Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

And now the waiting begins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate that I don't have sushang or tingyun, the only 2 4-stars that would legit change my team dynamic.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
All the voice actors in this game sound extremely anime / game like voices except fem Trailblazer who sounds like they just recorded a random girl they found in a mall. I like it, but it does stand out to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dryzen posted:

it’s cool

Gearman posted:

Yours is the gun that will rail the heavens.

Both acceptable.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I like how this game having a large number of discrete elements *and* roles makes having a varied roster more useful. Even if I have, say, a really good Ice Hunt character, a Fire Hunt or Ice Nihility (or whatever) could also be useful.

I guess the one main exception to this is pure healer Abundance, since they're not exactly making much use of their elements due to rarely attacking (since elements basically don't seem to matter unless you're attacking things or going for those Simulated Universe buffs). Bailu basically just replaces Natasha on my team, though having two healers might be useful later once I get to that content where you need two teams.

Relying mainly on Bailu's ult healing and/or cone effects (also healing/shielding cards in Sim) gives her a good amount of time to just be attacking, so she can also contribute to breaking enemies and building SP. Natasha gives regen so I'd imagine this should be doable for her too? But yeah, the next healer having damage in his kit makes me think they'll try to mess with Abundance a bit more.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I swapped over to japanese to give that a listen and it's interesting how it's so much less cartoon-y sounding. I'm not really sure if I like a non-chirpy march, but the only real drawback for me is that you don't really get herta's various degrees of enthusiasm for spinning in the japanese track.

Also I spent ages chasing astra's dog around the station to find astra's dog, and while that was a thoroughly underwhelming experience, it was far less annoying than realizing that "come back tomorrow" literally means "come back tomorrow," because this isn't genshin and you can't just make time pass.

Now I wish to destroy the antimatter league for making it take three goddamn days to check the search history of some idiots. I have no idea why this annoys me more than stuff like handbills that only spawn a day after you've picked up the previous one, although it might be related to the fence guy by the theater, which is a series of encounters that are probably meant to be spread out over more than 15 minutes.

Well, if nothing else I guess it'll prod me to carry on with the plot so maybe all my mans can become less underwhelming. At least I hope they do, even if it's just because I'll be able to fish up relics and fix gephard's energy issues. Dude's just kinda sad right now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I played Genshin with Korean voices because Paimon just had a really good voice there. I should see how this runs in Korean.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

haypliss posted:

Relying mainly on Bailu's ult healing and/or cone effects (also healing/shielding cards in Sim) gives her a good amount of time to just be attacking, so she can also contribute to breaking enemies and building SP. Natasha gives regen so I'd imagine this should be doable for her too? But yeah, the next healer having damage in his kit makes me think they'll try to mess with Abundance a bit more.

Yeah, I do attack with her, but she doesn't contribute much since she doesn't get any of the Skills other classes often get that knock out far more shields (or do so over an AoE). I generally can't break shields with just her alone.

That Light Cone with the damage effect tied to healing would be nice (especially if it uses the same element as the character and can break shields, but I forget if that's the case).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Meiteron posted:

If people are looking at the Seele banner and trying to do mental calculations on how many resources to spend now vs later for other characters, the general heuristic is that if you are at minimum keeping the $5 daily draw currency rolling and have got the basic version of the paid battle pass, starting from 0 you generate a bit over a pity's worth of draws in a given 6-week patch. I'm basing this off how Genshin feeds players draw currency over time, since Star Rail is pretty much a 1-to-1 copy of Genshin's structure in this regard it should equally apply.

As such, if you just need to hit a single pity you can skip one banner and roll on the other. If you need to hedge against losing the coin flip, you need to skip two banners. Over time as you win coin flips and the game gives extra rolls sometimes you can either hit both banners or roll for weapons lightcones. If you are strict F2P then you can expect this to be about 2/3 to 1/2 as fast and will probably want to skip rolls for 2-3 banners, or more, if you're chasing someone specific. Since this is launch, we likely have early-game and launch event boosts to draws which may give you as much as one full pity above and beyond this.

This is as good a time as any to comment that Hoyoverse game news, be it Genshin or Star Rail, leaks like a sieve. You can almost always get notice of banners several patches in advance as easily as checking reddit for star rail leaks and plan appropriately! I know some people prefer to avoid spoilers, but it's a unfortunate feature of Gacha titles that if you play them without this kind of preparation you can end up disappointed - or pressured into spending money you may not have wanted to spend. Forewarned is forearmed.

This is good to know, except that I'm aiming not to spend any money, so... hmm.

That said, the newbie banner just gave me Bailu so :toot:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MechaX posted:

I started playing this game yesterday despite knowing nothing about Honkai and only playing Genshin for an hour

I have no loving clue what is going on with this story lore, and I haven’t gotten any good pulls yet (I did get some merchant dude, a woman with a literal electric guitar, and Natasha), but I’m having fun so far at least

Not So Fast posted:

installed this today and I'm having fun so far, haven't played any of the Honkai / Genshin games though so I'm a bit lost on the setting and all the talk about Aeons and Antimatter Legions... But I'm guessing I'm supposed to be given the amnesiac MC

I will probably just F2P this, but how likely am I to get enough Special Passes to get a 5* before the Seele banner runs out? My experience with most gacha games is that you can get a 5* every month or so but starting on launch might help?

FWIW the only way Honkai or Genshin would help you understand most of this game's lore is as "Maybe they'll explain that later, maybe they won't, anyways moving on" practice. They share a multiverse if Multiverse Stuff ever shows up, which, as a scifi thing it might but I'm confident it'd be explained well enough, Welt's straight up from Honkai but aside from "he feels guilty about his world's Himiko" he's mostly the "old mentor totally had his own adventures before" trope, and besides that there's maybe just some emotional cues / maybe subversions from reused designs. Like how I trust Bronya and Seele implicitly, called Cocolia from the moment I saw her name, and I haven't met the guy with Otto's design yet but if he isn't a manipulative piece of poo poo I will be incredibly surprised. Or how Alhaitham Genshin was supposed to be suspicious a while but it completely fell flat for me because his Honkai equivalent is basically a saint. And then you probably got a lot of that anyways just from regular media savvy, and even if not some of that is just spoiling the surprise or undercutting the tension.

Also Re: wanting Genshin Lore connections:
Hell yes we're in space let's visit a planet with a World Tree that may or may not be inside out.

Edit: Like don't get me wrong I think the connections are fun and love noticing / reading about them. But they're not actually important.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 1, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
To anyone who hasn’t noticed yet, you can buy the main characters fire eidolon levels with the space China currency (strale) so you’ll definitely want to accumulate that asap through quests or chests on that area

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

First time in. When my fire Trailblazer went down I wasn't sure I'd make it. Had a lot of thorns skills in my preservation kit, not really sure how things comboed but when the boss did his AoE it would take off 20% of his own health. Add in the cloak for more damage from the R attack and I was sitting pretty until wave 3 when March 7 went down. She got rezzed but it was still a lot of scrambling after that to try and get heals and shields back up. Qiqing is really useful in that her attacks don't *need* skipp points to use, it's just a bonus if you have them to spare.

Is there a way to rez fallen units in there? The coupon curio said a reduced cost to do so but I couldn't find the trigger.
EDIT: to answer my own question, I just unlocked it in the talent tree.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bruceski posted:

First time in. When my fire Trailblazer went down I wasn't sure I'd make it. Had a lot of thorns skills in my preservation kit, not really sure how things comboed but when the boss did his AoE it would take off 20% of his own health. Add in the cloak for more damage from the R attack and I was sitting pretty until wave 3 when March 7 went down. She got rezzed but it was still a lot of scrambling after that to try and get heals and shields back up. Qiqing is really useful in that her attacks don't *need* skipp points to use, it's just a bonus if you have them to spare.

Is there a way to rez fallen units in there? The coupon curio said a reduced cost to do so but I couldn't find the trigger.

That's pretty impressive, given that my party is the same level and I really doubt they would win against a fight much harder than the World 2 one (haven't done 3 yet).

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I tried FireMC / March / Pela / Bailu on World 3 just now, went Preservation, stacked up every blessing boosting/enhancing shields I could get and added one or two from Elation boosting March's follow-up attacks. To my surprise, I won. The Path Resonance definitely helped dramatically; it gives an effect called Amber that voids damage beyond what your shield can take for one hit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

That's pretty impressive, given that my party is the same level and I really doubt they would win against a fight much harder than the World 2 one (haven't done 3 yet).

It surprised me as well. Preservation's damage reflection definitely carried the day, and I wish I knew how to do that on purpose. Should have checked by blessings before I left. Mostly I was throwing up shields and heals and then Qiqing and Seele were poking where they could.

One tip I saw is to play defensively. Preservation and Rememberance are great for that and can really cut back on the damage you take. It's going to be slower but if you control the fight there's no time limit. The downside is that if something falls out of sync (for example first time in World 2 I relied entirely on Rememberance and could keep one elite/boss locked down but then the end fight was two) you don't just have to recover, you're taking a lot more damage while doing so.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bruceski posted:

One tip I saw is to play defensively. Preservation and Rememberance are great for that and can really cut back on the damage you take. It's going to be slower but if you control the fight there's no time limit.

I _did_ find one exception to that. I was fighting one of the Automaton bosses (chainsaw robot), and hit a point during a long fight where it declared it was about to go Berzerk and dramatically increase damage inflicted.

And it so did.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I also hit the enrage timer on the World 5 boss when March ended up trying to solo it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I actually don't like Fire Stelle over Bat Stelle but TBF I do have Gepard who complicates the matter

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Same, except even moreso for me because I have neither Clara nor Susheng somehow. So uh, Phys Trailblazer is my only real option for Phys. Besides like, Natasha, technically.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Zenostein posted:

I swapped over to japanese to give that a listen and it's interesting how it's so much less cartoon-y sounding. I'm not really sure if I like a non-chirpy march, but the only real drawback for me is that you don't really get herta's various degrees of enthusiasm for spinning in the japanese track.

