Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh yeah. Redmi Note 11 on miui 13 (android 12). Awful 3.8.20. Android system webview 102.0.5615.101 Autoplay off. WiFi or cell no difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pixel 5a latest update worked fine for me.. I am running beta app though

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh yeah. Redmi Note 11 on miui 13 (android 12). Awful 3.8.20. Android system webview 102.0.5615.101 Autoplay off. WiFi or cell no difference.

Have you tried updating webview? I'm on the current store version which shows for me as 112.0.5615.135. App is Awful 3.8.20 on a Pixel 6a and I haven't noticed any issues.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Images load in lepers colony even though I have only load images on wifi turned on

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Have you tried updating webview? I'm on the current store version which shows for me as 112.0.5615.135. App is Awful 3.8.20 on a Pixel 6a and I haven't noticed any issues.
Just updated to that ending in 136, rebooted, no difference.

I mean, I'll manage. Maybe it disappears on its own like it appeared. If there's not six people saying oh yeah what's up with that then I'll probably have to blame this xiaomi piece of poo poo phone. It apparently doesn't happen on my old android 8 phone, so.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Pixel 6 Pro but I remember this issue on my old Samsung Galaxy S5 too,

Issue: Spoiler tags directly next to an image are unspoilerable because it defers to selecting the image every time

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/957891693577912320/1100566809171722370/screen-20230426-003855.mp4

post link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092&pagenumber=3893&perpage=40&userid=0#post528402027

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 26, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Pixel 6 Pro but I remember this issue on my old Samsung Galaxy S5 too,

Issue: Spoiler tags directly next to an image are unspoilerable because it defers to selecting the image every time

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/957891693577912320/1100566809171722370/screen-20230426-003855.mp4

post link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092&pagenumber=3893&perpage=40&userid=0#post528402027

On Galaxy A50 there's just enough space to hit the spoiler and view it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can unspoiler it on my pixel 7 fwiw, but it took a couple of attempts

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Something I've noticed a few times is that if I start playing a video embed but then back out of the thread and minimize the app, sometimes when I come back later the file will be playing in the background even though I'm not in the thread any more. I'm not sure how frequent it is because you can only tell it's happening by the audio, but I often have the phone muted. It's happened for both imgur and twitter video embeds.

Here's the offending post from today:

You can imagine my horror when I was listening to something else, and suddenly a creepy voice broke in to sigh and tell me he liked being stroked :ohdear:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, that seems to happen to me from time to time. Like, once a month?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's literally all video and audio embeds apart from YouTube all the time if you do the steps as described. (Didn't actually try twitch or tiktok)

You can even just go back to the threadlist and tap another thread without exiting the app and if your internet connection is lovely enough you can hear the audio resuming a fraction of a second before the new content loads.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm having an issue on my Pixel 6a where embedded videos on Twitter won't play unless I hold my finger on the image and scroll up and down slightly. Like, the audio plays, but the video won't progress.
If I click through to the website I have no problems.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oldstench posted:

I'm having an issue on my Pixel 6a where embedded videos on Twitter won't play unless I hold my finger on the image and scroll up and down slightly. Like, the audio plays, but the video won't progress.

lol yeah I get that too on an S21 Ultra at least the workaround is only mildly annoying

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've got the same issue on the TCL pro 20 5G but videos barely run while I'm on Twitter so I didn't even think about it being an app problem.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there a way to copy a thread title that I'm not finding?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
A couple of times today while browsing threads with a lot of code blocks in them, the app has lost the ability to scroll threads.

I can scroll the forums list or my bookmarks, and pull-to-refresh works if I happen to be at the end of a thread page, but other than that I cannot scroll.

This persists if I switch threads; closing and restarting the app clears the fault.

The yospos secfuck thread and the CoC c/c++ thread were the ones I locked up in.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Oldstench posted:

I believe this is a Twitter problem, not an app problem

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Randomized question:

Is there any plan/intent to add the ability to create threads within the app?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I believe there is an open github issue ready for an excited volunteer to implement it

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Daztek posted:

I believe there is an open github issue ready for an excited volunteer to implement it

Would anyone be interested in pairing with me on this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

no

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The imgur anonymous upload deadline has passed. It still seems to be allowing anonymous uploads (for now)

Someone created a formal issue on github: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/issues/774

I was going to create a PR to at least disable anonymous uploads in the UI, until we can get something else figured out. I know nothing about how we would get "logged in" uploads to work, except that when I try and do logged in uploads from imgur's website it redirects me to their app as phone uploads via the web interface were disabled long ago (this may have changed, but I doubt it)

edit: probably relating to this file Awful.apk/src/main/java/com/ferg/awfulapp/reply/ImgurInserter.java

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 16, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Created an (untested) PR here: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/pull/775

I'm assuming it populates that menu from the switch cases, so I just dropped the switch case about imgur uploads, and added a (crude) dead code flag on the file it references. I am not a java dev.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
New pixel 7a here. Twitter embeds don't appear to work, just the unformatted text displays but no images/videos etc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's Twitter for ya! It may start working again soon.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Everything is working on my old Google pixel 3. I do wonder why highlighting text sometimes gives me the option to "web search," sometimes "bing search," sometimes a search button with my preferred browser's logo on it, and sometimes no search option at all. Doesn't seem to be connected to a specific thread or forum. Not really game-breaking, just something I noticed.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Everything is working on my old Google pixel 3. I do wonder why highlighting text sometimes gives me the option to "web search," sometimes "bing search," sometimes a search button with my preferred browser's logo on it, and sometimes no search option at all. Doesn't seem to be connected to a specific thread or forum. Not really game-breaking, just something I noticed.

I've noticed that too... And that also week I select with search sometimes it just loads an already open Firefox tab with our doing the search she's I have to go back to the thread, highlight the text she select web search again. Very strange.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It does give me the option to search Wikipedia pretty consistently, that one usually ends up being what I need anyway.

e and of course it's given me "web search" every time I've checked since I posted that, just to make sure I look like a dick

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Requesting PowerShell to be added to the drop-down list of languages for addding a Code block. SA has supported it for a couple of years, now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I would love it if we could bookmark posts

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Star Man posted:

I would love it if we could bookmark posts

... You can.. top left vertical 3 dot button

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wendigee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em4-DyiAB2A

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Daztek posted:

Oh, nice! I wish I knew enough Java :cripes:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wendigee posted:

That's bookmarking a thread. I want to bookmark a post.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
sorry you can't bookmark my posts

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:tipshat:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

alexandriao posted:

Oh, nice! I wish I knew enough Java :cripes:

Nobody should want to know java

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nobody should want to know java

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted: