Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

coelomate posted:

thread is about video game MSRP not bank death so… no bank death? or monday am gonna be extra lit?

also here's potential bank deaths. if u got moeny in these, get it out
https://www.thestreet.com/banking/banks-most-at-risk-morningstar

quote:

These Banks Are the Most Vulnerable

Here’s its list of the seven banks facing above-average liquidity and/or above-average capital risks:

First Republic Bank (FRC)
Huntington Bancshares (HBAN)
KeyCorp (KEY)
Comerica (CMA)
Truist Financial (TFC)
Cullen/Frost Bankers (CFR)
Zions Bancorporation (ZION)

First Republic Has the Most Problems..... “The stock facing the biggest questions is First Republic Bank,” Morningstar said in its March 15 report.

On March 16, knowledgeable sources told Bloomberg that some of the country’s biggest banks are near agreement to deposit up to $30 billion in First Republic Bank in a government-supported attempt to buoy the bank.

In any case, “First Republic’s issues are a bit idiosyncratic, with its liquidity issue being driven by a loan-to-deposit ratio of 94%, compared with an average of 68% among banks covered by [Morningstar analyst] Compton,” it said. That ratio means the bank is deploying almost all its deposits to fund its lending.

“Furthermore, Compton notes that First Republic’s clients may overlap with SVB’s clients,” Morningstar said. That “leads to speculation that customers may be uncomfortable leaving their deposits at the bank.”

In addition, “should First Republic end up closing, the bank would need to sell its loan book at market value, wiping out all value for equity holders, according to Compton,” Morningstar said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
truist will fall because thats where my company parked its money after svb and credit suisse

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol why not put your money in a real bank, instead of those clearly made up banks

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"we're the true-ist bank! none truer!"

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

I’m in danger

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

Those aren’t small banks lol. I have all my liquid savings in one small regional bank and all these banks are bigger. Although my bank never spent money on a stadium sponsorship

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

lol almost opened a truist account last weekend

thanks for the warning op

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

wsj article still says the “winner” could be announced “later Sunday”

seems late in the day if they’re trying to beat Monday’s open, but i suppose technically they have 13 hours or so left :sun:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
nothing soothes the market like a panicked shotgun wedding

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

coelomate posted:

lol almost opened a truist account last weekend

thanks for the warning op
just use a regional credit union for checking, vanguard for savings account+investing, and whatever credit card is good (i just use apple card only)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

nothing soothes the market like a panicked shotgun wedding

seemed to work out insanely well for credit suisse. its actually impressive how well they contained that spectacular blow up

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

If a larger bank bought one of these over-leveraged banks and they had enough liquidity to cover any fleeing withdrawals, would the larger bank just be able to hold the loans and bonds to maturity and profit on the whole thing anyway while at the same time strip mining the failed bank?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

coelomate posted:

wsj article still says the “winner” could be announced “later Sunday”

seems late in the day if they’re trying to beat Monday’s open, but i suppose technically they have 13 hours or so left :sun:

As long as it's done by 9:29 AM EST tomorrow, we're good! :getin:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
market to whipsaw between surprised pikachu and calm.jpg for the rest of the year, as banks keep going under/getting "rescued"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

market to whipsaw between surprised pikachu and calm.jpg for the rest of the year, as banks keep going under/getting "rescued"

Just create a God Hand (from "Berserk") of 5 big banks and no one else - bing bong, so simple!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Xaris posted:

lol i bank with Huntington

gently caress

Apr 7, 2003

Abner Assington posted:

gently caress

owned

Apr 7, 2003

I have six months of expenses with First Commonwealth, a podunk bank out of Indiana PA. Might be a waste of my money

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Abner Assington posted:

gently caress

get out now while you still can! you've been warned

or stay with it but post about it bc it'll be funny

Apr 7, 2003

mfw when my money is well-invested

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have six months of expenses with First Commonwealth, a podunk bank out of Indiana PA. Might be a waste of my money

lol

i love my local CU but it's saving rate is abysmal, like 0.02%. money is just getting utterly wrecked by inflation in it. i ended up dumping almost every last cent into a vanguard savings account at 4.9% instead. i'm not gunna deal with shady banks like ally or sofi or w/e

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If you have under 250k in a bank you are fine.

