Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

nesbit37 posted:

I have, but not for several years, and last time I did Gen Con had the shuttle bus program that carted me to and from the hotel. With the shuttle bus it worked pretty well and I would say other than not being able to get back I can see why they wouldn’t want that, how would you even find it in their event catalog system? Have you done that before at other shows and had people sign up? I can’t ever seeing doing an event like that myself.

I do a podcast where we review weird and old RPG games that folks may have never heard of. We've done like 250 of them so far, and the GenCon gimmick is that once you sit down, you find out which game we've previously reviewed you're about to play in. We've done it at GenCon twice now, and both times filled up the table (though yeah, the fact that it's filled mostly with fans is a bit of a cheat), running Mermaid Adventures once and Vanishing Point once. This year I think rather than fight them about it and eventually put the event in the Misfit event category we'll just do our random determination at home and then announce the game in channels instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ah ok, that makes more sense and sounds more attractive. If I read something build as play an unknown ancient RPG I would be more inclined to join. If it was literally just “you don’t know what you’re playing till you get there!” I would just assume I am going to sit down for 4 hours of Beastfucker.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I get the question of “how do players know what’s up” but every year, there are tons of events listed where the “system” field just says something like “homebrew” so they definitely let people set up events with whatever they want.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Heh maybe next year I'll try just saying that then. This year we already resubmitted with a randomly rolled game from the archive and it's good we did it early because it'll support nine players now.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Fate Accomplice posted:

has anyone stayed 10-15 miles away from the convention center?

curious about experiences cause every time I've gone I've stayed at the JW, but this year my group missed the hotel lottery.

I'm seeing some cheap stuff in that distance range and I'm wondering how well it works.

We used to stay downtown with a friend, but after they moved farther out we... still stay with them... but are just farther away. My whole Gen Con experience has always been commuting in either via Uber or driving and parking. If you have a car and are aiming to get there early, you can usually find either street parking within a few blocks or park daily at a garage (which is expensive, but the cheaper room probably more than offsets this). The downside is that it gets messy if people in your group want to go at different times, and it kind of locks you into being there all day.

Any time we've Uber'd, I never felt the cost was too bad, and there were always plenty available (even late at night if we stayed out and went drinking after a late event). The obviously downside here, though, is that it can be inconvenient to lug stuff to and from the convention center if you're relying on Uber.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I will never understand why one of those locker companies doesn’t set up shop at GenCon like they do at furry cons
Imagine central lockers in the convention center for your heavy crap that you can just scoop up at bed time or when leaving the con seriously they would make so much money

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I will never understand why one of those locker companies doesn’t set up shop at GenCon like they do at furry cons
Imagine central lockers in the convention center for your heavy crap that you can just scoop up at bed time or when leaving the con seriously they would make so much money
MUH 9/11 AL-QAEDA

I know Gen-Con literally said the lockers were removed for security, but that was like 15 years ago and I cannot fathom there is no way they could revisit it

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

theironjef posted:

Heh maybe next year I'll try just saying that then. This year we already resubmitted with a randomly rolled game from the archive and it's good we did it early because it'll support nine players now.

Have a session where everyone is playing a different game. The characters are all together, but each player is using a different system.

No, I do not have any idea how that works in practice but it was in my brain and I hade to share.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Sounds like a good test session for that proposed campaign world Frank Mentzer was going to do with mechanics for 7 systems simultaneously listed

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Howdy, Gen Con enjoyers, I'm thinking about making the voyage this year. I have a bit of time this August off and some disposable income to spend on little plastic guys and tomes. This'll be my first major con out-of-state.

Other than not pass out on the floor, what are some things you wish you knew your first Gen Con (or, really just first major Con at all)?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Ego Trip posted:

Have a session where everyone is playing a different game. The characters are all together, but each player is using a different system.

No, I do not have any idea how that works in practice but it was in my brain and I hade to share.

I’ve run a one-shot where each player had a unknown target number on a d20 to confuse them about things going on, but entirely different rule sets sounds fun too.

Also gave everyone character sheets with squares/stars/smiley face tracks and would randomly ask them to cross off symbols

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Paranoid Dude posted:

Howdy, Gen Con enjoyers, I'm thinking about making the voyage this year. I have a bit of time this August off and some disposable income to spend on little plastic guys and tomes. This'll be my first major con out-of-state.