I installed the japanese tracks solely to swap to when I put Herta on my team so I can listen to her go Kuru Kuru

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wow, world 4 of sim universe is way easier than world 3, holy poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

don't forget to get your 3 weekly boss drops this week before the reset in like 7 hours

it unlocks when you beat ice planet

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of ice planet, in retrospect it's kind of weird that they tell you about the eternal storm keeping it frozen and then you spend like 2/3 of it underground where the design doesn't feel particularly cold at all, and it never really emphasizes that they're fighting the elements. imo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They just realised during development that the Underground was way cooler.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For people who want to know going in, getting all the relics from World 3 (1 after each midboss and 2 after the boss) takes 160 stamina, but it doesn't block progress to skip any of them.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Garrand posted:

I installed the japanese tracks solely to swap to when I put Herta on my team so I can listen to her go Kuru Kuru

The various kuru's are nice, but they don't really sell me on her pure joy of spinning.

Speaking of spinning, you can walk around in camera mode. Vast improvement over genshin, really lets you soak in those 'not nearly high-enough resolution' paintings and posters on the walls.'

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

please give me the fox girl i'm begging you i will die without her

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

think she'll be a rate up 4 star on the next banner

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just pulled Tingyun. Don't have any real hunt players except Dan. Any other crazy combos I should entertain? I have Welt as well which has been fun for aoe slows.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

m.hache posted:

I have Welt as well which has been fun for aoe slows.

I'm liking Welt quite a bit. His slow and imprisonment are basically always useful, even if there isn't an enemy on the field that has weakness to Imaginary.

The damage increase from his 2nd ascension talent also apparently stacks with Pela's DEF reduction debuff so your dps person can do big damage

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 1, 2023

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Living vicariously through all y'all pulls cause I'm saving for sexy General Jing Yuan.

Still wish my starter 5* was Welt for the same reason but Clara just demolishes poo poo so hard that it's hard to be that upset. I'm realizing I should take March out in turn-limited content though, because Clara doesn't get hit if poo poo is just frozen and then whoops my DPS is awful. Feels wrong that I'm just cheering for the barefooted little girl to get whacked constantly...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Living vicariously through all y'all pulls cause I'm saving for sexy General Jing Yuan.

Still wish my starter 5* was Welt for the same reason but Clara just demolishes poo poo so hard that it's hard to be that upset. I'm realizing I should take March out in turn-limited content though, because Clara doesn't get hit if poo poo is just frozen and then whoops my DPS is awful. Feels wrong that I'm just cheering for the barefooted little girl to get whacked constantly...

Just use March to keep piling shields on Clara, so you get Clara's counter AND March's.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Could be worse, you could've gotten Gepard.

I guess when I get to the content where you need two parties, then sure, but lmao at the idea of not using March.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Are you me? Because I also wanted Welt, got Clara, and am waiting for Jing Yuan, (and Loucha.) For a second I thought I could move Landau's Choice (increases likelihood of being hit, reduce damage taken) from March to Clara, but then remembered that light cones are path specific. I wonder if there is a similar destruction light cone.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just pulled Seele after 70ish pulls on her banner During that time I got a bunch more natashas, so I've got her up to 5 eidleons or whatever they are called. Bailu was my starter banner character, so I'm not even using her at the moment, but I know I'll need 2 healers eventually. I have 3 Pela's also and never got a hook

I'm mostly running Seele / Bailu / Fire MC / one of either Pela / Sushang / Serval depending on what types of enemies are around. Being able to pop elemental shields is so good in this game I'm having a hard time committing to one of them.

Now I'm going to attempt to not spend all my remaining currency before the 2nd banner comes out.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the welt-wanter-clara-haver-jing-yuan-waiter nation grows larger by the day, stay strong comrades

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
This game is good. I was expecting way more live service game grind but it just feels like a nice JRPG on your phone while you're progressing through the story. I got my least favourite five-star characters (Gepard and Yanqing) with my free pulls so far but that's life I guess. My one complaint is that most of the time I feel like I'm not making decisions in combat. I imagine over time characters will start to get more complex kits and alleviate that a bit.

Side effect, it's making me want to check in with Honkai 3rd Impact for the first time in years and find out what happened to the characters but goddamn the story is 30 lengthy chapters of game now and it's daunting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Got Seele after 50 pulls on her banner. NOW I can sit on them.

Has anyone done the math on leveling relics yet to figure out the breakpoint between raw stats and percentage?
Edit: oh wait I can see that in preview and do it myself. Let's see, level 12 purple gloves are 234 attack, level 1 is 45. Cloak is 28.7%, 5.5% at level 1. Looks like raw stats are better until ~815 base stats, but it also looks like gear slots don't offer both stats and percentage. I hadn't noticed that before.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 1, 2023

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This game gets me even worse than Genshin with God, I wish it was just a normal game with these mechanics. High production turned based games are a rarity these days and while the combat is a bit simple it’s solid and fun to play while looking cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Kyrosiris posted:

lmao at the idea of not using March.

[benched March immediately once I got a better group of units] :shepface:

My team of Phys-tagonist/Pela/Tingyun/Bailu has been doing perfectly fine, though I'm at the point where I'm wondering how I'm gonna change it if my next 5* isn't a DPS like Clara or Seele :v: