Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

MikeC posted:

I will never understand the incest fetish. The fact that A Perfect Circle, which sounds incredibly difficult to accomplish, has 1% completion rate, and more people have had an inbred child trait than have diverged a culture makes me feel kind of weird about human beings.

Isn't cultural divergence tied to DLC? Those achievements are always lower completion than base game stuff. Perfect Circle isn't so much "difficult" as it is really suboptimal. Even with the full Blood legacy tree you're gonna have inbred kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've never done it myself, but it's the reputation the game has, partially due to the reputation the period/nobility has.

Though from what I hear apparently there was only one recorded first cousin marriage in Catholic Europe in the period, which got annulled by the Pope against the wishes of both participants? And third cousin marriage was scandalous? I definitely remember seeing someone complaining about Catholicism having avuncular marriage being ahistorical.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yes but it's a thing that happens in game of thrones and people run to Reddit to post about, so you can't take it out of the game even if it essentially never happened (for good reasons people took seriously). See also: red weddings.

ELTON JOHN posted:

it rocks that when describing the bloody wedding mechanic they took pains to provide historical examples to deflect criticism that they were just copying game of thrones lol

But also the examples they cite really aren't the mechanic they're implementing, they're just sort of adjacent.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 18, 2023

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Dorkopotamis posted:

Liking what they're showing us of the expansion thus far. New events should be a shot in the arm.

Something I hate, hate hate about the game at present is that always at a certain point, most of the events, notifications, that I receive are somehow connected to a hostile scheme against my family or my character. Most and also, too many. This may also be connected to having a very skilled Spy Master or just a lot of family. Unsure. I don't mind the existence of hostile schemes, though I find the quantity and courtiers' preoccupation with them to be overdone and often, nonsensical.

Tell me less. Show me less. If they're not me or my heir, or highlighted as a character of interest: let me find out in a different way. In my own way, if I want. But usually, I don't care.
I get so many events telling me that someone in my prison is being targeted for murder. Almost always, they are prisoners of war (external wars) so they're not even from my court.

The only reason I would ever care is if they were an important prisoner for a ransom, claim or hook. Instead, I keep getting told about Nobody 1 trying to murder imprisoned Nobody 2!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just want less feast invitations. My cholesterol is too high as it is.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I started a game with a Greek Hellenist character, as one does.

My plan was to include gender equality in the faith reform and initially switch to male-preference to keep the succession I'd set up ... but I forgot that you need the high crown authority tech to be allowed to switch inheritance priority, so my inheritance was immediately hosed up with 4 daughters asserting their rights. No worries, I thought: I have Byzantine Traditions, I can fix this. I gave a pair of sub-par spare sons the snip after selling them out for alliances, which promptly disinherited them. They were mildly unhappy for a bit but got over it and I got a reasonably talented Chief Eunuch out of the deal: A+ would castrate again.

I next arrested the one Ambitious daughter that was looking real problematic and blinded her. Which did nothing. I now have a Blind, Ambitious daughter who really, really hates me in the inheritance tree. I ended up just giving her the smallest bit of duchy I could find and am hoping my son can fix things when he inherits; she has an intrigue of 3, but I've lost a granddaughter to mysterious circumstances already.

Do the Byz Traditions inheritance rules just not apply to daughters?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

Do the Byz Traditions inheritance rules just not apply to daughters?

I can't look at it in game right now, but the wiki says "Characters with negative physical traits receive fewer elective votes" and "Characters with negative physical traits cannot use Claim Casus Belli" under Byzantine traditions. It does not seem to hard-block inheritance.

This is opposed to Eunuch, which seems to as a trait block inheritance regardless of tradition.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Ah. I did not realize the Eunuch trait had its own disinherit function, I thought that the disinheriting was because Byz Traditions had a hard No Physical Disfigurement clause. I at least remember the mechanics working that way, but I might be confusing them with something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't mind the plot events overmuch, but oh my loving god game, SHUT UP about some pissant vassals having affairs with their chambermaids or whatever, PLEASE.

Like, at least plotting in my court is still feasibly relevant information, but there's no reason whatsoever for me as an Emperor to care that it's actually Baron Fuckstick who's the real father of Countess Dorkface's latest baby, and not her bodyguard Gerbert of Bumfucksville. At least not to the extent that I need a big event about it where I have to go "OH THE HUMANITY HOW COULD THEY"

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
If only it could have stayed a secret! So I wouldn't have to hear about it.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Your vassals loving each other is actually a super easy way to redo all the allegiances, because you can then jail & revoke title with no issues. If I remake faiths I usually make sure to make cheating bad for both genders for this reason.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I don't get why I still get notifications if I reform the religion so adultery is shunned for everyone instead of criminal. I don't even get to jail anyone for it. In general, all this stuff is just a problem of scale and the game is terrible at toning down frequency of events as you get larger with more vassals.