Other than not pass out on the floor, what are some things you wish you knew your first Gen Con (or, really just first major Con at all)?
Welcome, Paranoid Dude! Would you like to come chat in our Discord where everyone can constantly watch and plot about you?

Awesome to hear too; we all (every human) had a first Gen-Con and doing our best to thinking back to how unprepared we were the first time is always zany.

I definitely wish I had known that there is so much going on that filling your schedule with ticketed events is likely to be a bad idea unless your attendance is specifically tied to a desire to play something only available at the convention, in which case obviously who am I to interfere with that? But like, sure, maybe make sure you have a few events booked once the events list goes live and pick up some generic tickets, but between the Exhibit Hall, Auction/Consignment Store, and Goon meet-ups for food, drinking, gaming, or donuts, you can easily get to Sunday without touching the formal event apparatus.

Granted the Goon part did not apply when I first went in 1997 but even then there was still so much going on that I wish in hindsight I had only played in one of the games I did, but the only guy I went with who had been before insisted you would want at least 2 events a day 🤮

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
I wouldn't mind joining the Gen-Cord!

I can see I'll need the expertise of hardened Con'ers, having only experienced small cons, I was preparing to do something similar with trying to book 2-3 events per day, as that is largely how local cons tended to be best enjoyed. It'd also be cool to have some goons to break bread with if my friends do end up having to cancel.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ego Trip posted:

One of these days we'll do that but it'll be something we record, shame to waste all that weirdness on a generic game.

Also we announced the random roll game this morning, gonna be running Dallas. Can't want to bust that bad boy out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just realized my Indianapolis Children's Museum membership does not specify WHAT extra person I bring with me, if anyone wants to spend their time at the Minecraft exhibit instead of Gen-Con it runs until August 6

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

Just realized my Indianapolis Children's Museum membership does not specify WHAT extra person I bring with me, if anyone wants to spend their time at the Minecraft exhibit instead of Gen-Con it runs until August 6

How early you getting in on Wednesday?

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Welp theres a GenCon dream. Someone tried to use a giant candelabra to burn down the convention center with us inside it. Luckily the goons put out the fire before Gencon had to be closed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Eastmabl posted:

How early you getting in on Wednesday?
So early I will be there the previous Friday. Though that will be for Actual Children's Museum Stuff. I am usually busy all day Wednesday until Shots Aforementioned but you never know

Erainor posted:

Welp theres a GenCon dream. Someone tried to use a giant candelabra to burn down the convention center with us inside it. Luckily the goons put out the fire before Gencon had to be closed.
Thank you for your service.

1) A+ Gen-Con dream, very non-standard yet entirely dream-plausible, as we would totally band together against giant candelabra wielders
2) You reminded me I also had my first Gen-Con dream of 2023 last night, a meta-dream where I was goofing off in my hotel room on Sunday and sent a group text/said out loud and it became a text "oh my god I made so many jokes about forgetting to go to the convention center that I forgot to go to the convention center"

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Does anyone know how tournaments work in regards to signing up? Husband wants to do the King of Tokyo tournament, and it seems to be in two parts.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I’m pretty sure you just sign up for the first round of the tournament and then keep your schedule open for the 2nd. If you make it to subsequent rounds you just show up.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Trying to get an escape room group together. Check out the #escape-room-ogranizing channel on the thread Discord.

We had good luck with the Poe-themed escape room from Eclipse-Escapes last year, so we're looking at trying out their other escape room, Curses! Trapped in Wonderland. Day and time to be determined, but last year we did Saturday at 3pm.

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

Quarex -

I've watched the auction for years; I promised myself that this year, I would participate. How do you sign up to bid on things? I couldn't find any instructions on Gen Con's website.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Okkult posted:

I've watched the auction for years; I promised myself that this year, I would participate. How do you sign up to bid on things? I couldn't find any instructions on Gen Con's website.
*slams RED ALERT button*
*papers flying all over the room as Quarex scrambles to answer the question*

It is fortunately a remarkably simple process, as you go up to the long desk (O.K. the long desk setup might be changed since we are in a new location, but it will probably still be on the leftmost side of the room) and tell them you want a bidder card. They have you fill out the back of a card with your name and address, and you give them either $1 for a white bidder card where you pay for items as you win bids, or a $50 deposit for a "tab-style" bidder card, where you can wait until the end of the day to pay for and pick up your hoard.

