Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Apr 26, 1954)

This is a joke about Liberace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hostile V posted:

I zoomed in way close and I think the artist's earrings are Saitama's face from One Punch Man.

They are! Great find and what a guy Bob is. :3:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Did Billy wear a blazer to kindergarten?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Shouldn't a toxic soup contain toxic stuff and not vegetables?

I'll give it one thing. I see the color of that broccoli and I agree that Dethany is one of the most toxic elements in that soup.

A Good Comic

A Bad Comic

And with this, we have completed the backlog of Home Free and are now caught up to current! Now that we have enough of a sample size to form opinions about this comic, it's time to decide whether or not I keep posting it. I'm actually leaning toward continuing. It's not a good comic, but the art and the writing are juuuuust close enough to competent to make it interesting (and sometimes a little bit disturbing, ngl). I'm weirded out enough to want to see where it goes.

For those who hate this thing, look on the bright side. The normal posting schedule for Home Free is three days a week, so you're still going to get less of it than you have been.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hoover Dam posted:

This is a joke about Liberace

Interesting! I was wondering what Schulz was on about.

Also I never actually bothered to listen to him play piano before and it turns out that he's actually pretty drat good at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_2UHz8OsJI

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 22-24, 2001)

Stop doxxing me, comic

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Julet Esqu posted:

A Bad Comic...
And with this, we have completed the backlog of Home Free and are now caught up to current! Now that we have enough of a sample size to form opinions about this comic, it's time to decide whether or not I keep posting it. I'm actually leaning toward continuing. It's not a good comic, but the art and the writing are juuuuust close enough to competent to make it interesting (and sometimes a little bit disturbing, ngl). I'm weirded out enough to want to see where it goes.

For those who hate this thing, look on the bright side. The normal posting schedule for Home Free is three days a week, so you're still going to get less of it than you have been.

Keep posting it. The art is a bit in-your-face and the jokes tend to be somewhat predictable, but that can be said of any regular strip.

I like the exuberance of it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Julet Esqu posted:

A Good Comic

"Oh crap, I've been dead for 70 years."

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Cowslips Warren posted:

Some things are constant no matter what. Val bonding with someone he was at odds with, over violence with a third party, is one such staple.

modern-day valiant is the example of how to pick up a zombie strip and run with it. just as good as the old ones

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics
The Lockhorns

Not really that I'd call a "Lockhorns" gag but good anyways :lol:
Yeah that was my reaction too.

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't mind seeing it, especially just a few days a week. I am also curious how long they plan to continue this camping out thing. Is this just the strip forever? What a weird premise to go with.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 30, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Timely.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/20/50

Archie 3/31 - 4/2/47

That last one is not an edit. Bob Montana really did get "butthole" onto the Great American Comics Page in 1947. In fact, he used it as an adjective, which feels surprisingly modern.

Violet rays, incidentally, were hand-held Tesla coils attached to glass tubes of ionized gas, which delivered mild electric shocks when touched to the skin and were supposedly able to cure anything from arthritis to zygomycosis. They're still sold as "violet wands," although they're now used by kinky folks who enjoy getting shocked. So I'm told.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Comic Strips 2023: Oh, it gets kind of butthole at times.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
God I got so far behind on this thread but I'm caught up now.

The recent Mark Trail storyline annoyed me because the images in the strip clearly show water on top of the desks/chairs in that lady's office, even on the walls and doors.

This could only be caused by the entire room being underwater, or a leak from the ceiling. This absolutely is not caused by the pavement preventing groundwater from being absorbed. Cherry is either lying to this lady and causing her to ignore a bigger problem, or vandalized her office just so she could go "See I was right."

Julet Esqu posted:

It's definitely bad, but in an interesting way. I say keep posting it. I agree with Murdstone, I want to keep seeing it if for no other reason than is "Home renovations sure do take a long time sometimes" the entire premise of the strip? Like, is this premise going to go on for years? I know comic strips are often ageless beings whose lives never progress or change, but it still feels weird to imagine that this strip could last for 20 years of "Our house is still being remodeled!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really dislike Homeless Family Adventures ft. Uncomfortable Cutesy Animals but keep posting it if you like. It has a real Oh Baby! quality to it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Green Intern posted:

I really dislike Homeless Family Adventures ft. Uncomfortable Cutesy Animals but keep posting it if you like. It has a real Oh Baby! quality to it.

what's oh, baby?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

samcarsten posted:

what's oh, baby?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYoj8_LBavQ

?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Oh, Baby is a one panel strip of an ugly baby still in the womb cutting wise. It gets posted when we've been bad.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If you speak its name three times into the thread it shall appear.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Green Intern posted:

If you speak its name three times into the thread it shall appear.

I'm tempted to try to put a Beetlejuice suit onto the kid the next time someone ignores all warnings and posts it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

hooray, the true meaning of christmas and poo poo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The weird homeless animal adventures strip is not very good but it's not that bad and I am also morbidly curious about how long it can beat the dead horse and why it has this aura of uncomfortable menace about it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Schwarzwald posted:

The fact is that 99.9% of the reading audience is going to know Popeye exclusively from the old cartoons (or parodies of those cartoons) and he does talk like that in those.

He doesn’t, though. The Fleischer shorts dialogue is varied and extremely funny, and his speech impediment is used in a way that makes sense. This adding it to the end of every other word is a fairly recent development, and it sucksk shitsk.

(caring too much about Popeye itt)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So in other words, that's all you can stands, you can't stands no more?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*can'tsk

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Those Billboard charts are largely period-accurate. I’m only sorry that I never got to draw Willy Joel in this story or investigate his rich back catalogue.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Archie 3/31 - 4/2/47

That last one is not an edit. Bob Montana really did get "butthole" onto the Great American Comics Page in 1947. In fact, he used it as an adjective, which feels surprisingly modern.

I have been (very carefully) looking this up, and so far have found no references to the word as a descriptor of an unsavory or dull situation. In fact, the online Merriam-Webster says that the term was coined in 1951. :ninja:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he's been there

he's butthole

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Somebody suggested when I showed the strip that it could be a shortened form of "buttonholed", although even then that's a weird thing to say.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

PainterofCrap posted:

I have been (very carefully) looking this up, and so far have found no references to the word as a descriptor of an unsavory or dull situation. In fact, the online Merriam-Webster says that the term was coined in 1951. :ninja:
'Course, that'd just be the first time it showed up in print - words (especially slang or racy words, doubly if they're used by the yoots) are often in pretty wide usage before anyone sees fit to write them down.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 28, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 11-12. 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Hwurmp posted:

he's been there

he's butthole

And once you've gone butthole, you can't rear end anything else.

Anyway, it's A Sketchy Life for April 28, 1927! Our cover boy this week is John Held Jr.

...who also contributes a tale of the Jazz Age for the inside.

A story of good breeding from Oliver Herford.

J Norman Lynd:

A two-fer from Marge:

Nate Collier:

Frank Hanley:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 1, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Nate Collier:

Lord, that's dark.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PainterofCrap posted:

You know what's worse than going to the OED to look up "butthole?"
Discovering that it's not in there.

I want a refund.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

PainterofCrap posted:

etymonline corroborates that the term, in reference to the anus, dates from 1950 but also credits an "early 20c" meaning as a 'blind hole' or cul-de-sac. ie: a dead-end job.

vvv it doesn't give any specific region beyond mentioning that butt itself is US slang.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, there you have it!

Is there any region specified? My mother (Philadelphia, PA) was in the same age cohort in the late 40's/early 50s and, while she had some unique sayings and pronunciations, I would have remembered that one