Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The leafs basically have to win the cup now. I mean, they won’t, but that’s what the fans will expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Duckman2008 posted:

Down goes brown for the win

The Athletic is slowly turning into buzzfeed with the constant fan mailbags and 5 Leafs Facts You Didn’t Know, Number 3 Will Blow Your Mind

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

I love that the iconic call from the Leafs series winner is quickly becoming Joe Bowen loudly celebrating the wrong goal scorer.

https://twitter.com/LeafsJelly/status/1652497379965251586?s=20

If MLSE didn't want that to happen maybe they should've actually had the radio crew at the game, instead of calling it from a studio in Toronto.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Athletic is slowly turning into buzzfeed with the constant fan mailbags and 5 Leafs Facts You Didn’t Know, Number 3 Will Blow Your Mind

While I like his articles and podcasts specifically , as well as a few others, you aren’t wrong with this take.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

If MLSE didn't want that to happen maybe they should've actually had the radio crew at the game, instead of calling it from a studio in Toronto.

I mean sure I'm fully in support of that notion, but Bowen correctly identified Tavares as the puck carrier and shooter up to the point where it goes into the net where he suddenly switches to Rielly presumably because he was the first guy rushing to the bench to celebrate?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

I mean sure I'm fully in support of that notion, but Bowen correctly identified Tavares as the puck carrier and shooter up to the point where it goes into the net where he suddenly switches to Rielly presumably because he was the first guy rushing to the bench to celebrate?

It bounced off of someone in front of the net and if you listen to the end of the clip the NHL did initially have it down as Rielly's goal.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

The leafs basically have to win the cup now. I mean, they won’t, but that’s what the fans will expect.

Now I want them to go all the way to a game seven cup final overtime loss in Toronto.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Now I want them to go all the way to a game seven cup final overtime loss in Toronto.

Leafs fans would literally burn Toronto to the ground.

:gritin:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Waking up and walking down the avenues with a pep in my step because YOUR Toronto Maple Leafs are Stanley Cup champions. Move over Jon Bon Jovi , there's a new banner in town.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
with the bruins looking shaky and the cats being coached by paul maurice i feel like the leafs have a really good shot at making it to the conference final.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
big knights fan

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
drat, Samsonov has been good these playoffs. This is what having a good goaltender does to a team.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

big knights fan

Luv da Knights go Knights

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The King is dead. Long live the Knight.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well, the leafs won. But, I got so see a fan chug a beer out of a filthy traffic cone, so a mixed bag.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Kraken move on tonight

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers are really cool and play fun hockey games and anyone cheering against them hates fun and cool.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Twin Cinema posted:

drat, Samsonov has been good these playoffs. This is what having a good goaltender does to a team.

Samsonov is bad, the defense is bad, but ROR was the depth forward Toronto has been lacking. They could beat Florida, but they don’t beat Boston. Tampa didn’t have the defensive depth to collapse like they did last year and frustrate the leafs.

Also I’m so devils in they are just so cool and they zip around so zippy zipperson man I like the devils give me a t-bone avatar immediately.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Sounds like it's being reported the Bruins are making the switch for game 7

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/1652700905857327107

I think on the balance of probabilities it's the right move, too bad for Ullmark that a miracle season ends like this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I was going to assert without checking that his sv% is the worst of any Leafs playoff goalie in recent memory but his .900 is slightly better than Campbell's .897 last year and Andersen's .896 from 2018. The more you know!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go Cats go Avs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's a lol

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Wonderllama posted:

Samsonov is bad, the defense is bad, but ROR was the depth forward Toronto has been lacking. They could beat Florida, but they don’t beat Boston. Tampa didn’t have the defensive depth to collapse like they did last year and frustrate the leafs.

On the other hand, no.

eXXon posted:

I was going to assert without checking that his sv% is the worst of any Leafs playoff goalie in recent memory but his .900 is slightly better than Campbell's .897 last year and Andersen's .896 from 2018. The more you know!

Game 1 sucked, but he was fine to good the rest of the way. It’s all the Leafs need.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers are really cool and play fun hockey games and anyone cheering against them hates fun and cool.
No team should be allowed to be good because they sucked for so long that they loaded up on a bunch of top-10 picks. And even then only became good once they lucked into the best player since Mario.

I know, I know, I should cry more. Fine. But it's bad for the league if the Oilers win.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

No team should be allowed to be good because they sucked for so long that they loaded up on a bunch of top-10 picks. And even then only became good once they lucked into the best player since Mario.