It's somewhat related to how the game also has this terrible time of ever expanding NPC's. When you get to the late game there are just so many unimportant people running around causing problems (and causing my computer to lag) it's so loving annoying. I siege one castle and end up with 20 prisoners I have to sort through.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why are you sorting through your prisoners? There's a 'random all' button in the bottom, hit it and either mass release the rest, or ignore them as they rot.

Unless you want unmarried women or knights or some poo poo, but that's a good thing then.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

Why are you sorting through your prisoners? There's a 'random all' button in the bottom, hit it and either mass release the rest, or ignore them as they rot.

Unless you want unmarried women or knights or some poo poo, but that's a good thing then.

Ransom all works like poo poo, though. When you have multiple prisoners with the same liege, has you often do, it won’t ransom them all, only one. So you have to keep hitting that thing until all of them are ransomed

Also you often will get important prisoners you can’t ransom (or don’t want to) so is useful to sort through them anyway

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

Mass releasing craters your dread, if that’s a thing you care about. Mass executing can often lead to a massive stress boost too. If I had a button to do mass release but with a hook gained, then I’d be all over it. I really don’t know if demanding my prisoners convert even does anything worthwhile unless they happen to be a ruler.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So don't release them all then. Just press the ransom button every now and then, and let them rot. Why are you sorting through your prisoners?!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Most prisoners, in my experience, can’t be ransomed. Sometimes you actually come across useful prisoners that you want to recruit too, so sometimes checking them all out pays off. Im also trying to avoid racking up a hundred prisoners if I just let them all sit there, just a personal pet peeve.

I’m just mostly annoyed because I would like a button that is just mass release with a hook gained and then you can mass release with no downsides.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Or to be able to sort the list by skill (incl. Prowess)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Or to be able to sort the list by skill (incl. Prowess)

...but you can? I've used it to find executioners who are good at their job.

Edit: ok tested, not prowess, but otherwise it's fine. It's even got a filter!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 21, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Mass releasing craters your dread, if that’s a thing you care about. Mass executing can often lead to a massive stress boost too. If I had a button to do mass release but with a hook gained, then I’d be all over it. I really don’t know if demanding my prisoners convert even does anything worthwhile unless they happen to be a ruler.

…but most horribly of all: the mass execute no longer yields the cacophony of noises that, with enough prisoners, threatened to crash the game because it couldn't handle the overlap.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just want some extra buttons that let me release all with hooks, release all with religion change, and recruit all. And to not have the view change depending upon how many people are in it, I always want the line item view.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If anyone cares, the Warcraft total conversion mod has been fixed to 1) no longer crash every 5 minutes and 2) work with the most recent patch.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

If anyone cares, the Warcraft total conversion mod has been fixed to 1) no longer crash every 5 minutes and 2) work with the most recent patch.

I dunno, isn't telling stories in the Warcraft setting better suited for HOI4?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arbite posted:

Is there a war hammer mod for hoi4

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Is there a war hammer mod for hoi4

Yes there is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2268929619&searchtext=unification

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Arbite posted:

all the characters act like brats. No, this is perfect for CK.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So knight accolades are a thing. MAA modifier stacking may return to be a concern, based on what we're seeing here, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. It appears creating the accolades is limited to what types of traits your knights have, so you can't just say "I want a heavy cavalry-boost knight, let's make an accolade for that and search for a candidate" (and we're not even sure if there is an accolade to boost heavy cav, one thing they could do to try and keep it in check is restrict it to the lower base statistic regiments). In any case there seem to be other bonuses available besides MAA modifiers, and certainly trying to unite combat mechanics and character roleplay is a laudable goal. This one in particular is a DLC feature rather than a patch feature, it should also be noted.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's a pretty cool feature. I do like that once you create an accolade, the title sticks around even if there isn't anyone to fill it.

Doesn't look like heirs will keep their accolade titles when they inherit though, so I'm not sure how useful it will be to make your heir into an acclaimed knight.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah they say that land holders above Baron rank can't be acclaimed knights so I imagine they just lose the position if they inherit, and then you'd have to find someone else to fill it I expect.

I love that feature. Really gives a sense of like, Knights of the Round Table type deal, I can definitely see having a lot of fun with it.

Dang, only 16 days 'til launch!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

These past few dev diaries have been great. I can't wait to play CK3 with all the new toys. I don't know if I'll be as into it as the first time I ever played CK3 (which was my first CK game in general, which is why I think I was so enamored by it) but I am definitely excited for it.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I hope I can tie one of these titles to tournaments so I can effectively have a wrestling belt as a constituent component of my kingdom. 25-year tag team champions deserve special recognition in my retinue.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I kinda dislike and also like that since Renown is a thing, you're very incentivized to clean out vassal level titles of any house not in your dynasty. This also makes giving out King level titles something of a crapshoot because AI Kings will happily hand out Duchy level titles to any rando that happens by. Any time a King level titles takes a shot at the Emperor and misses, it's worth the extra tyranny and civil war to take away the King level titles, clean out the subordinate titles, and put your spare relatives in those slots and then make one of them the new new King of Vassallandia.

Also, it's always worth it to clean out your mayoral and baronet level titles when you die because inevitably they will fill up with auto-generated characters who loving hate your traits because of (insert reason here).

Additionally, this also makes getting witchy with it something of a pain because you need to get your new witch coven going before you absolutely tank your piety having dozens of bastards so you have people to hand random titles too. I made a coven out of a dynasty of 50 people by going full North Korea mode on my realm and murdering an enormous chunk of my dynasty to get the number low enough.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 1, 2023

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I made a coven out of a dynasty of 50 people by going full North Korea mode on my realm and murdering an enormous chunk of my dynasty to get the number low enough.

Creating a coven with a large house is the absolute worst. This took me multiple rulers to do:

e: looking at the legacies reminds me of that amazing bug that let you get unlimited renown from the Conquer the Med decision.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

binge crotching posted:

Creating a coven with a large house is the absolute worst. This took me multiple rulers to do:

You could always set up a heir from another cadet branch so they won't be house head when they inherit, letting you form a new cadet house with just you+immediate family, then form a witch coven for that house.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

binge crotching posted:

e: looking at the legacies reminds me of that amazing bug that let you get unlimited renown from the Conquer the Med decision.

lol I was gonna ask how you managed that one

e: VVV there was a bug a while ago that applied the renown gain modifier to every single living member of your dynasty. So if you were from a big dynasty (especially the rather ridiculous Lodbrok Extended Universe) suddenly you'd be making hundreds or thousands of Renown per month.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 1, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

How do you get unlimited renown from conquering the Mediterranean? I’ve done that multiple times and never end up with crazy renown.

This game it took me forever to get my coven set up. I was house Sigurder and I just hovered at 50-55% forever never keeping up with all the new people. Finally got there though after like 80 years of trying to convert people.

Had a funny set of circumstances where my lover saved me from a murder, but my lover was my former spouse I had divorced for constantly cheating on me. She was still in my court, and I guess she still loved me because she gave her life for me. I wasn’t even trying for that achievement, but I got it!

Dec 30, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I kinda dislike and also like that since Renown is a thing, you're very incentivized to clean out vassal level titles of any house not in your dynasty. This also makes giving out King level titles something of a crapshoot because AI Kings will happily hand out Duchy level titles to any rando that happens by. Any time a King level titles takes a shot at the Emperor and misses, it's worth the extra tyranny and civil war to take away the King level titles, clean out the subordinate titles, and put your spare relatives in those slots and then make one of them the new new King of Vassallandia.

It's not that big of a deal since you don't get renown from vassals. It's worth it to make sure that any king level titles go to dynasty members since you'll get renown from their royal courts, but duke and below the only real renown benefit is the chance that they'll marry their children off to a ruler outside of your realm.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

How do you get unlimited renown from conquering the Mediterranean? I’ve done that multiple times and never end up with crazy renown.

I think when the decision first became available it gave a scaling renown bonus based on Dynasty size (or something like that) that was uncapped. It's since been patched.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

IIRC it's because dynasty/house modifiers are just character modifiers that propagate to every member of a dynasty/house. Someone apparently forgot/didn't know this (and tbf I think it's a bit unintuitive at times) and put +monthly renown as a house modifier associated with the decision, so it gave monthly renown for every single character in the house when they probably only meant for it to apply once. It has since been changed into a more sane modifier that still applies to every character in the house but no longer gives monthly renown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Looking for some help on this one, and I'm willing to admit this might not be possible to do. I started as the Duke in Portucal, with the intention of forming Portugal. I ended the Struggle via Status Quo, which turns all these kingdoms into empires, and that automatically made me an emperor. In order to get the Form Portugal decision though, I need to be a duke. Is there any way to destroy or abandon my emperor and king titles to get back down to duke so I can get this decision? I guess I could try to piss everyone off and get a dissolution faction going, that's my only idea.