Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Quote not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've been in roleplaying circles for decades and I have never, ever heard a positive story about a White Wolf LARP

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The one larp I ever participated in, my friend played a cat phouka changeling and just roamed around the play area on roller skates. I played a dog phouka changeling chasing him. I would wander up to random broody vampires and ask them if they've seen my cat, and then "spot" him in the distance and go running off again.

There was some locally important drama plot going on but gently caress if I know what it was.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tendales posted:

The one larp I ever participated in, my friend played a cat phouka changeling and just roamed around the play area on roller skates. I played a dog phouka changeling chasing him. I would wander up to random broody vampires and ask them if they've seen my cat, and then "spot" him in the distance and go running off again.

There was some locally important drama plot going on but gently caress if I know what it was.

Okay, I have now heard one positive story about a White Wolf LARP

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Motherfucker that's called tag. They already invented that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tendales posted:

Lol that’s cute

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Lmao

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

The Chechnian president officially condemned and banned Vampire in the country and multiple human rights groups condemned it for saying the Chechnian genocide of LGBTQ people was caused by vampires (mind, for very different reasons than Chechnya)

how loving insensitive and stupid can you be, good grief lmao

that’s like, bafflingly stupid

surc
Aug 17, 2004

fun hater posted:

ive only played the video game which is good. its also really bad and unplayable. but its also the greatest game ever made

wesp's obsessively maintained patch made it wayyyyyy more playable a while back and keeps updating textures and assets to make it not feel quite so ancient and added in a bunch of QoL and also and easily opt-outable restrored/extra content. If you haven't played it in a while it's worth giving it a run through with that. Looks like it got a new update 2 months ago, there's some new "replay level as a vampire hunter" mode?: https://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-unofficial-patch

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

do y’all think Bloodlines 2 will ever come out?

The snippets of in-engine cutscenes or combat from like 3 years ago looked like reheated Xbox 360 era graphics, so I wasn't surprised when they yanked it from that studio. Did they ever confirm where they sent the project after that? They were being super hush-hush about who it was passed to for the longest time. So yeah, unless another trailer appears, I'm going to assume it's dead.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just a wild group of people

lol, essentially

pentyne posted:

It was so bad Paradox revoked WW's permissions to approve publishing of their own books.

It's hard to understate just how insanely bad it was, it pissed off a ton of the inside business/money people when they heard about it.

Honestly it's been weird the past 5 years seeing pen and paper RPG bullshit hit semi-mainstream news. It's probably a good sign the community is growing, but that VtM drama or the stuff around Wizards of the Coast lately being actual Topics of Interest is surreal. Not like, majorly important stuff, but comparable to divisive Call of Duty DLC or outrage over the most recent interchangeable mid-quality open world game, versus deafening indifference outside of a shallow pool of extremely online dweebs.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The only White Wolf larpers I ever met had a run in with the cops where somebody was tying up their girlfriend in a playground as part of a scene and had one of their members get arrested by the department of homeland security in a pedophile sting operation.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

right about now I'd appreciate a link to the "LARP ruined my life" thread because I can't get enough of greasy awful nerds DIY-ing cults

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

rodbeard posted:

The only White Wolf larpers I ever met had a run in with the cops where somebody was tying up their girlfriend in a playground as part of a scene and had one of their members get arrested by the department of homeland security in a pedophile sting operation.

The way you write this makes it sound as though those things happened at the same time

... Did they?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tel;ing the mods to beware the old blood and getting banned for concern trolling

There’s apparently some really bad French horror movie called “blood of the wolf” that cribs all of its costumes and aesthetic from bloodborne and I’m totally going to watch it (brotherhood of the wolf maybe?)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Frank Frank posted:

There’s apparently some really bad French horror movie called “blood of the wolf” that cribs all of its costumes and aesthetic from bloodborne and I’m totally going to watch it (brotherhood of the wolf maybe?)
Other way around. Brotherhood of the Wolf came out in 2001.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

brotherhood of the wolf kicked rear end

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

RyokoTK posted:

at the risk of approaching the thread title, i take it you are not aware of the president dictator for life of chechnya

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Famethrowa posted:

right about now I'd appreciate a link to the "LARP ruined my life" thread because I can't get enough of greasy awful nerds DIY-ing cults

Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735668

quote:

I had LARPed for 18 years by the time I quit, and had table-topped for 23.
I was a member of a global LARP organization for five years, played in a troupe (singular LARP group) for two, and ran my own troupe for over a year.
I did the freeform/theater LARPing, not boffer
LARPing was the main focus of my life. I was a Lifer.
LARPing’s toxic environment did not begin my illnesses, but did enable them, made them much much worse, and kept me from getting well.
I do not believe everyone who LARPs is sick, but I believe all Lifers are unhealthy either mentally, emotionally or physically, often all three.
I am not angry or bitter, and accept all responsibility for the choices that led me to, and kept me in, LARPing.
I am out, in therapy, and on meds, and I believe I would be dead now if I had not quit LARPing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That is some of the most depressing poo poo I have ever read.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

This, plus it stars Mark Dacascos of Iron Chef America/John Wick 3 fame. I also strongly recommend Only the Strong which is an early 90s movie where he plays an ex-green beret who teaches capoeira to delinquent high schoolers

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

gently caress yes! Iroquois ninja in a tricorn!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

at the risk of approaching the thread title, i take it you are not aware of the president dictator for life of chechnya

no I meant White Wolf lmao or whatever they’re fuckin called

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They should call it Clown: The Circus.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

the one time I tried a white wolf game (World of Darkness) I thought it was cool because the system felt better to use than D&D (3.5 at the time) :shobon:

Then I played vtm bloodlines and was like gently caress yes this poo poo is awesome but then I found out about the larping and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nope

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sitting down to play a tabletop game only to get up and leave when someone mentions their fetish five minutes into the game because i know where this is going

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

RyokoTK posted:

Allegedly, the writer of that particular plot point had a gay friend who was tortured and killed in Chechnya, and included it to raise awareness. There was supposed to be a sidebar explaining that it was a real thing, and the writer's personal connection, etc, but it was dropped in editing.

This is all from a r/hobbydrama post that sources a 4 year old reddit comment, so take that with a handful of salt, as it may be completely fabricated.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

lobster shirt posted:

mark loving dacascos

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

Abhorrence posted:

Allegedly, the writer of that particular plot point had a gay friend who was tortured and killed in Chechnya, and included it to raise awareness. There was supposed to be a sidebar explaining that it was a real thing, and the writer's personal connection, etc, but it was dropped in editing.

This is all from a r/hobbydrama post that sources a 4 year old reddit comment, so take that with a handful of salt, as it may be completely fabricated.

I think even if that's true (no idea either way), why would you have that be caused by vampire overlords and not like just use that as a setting backdrop or just have characters fleeing from Chevhnya or something? Worst way to do that still lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

mark loving dacascos

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i've done like, boffer combat with beanbag spells, but never tried to do story drama with it. it was more like tf2 in a state park

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
punching everyone near me at the larp to check for assassins

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sitting down to play a tabletop game only to get up and leave when someone mentions their fetish five minutes into the game because i know where this is going

Double post because I missed this, but genuinely from firsthand experience if someone starts adding even inklings of fetish material to a tabletop game you need to get out of there now. If you really know them you can tell them to knock it off, but for strangers like just hit the bricks. Do not endure that, it will only go badly. Anyone who is so self-unaware that they even accidentally (not to mention purposely) do that is not to be trusted. I'm dead serious, its never went well when someone tries to stick it out, leave if you see it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Boba Pearl posted:

That is some of the most depressing poo poo I have ever read.

Yeah it’s up there with final fantasy house tbh

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

Double post because I missed this, but genuinely from firsthand experience if someone starts adding even inklings of fetish material to a tabletop game you need to get out of there now. If you really know them you can tell them to knock it off, but for strangers like just hit the bricks. Do not endure that, it will only go badly. Anyone who is so self-unaware that they even accidentally (not to mention purposely) do that is not to be trusted. I'm dead serious, its never went well when someone tries to stick it out, leave if you see it.

Piss whizzard.jpg

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

only the strong is such a good fuckin movie

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

he's so goddamn cool

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
White Wolf? More like White OOOOF

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not sure if this is the same LARP as you're all talking about but it involves goons and vampires and, most importantly, burritos, so I'm sharing it anyway.

Bassetking posted:

This next one took place about twelve years ago. Specific Mechanical Details may be fuzzy, and for that, I apologize. It is, however, a WoD LARP story, and one I've been meaning to post to a Cat Piss thread since I joined SA.

