Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
LCARS is great because it doesn't actually work as a GUI but it looks like it might which is perfect for sci fi show set dressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, in universe the whole thing about lcars is that it's totally customizable and it reacts to the situation as needed.

But we don't actually have that so it's all just looks and vibes based.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

At the bottom you can hold your mouse button and slide the timeline for more ships. Took me a second to figure it out too.
Yeah I got that, but it's just Enterprises. Is the Defiant and Voyager on there somewhere I'm missing?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Knormal posted:

Yeah I got that, but it's just Enterprises. Is the Defiant and Voyager on there somewhere I'm missing?

I don't remember seeing the Defiant, but Voyager is at the very end under 'Other Ships'.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh yeah, LCARS is great for the shows. Just awful for the real world like on this site.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Knormal posted:

I can only find the Enterprise bridges, and pivot around from a single point. There's other ships and you can move around the bridge? How the hell do you navigate that site?

The interface is... finicky. First you have to click the "enable navigation" button under the bridge video window. Then pick a ship from the list at the bottom -- there's no scroll bar, you have to click and drag horizontally. Then (on most ships, at least) the video should have "click anywhere to continue" written along the bottom of the video. Click the video, and it'll enable mouselook and WASD movement. Hit escape to get your cursor back.

That took some trial and error to figure out. Yeah, extremely finicky.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MrData posted:

What the..how is everyone's mind not collectively exploding right now over https://roddenberry.x.io/ ?

This is insane. You can walk around on ALL the bridges. This is the Captain's Chair CD-ROM from the 90's in turbo-overdrive. It looks like some kind of video streaming they are using, like Google Stadia?

Looks like WebGL rendering it in real time in the web browser, not server-side video streaming stuff. You can load a scene, disconnect from the internet, and keep looking around it if you want - I tried just to be 100% sure, and it definitely works.

WebGL has existed for a while but doesn't see very much use. Independence Day: Resurgence blew as a movie but it had a really cool website that uses a bunch of 3D stuff. https://web.archive.org/web/20160209014603/http://www.warof1996.com/

The archived Wayback Machine version of it is a little slow to load all the art assets though.

edit: Wait while the default view is clearly rendered in the browser the walkaround thing is hitting my network connection hard and stops working when I unplug my cable. What in the world? Are they actually doing Stadia poo poo for something like this? I wonder how expensive that is especially when these scenes wouldn't be very difficult to render in the browser client-side even on phones and poo poo.

edit 2: The more I look at it the more it actually looks... ray traced? They're spinning up servers with RTX GPUs just to show off Star Trek bridges? I feel like I'm going crazy :psyduck:

edit 3: The blog doesn't say for sure but it has ads for a real-time path tracing engine that the company behind the website seems to have made, I guess that's one way to get people sold on it

edit 4: Well my mind is loving blown, I thought there was no way it would be cloud rendered with loving ray tracing but here we are, they're doing it and apparently it's no big deal to do that in 2023

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 29, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't remember seeing the Defiant, but Voyager is at the very end under 'Other Ships'.
Oh, it was going in chronological order so I just stopped scrolling at the 32nd century Enterprise, I didn't even realize there were whole other categories. Wow they really just used straight-up cheap office chairs for those side stations on Voyager, huh? The Defiant feels like a pretty big omission now.

Powered Descent posted:

The interface is... finicky. First you have to click the "enable navigation" button under the bridge video window. Then pick a ship from the list at the bottom -- there's no scroll bar, you have to click and drag horizontally. Then (on most ships, at least) the video should have "click anywhere to continue" written along the bottom of the video. Click the video, and it'll enable mouselook and WASD movement. Hit escape to get your cursor back.

That took some trial and error to figure out. Yeah, extremely finicky.
And this feature just straight up isn't available under Firefox. But in Chrome, that is insanely awesome.

BattleMaster posted:

Looks like WebGL rendering it in real time in the web browser, not server-side video streaming stuff. You can load a scene, disconnect from the internet, and keep looking around it if you want - I tried just to be 100% sure, and it definitely works.

WebGL has existed for a while but doesn't see very much use. Independence Day: Resurgence blew as a movie but it had a really cool website that uses a bunch of 3D stuff. https://web.archive.org/web/20160209014603/http://www.warof1996.com/

The archived Wayback Machine version of it is a little slow to load all the art assets though.

edit: Wait while the default view is clearly rendered in the browser the walkaround thing is hitting my network connection hard and stops working when I unplug my cable. What in the world? Are they actually doing Stadia poo poo for something like this? I wonder how expensive that is especially when these scenes wouldn't be very difficult to render in the browser client-side even on phones and poo poo.

edit 2: The more I look at it the more it actually looks... ray traced? They're spinning up servers with RTX GPUs just to show off Star Trek bridges? I feel like I'm going crazy :psyduck:

edit 3: The blog doesn't say for sure but it has ads for a real-time path tracing engine that the company behind the website seems to have made, I guess that's one way to get people sold on it

edit 4: Well my mind is loving blown, I thought there was no way it would be cloud rendered with loving ray tracing but here we are, they're doing it and apparently it's no big deal to do that in 2023
Whatever they're doing they seem to be using a FPS engine rather than free-floating camera, I tried to walk forward on the TOS bridge and got stuck on one of the rails so the camera has collision. Agreed that this is some insane tech for what it is.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008
I haven't explored everything yet but on the Enterprise D you can walk into the turbolifts (including Battle Bridge), Ready Room and Observation lounge. From that Youtube video they posted I think I also saw a glimpse of the Transporter Room and corridors so we might even get more stuff to explore. And since the people from Stage 9 are working on this can I even dare to dream about...engineering?

edit: I love that they clearly tried to make it set-accurate rather than pristine show-accurate. If you go right upto some surfaces like the turbolift walls or forward consoles you can see scratches and imperfections in the paintwork.

MrData fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 29, 2023

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I’d forgotten the disappointment of the Captain’s Chair. gently caress QuickTime!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This might be of interest for some in the thread: while browsing Barnes and Noble this morning, I found a nice hardback coffee table book celebrating Voyager. For all the talk of DS9 being the "redheaded stepchild" of Trek, Voyager is often the forgotten series.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Voyager and Enterprise are really banking on the "a bit dull is actually not that bad"-hindsight, although with ENT the script recycling went to the degree where it would get an award for climate action if it were shot today.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the barnes and noble by me was one of the only ones in the country that had a used book section and it closed last month :cry:

every book on this shelf except for Stitch in Time, DS9 Companion and Mirror Broken are from the Used Annex :smith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wasn't aware it existed until you posted. So thanks!

I might have said this before: Voyager's bridge is weird. The TOS, TNG and DS9 (Defiant) bridges have a 'flow' to them, but Voyager's bridge has weird nooks and crannies that make it seem like the floor of a modernistic skyscraper. It's my least favorite design.

They wanted to have everyone facing forward, so the nooks were the way to do that. The big mistake was the side stations that were too far to the side and so they just ended up kinda forgetting about them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This might be of interest for some in the thread: while browsing Barnes and Noble this morning, I found a nice hardback coffee table book celebrating Voyager. For all the talk of DS9 being the "redheaded stepchild" of Trek, Voyager is often the forgotten series.

I think that's only because people have been saying "actually DS9 is good even though it's less popular than Voyager" for decades. Inevitably the pendulum swings just from that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sir Lemming posted:

I think that's only because people have been saying "actually DS9 is good even though it's less popular than Voyager" for decades. Inevitably the pendulum swings just from that.

The problem is that DS9 wasn't actually less popular than Voyager, at least not when they're were airing, even when both shows were airing simultaneously. I feel like a lot of this stuff about DS9 being the less popular one really predates Voyager, because DS9 was unequivocally less popular than TNG. Voyager was supposed to be a return to form, but people kind of forget that it didn't really work out at all.

DS9 gets remembered as the show that couldn't live up to TNG's legacy, and everyone forgets that Voyager failed to reverse that decline, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It did work for Voyager. Just not til '04, when Voyager But Good came out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DS9 was viewed more at the time because of it going straight to syndication while Voyager was the flagship of UPN, so Voyager got more corporate attention and push in that role even though DS9 technically has higher numbers, so it was easy to get the impression DS9 was less popular.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Paradoxish posted:

The problem is that DS9 wasn't actually less popular than Voyager, at least not when they're were airing, even when both shows were airing simultaneously. I feel like a lot of this stuff about DS9 being the less popular one really predates Voyager, because DS9 was unequivocally less popular than TNG. Voyager was supposed to be a return to form, but people kind of forget that it didn't really work out at all.

DS9 gets remembered as the show that couldn't live up to TNG's legacy, and everyone forgets that Voyager failed to reverse that decline, too.

I think there's also the impression that DS9 didn't/doesn't get enough credit for making some big swings, while VOY is perceived (rightly or wrongly) as the show that played it safe.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

DS9 was viewed more at the time because of it going straight to syndication while Voyager was the flagship of UPN, so Voyager got more corporate attention and push in that role even though DS9 technically has higher numbers, so it was easy to get the impression DS9 was less popular.

This. UPN advertised the f out of Voyager. As bland as it was for 90% of the series, it always had like 9x the advertising versus DS9

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

They wanted to have everyone facing forward, so the nooks were the way to do that. The big mistake was the side stations that were too far to the side and so they just ended up kinda forgetting about them.
I've always wondered what came first, the set nooks or the model nooks, and if they had to build in one in response to the other. Even though I don't think the scale lines up right, so maybe the model bits are supposed to be something else.

MikeJF posted:

I think regardless of viewership at the time, Voyager is remembered a lot more by the rest of the fandom outside of SA and Paramount, see for example nothing from DS9 being on that Roddenberry site, various captains lists and montages over the years that have just straight up forgotten Sisko, stuff like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Knormal posted:

I've always wondered what came first, the set nooks or the model nooks, and if they had to build in one in response to the other. Even though I don't think the scale lines up right, so maybe the model bits are supposed to be something else.

The bridge is the middle part, the Y around it is the conference room, ready room, and a bunch of stuff that was never on screen.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I always loved the Voyager design. I remember they revealed it in the newspaper back in the day and I still think it looks cool as hell.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

That Enterprise from Star Trek: Planet of the Titans that they have on https://roddenberry.x.io/ just looks awful. I don't know how they planned to film in that thing with the captain raised 10 feet above everyone else, and aside from that it just seems like a dumb design. What's with the XO and Troi chair in front of the Captain's chair (that is itself on a ziggaraut for some reason) positioned right in front of the lip of the raised platform, so they can fall 10 feet whenever they get in to a battle :confused:

Aside from that one, I think everything else on there seems like a pretty nice bridge. They don't seem to have the disco ship, which is the one I feel like would seem really bad, mostly because in the show it always seemed really weirdly spacious? Even the ones from Picard on the site don't seem that bad, although I think they're the worst of the bunch -- lots of wide open spaces and too many steps.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

piratepilates posted:

That Enterprise from Star Trek: Planet of the Titans that they have on https://roddenberry.x.io/ just looks awful. I don't know how they planned to film in that thing with the captain raised 10 feet above everyone else, and aside from that it just seems like a dumb design. What's with the XO and Troi chair in front of the Captain's chair (that is itself on a ziggaraut for some reason) positioned right in front of the lip of the raised platform, so they can fall 10 feet whenever they get in to a battle :confused:

i'm a big fan of the slanted turbolift decanting officers onto the bridge platform.

Also the ENT-E bridge is actually pretty good in this comparison IMO.

Edit: This is a very minor quibble, but it bothers me that the PIC-era bridges are aesthetically more hierarchal than the older bridges, with the captain placed at the highest point. This is particularly noticeable in the Ent-F bridge, which literally has a two-step Captain's Pedestal just to make sure they are above it all. I don't think the older bridges were really specifically designed against that - more likely they were designed to get as many cast members as possible in a shot - but I always thought it was a nice touch that while the captain's chair was the center of attention, the captain didn't need Q's floating throne just to have authority.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tom Tucker posted:

I always loved the Voyager design. I remember they revealed it in the newspaper back in the day and I still think it looks cool as hell.

Voyager is like peak Sternbach iteration on Probert’s Galaxy design. Sternbach did an amazing job of making it look like a dumpier more work-man like version but still set in the same universe and a slight iteration on the elegant flagship of the Galaxy class.

Now compare that to whatever was pulled out of the rear end for most of NuTrek and even First Contact before it and lolz

Also peep these well thought out deck floor plans for the ship. Strategic Designs’ Voyager and Defiant deck plans are awesome.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 30, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The bridge is the middle part, the Y around it is the conference room, ready room, and a bunch of stuff that was never on screen.

Yeah, specifically I believe the ready room is the bottom of the picture as shown, and the conference room is the back? Maybe the other arm of the 'Y' is an office for Chakotay? One nice thing in Lower Decks is Ransom apparently having his own little office

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh right, that makes a lot more sense.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tighclops posted:

LCARS is great because it doesn't actually work as a GUI but it looks like it might which is perfect for sci fi show set dressing

It can if we try hard enough, drat it!!!!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kesper North posted:

It can if we try hard enough, drat it!!!!!!!

I mean you could just do the windows 8.1 solution and allow you to switch to desktop when no ones looking.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Counterpoint: it looks cool as hell

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, specifically I believe the ready room is the bottom of the picture as shown, and the conference room is the back? Maybe the other arm of the 'Y' is an office for Chakotay? One nice thing in Lower Decks is Ransom apparently having his own little office

The ready room is bottom of the pic and the conference room is the top, we never saw the back area to the left.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The ready room is bottom of the pic and the conference room is the top, we never saw the back area to the left.

executive shitter

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Janeway's emergency coffee storage

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i'm a big fan of the slanted turbolift decanting officers onto the bridge platform.

Also the ENT-E bridge is actually pretty good in this comparison IMO.

Edit: This is a very minor quibble, but it bothers me that the PIC-era bridges are aesthetically more hierarchal than the older bridges, with the captain placed at the highest point. This is particularly noticeable in the Ent-F bridge, which literally has a two-step Captain's Pedestal just to make sure they are above it all. I don't think the older bridges were really specifically designed against that - more likely they were designed to get as many cast members as possible in a shot - but I always thought it was a nice touch that while the captain's chair was the center of attention, the captain didn't need Q's floating throne just to have authority.

The grim militaristic alternate timeline in Yesterday’s Enterprise features an elevated captain’s chair and a darkly lit bridge. Now all Starfleet ships are shown that way.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Yeah, we only got two modern series with prominent Voyager characters. Totally forgotten.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, we only got two modern series with prominent Voyager characters. Totally forgotten.

Voyager is also the most-streamed Classic Trek series of the whole lot. It was also more watched than DS9, even back in it's heyday.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

nine-gear crow posted:

Voyager is also the most-streamed Classic Trek series of the whole lot. It was also more watched than DS9, even back in it's heyday.

The triumph of mediocracy!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

The triumph of mediocracy!

It's basically an axiom at this point: people will tell you they loved Deep Space Nine, but they actually watched Voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Edit: This is a very minor quibble, but it bothers me that the PIC-era bridges are aesthetically more hierarchal than the older bridges, with the captain placed at the highest point. This is particularly noticeable in the Ent-F bridge, which literally has a two-step Captain's Pedestal just to make sure they are above it all.

Eh, there's a lot of sense to doing it like that: on the Stargazer bridge and its reuses, the captain can turn and directly look at and address any station with ease, they're all an easy glance away. One of the big flaws with most of the 24th century ships (except the Defiant) is that a lot of the stations are entirely out of the captain's view, in favour of putting them in the audience's view instead. The aesthetic hierarchy makes sense from an organisational and practical point of view: the captain is meant to be the top of the chain to which all the information flows.

It's worst on Voyager, where Tom is the only one the captain can naturally see, and she has no idea what's happening anywhere else. We get a lot of shots of Janeway craning around to hold a conversation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 30, 2023