Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

I mostly remember there was some sorta thing between Taylor (aforementioned Yellow) and Eric from Time Force in the crossover.

Was the princess mentor and the Silver being a thing just Gaoranger, Wild Force, both, or neither and my brain made it up

Both, that’s one of the parts that was pretty much adapted 1:1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh right, Silver was like Link to her Zelda, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, and somehow they managed to make it work (though RPM still had a bit of Go-Onger style goofiness here and there)

I think a real key to the fact it still works is just how flatly Dr. K no-sells any and all attempts to point out that it's goofy.

You know a series I don't know if people sleep on but certainly doesn't get talked about a lot and that's really fun? Jungle Fury. Super solid. And I recognize Lily's actress from Cabin in the Woods, which is a little odd.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I think a real key to the fact it still works is just how flatly Dr. K no-sells any and all attempts to point out that it's goofy.

You know a series I don't know if people sleep on but certainly doesn't get talked about a lot and that's really fun? Jungle Fury. Super solid. And I recognize Lily's actress from Cabin in the Woods, which is a little odd.

Indeed (though its Sentai counterpart Gekiranger also isn’t bad), and I still maintain that RJ is one of the greatest mentors in PR history

Gaz-L posted:

Oh right, Silver was like Link to her Zelda, right?

As I recall, pretty much yeah

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Larryb posted:

Indeed (though its Sentai counterpart Gekiranger also isn’t bad), and I still maintain that RJ is one of the greatest mentors in PR history
Totally-not-a-Stoner Wolf that runs a pizzeria is one of the top mentors yes.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Dawgstar posted:

Jungle Fury was the second power ranger season i ever fully watched, it's a fun show and it holds a place in my heart -also RJ is one of the best mentors

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Casey has a great red ranger arc

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The main bad guy in Jungle Fury actually deciding to heel face turn was really neat.

Also, drat cool looking not-ranger form.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The full stampede in Jungle Fury rules, the whole series builds to it. The initial 3 learning to work together, Casey and RJ working out the leader dynamic, Dom returning, then Jared finally turning back and Cameel(?) following her loyalty to him. It's so good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It would be neat if more series focused on a smaller core group of Rangers and explored their relationships, although admittedly they're kind of locked by Sentai footage.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They had this with Gobus and kind of dropped it, at least on the front of the rangers' (and Buddyroids') very specific family dynamics.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dawgstar posted:

Lost Galaxy has Cerina Vincent, who was in Cabin Fever. Cabin actors are in high demand. Get Bruce Campbell in one of these.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Heavy Metal posted:

Lost Galaxy has Cerina Vincent, who was in Cabin Fever. Cabin actors are in high demand. Get Bruce Campbell in one of these.

He's no stranger to filming in New Zealand. Him as a Zordon would be amazing. Does he work for cheap?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Finally got around to watching it. Clunky plot, rough dialogue, kinda rushed fight choreography and I don't think I'll ever like CGI Zords... I loved it. They're the Power Rangers and if you aren't on board for them to loving end (wait, we can say kill now!) Rita from the start then go watch something else. Netflix isn't perfect and yes this is a clear nostalgia play but you know what? I've made it to middle age, I get to enjoy things like this now. Only thing missing? Surely we could wrangled the Dragonzord in there somehow. Say it's all pissed about Tommy and it's just showing up to wreck some baddies.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

J33uk posted:

Only thing missing? Surely we could wrangled the Dragonzord in there somehow. Say it's all pissed about Tommy and it's just showing up to wreck some baddies.

How can you have the green ranger and not play the dragon dagger music!?

Part of me is annoyed that they had stand-ins for Tommy, Jason, and Kimberly but then I realized that's part of the tradition of the series - not only cutting between super sentai footage and american-shot footage, but having awkward stand-ins because of pay disputes or actors walking off the set.

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

Opens sentai thread sees nothing about Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger closes thread

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oberstwo posted:

Opens sentai thread sees nothing about Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger closes thread

ADTRW is just down the hall, chief.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Hasbro is ending production of Power Rangers in New Zealand.

quote:

International hit series Power Rangers is leaving New Zealand after being produced on our shores for more than 20 years.

The news has shocked members of the film industry, who've called it a huge loss for the cast and crew who've been a part of the show.

The production company, Hasbro, confirmed the news to 1News in a statement but didn't say why it was discontinuing filming here.

"We are committed to keeping Power Rangers fresh by reimagining the brand and how we bring our entertainment content to life for our consumers", a spokesperson said.