I know, I know, I should cry more. Fine. But it's bad for the league if the Oilers win.

it's a good argument about how the draft is fundamentally bullshit, but it's not the entire reason the Oilers are good right now.. Obviously the team has sucked rear end with McDavid and Draisaitl in previous years.. the main thing that finally has got them over the hump is that the rest of the lineup isn't filled out with trash right at this moment.

I don't think it's particularly sustainable because a lot of their secondary players are older, declining assets on long term contracts, but for now it's working for them.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
also they were able to cheat and magically mike smith went from playing in the playoffs to "being injured" and also they're Scum holes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

How many top 10 picks are allowed on a cup winning team? How about top 15?

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Counterpoint: gently caress da oilers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

also they were able to cheat and magically mike smith went from playing in the playoffs to "being injured" and also they're Scum holes

Mike Smith would have been a better goaltender (and a whole lot cheaper) than Jack Campbell!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

How many top 10 picks are allowed on a cup winning team? How about top 15?
2012 Kings needed only one. Two if you count Brayden Schenn (+Simmonds) becoming Mike Richards.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 30, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

Also back to this nonsense, you know that the same thing you're talking about for the Oilers holds for the Avs and Penguins right? Teams being bad for a long time and stocking up on top 5 picks wasn't invented by the Oilers mismanagement.

Mr. Kite posted:

2012 Kings needed only one. Two if you count Brayden Schenn (+Simmonds) becoming Mike Richards.

You didn't answer my question at all.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Also back to this nonsense, you know that the same thing you're talking about for the Oilers holds for the Avs and Penguins right? Teams being bad for a long time and stocking up on top 5 picks wasn't invented by the Oilers mismanagement.
You're right. Those teams are lame too.

quote:

You didn't answer my question at all.
When you say "allowed," do you mean legally or practically?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Ullmark has been shaky and that game 5 OT goal was really bad, but man is that a lot of pressure for Swayman coming in to game 7 with the team reeling and him not having started in weeks

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

When you say "allowed," do you mean legally or practically?

You're the one who used the term "allowed to be good" so you explain it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Dallas Stars are obviously the most pure of all teams, being fueled almost entirely by lower draft picks and trade / free agent acquisitions.

The one time that the NHL tried to sneak them a high draft pick, the team graciously passed on taking Cale Makar so that the miserable Avs could finally climb out of the basement.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Literally the only other way to build a team is to basically buy a cup with cap space, and people bitch about that too.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mr. Kite posted:

You're in the wrong thread, why don't you head to the loser thread for fans of teams that lost in the first round

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

You're the one who used the term "allowed to be good" so you explain it.
Okay then. Two top-10 picks. Maybe a third if its 5-10.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Sammy was down there with them until last night, he definitely didn’t have a great overall series but he stepped up in a game that mattered and that’s more than Andersen or Campbell ever did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Wonderllama posted:

Also I’m so devils in they are just so cool and they zip around so zippy zipperson man I like the devils give me a t-bone avatar immediately.

let's meet in the middle

Levitate posted:

Playoffs have unfortunately lined up with a really stressful time for me so I'll admit I"m fair weather fan posting here now (really super hard to want to watch games when I'm stressed as gently caress about other stuff and then the Rangers pull what they have), but my hot take at this moment is that the Devils kinda played like rear end in the first two games to some extent and the Rangers managed to rope-a-dope themselves and spent the past several games kinda expecting the Devils to give them stuff rather than playing the games like they need to go take control of the game and win it. At least, that's kinda what game 5 felt like. Just...low energy waiting for the game to fall into their laps.

Hope your RL stuff ends up OK, sorry you're going through that man! It has been a stressful series for sure. I've got a bad feeling about game 7 but I'm sure everyone on both sides does at this point. It would be really nice to see Bratt, Meier, Hischier, or Tatar score a goal.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Ullmark has been shaky and that game 5 OT goal was really bad, but man is that a lot of pressure for Swayman coming in to game 7 with the team reeling and him not having started in weeks

They haven't named a starter yet, right? And don't plan to? Sure seems like they'll go with Swayman based on those comments after the game though. We were trying to come up with Vezina winners who have been benched in the playoffs over the past 30-40 years or so and we got to Fleury (2021) and Jim Carey (1996).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 30, 2023