I am not the same person I was back then, and, were I then, who I am now, I would have likely handled the situation in a different manner.

So, I was at Ohio State University back in 2003. Now, because, back then, I was a twenty year old college kid, I lived a nearly totally nocturnal day-cycle, due to some bad, bad insomnia.

This has anything at all to do with the story because of Burritos Noches.

Ahh. Burritos Noches. One Swipe of a Meal Card, and you could get a Burrito The Size Of Your Head. It was open from 12AM to 4AM, and was a godsend to those students who were, like me, up very late.

It also attracted the local chapter of The Cam. Or, at least, The Prince, and a whole bunch of his cotire.

Each and every night, this group of Goth-dressed Kine-Sneerers would cluster the area right around the doorway to this delightful land of tasty late-night burritos.

And they would LARP. In the worst, Cammy, Mundane-Freaking, Feed-By-Touching, Greasy Goth manner.

It got so harassing that the University considered shutting down the food venue, due to the complaints of female students about thirty-five-year-old grease-beards lounging around in black, and makeup, and touching them. I get the whole "Touch to Feed" thing, but seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously. The kind of folks who show up to do this form of LARP are exactly the kind of folks who will take that as an invitation to get all Creepy-Touchy on the college kids they're trying to freak.

Now, to myself, and my friends, all of whom were TTRPG players, the loss of Burritos Noches was unacceptable. Upon hearing that the University was considering canceling the program, we decided to take action. We knew enough about these V:tM players that most of them were former university students, but didn't currently attend, and didn't give a gently caress about what happened to the students there, they'd move their characters to a new location on campus, and keep harassing students.

So long as they had those characters.

Which is where my friends and myself hatched our plan.

We contacted Campus Facilities, and, using available forms, made rental of five sections of mobile, generator-powered stadium-lighting. We positioned these around the little courtyard that these LARPers lurked.

We went out, and bought Super-Soakers.

And we bought a copy of Hunter: The Reckoning, and contacted the Cam to start a sanctioned Hunter Group.

The night all of this went down; when the lighting was in place, one on a pole above the center of the courtyard, the other four positioned on the ground to encompass the entire courtyard. We then used a sharpie to write "Flamethrower" down the side of each Super-Soaker, and "HIGH INTENSITY UV" on paper signs that we taped to each of the lights.

We waited. And waited. And once the whole LARP had shown up to do their freaking and feeding...

We turned on the Generator, and jumped from the hedges with the Super-soakers.

Between the "Sunlight", and the Agg-Damage from the Flamethrowers, we ashed nearly "five thousand years" of V:tM characters in one evening's actions. And as frustrated as the Storyteller was, when we presented our Avenger and Defender Hunter Sheets, he actually adjudicated that we had succeeded, to the angry protestations of his group. "They perfectly played the Role of Hunters. You all got too complacent, didn't check out the area you'd be gathering, didn't spend resources to secure the area, fed in the location too many times, and drew the attention of Hunters. Exactly like it's supposed to happen, when you do that."

So yeah.

I am not proud of super-soaking a bunch of LARPers in order to save a burrito location.

I am willing to admit there's some Cat-Piss on each and every side of this story.

But seeing a dude fifteen years older than you actually break down in tears, because the character he'd been playing for seven years, since he was in Grad School, had been Ashed, and there was nothing he could do about it? And knowing that what we'd done would cause a massive shake-up in the area's Cam; likely bringing in a group of leadership who would be more likely to tell guys like that to quit loving "Freaking The Kine"?

I can feel a little bit good about that.

So yeah. That's the story of how I did a One-Shot Hunter: The Reckoning LARP, ashed thirty people's characters, and saved some tasty burritos.

Mature? Oh, hell no.

Would I do it today? God, no.

It is something I'll still point to as a citation of "In-Game Actions have In-Game Consequences."?
Absolutely.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dracula heading up to the local mexican restaurant and ordering a burrito in his bela lugosi accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I vant to drink your diet coooooooke

Edit: my LARPing experience was cool and good (by which I absolutely mean shameful and nerdy) but somehow we avoided a lot of that creepy weirdness, probably because we ran pre-written games which don’t appeal to people who want to create the greatest most tragic Mary Sue/Marty Stu ever

We just burnt the gently caress out of the people who wrote them, because it was an exhausting and stressful experience fewer and fewer people wanted to do until eventually we stopped doing them

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 1, 2023