Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Check out this awesome move!

[Aggressively backflips onto a bench]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah! a traditional rpg from mihoyo would be nice but (as someone with zero insight into video game production) i would hazard you can't get decision makers on board for that kind of investment without the promise of gargantuan roi. maybe trails comes close?

Speaking of one's return on (time) invested, i think i've actually, for real this time, run out of ways to progress without grinding at account level 22. there were a lot more unmarked sidequests than i expected but now it's time to dehumanize myself and face to live service mechanisms

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Farming resources is incredibly quick and gated by an energy mechanic, so I wouldn't really call it "grinding". Unless you're talking about simulated universe?

As long as you have a team that can just slap on fastforward and autobattle, anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Same, except even moreso for me because I have neither Clara nor Susheng somehow. So uh, Phys Trailblazer is my only real option for Phys. Besides like, Natasha, technically.

This actually isn't that unusual, since Clara is a 5*, so Sushang is the only reasonably acquirable character (but isn't on rate-up, so you're unlikely to get her unless you got her off the beginner banner or off of the relatively small number of standard banner pulls).

I've fortunately rolled one of her (but haven't invested in her yet, though I plan on passing the MC's physical damage relics to her once I unlock the fire MC).

Mix. posted:

[benched March immediately once I got a better group of units] :shepface:

My team of Phys-tagonist/Pela/Tingyun/Bailu has been doing perfectly fine, though I'm at the point where I'm wondering how I'm gonna change it if my next 5* isn't a DPS like Clara or Seele :v:

March does fit a niche that I don't think you can fill with anyone except Gepard, though. Even though I don't use her as much due to also having Bailu, I still keep her leveled up (partly because I have a single set of defense relics to give her).

Also, I find that having two separate ice character is nice for stuff like the XP domains.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Steely Glint posted:

Yeah! a traditional rpg from mihoyo would be nice but (as someone with zero insight into video game production) i would hazard you can't get decision makers on board for that kind of investment without the promise of gargantuan roi. maybe trails comes close?

trails gets there but they also have to crank out a game a year

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Huh looks like memory stage 11 is when you start needing two teams. Guess I’ll need to start building a few characters I benched

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have enough starlight to get Arlan from the shop before he rotates, and he's one of only two 4-stars I'm missing. But do I care?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

He's got a fun gimmick that plays really well with the Destruction set in SU. Uh, that's about it, I found him to be generally less useful than Serval in other content. I guess you might eventually want a full Lightning team for some reason and he'd be... One of those?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

genshin has done like over 2bil, so yea, they're never gonna look at a traditional game with like no profit

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Rianlee posted:

Are you me? Because I also wanted Welt, got Clara, and am waiting for Jing Yuan, (and Loucha.) For a second I thought I could move Landau's Choice (increases likelihood of being hit, reduce damage taken) from March to Clara, but then remembered that light cones are path specific. I wonder if there is a similar destruction light cone.

Yes I am you because I literally had the same double take ("Oh maybe I can put Landau's choice on.... Oh gently caress nevermind, path specific.")

Happy to be not alone in the Welt-Wanter-Clara-Haver-Jing-Yuan-Waiter nation tho! Feeling pretty good about my banked up currency/tickets. Just gotta make the 50/50 (uh oh).

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Since my account was blessed with Bronya from the guaranteed beginner banner and Seele from the Seele banner, I think I'm just gonna hoard until Kafka unless the Space China General is insanely better than Serval or gets really cool in the story. He does have Osvald's VA...

Overall, a bit into Space China, I'm really glad I decided to give this game a chance. I have so many gripes with Genshin that Star Rail somehow sidesteps less by addressing them than just by having a tone/vibe/story that resonates a lot better with me. I think a big part of it is that you have an actual "JRPG Party" with you all the time instead of just Paimon. The MC's back and forth with March and Dan is really fun, and I'm glad it's Welt Time now since he's cool.

Current status, mildly obsessed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gepard and March pair together really well actually, March's counter only cares if they're shielded, not if it's March's shield. Double ice is less nice but March falls off once mobs start doing tons of aoe so it's a solid pair. Gepard's shield is WAY beefier than Fireblazers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eimi posted:

Gepard and March pair together really well actually, March's counter only cares if they're shielded, not if it's March's shield. Double ice is less nice but March falls off once mobs start doing tons of aoe so it's a solid pair. Gepard's shield is WAY beefier than Fireblazers.

Yeah this is where I’m at it right now. She’s just a dps machine now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Eimi posted:

That's fair, I'd just worry about either missing out on healing or damage throughout.

I like using my faves, optimization be damned. :shobon:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kyrosiris posted:

That's fair, I'd just worry about either missing out on healing or damage throughout.

I like using my faves, optimization be damned. :shobon:

I mean you can pair the other group shielder with Nat regardless, and both groups are WAY safer. I think I would prefer Nat + Fireblazer just because the smaller shields do let aoe damage through but I don't have their second con yet.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Today's daily mission was a followup with the moles and their earnest attempts to supplant the local government are super cute~

Jabor posted:

Farming resources is incredibly quick and gated by an energy mechanic, so I wouldn't really call it "grinding". Unless you're talking about simulated universe?

As long as you have a team that can just slap on fastforward and autobattle, anyway.

I don't, which helps! something being mindless and timegated makes it feel more grindy rather than less, though ofc that's a very personal judgment. if something is fun and one can engage with it at their own pace then it's just more game. like, monster hunter saying "kill X borblins" takes much higher values of X to feel grindy than world of warcraft doing the same thing imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Steely Glint posted:

Today's daily mission was a followup with the moles and their earnest attempts to supplant the local government are super cute~

I'm guessing these daily missions are still random per account (like with Genshin)? I've gotten a series of (I think) 3 with this guy submitting his goofy papers to a university, and now I'm doing a series of trying to help some researcher who is bad at communicating.

