Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Eason the Fifth posted:

On a scale of 0-10 Ohio train derailments, how bad is this for the people there?

I would rate this somewhat worse than a normal Ohio, but better than a derailed train Ohio.

edit: ohio-sniped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
looks like about 1 cuyahoga river

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

GD_American posted:

If it's black smoke that means they haven't selected a new CO yet

:sbahj:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

I don't think this is the thread to be worrying about the health of russians living in houses stolen from Ukrainians.
I think the people currently living in Sevastopol are largely the same people who were living there pre-2014.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Herman Merman posted:

I think the people currently living in Sevastopol are largely the same people who were living there pre-2014.

Numbers vary a bit depending on what estimates you use, but as of a couple of years ago 150-200k Ukrainians had fled or been forced out and ~250k Russians had moved to Crimea in that time. total population of Crimea is only ~2 million so that's a very significant population movement.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 30, 2023

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Looks like Pavlohrad is in the crosshairs tonight. There's rumors of a dozen Tu-95's in the air as well
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1652762412867616770

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Borscht posted:

Looks like Pavlohrad is in the crosshairs tonight. There's rumors of a dozen Tu-95's in the air as well
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1652762412867616770

Perhaps trying to blunt the UKA offensive before it starts?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Perhaps trying to blunt the UKA offensive before it starts?

By striking strategically significant targets? That will never work, they should go back to hitting apartment complexes. The population was just about to give in.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Digging ditches can't hurt you...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russian-forces-radiation-sickness-trenches-chernobyl-b2329690.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

“Don’t try to find logic, it’s stupid,” said Oksana Pyshna, 30, a tour guide turned employee of the state ministry responsible for the exclusion zone, told the newspaper.

Ukraine thread: Don’t try to find logic, it’s stupid

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, we all knew it, but loving hell

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I made the mistake of reading the comments... :negative:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, we all knew it, but loving hell

They didn't necessarily die from their exposure to spicy isotopes, but, getting ARS bodes ill for your future prospects of life without something like cancer loving you up.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

madeintaipei posted:

Huntsville would 100% get flattened. Redstone Arsenal and all of the local defense industry related businesses around would ensure that. Maybe people on the other side of Monte Sano and Chapman mountains would survive, but the city would end up smoldering, radioactive red clay.

I guess the basement here would survive as long as the house didn't collapse into it, but that would make a lovely bunker. Best case scenario is one of our vehicles is still useable and 72 is clear as an escape route. To loving where though? Coastal Georgia?

gently caress it. Same deal as you. Wiggle my dick at the incoming apocalypse and hope for the best. Although... nuclear fire might clear up the pollen and mosquitos some.

Old post, but never expected to see HSV pop up in the Ukraine thread, of all places.

But yeah, Huntsville's boned. And between Brown's Ferry to the west and Arnold AFB to the northeast, there's really nowhere to go. Those mountains won't save you, either -- the rads and fires will take care of that.

IMHO the best place to be is Birmingham, a city that's long past being of any strategic value in any conflict.

E: forgot about Oak Ridge, but that's waaaay further east. That's deffo on the nuke list

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 1, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wrong thread, teach me to have a bunch of tabs open

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 1, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

90s Solo Cup posted:

long past being of any strategic value in any conflict.

Good thing Russia keeps their materiel and plans modernized

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

90s Solo Cup posted:

Old post, but never expected to see HSV pop up in the Ukraine thread, of all places.

But yeah, Huntsville's boned. And between Brown's Ferry to the west and Arnold AFB to the northeast, there's really nowhere to go. Those mountains won't save you, either -- the rads and fires will take care of that.

IMHO the best place to be is Birmingham, a city that's long past being of any strategic value in any conflict.

E: forgot about Oak Ridge, but that's waaaay further east. That's deffo on the nuke list

Birmingham's got a great art museum that would make for a fantastic post-apocalyptic marauder hideout/scavenging spot.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/shakirov2036/status/1652758554766614528?t=E24wLoEt-frMUqoeBXsExw&s=19

That's a relief; Russia has discovered the dangers of unfettered AI, and lobotomized it before it creates the Freedom Nexus.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
are we the baddies?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Alan Smithee posted:

are we the baddies?

No. We're just a global brute

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russia's going to regain the former glory of the USSR's computer science advances by being the first country to criminally indict an AI.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how do you think Allied Mastercomputer was created

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Chronojam posted:

Good thing Russia keeps their materiel and plans modernized

Yeah I was about to say. If your live near a place that was a prime target during the cold war, it seems likely there's still a dingy old Russian ICBM pointed at it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is the pentagon hot dog stand still there or did they move it 50 feet after 9/11

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Alan Smithee posted:

is the pentagon hot dog stand still there or did they move it 50 feet after 9/11

Replaced with a new larger but still pentagonal Au Bon Pain restaurant, apparently.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

Birmingham's got a great art museum that would make for a fantastic post-apocalyptic marauder hideout/scavenging spot.

The viewing platform from Vulcan would make a great OP.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

are we the baddies?

Us humans?

... probably.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Some Ukrainian soldiers must take extraordinary measures to eject a deadly enemy from their trench:
https://i.imgur.com/TlBEr6p.mp4

It's a polecat or a ferret of some sort. It made my day.

E: The Ukraine Thread: Sounds of Death

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 1, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Mzuri posted:

Some Ukrainian soldiers must take extraordinary measures to eject a deadly enemy from their trench:

It’s a Marbled Polecat. That video cuts off but it does climb out on the vest after biting it. Screaming at them one last time as it hops into the grass.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Apparently Russian Army troops and Wagner Mercs got into a shooting fight recently.

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-troops-wagner-mercenaries-killed-085946555.html

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cimber posted:

Apparently Russian Army troops and Wagner Mercs got into a shooting fight recently.

You love to see it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://wapo.st/44fCJPT

quote:

The United States estimates Russia has suffered 100,000 casualties in Bakhmut since December, including more than 20,000 killed in action, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said on a call with reporters Monday.

:stare:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Cimber posted:

sourcing on that is beyond dogshit to be clear

certainly puts russia's rapidly evaporating offensive combat power and renewed push for a new wave of manpower into perspective

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In case anyone didn't catch it the first time around, that's just in Bakhmut.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh please, that's only 0.1 Stalingrads

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mzuri posted:

Never tease a weasel, because teasing isn't nice!
Also, a weasel will gently caress you up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Weasels have like no fear and can kill things twice their size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Weasels have like no fear and can kill things twice their size.

I thought eliminating farm rats with dogs was maximum fun until I saw a man do it with a dog and a pair of ferrets.

The dog knew the ferrets well enough to chase the rats where they couldn't go, but the weasels were well suited for, and vice versa.

loving massacre. Dog chased rats into or under poo poo, weasels were waiting. Weasels chased rats out from under or behind poo poo, dog was waiting. Meanwhile we're watching, drinking a few beers, cheering, and collecting corpses.

You should have seen the ferrets at the end of it! Blood red from nose to front legs. Happy and chittering. Furiously cleaning themselves then passing out on top of the equally tuckered out dog.