fine. Any assistance? This is starting to get somewhat embarassing. I don't know if I'm not building enough workers for resource gathering or if I am building too many and not enough Zealots/Zerglings/Marines.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

JohnKilltrane posted:

I am not. I've thought about it, but SC2 is a very long game and it's taking me long enough to get through SC1. SC1, BW, and any incidentals (Enslavers, Demo campaign) are all I'm going to do from the series, and if I do anything else from it, it'd probably be Insurrection. I do have an idea I'm excited about for an LP once I'm done this one, but it'll be for something completely different. Well, mostly different. And by "this one" I mean SC1 and BW, because there are some games that are just inseparable from their expansion.

I do appreciate you asking, though, that's very thoughtful. I'm looking forward to seeing your LP of it.

Alright, thanks!

JustJeff88 posted:

inflatablefish posted:

MagusofStars posted:

I'm planning on doing a hybrid LP. Commentated screenshots accompanied by commentaryless videos for cutscenes and missions. This LP and the Warcraft LP have proven that SSLPs of an RTS are more than viable.

It's going to be a few weeks before I can get started, however. VFD still has a number of updates to go.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

Sorry for the double post and I hope that the thread will forgive the somewhat off-topic question

I am playing SCR for the first time in a couple of years, and as I always used to I really struggle with early rushes. I have problems with all factions, but especially the Zerg due to their disposable workers and having to constantly make more. I played a skirmish a few days ago and was wiped out three or four times in a row despite every effort to build an early force of Zealots. Once I finally held off that first rush, I was fine. Any assistance? This is starting to get somewhat embarassing. I don't know if I'm not building enough workers for resource gathering or if I am building too many and not enough Zealots/Zerglings/Marines.

Look up opening build orders and timings and pick up the pace with your APM. Especially against the AI it's not hard to defend against early aggression. If you're against actual players, scout to determine if it's a regular opener or an all in.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The melee AI always opens with a 5-ish minute rush and doesn't back down. This is one of the rare times you can take a lesson from the campaign - fast expand, build static defense to handle the rush then mass up an army and crush them.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Decoy Badger posted:

The melee AI always opens with a 5-ish minute rush and doesn't back down. This is one of the rare times you can take a lesson from the campaign - fast expand, build static defense to handle the rush then mass up an army and crush them.

Yeah probably the most noticeable difference between campaign AI and melee AI is that the latter can actually do things with low-tier units? Like a common theme in the Terran campaign was Lings and Hydras just being kinda speedbumps but then we get our hands on them and oh, it turns out they kick rear end. We'll see a similar thing too where we'll get into the Protoss campaign and discover that oh, hey, these Zealots and Dragoons that have just been kinda around are actually forces of nature.

And like it's not that the AI is a total pushover in the campaign, just that it mostly only uses the high tier units threateningly.

I wonder if it's an intentional programming thing or just a quirk of the AI's routines being thrown off by having pre-built bases.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess a big part of that is just down to how the campaign plays for the AI. The pacing usually being that you establish your army, you go raid the enemy base, and they have an army in that base to make destroying it difficult. Unless the mission specifically calls for it, they're not going to mobilise their army to take down your base, they'll just send small probing attacks to keep you on your toes. It balances out with the fact that until you're ready to roll over their base, the AI army definitely outmatches you (and there may be two or three of them too). If they actually tried to take you out before you're ready to hit them, they'd win handily.

Melee AI, on the other hand, absolutely is mobilising its army to wipe you out. It starts on equal footing with you, so it can. And it's trying to simulate the multiplayer experience, where your enemy obviously will try to defeat you.

Basic units like marines and zerglings don't really thrive in small probing attack contexts, they need force of numbers.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
What I've noticed with the Melee AI is that I'm never really threatened so long as I hold off that first rush. I know that there are are better fan-made AIs out there, but they are designed for very high level players, which I am not and never will be. I've no desire to play real multiplayer because 1) I'd imagine everyone still playing is very good after so many years and B) I have no desire to socialise.

I've not played much starcraft 2, which I know does have more difficulty levels, so perhaps there is something there. What I don't like about SC2 is that the maps seem small, resources are very limited and vespene depletes rather than giving 25%. I don't know how to modify maps, but I like lots of resources and big armies. It makes games feel like real epic wars. I've seen plenty of 'pro' games that end in 10 minutes and I always think 'That's it?' It's like ending an association football match after 30 minutes.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Resources are set up that way to encourage expansion and aggression which is a good thing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RevolverDivider posted:

Resources are set up that way to encourage expansion and aggression which is a good thing.

I prefer it otherwise and I've always resented Blizzard games for having virtually no customisation. If people who take the game too seriously want to have specific rules and maps for tournaments that's fine, but if I want to triple the size of resource patches or takeaway upkeep in WC3, I should be able to.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The Starcraft 2 campaigns were very much designed to have as little of "hang in base, build a large army, steamroll map" scenarios as possible. Or at least have incentives to not just do that.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I prefer it otherwise and I've always resented Blizzard games for having virtually no customisation. If people who take the game too seriously want to have specific rules and maps for tournaments that's fine, but if I want to triple the size of resource patches or takeaway upkeep in WC3, I should be able to.
Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 2 have very powerful map editors, so you can do that.

Having no customization seems like a very strange criticism.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DTurtle posted:

Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 2 have very powerful map editors, so you can do that.

Having no customization seems like a very strange criticism.

I think that forcing people to edit maps rather than simple settings in a menu is going around the arse to get to the wrist. If people want to increase the unit cap to 250 or reduce it to 150, they should be able to do that in a lobby. If they want to increase the number of minerals in a mineral patch, that should be a simple switch. I know that there is always going to be a set of tournament rules, but settings like the above are obvious. There's thriving play for fastest map/BGH, and people enjoy variety. It's a game - game's should be fun.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I can't speak for SC2, but in Starcraft and WC3, increasing the amount of money in a resource patch is literally a slider in the map editor.

There's even one official map "Big Game Hunters" (BGH) for Starcraft where they basically flood the map with money - 50% more mineral patches and one more gas geyser at each base location, all mineral patches have like 20k minerals instead of the default 1500, each gas geyser has like 50k gas. WC3 and Starcraft 2 both also have 'endless money' maps like this, though I never got into playing either game online so I don't remember those map names. So if you really want that experience, you just pick the map designed for it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

No, I get what they get at, in Supreme Commander there's a mod, a default mod that is installed by the game installed, that you can enable in a game lobby that doubles resource gain, there's also a native, implemented in the game lobby, interface to limit or exclude specific units, these are things you can enable in an instant in the MP lobby without having to open an editor and overall I'd call these good additions.

There's also an orthodox thought 1v1 ladder, because all these should be genre staples and it's a bit weird to have it missing here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, saying you can just go edit the map to make a big money version misses the point that an in game option saves you having to do that for literally every map you play. And having to make sure you picked the right map version for the settings you want. And wait for your friend to download it if they haven't played those settings before.

Vs.

Move slider on game settings in the match lobby.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I dunno I don’t think it’s remotely a problem that it’s not a toggle when it’s still super accessible and easy to do anyway.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Laughing Zealot posted:

The Starcraft 2 campaigns were very much designed to have as little of "hang in base, build a large army, steamroll map" scenarios as possible. Or at least have incentives to not just do that.

I haven't played a bunch of SC2, but I have noticed that the stages seem to be set up very distinctly, with piles of minerals placed so that you can place the base "just there", and you can have a line of harvesting units "just here", and everything set-up all efficiently.

It looked very tournament-y, and not in a good way. Like, "Yeah, this game is for l33ts to have tournaments in, you n00b. Go back to playing with MS Paint, ya dweeb. Can't believe you play the campaign for fun, and not for training hard."

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

That very much seems like a you problem, the SC2 campaign is pretty easy on standard difficulties and it’s crazy well designed for a single player RTS experience.

It’s also just straight up not true when SC2 is filled with campaign exclusive units and gimmick missions that are totally wild and different from the standard game experience.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

LotV was a dumpster fire in terms of plot, but being able to freely mix and match units from all three Protoss subfactions was really cool.

That, and it gave us Alarak :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Blizzard has always been a company that comes across to me as extremely pretentious and smug, and I think that their 'one true way' game design is rather indicative of that. I've played plenty of other RTS and TBS games that have significant customisation options. One that leaps to mind is Empire Earth, which is a very epic game in scope and underrated in my view. Again, I'm fine with the existance of a default/standard, but make it simple for people to try other things. Revolver is clearly a fanboy mark type who isn't going to admit that sliders/toggles were simple editions that should have been included from the off, and there's no real point in engaging with such a person. I imagine that I would find many similar attitudes on the major forums for Blizzard games.

To change the subject, how does download and/or edit SC2 map files? I can find the bloody files on SCR, but I have done multiple web searches and I've had no luck with SC2. I downloaded a high-resource map for SC2 somewhere and I couldn't find where to put it, even.