Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Surely the Bruins will start Swayman in Game 7, right? Ullmark is loving shook.

Changing your goalie for game 7 is a level of boldness and paying attention above and beyond what I would expect from an NHL coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

What about game 2?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

What about game 2?

Both the 06 Canes and 18 Caps made the switch in game 2.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Hand Knit posted:

Both the 06 Canes and 18 Caps made the switch in game 2.

I believe he was making a joke about the Wild switching from Filip Gustavsson to MAF after the 2OT game 1 in the Wild-Stars series, and how "great" that worked out for them. But yeah, not a whole lot of examples of teams going far switching goaltenders--maybe that's because it's a forbidden coaching technique that instantly loses the locker room or something like that.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Pungry posted:

I believe he was making a joke about the Wild switching from Filip Gustavsson to MAF after the 2OT game 1 in the Wild-Stars series, and how "great" that worked out for them. But yeah, not a whole lot of examples of teams going far switching goaltenders--maybe that's because it's a forbidden coaching technique that instantly loses the locker room or something like that.

j...okes?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Jack Eichel won a playoff series before Auston Matthews. Lol.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Surely the Bruins will start Swayman in Game 7, right? Ullmark is loving shook.

I think they got to. Ullmark has been good all year but he's clearly still dealing with lingering effects of being sick, or hurt, or whatever it is that they've been all coy about. Every loss this series has been on him, and every win wasn't because he did anything special. Swayman is their goalie of the future and was top 5 in GAA, save percentage, and shutouts in the regular season - I think they should give him a shot and if he wins it they should just play him for the rest of the playoffs.

But also:

Hand Knit posted:

Changing your goalie for game 7 is a level of boldness and paying attention above and beyond what I would expect from an NHL coach.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think in the 02 Cup Finals run Maurice changed goalies in every series except the Finals, Irbe and Weekes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think they got to. Ullmark has been good all year but he's clearly still dealing with lingering effects of being sick, or hurt, or whatever it is that they've been all coy about. Every loss this series has been on him, and every win wasn't because he did anything special. Swayman is their goalie of the future and was top 5 in GAA, save percentage, and shutouts in the regular season - I think they should give him a shot and if he wins it they should just play him for the rest of the playoffs.

But also:

You’re right that they would continue to play Swayman if he wins game 7 which is tough for Ullmark but better than losing game 7! It would also give Ullmark a chance to recover from whatever is ailing him so they could start him later in the playoffs.

But starting Ullmark in game 7 would be insane at this point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's pretty rad that even on a saturday when they could book a game at noon that east coasters would have to stay up until midnight to see the best player in the world.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matthews is playing at 7, though?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

th3t00t posted:

Jack Eichel won a playoff series before Auston Matthews. Lol.

OMG.

God the Leafs are brutal

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

It's pretty rad that even on a saturday when they could book a game at noon that east coasters would have to stay up until midnight to see the best player in the world.

No one outside Edmonton cares about McDavid or the Oilers and the NHL knows this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

No one outside Edmonton cares about McDavid or the Oilers and the NHL knows this.

I was talking about Leon Draisaitl.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

I was talking about Leon Draisaitl.

Is that a Xenoblade character?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Worstern Conference

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All three of these series better go to 7. They are all too funny and have the tantilizing promise of top quality meltdowns.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

All three of these series better go to 7. They are all too funny and have the tantilizing promise of top quality meltdowns.

100%

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the wings split starts between osgood and hasek in the 08 regular season. they chose hasek as the #1 going into round 1 versus nashville. he was fine in the first two games but got lit up in 3 and 4.
so with the series tied 2-2 babcock went to osgood. iirc he made some comment about how usually if you switch a goalie in the middle of a round you are hosed. osgood proceeded to have his best ever playoffs and the wings won the cup.
this has been red wings history

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Is that a Xenoblade character?

No, he's the alter-ego of Geman Superman.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Furnaceface posted:

I do

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Rob Gherson did a nice analysis comparing Samsonov's play between game 3 and game 5. The short version is that after he gives up a bad goal to Eyssimont he started overreacting to everything which meant he was never properly in position and consequently slid all over the place like a lunatic. Which is more or less in line with what we've been talking about. Gherson illustrates it well.

https://twitter.com/goalie_school/status/1652384360069201922?s=20

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Hand Knit posted:

Rob Gherson did a nice analysis comparing Samsonov's play between game 3 and game 5. The short version is that after he gives up a bad goal to Eyssimont he started overreacting to everything which meant he was never properly in position and consequently slid all over the place like a lunatic. Which is more or less in line with what we've been talking about. Gherson illustrates it well.

https://twitter.com/goalie_school/status/1652384360069201922?s=20

cool to see NHL players tilting like I did when I had a rough game in net

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Activate and unleash the Matt Murray Toronto, you clowns!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Activate and unleash the Matt Murray Toronto, you clowns!

He’s still not cleared to play afaik, it’s Joseph Woll or bust. Though if Sammy fucks this up maybe they just tie Murray to the posts

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Toronto, for the love of God please bring your “A” game tonight so you’ll lose and bless our thread with a game 7.

Amen.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Whole lotta skaters changing lines and going in/out of the Leafs lineup but the only player that actually matters tonight is Samsonov

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fermun posted:

Called a minor on the ice so couldn't even be reviewed despite Cogliano going off injured :dumb:

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1652158856993144832

edit: Cogliano managed to return to the bench about 20 minutes later so probably no suspension for Eberle despite this being an incredibly dangerous hit.

Cogliano is probably done for the playoffs, probably career at his age and on an expiring contract, after the game had an x-ray and he's got a broken neck

edit: So Kraken have done 2 likely career-ending hits on the Avs this series

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It is absolutely insane that Eberle didn't get a major, a hearing, a suspension, or even a paltry fine. What the gently caress DoPS.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Slo-mo only replays are the worst.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1652446286891864064?s=46&t=49RZw0dBWxacDdvE8sT2FQ

Players safety is an absolute joke in this league

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Upper body injury, and is day-to-day as competitive game management.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hockey players are so soft, can’t even play with a fractured neck

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

WeaponX posted:

Hockey players are so soft, can’t even play with a fractured neck

He actually did play the full 3rd period with the fractured neck.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Really hosed up hit, how is that not even a fine

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

leafs will win

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Go Avs and Cats
:hai:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pungry posted:

It is absolutely insane that Eberle didn't get a major, a hearing, a suspension, or even a paltry fine. What the gently caress DoPS.

I think the thing that saved Eberle from anything extra here is Cogliano turning right as the hit is coming making it through the back instead of through the side. If he hadn't have turned right then that hit isn't nearly as bad. It's still probably boarding either way, but the initial position wasn't going to end with his neck being compacted into the boards. I did think they'd start with the 5 so they could take a look at it, but I could see the refs explaining to the captains the call and motioning the turn. That part probably wasn't televised.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol that the Avs' trainers/doctors whothefuckever just let him keep playing with a broken neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

eXXon posted:

lol that the Avs' trainers/doctors whothefuckever just let him keep playing with a broken neck.

because its the cup