Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

frajaq posted:

holy moly some of you people are so far ahead of me... I've just done the climatic Jarilo-VI fight and still have so many side quests to do...

And that’s totally fine! I still haven’t finished Ice Planet.

The polish on this game is great and I’m in no rush to get to endgame or whatever there is now. Greatly enjoying the characters and conversations way more than Genshin atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I'm as far along as I am because the game is charming as hell and I want to mainline it like a drug.

I was up until like 2 AM on Thursday because I lost track of time. :negative:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of us are saving our golden tickets for other stuff, okay? :negative:
Waiting for Kafka is quite a trial.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm loving the game so far. The sci-fi anime, the train flying through space, the character designs, the weirdo protagonist, the insane lore bits.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Interesting how the third location has similar themes to Liyue in Genshin (bureaucracy run amok) but where it feels overly serious and plodding in Genshin, here it feels satirical and entertaining.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I'm as far along as I am because the game is charming as hell and I want to mainline it like a drug.

The best way I can put it is that the game has "good vibes." Something about its general tone with the writing/music/etc works really well.

frajaq posted:

holy moly some of you people are so far ahead of me... I've just done the climatic Jarilo-VI fight and still have so many side quests to do...

I'm still not done with Jarilo lol (I'm pretty soon after you fight Svarog). I've been taking my time, because I know that the drought between starting story content and the next major story content is usually one of the longest.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Hell yeah got a lucky Bailu.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There's a distinct lack of trash cans on the third planet. I'm very disappointed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They have those piles of boxes filled with discarded personal effects. What are those if not trash cans?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's a distinct lack of trash cans on the third planet. I'm very disappointed.

Abandoned Amazon packages littering the city are the new trash cans, afaict.

I fed a bunch of trash to a sentient jar that I kept insisting on smacking and was rewarded for it. 10/10

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Abandoned Amazon packages littering the city are the new trash cans, afaict.

I fed a bunch of trash to a sentient jar and was rewarded for it. 10/10

Pretty sure that was a guy living inside an alternate dimension inside the jar.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Whats this talk I'm hearing of an upcoming free 10 pull?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sampo and Regin are the worst. But this opinion is just formed from my interactions with them on ice planet.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I have rolled three 5*s so far. They were all Bronya. Which like, those are some okay buffs but I'd really have preferred getting more characters than slight improvements on an already good one? It took me 76 rolls on Seele's banner to get that third one too. Even though I want her I might just start saving for Kafka instead since my next one is guaranteed banner unit.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

TV Zombie posted:

Sampo and Regin are the worst. But this opinion is just formed from my interactions with them on ice planet.

Whew, okay I was hesitant about revealing my Sampo dislike in the thread.

I get what they were going for, but the thing that bugs me is it sounds like his English VA can’t decide how he wants him to sound from line to line.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I wasn't onboard the Sampo train, but the end of the planet's storyline at least made him interesting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find that like 90% of the time I notice people strongly disliking a character that I thought seemed fine/unremarkable, it's because of that character having a weird/bad English dub. In Sampo's case, he's just supposed to be "a bullshit artist who is very unreliable and untrustworthy, but ultimately isn't a bad guy" (and probably has some stuff going on that I haven't seen yet, but the gist of his characterization is clear).

A good example of this is Ghondor from Xenoblade 3, who is apparently very obnoxious in English but is originally just "a rebellious teen." Granted, I'm not sure how best to translate "kuso-onna" to English, but I'm pretty sure the answer isn't the "bitchqueen" the localization went with. Even just "bitch" would have been better, but still a little too intense since curse words don't really work the same in Japanese.

This isn't a knock on English dubs in general and is more just a general comment that "if a character seems really annoying, it might be due to the dub." The biggest weaknesses of contemporary English VA vs their Japanese counterparts tend to be 1. worse/less directing (like situations where the English VAs are obviously just handed the script and given little/no direction) and/or 2. less prominent characters in English dubs often have worse voice acting. The big names in English VA are great these days, but their seem to be fewer high quality ones so the Japanese ones are often more reliable for games with larger numbers of voiced characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ytlaya posted:

I find that like 90% of the time I notice people strongly disliking a character that I thought seemed fine/unremarkable, it's because of that character having a weird/bad English dub. In Sampo's case, he's just supposed to be "a bullshit artist who is very unreliable and untrustworthy, but ultimately isn't a bad guy" (and probably has some stuff going on that I haven't seen yet, but the gist of his characterization is clear).

Oh yeah, I didn't dislike the guy for any dialogue reasons, he just manages to keep crossing your path in the skeeziest way possible.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

oh lord, these bubbles are a whole another novel.

i saw a mailbox and helped push the letters in and got a good morality stamp.

but then lost it later when I saw a note posted on a dumpster and decided to write over it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I threw a coin into a skiff engine and got arrested by the cops, but they couldn't lock me up because I was friends with the general. Ultimate power.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 30, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's very funny that you get a moral praise item for filling out that hotel questionnaire because man I put that place on BLAST

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

You also get a moral praise item for (Hotel Area) climbing into a closet for awhile and then scaring some poor room service lady half to death so who's to say what the gently caress the compass for morals is in this universe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's what happens when your society worships eldritch gods.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I really enjoyed Sampo whenever he showed up, and loved his VA. Yeah there's some skeeviness to his energy, but the contrast made him fun to be around, especially cause he is shockingly reliable. I went into ice planet thinking he was just gonna be a bit-part comic relief character, but he turned out to be a breath of fresh air whenever he was there.

In contrast, my opinions on Bronya and Seele took a nose dive from decent to thoroughly annoyed with due to the decision made at the end of the story. Seriously, that made no sense based of everything the characters just went through, and the very themes of the story of this planet. Seele speaking up and saying that the truth should be suppressed was completely out of character, and Bronya going along with it just undermined a lot of her character development.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I lost my morality stamp when I checked a piece of ticking luggage thinking it was a bomb but it was a watch and my character stole it

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I can't help but pick the straight man options in most rpgs so I enjoy hearing the stories of everyone else's trailblazers acting like complete lunatics

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

sat on a toilet in the space station and got flushed ended up somewhere else in the station

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

I lost my morality stamp when I checked a piece of ticking luggage thinking it was a bomb but it was a watch and my character stole it

I'm going to assume the watch gets used later since it's a quest item

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leraika posted:

I can't help but pick the straight man options in most rpgs so I enjoy hearing the stories of everyone else's trailblazers acting like complete lunatics

I try to be semi-serious during MSQ but I go wild in sidequests.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also who the gently caress hates Sampo he's just tryin' ta make a livin' ya know

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

I'm going to assume the watch gets used later since it's a quest item

Not a big thing but you can find the owner and give it back, I still have this music box I got from what seemed like a ghost in Rivet town still, not found a use for it yet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My trailblazer is a tired girl who mocks everyone around her but ultimately saves the day because it's the right thing to do

And I got an achievement for playing her this way too lmao

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MadHat posted:

Not a big thing but you can find the owner and give it back, I still have this music box I got from what seemed like a ghost in Rivet town still, not found a use for it yet.

For that one go back to where you got the bells from the enemy and there'll be someone there to give it to.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sampo Koski is my friend and he has done nothing wrong.

Honestly his english VA made me like him more, not less.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

the watch goes to some npc dude standing around in the admin zone i think he gave me some credits for giving it back to him. honestly i’m surprised at how many little mini quests there are in this that aren’t marked, you have to talk to npcs and then it turns out that random item you picked up somewhere is what they were looking for.

or in my case i ended up playing hide and seek with hook.

like this is a gacha game but even without it, it feels as if it could stand on its own with some minor tweaks to the live service bits.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
sampo is a sleezy used car sales man and that owns?

smh

I do wish this game had five party members instead of four, it makes a lot of these characters a lot less attractive when you'll be down one or two "actually do damage" people, especially in a game where elites and bosses can just kinda go "perish."

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

GateOfD posted:

sat on a toilet in the space station and got flushed ended up somewhere else in the station

Disappointingly, the toilets you spawn all vanish on the day reset.

Alternatively, every day is a new opportunity to put toilets in offices all over the station.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sampo's VA is bad but he's probably the best ice planet character so far.

Anyway getting into this and man if this was a weird AA PS4 rpg it'd be totally my jam but all the games as a service stuff like the need for grinding and time gating poo poo is a shame even though i've played enough mobile games to be mostly fine with it. You can tell the devs are passionate about making a jrpg (game has a surprising amount of Trails influence so you know they aren't just chasing whats popular) and there's a lot of fun touches all over but sorta disappointing a game that has a lot of promise probably wont be able to fully realise it due to these current industry trends. Still having a good time though. The main party's a lot of fun.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Osama The Destruction's days are numbered and I didn't even spend a dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sampo owns, though I play in Japanese but his voice is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iKsOFFcpRc