The $50 used to be fully refundable, and might be this year, though for the past few years it has been a credit towards your purchases rather than a pure deposit.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I forgot they changed that deposit from refundable to essentially a payment whether you buy anything or not. That makes me feel less good about the auction, and i was planning on spending a decent amount of time there this year (will have to see how event signup day shakes out with the auction schedule). I would like to think I am going to spend at least $50 at the auction but I’ve also gone and either not had anything i wanted come up, or have it come up and just go for too high of a price for me. I eagerly away to hear what they say about that deposit this year, as well as a tentative auction schedule.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I respect not everyone is like me, when I paid the $50 for the tab without even understanding it was a deposit. Still remember my profound delight when they gave me that $50 back. Though I then felt like I needed to spend it in some sort of *rolls on random old reference chart* Brewster's Millions shenanigans

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
After rolling schedule open last year, I'm trying to book a few more events this year. Trying to get in some RPGs I kick-started but haven't been able to play and try out a few boardgames I don't feel like buying. Also trying to do Math Trade this year and, of course, fit in the DCC RPG tourney.

Anyone have any favorite events or pet projects to recommend? Going to go ahead and disappoint you all by saying up front that I have no interest in the auction.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Bruxism posted:

After rolling schedule open last year, I'm trying to book a few more events this year. Trying to get in some RPGs I kick-started but haven't been able to play and try out a few boardgames I don't feel like buying. Also trying to do Math Trade this year and, of course, fit in the DCC RPG tourney.

Anyone have any favorite events or pet projects to recommend? Going to go ahead and disappoint you all by saying up front that I have no interest in the auction.

I always look forward to Corvus Belli's seminar but that's because I play Infinity a lot. I do try to find a DCC level 0 funnel just to see how many dirt farmers I can get killed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bruxism posted:

I spent my first year after checking out the Auction making fun of how dumb it was. Then the next year I brought somebody new with me to laugh at it and kind of enjoyed it. Two years later I was already into my friends asking "oh my god are you going to do anything BUT attend the Auction?" territory

I mean there is a reason I am not even looking at the events list this year. There is no point. Between the Exhibit Hall, Auction, and Goon meetups I know every waking moment is already filled

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finally set up an event wishlist. I have two whole items, both of them System Mastery. The third System Mastery event conflicts with Grover Lunch and Rude Tales isn't coming this year.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ooh which ones are you going to?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

Ooh which ones are you going to?

The live show and hopefully Sentinels. Grover Lunch is at 1:15 instead of noon this year so I may not commit to Sentinels :ohdear:

Obviously you should move the game to Harry and Izzy's then

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I always hate the night before event registration. Did I remove all the overlapping events, were there things I forgot, are there this I overlooked, will I actually manage to snag a non-TD event this year...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, there's a seminar on Saturday at 11 that I really want to attend but it just shoots any other plans for Saturday morning right down. C'est la vie!

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

I have redundancies for my redundancies. Plans A through Z. Wheels within wheels. Nothing can go wrong.

:ohdear:

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Last minute addition to my list - an escape room that's 80s creepy video game themed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Are they getting mega-slammed or something? I've moved less than 1000 spots for processing in an hour.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
There were definitely tens of thousands of people hitting a button at the same instant. My group got anywhere from 960 to 11000 and we all hit the button at noon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BlackIronHeart posted:

There were definitely tens of thousands of people hitting a button at the same instant. My group got anywhere from 960 to 11000 and we all hit the button at noon.
Oh, yeah, that’s normal. An hour to move less than 1000 places in the processing queue where the system just has to hand out tickets based on priority and availability, less so.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Oh! Honestly this is the first year I've been able to hit the button since the pando. I work nights so GenCon tells me to go gently caress myself by scheduling every important thing at noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Three hours of processing to get a grand total of two things off my wishlist, both bottom priority, and of course all the Lorcana stuff immediately sold out before I could get another bite at the apple. I'm incredibly disgruntled.