Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean at the time at kindred spirits was being hit with stuff there was actually some western games with lgbt stuff that was being hit as well, tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aoishiro rules because it has a part where a woman is confronting an evil priest on a platform in the middle of the ocean and she says "i heard your bloodline has ritualistically sacrificed over 30000 children."

and then the evil priest is like "that's not true. we've only sacrificed about 300. also in the past century we found a more efficient method and now raise one super sacrifice child who can be sacrificed with the power of 10 sacrifice children combined." and the lady is like "you do know that none of that made me want to kill you less"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is Dynasty Warriors 9 worth playing now?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

Is Dynasty Warriors 9 worth playing now?
they fixed some of the technical issues but like, the core design of the game just stinks, there's nothing they could do to fix that. the other dw games had tech issues too but they were good games. this one sucks rear end. they cant patch that out

dw9 empires is alright, i guess, though

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
as someone who's only really played hyrule warriors and one piece warriors 3, what is bad about dynasty warriors 9 compared to the others?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

as someone who's only really played hyrule warriors and one piece warriors 3, what is bad about dynasty warriors 9 compared to the others?

They tried to shove in an open world and it ended up making everything suck, in addition to having far worse character design than either of those two games.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
IIRC they also removed a bunch of character's unique weapons and replaced them with other characters' movesets. I remember James Stephanie Sterling being pissed at them changing Zhang He.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
also the voice acting is just, bad and not in a fun way like when musou normally has bad voice acting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just want to talk quickly about design, feedback, and a thing that might possibly feel bad to me that people who are ok/enjoy gambling wont be bothered by.

In Voice of Cards: Beasts of Burden, every characters skills come from monsters. Each monster you defeat has a chance to drop its skill in a quality of 1-5 after the battle. You are only allowed one skill per monster, higher levels always replacing and being better than lower levels. After a fight you can only gain one skill and skill drops are never guaranteed.

Now, heres the setup. When you win a fight if there is a chance of a monster skill drop a treasure chest minigame will start. You must then choose one of three (very rarely one of two) treasure chests. You keep the reward under it, the others being discarded. The issues for me are this:

1) You have no idea whats even in the treasure pool. Very rarely its all monster skills, but often its two items you'll probably never use and one monster skill. Worse, it can be skills of the same level or lower than what you have, which even if you pick will be uselessly discarded.

2) It shows you what you didn't get. Not only is it irksome to see you drew the only card that doesn't do anything, it also takes additional time in this process to show you.

3) Theres no way to influence this process. There are items that make it so you're guaranteed the minigame at the end, but it doesn't influence the contents. Since you cant even see whats possible to draw before drawing it, theres also no trust the game isn't just deciding your reward when you pick rather than creating a pool of potential rewards.

4) Enemy skill levels are story gated. It doesnt matter how many wererats you fight and beat in chapter two, they'll never give you more than a 2 out of 5 star version so this whole thing can feel pointless or near pointless if you do acquire the good skill for a zone.

What this results in for me is this obnoxious interruption to the gameplay. Hey, stop what your doing and randomly choose (and then get shown you chose poorly) your reward. The interactivity doesn't influence anything and just adds time. To me, it's be a thousand times more pleasant if it did all that rolling in the background and in a lower number of fights told me "you got a new skill" or "you got an upgraded form of this skill". I mean, ideally it would just give me the skills guaranteed after x number of fights and upgrades were based on some sort of progressive xp system but look I am trying here.

But like I said Im fundamentally against gambling, so I wanted other peoples thoughts if any on the above and how they feel about rng drops in games and the mechanisms used to dole them out.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 29, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Live a Live: I'm not sure how anyone's supposed to know the range of Dio's OHKO gatling gun the first time you fight him. You can't be facing him OR be diagonal to him.

Given the thread that ties the scenarios together, I'm surprised there wasn't a Garfield chapter.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 29, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I bought DW8XL instead and this poo poo slaps. gently caress Lu Bu tho.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Being forcibly shown what fantastic prizes you DIDNT get has got to be one of the greatest gaming crimes I’ve heard of, just pure psychic damage

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not only should they do it but they should play the wheel of fortune bankrupt sound if you choose wrong

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Wheel of Fortune one or the Price is Right one?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of musou games, how is Fire Emblem: Three Hopes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of musou games, how is Fire Emblem: Three Hopes

Judged as a Musou it's slick and well-produced, though running on the Switch means that the framerate is inconsistent (runs better than Age of Calamity though), there's some busywork between battles, and the Combat Art system means that high-level combat kind of gets a bit more samey than usual. Judged as a spinoff of Three Houses, it's written by the same people and they take full advantage of the opportunity to expand on elements that were left underdeveloped in the original, which is great, but the ending isn't very conclusive. How much you're going to like it depends on how much you'd like to spend more time with those old familiar knuckleheads.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've played like..two hours of Three Hopes without playing Three Houses at all and it seems pretty good, a lot better than FEW

Shez is a total doofus

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've played like..two hours of Three Hopes without playing Three Houses at all and it seems pretty good, a lot better than FEW

Shez is a total doofus

Do any characters share movesets with each other? I didn't like that about FEW (that and the vast majority of the characters come from Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening and Fates)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

Shez is a total doofus
I'm an unapologetic FEW liker, so if Three Hopes is better, I'm on cloud nine.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Do any characters share movesets with each other? I didn't like that about FEW (that and the vast majority of the characters come from Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening and Fates)

Movesets are mostly the same between classes, characters mainly have unique musous in their favorite classes and unique personal skills.

I for one enjoyed the presentation of Three Hopes a lot, each chapter is divided into several smaller battles on a world map that you progress towards the big battle on by clearing smaller fights, and clearing those fights gets you resources to use to upgrade your camp or use different strategies during the big fight. Its a system that would slot really well into any other musou game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I'm an unapologetic FEW liker, so if Three Hopes is better, I'm on cloud nine.

I'd say it's definitely better.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Live a Live: I'm not sure how anyone's supposed to know the range of Dio's OHKO gatling gun the first time you fight him. You can't be facing him OR be diagonal to him.

Given the thread that ties the scenarios together, I'm surprised there wasn't a Garfield chapter.

This is kind of a common pattern with Live-a-Live bosses; the safest place to be for most of them is a knight's move away from a corner of their sprite.

The Colonel posted:

there's also aoishiro but the rerelease of that doesn't come out until later this year and the ghost girl(s) are kind of the weaker routes. you do get to hook up with an immortal ancient japanese samurai woman who tries to murder you though

also the official english version does not look so great so far, i am hoping they fix it before release

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

the three hopes cast share movesets based on their classes (with a handful of characters having unique classes) but its way more forgivable in three hopes because the game has like 50 characters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Thuryl posted:

This is kind of a common pattern with Live-a-Live bosses; the safest place to be for most of them is a knight's move away from a corner of their sprite.

also the official english version does not look so great so far, i am hoping they fix it before release

i, guess i wouldnt be surprised if the official english tl is somehow copied over from the fan tl. the fan tls for aoishiro and akai ito were pretty awful and this is the exact same kind of weird font, hosed up formatting and awful stilted grammar the fan tl had.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the akai ito fan tl is insane cause it inserts tl notes... into the dialog text box. so you'll have a bit where a character says "there may be a youma... (A YOUMA IS A TYPE OF GHOST UNIQUE TO JAPANESE FOLKLORE)"

also

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im running dangerously low on "is not an in-app extravaganza" and "is a roguelike" games on mobile devices and, oh hello there Kotobuki Solution Company...

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Alright gonna start out with Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden and see if I like it since apparently that one has the best story.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

the Paper posted:

Alright gonna start out with Voice of Cards Forsaken Maiden and see if I like it since apparently that one has the best story.

Thats the one Ive not fired up but you can tell they made significant mechanical revisions and confidence with their toolset between the first and third titles so going back to The Isle Dragon Roars may be hard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone else remember the game GranBlue Fantasy Relink? It is supposedly still coming out after being stuck in development hell for almost the entirely of the PlayStation 4 life. On top of that, new gameplay footage is finally revealed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUGjL9zNhE

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Disposable Scud posted:

I bought DW8XL instead and this poo poo slaps. gently caress Lu Bu tho.

Two things are certain in life: death if you pursue lu bu and taxes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone else remember the game GranBlue Fantasy Relink? It is supposedly still coming out after being stuck in development hell for almost the entirely of the PlayStation 4 life. On top of that, new gameplay footage is finally revealed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUGjL9zNhE

It's going to be great.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I only know it from the fighting game and as someone who won't just watch any Fate anime instead of waiting for the game to come out, I'm looking forward to playing it and the gate game and finally knowing something about what those series are about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well i grinded out the management minigame in like a dragon. wow. that was one of the worst things in the entire game! i didnt like the management minigame in zero either but at least it was like, less obtrusive. this one takes so so so loving long and once you have it solved it's just. not even a game. you're not doing anything. you're just staring at numbers forever and occasionally playing a really drawn out minigame that's almost impossible to actually lose once you know how it works

also the one in zero just like, made more sense thematically. i dunno how this is supposed to fit into much about LAD. it's just kinda awkward bullshit you need to do to keep up with the game's economy and not get stuck in a ditch when you lose a party member for a bit. even writing-wise i'd say it's one of the more boring long-form side stories in the series. i guess the ads were funny?

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 29, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The cash from the business is only needed until you unlock both the battle arena and charity summon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

well i grinded out the management minigame in like a dragon. wow. that was one of the worst things in the entire game! i didnt like the management minigame in zero either but at least it was like, less obtrusive. this one takes so so so loving long and once you have it solved it's just. not even a game. you're not doing anything. you're just staring at numbers forever and occasionally playing a really drawn out minigame that's almost impossible to actually lose once you know how it works

also the one in zero just like, made more sense thematically. i dunno how this is supposed to fit into much about LAD. it's just kinda awkward bullshit you need to do to keep up with the game's economy and not get stuck in a ditch when you lose a party member for a bit. even writing-wise i'd say it's one of the more boring long-form side stories in the series. i guess the ads were funny?

It sucks and it being an easy but tedious way to get cash in a game where you have a lot of uses of cash was not good.

I would still rather have that return for the sequel than Kiryu but Ive already lost that fight

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
im reserving my judgment because yakuza 6 was such an awful final game that i can actually empathize with not wanting that to be how kiryu leaves the series. it's near impossible to write anything worse for him than what he got in that game, just absolute unbelievable nonsense

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legit thinking back on yakuza 6's writing just leaves me wondering how the hell like a dragon turned out so much better. like just a significantly better game in every way. what happened to 6.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still don't get why the deceased fixer's lackies were so fearsome kiryu wouldn't even consider opposing them. he'll fight the yakuza, perfidious foreign mobsters, cops, the government, the cia, assassins, zombies, whatever. bring it the gently caress on! but when the newly unemployed associates of a dead guy that kiryu never met make some threats? oh poo poo, time to do everything they say for the rest of his life.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Story is one thing but a lot of 6’s problems otherwise probably boil down to deciding that game was the one that needed to be the Dragon Engine debut and not, like, a remake of Yakuza 1 where a lot of the legwork was already done. I mean, I’m happy with the actual remake of 1 (probably happier than I would be with a hypothetical remake debuting the Engine), but it would have been more pragmatic to have made a smaller scale game to work out the kinks imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i still don't get why the deceased fixer's lackies were so fearsome kiryu wouldn't even consider opposing them. he'll fight the yakuza, perfidious foreign mobsters, cops, the government, the cia, assassins, zombies, whatever. bring it the gently caress on! but when the newly unemployed associates of a dead guy that kiryu never met make some threats? oh poo poo, time to do everything they say for the rest of his life.

well you see he's taking it as a simple opportunity to leave haruka to live her own life without having him doting on her all the time.

you know. a happy ending.

a happy ending where he's left his entire family thinking he's dead. without giving them a single opportunity to have any kind of choice in being separated from him. after he was forced to be away from them for multiple years of his life and only saw the orphans for a single day. after the entirety of the events of yakuza 6 happened because, him choosing to be away from his family out of a misplaced sense of duty, led to haruka's sense of loneliness and isolation and anxiety over being hounded by the press pushing her into abandoning her family and ultimately getting embroiled in a crime conspiracy and run over by a car.

kiryu why did you just choose to do the exact loving thing your entire family did not want you to do a second time. how did you manage to go this entire game, this entire game caused by you making a choice that served no one, and finish your arc by making a choice that serves no one again.