I hope they stay like this and don't start doing "kill some mobs" like in Genshin.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Yea my last two daily missions have been a follow up from that quest which starts by viewing video tapes, and it’s been cool to follow up given that it’s ending was pretty emotional.

They’ve also been pretty amusing. Actually look forward to doing my daily missions.

Side note: I’m finding it interesting that the vast majority have of Star Rail pics I’m seeing from players is with a female MC. Seems to be the inverse of Genshin.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 1, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing these daily missions are still random per account (like with Genshin)? I've gotten a series of (I think) 3 with this guy submitting his goofy papers to a university, and now I'm doing a series of trying to help some researcher who is bad at communicating.

I hope they stay like this and don't start doing "kill some mobs" like in Genshin.
Genshin always gives you one narrative commission like that and three combat commissions every day, so it seems like they've just replaced the combat ones with the Daily Training system here.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

FractalSandwich posted:

Genshin always gives you one narrative commission like that and three combat commissions every day, so it seems like they've just replaced the combat ones with the Daily Training system here.

Not always. They're common but not guaranteed.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if it's intentional but some of the writing in this game is really funny.

The instant after you finish killing Bronya's mom March 7th is like "wow that was a fun adventure wasn't it guys?" and Bronya is still in frame mourning.

Like geeze March read the room. Maybe if you see enough worlds burn and die the little things like people dying just don't really affect you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure if it's a testament to her power or to actually leveling up gear, but Seele is a beast.

Figuring out what to focus, do we see better than 4* equipment in current content?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ah, there’s the part of the mirror that needs two parties. Time to do what I did in Genshin and break my strong core in two and build around that!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have literally only gotten daily missions from the series about the actress's double asking me to stalk the actress she is doubling since I unlocked daily missions which is kinda annoying.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I have literally only gotten daily missions from the series about the actress's double asking me to stalk the actress she is doubling since I unlocked daily missions which is kinda annoying.
Yeah that's the series that its given me every day and, they're not that interesting tbh. I hope the payoff is good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My daily commission was finishing this guy's thesis, and now I joined some scammer secret dark society.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Ibblebibble posted:

Same. It's a shame I have no idea what 'date' it is, because I found a rehearsal schedule around there saying that the actress she voices was injured in some accident, and I've love to know if that's just an excuse for her not being in rehearsals or if time's looped in on itself.

Also I now have a C5 Natasha. Why's the gacha gotta be like this, I haven't even left iceland yet.

e. Adv. rank works like in genshin, right? Where if it's capped, the unrealized points are just banked until you uncap it? Story-wise I'm not allowed to get past 20 just yet, but I cannot possibly stop myself from talking to everyone and buying random crap that looks like it's for a quest and killing stuff to open chests.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 1, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zenostein posted:

Same. It's a shame I have no idea what 'date' it is, because I found a rehearsal schedule around there saying that the actress she voices was injured in some accident, and I've love to know if that's just an excuse for her not being in rehearsals or if time's looped in on itself.

Also I now have a C5 Natasha. Why's the gacha gotta be like this, I haven't even left iceland yet.

e. Adv. rank works like in genshin, right? Where if it's capped, the unrealized points are just banked until you uncap it? Story-wise I'm not allowed to get past 20 just yet, but I cannot possibly stop myself from talking to everyone and buying random crap that looks like it's for a quest and killing stuff to open chests.

Yeah it banks, you're good to chatter.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I have Seele, and she's great when I use her, but I've just been having so much fun with Sushang and physical is a much more common weakness than quantum, that I've basically stopped using Seele. Unless I get to a big fight that has Quantum as a weakness but no Physical, at which point I just give her Sushang's relics.

Also been using a lot of March, Fireblazer, Sampo, Welt, and Serval.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Did another normal 10-pull and got Tingyun. Sampo and her are top 2 of my 4* wishlist and I got them back to back, I guess this game really wants me to stay huh

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

how does every person know my phone number in this game

e: never mind me march probably tells literally everyone

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 1, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The underground rap was pretty legit.

I want a record of that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Rissuuu/status/1652682517118590977?s=20

I appreciate how much of a freak the fanbase has been portraying the MC as.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its one of the most common archetypes of silent protag tbh

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Where's the fourth target in the first stage of that domain on the space station where you have to take photos of ghosts to recover their data? I can't find it anywhere.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I got a praise of high morals or whatever they are called by beating up a cop who was mad at me for breaking containers.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

goty

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i think one of the reasons I'm playing this game nonstop compared to something like genshin where i have clear "in" and "out" periods of enjoying the game is....

the battle system in star rail is arguably equally as simple as the one in genshin but every weakness hit, or bar break looks feels and sounds really awesome. i think that actually helps, it makes me enjoy myself every time i get in a battle

and also, of course, turn based rpgs are the god genre and star rail doesn't have to worry about being an open world that is very pretty but functionally empty save for chests

now that I think about it, i wonder if star rail will have events like genshin did, where you could get free materials and or characters and poo poo. that would be doppe.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FractalSandwich posted:

Where's the fourth target in the first stage of that domain on the space station where you have to take photos of ghosts to recover their data? I can't find it anywhere.

Turn around after you go into that area with the fork, it's tiny and high up above the door you came in.

I think the other ones are pretty obvious so that's probably the one you're missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jabor posted:

Turn around after you go into that area with the fork, it's tiny and high up above the door you came in.

I think the other ones are pretty obvious so that's probably the one you're missing.
Oh, come on Hoyo! You expect players to look up and behind themselves? Haven't you listened to the Portal developer commentary?

Thanks.