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

lol

i love my local CU but it's saving rate is abysmal, like 0.02%. money is just getting utterly wrecked by inflation in it. i ended up dumping almost every last cent into a vanguard savings account at 4.9% instead.

I'm putting my money that isn't six months of expenses into a vanguard S&P 500 fund and I'm getting murdered lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm putting my money that isn't six months of expenses into a vanguard S&P 500 fund and I'm getting murdered lol

Go buy a CD like your Grandpa used to. I'm not joking, they pay more than 5%.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

If you have under 250k in a bank you are fine.

counterpoint: banks runs are good as people dont trust fdic nor want to deal with the headache of getting their money out after receivership. i encourage everyone to do a bank run so we can generate more funnys

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Twerk from Home posted:

Go buy a CD like your Grandpa used to. I'm not joking, they pay more than 5%.

i dunno where you're seeing that but CDs from my CU are 1.7%/3 to 2.3%/12-mon to 2.5%/3 year. that's loving abysmal and is much worse than holding it into FMM

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

participating in a bank run sounds exhausting, i choose instead to sit and post

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

My local credit union is advertising 4.28% money market funds, and a couple months ago you could get ultra-short treasuries for 4%+.

I did this except I put it in a Schwab dividend index fund which is weighted like 20% in banks because I'm a moron.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Abner Assington posted:

gently caress

I bank with Hootington

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I bank with Hootington

thread title

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Willa Rogers posted:

I bank with Hootington

be careful, hootington takes in a lot toxic deposits anaully

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

dammit you're making me want to buy a put on each of these

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

dammit you're making me want to buy a put on each of these
their failure is priced in :downs:🤡

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mfw when my money is well-invested

You're letting them use your money basically for free

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've decided to just give up on playing modern games, especially graphics lot intensive ones. Even if I wasn't unemployed atm I dont really want to or need to replace my PC hardware with new stuff every year. It's not sustainable IMO and we're starting to see that.

word on the street in china is the 4070 is selling so badly and the prices falling so quickly that nvidia stopped supplying the AIBs the chips

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Xaris posted:

lol

i love my local CU but it's saving rate is abysmal, like 0.02%. money is just getting utterly wrecked by inflation in it. i ended up dumping almost every last cent into a vanguard savings account at 4.9% instead. i'm not gunna deal with shady banks like ally or sofi or w/e

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/Bank_Sweep_Participating_Banks.pdf

looks like vanguard's savings accounts are swept to reliable regional banks like (checks notes) truist bank and huntington national bank

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Did you have a source or did you just recently play a cyberpunk video game? Willing to be wrong on this one.

A poo poo ton of private mercenaries get hired during any kind of disaster.

Literally in choppers with machine guns and tanks murdering poor people without any trouble.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2009/08/secret-history-hurricane-katrina/

This is an old article, but it happens all the time.

Here, be horrified.

https://revealnews.org/article/defense-contractor-detained-migrant-kids-in-vacant-phoenix-office-building/

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 01:48 on May 1, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

gently caress

i liked when their atm cards were banana yellow

anyway i hope that zions and their 10000 subentities die next

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

A poo poo ton of private mercenaries get hired during any kind of disaster.

Literally in choppers with machine guns and tanks murdering poor people without any trouble.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2009/08/secret-history-hurricane-katrina/

This is an old article, but it happens all the time.

Here, be horrified.

https://revealnews.org/article/defense-contractor-detained-migrant-kids-in-vacant-phoenix-office-building/

pfft horrifying my rear end, that's not even touching on the private organ harvesting companies

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dismembered-body-parts-sewn-together-frankenstein-donation-center-fbi-found-n1035131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tempora Mutantur posted:

pfft horrifying my rear end, that's not even touching on the private organ harvesting companies

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dismembered-body-parts-sewn-together-frankenstein-donation-center-fbi-found-n1035131

now i can see where one of those china bad talking points projection came from