After 10 years of production in the United States and Japan, the show was brought to New Zealand in 2002 — so it could be made for cheaper.

Article also contains a Cosmic Fury spoiler, revealing that Commander Shaw from Beast Morphers will be appearing in it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, curious if they’re going to move operations back to the states then or find somewhere else to go.

Also we still don’t have a specific release date for Cosmic Fury besides Fall 2023 or any idea what’s happening after that series right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kinda assuming the worst, but we won't know for a while.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

Huh, curious if they’re going to move operations back to the states then or find somewhere else to go.

Also we still don’t have a specific release date for Cosmic Fury besides Fall 2023 or any idea what’s happening after that series right?

Nope. Simon Bennett said that post-production won't be done until late July and Hasbro has not announced anything about the future of the series yet.

Speaking of Simon, he announced earlier this year that Cosmic Fury is his last season of PR. It was his choice, not Hasbro's. Writers Becca Barnes and Alwyn Dale are also done after Cosmic Fury.

And if you want to prep for Cosmic Fury, Simon recommends re-watching the final 11 episodes of Dino Fury again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Personally I think it is going to be on hiatus for a while

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
The only conclusion is Hasbro selling the franchise back to Saban.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I only just watched once and always. It was kinda great, like exactly what you’d hope to get from something like this. No regrets watching.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Larryb posted:

Probably Vancouver or somewhere else cheap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Atlanta cheap as those places? It would be cool if they filmed near where I live.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hasbro will film in Canada alongside the other Power Rangers projects and that movie so the production can have more synergy, and invigorate the main show by changing up production and all the travel time. It will be specially appealing for returning cast members not to have to go all the way to New Zealand for a paycheck that'd only cover the travel.

Or, in a more realistic fashion, it's on ice.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This idea is right there and nobody has done it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QRn2gGTbak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BzsvXwqbbs

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's kinda interesting how it never happened. Saban probably didn't really have the means, they hardly made any original animations. Disney was in an odd spot trying to appeal to boys while they owned Power Rangers. By the time Disney XD launched, they probably had written off the franchise as Power Rangers RPM began to air on ABC a month later. Saban once more didn't have the means to produce an animated and Nickelodeon of 2012 was struggling with their premium action animated show, The Legend of Korra (as in how they even watned to promote and air it)

Hasbro probably can do an animated power rangers? They do have My Little Pony and Transformers under their umbrella. The former basically never ending since Friendship is Magic fifteen years ago or whatever, and the latter having probably a dozen different animated shows in the same amount of time. I could see the math somehow working out, but I could also believe if some suit says it doesn't make sense for them and that's it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To be fair, 2012 Nick also had just rebooted the thing that Power Rangers originally supplanted as the kids action franchise of it's day-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
From what I've heard doing an animated Power Rangers thing has been suggested several times over the years but every time Toei has immediately shot it down

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Junpei posted:

To be fair, 2012 Nick also had just rebooted the thing that Power Rangers originally supplanted as the kids action franchise of it's day-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Ah, fair

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Simon Bennett is teasing what we can expect in Cosmic Fury:

https://twitter.com/Pookina1/status/1675315146590425089?t=whuCS90NKd2ck-FmSsbxKw&s=19

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's gone. What'd it say?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Twitter is not allowing anyone without an account to read.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Tweet has actually been deleted - not just the account limit thing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It said there wouldn't be obligatory comedy duo scenes, filler, or lessons of the week.

If he was serious then he is entirely too online poisoned imo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Siegkrow posted:

Twitter is not allowing anyone without an account to read.
It's not letting people with accounts read.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
For some reason, the tweet was still showing up in the SA app so I’m reposting it in plain text below:

2/2 5/Character and story threads through the whole season - each episode leads into the next. 6/Personalised unique weapons. 7/original monster characters. 8/New Lord Zedd voice actor. 9/More music from Bert Selen. 10/ New theme song.

— Simon Bennett (@Pookina1) July 2, 2023

(I believe the original tweet was deleted and probably reposted to remove the part about the new Lord Zedd actor commentary as apparently, the previous actor had been harassed for their VA work on the show online and had chosen to not continue voicing the character in Cosmic Fury due to that).

Unfortunately, due to the twitter issues, I’m unable to find further information about that but I hope the original tweet above is helpful either way.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seiyal posted:

(I believe the original tweet was deleted and probably reposted to remove the part about the new Lord Zedd actor commentary as apparently, the previous actor had been harassed for their VA work on the show online and had chosen to not continue voicing the character in Cosmic Fury due to that).

Well that's not unexpected but still sucks.