Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bumhead posted:

Do we have any indication yet how either Street Fighter 6 or Tekken 8 are going to run on the Deck yet? Any worry or reason to believe they’ll be too much to run decently?

Interested in both games but nobody needs a fighter running at anything less than a flat 60.
Had a friend the other night trying to run the SF6 beta through a Windows install on an SD card, since her arcade sticks wouldn’t work on regular Gaming Mode for some reason.

With those caveats, it ran like dogshit. Not sure about just running it regularly and not through Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steam Deck: Gabe you rat! How could you give your own customer the ol spicy Deck?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
im excited to buy my video game console/grenade this week

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The main fighting mode in SF6 seems to be a good 60 on Deck in low detail with a slight reduction in resolution, at least the fight in the demo. Loading's relatively quick too. The World Tour mode is much harder to run - you'll probably have to use the 'limit World Tour fights to 30fps' mode for that, but that's what you have to do on PS4 as well. That's just the single player mode though - all signs point to it being perfectly fine when you're playing the actual game. And if there are any problems, one of the main Steam Deck guys at Valve is a big Street Fighter fan so he'll definitely try his best to make it work.

I don't think Tekken 8 is going to have a PS4 version so that might be trickier, but it might still scale OK - there's going to be a Series S version so they're going to have to scale it down a decent amount for that.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

You don't even need low detail for 60fps solid with the SF6 demo once you turn on Warmup Shaders on Start or whatever it's called. It runs great on the deck.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Anyone else randomly get hosed up and static-y audio after unsuspending some games? I assume it's an issue with the suspend mode which they aren't actually designed for, but rebooting seems to be the only way to fix it. Really inconsistent when it hits.

The Decky plugin Pause Games apparently has a feature that helps with this.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

an iksar marauder posted:

What the gently caress
It's to burn your fingerprints off, ala MIB. That way you can go off the grid with your Deck. It's also handy for heating up MREs -- you know, because you're off the grid.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Vic posted:

The screen is 16:10 ratio and the common resolutions are 16:9 so you'll get thin black bars displaying those on the Deck. The image will be accurate just taking a bit less screen space. It's not a big deal.

Awesome, thanks!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If the touchpad solders your fingers to the touchpads, you never need to stop playing the Deck.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

jokes posted:

If the touchpad solders your fingers to the touchpads, you never need to stop playing the Deck.

become the deck

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Also the hotter the deck, the more intense the vent smell!

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Cowman posted:

become the deck

Long live the deck flesh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hopper posted:

Also the hotter the deck, the more intense the vent smell!

Good old Deck Cheese.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Was thinking about buying the 8bitdo ultimate with 2.4ghz dongle because bluetooth sucks balls and my xbox controller constantly drops out. Just need to make sure because I read a lot of conflicting things, these do work with the dock/dongle configuration, and with gyro enabled right?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How do I enable the handwarmer pad setting on mine? It's still so loving cold here...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, I've been having a Deck issue but have not had time to troubleshoot at all or even keep up with The Discourse (poo poo has been happening). I initially thought this was specifically a problem with Outer Wilds, but it is now happening with every game I play, every time I launch.

Essentially, whenever I launch a game (or anything else eg EmuDeck which isn't technically a game) I get stuck on the screen with the Steam logo and the blue circle around it, forever. If the game in question has menu music, I hear it, and if I hit the Steam menu button, I see the proper start menu for about half a second before the Steam menu appears, but the second I close THAT menu, it's back to the Steam logo screen. Essentially, in other words, the game is launching, but something about the Steam Deck's OS is blocking me from actually playing it.

A soft reset by holding down the Power button seems to resolve this issue, but I have to do that, like, every time I want to do anything, and restarting constantly gets old really fast. Is this a known issue, does it sound familiar to anyone?

I'm using Syncthing for emulator cloud-saves, and I have Decky installed (with the Controller Tools, Bluetooth, PowerTools, ProtonDB Badges, SteamGridDB, and vibrantDeck plugins) but other than that I don't think I'm doing anything too far out of the ordinary.

e: I'm on Stable too

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 1, 2023

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

So, I've been having a Deck issue but have not had time to troubleshoot at all or even keep up with The Discourse (poo poo has been happening). I initially thought this was specifically a problem with Outer Wilds, but it is now happening with every game I play, every time I launch.

Essentially, whenever I launch a game (or anything else eg EmuDeck which isn't technically a game) I get stuck on the screen with the Steam logo and the blue circle around it, forever. If the game in question has menu music, I hear it, and if I hit the Steam menu button, I see the proper start menu for about half a second before the Steam menu appears, but the second I close THAT menu, it's back to the Steam logo screen. Essentially, in other words, the game is launching, but something about the Steam Deck's OS is blocking me from actually playing it.

A soft reset by holding down the Power button seems to resolve this issue, but I have to do that, like, every time I want to do anything, and restarting constantly gets old really fast. Is this a known issue, does it sound familiar to anyone?

I'm using Syncthing for emulator cloud-saves, and I have Decky installed (with the Controller Tools, Bluetooth, PowerTools, ProtonDB Badges, SteamGridDB, and vibrantDeck plugins) but other than that I don't think I'm doing anything too far out of the ordinary.

e: I'm on Stable too

Are these games installed on an SD card?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is there any way to refresh the home page interface? I want to get my "latest updates" feed refreshed but I find that it never reloads unless I reboot the deck.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

pig labeled 3 posted:

Are these games installed on an SD card?

yup, many of them are

e: but the bug is happening for games that are installed on it as well as on the HD, just confirmed

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Gabe you rat! How could you give your own customer the ol spicy Deck?

Too long for new thread title?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chin Strap posted:

Is there any way to refresh the home page interface? I want to get my "latest updates" feed refreshed but I find that it never reloads unless I reboot the deck.

You can Switch to Desktop and back but rebooting is probably just as fast.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

yup, many of them are

e: but the bug is happening for games that are installed on it as well as on the HD, just confirmed

Based on some quick Googling it's either related to there not being enough free space on the HD, or that the compat folders are corrupted somehow - since these aren't removed when games are uninstalled, it can persist through a re-install of the game.

If it's the latter, people seem to suggest that a factory reset will solve it. In that case, move your installed games to the SD card first if you don't want to re-download them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are still 20GB available on the internal drive, which you'd think would be enough, but I'll try clearing up some space since I'm definitely not using all of it and I don't want to do a factory reset

e: Nope!!!! I might try enabling battery storage too based on this article but if that doesn't work I guess it's factory reset or nothin'

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 1, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do you all use a case or skin on your deck? What about a screen protector?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Hello goons, I would like to report that Best Puzzle Game Series Ever DROD works quite nicely on deck after some fiddling with controls. I made the right trackpad into a 8 direction numpad thingy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CLAM DOWN posted:

I raw dog it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I raw dog it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s the only portable thing I don’t have a screen protector on because when I’m not using it it lives in its case and if I drop it then a screen protector probably isn’t going to do much to save the rest of the device so :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Screen protectors don't protect against big damage, they protect against bullshit scratches from whatever the gently caress scratches all my devices. And by "protect" I mean it's extremely trivial to replace it, whereas if you get one distracting scratch on your actual screen, you're super hosed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm assuming the screen is like, gorilla glass or some poo poo, right? Like a phone? And screen protectors do affect touch sensitivity/accuracy a little.

I do kinda want to put a d-brand skin on mine though

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got a dumb skin literally just to stop myself from scratching up the plastic around the USB-C port.

I want a screen protector but it doesn't feel like there are any good options with the etched glass. I used to scoff at them years ago, but I've come around on screen protectors after realizing how many tiny barely perceptible scratches end up even on devices that hardly ever leave my house, like my iPad.

edit- I actually don't regret the skin, though. It's got a nice feel to it that actually makes the SD a little nicer to hold.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I got a 10€-for-two screen protector set from Amazon that came with a plastic framing tool to get it just right. After setting it up it's completely unnoticeable. It's cheap insurance against the kind of screen scratching dumb bullshit that is bound to happen like me accidentally dropping my keys on the thing when not paying attention or whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For those who have RMA'd a deck, do they actually fix it and send you your original back, or do they just ship out a new one?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jsaux soft skin and jsaux matte screen protector.

I have the 64gb deck so the screen protector both protects from scratches and reduces glare. Since I applied it roght after booting my deck once to see if it worked, I can't say how it affects the image quality but from what I see colours are great, brightness is great, no complaints.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Beve Stuscemi posted:

For those who have RMA'd a deck, do they actually fix it and send you your original back, or do they just ship out a new one?
Mine was brand new. Everything was (case, charger, etc.) The new case didn't have the little white strip thing to get the deck out easier.

Amfilm for the screen protector. Put it on my switch originally and didn't get it perfect in 3 tries, they sent me another 3 free. Awesome customer service.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 2, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SavageMessiah posted:

Hello goons, I would like to report that Best Puzzle Game Series Ever DROD works quite nicely on deck after some fiddling with controls. I made the right trackpad into a 8 direction numpad thingy.

What’s your control scheme? I tried but just couldn’t handle the diagonals with the setups I tried.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Jordan7hm posted:

What’s your control scheme? I tried but just couldn’t handle the diagonals with the setups I tried.

Right trackpad as a 3x3 grid menu for the movement, requiring a click to actually do the thing. Mouse on left trackpad. Swing on bumpers, wait, fight, undo, etc on face buttons. Esc and restart room on the start/select buttons. (are there actual names for those these days?) I also put movement on the left stick for times when you're just walking around and don't need precision. I started from one of the community layouts and then changed a lot of stuff.

I still misclick directions sometimes but undo solves that. I saw another community profile that put orthogonal movement on one stick and diagonal on another. Might try something like that if I get annoyed at the trackpad setup.

I've only played a little bit but it's working pretty well so far.

EDIT: I think misclicks for the directions would not be a thing if I could see the overlay for the menu but I think that requires the steam overlay to work in the game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm assuming the screen is like, gorilla glass or some poo poo, right? Like a phone?

No, it isn't any sort of high impact resistant glass.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Redfall runs pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274350/Dropsy/

Dropsy is $1 right now. This is a goon made adventure game by the way!