Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
oh? word?

i dont believe you.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/01/politics/bank-debt-crisis-default-what-matters/index.html

quote:

It’s time to worry about a US default. For real this time

quote:

Two converging crises are testing American confidence in their financial well-being.

There’s a banking crisis, which regulatory officials and big American banks very much want you to believe is ending after decisive action over the weekend to take over and swallow up another failing bank.

And there’s a debt crisis, which is becoming more urgent as the US approaches the “X-date” – when it would default – and on which opposing lawmakers aren’t currently talking to each other.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Monday the X-date could arrive as soon as June 1. But it has been a moving target.

President Joe Biden on Monday called the top four congressional leaders, including House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, to discuss raising the debt ceiling, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

First, on banks, action and agreement
Americans woke up Monday to news that a third US bank, First Republic, had failed. Having catered to wealthy coastal clients, First Republic had been on the edge of collapse since March, when two other regional banks failed.

First Republic Bank was taken over by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on Monday, and most of its assets were sold to JPMorgan Chase. The culmination of government regulators and the banking industry came together to protect creditors and maintain confidence in the banking system as a whole without exposing taxpayers to an unpopular bailout.

“Nobody is crying over First Republic Bank,” said Christine Romans, CNN’s chief business correspondent, during an appearance on “CNN This Morning.”

“But you don’t want chaos and turmoil to spread to the rest of the banking system,” she added, explaining the takeover.

The former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers, speaking to Bloomberg before the takeover, said it’s important to tamp down troubles in the banking system because they can easily spread.

“These things are like forest fires,” said Summers. “It is much easier to prevent them than it is to contain them after they start to spread.”

Praising the intervention, Biden tried to reassure Americans that the banking system was “safe and sound” during an appearance in Washington, DC, on Monday.

Maintaining confidence
None of that means this is a golden chapter for the American financial system. The failure of three banks this year suggests a hard look at how banks are overseen. And the Federal Reserve has lost some credibility among top economists.

“It remains to be seen whether the still-simmering financial turmoil triggered by SVB’s (Silicon Valley Bank) collapse will boil over into a deeper crisis, but investors and depositors have no reason to trust the Fed’s assurances that it will not,” Joseph Stiglitz, a Columbia University professor and Nobel laureate, wrote for MarketWatch. “Only meaningful reforms of deposit insurance, governance, regulatory structure and supervision can restore confidence in banks and the Fed’s credibility.”

In fact, the FDIC is advocating to raise the amount of deposits insured above the current $250,000 cap. Read more on that developing story.

Now, the debt crisis and the X-date
If only American lawmakers could take a cue from the First Republic saga and get into a room to solve the debt crisis.

Instead, Republican and Democratic lawmakers are still posturing even though the country is a month or so away from the X-date, when it begins defaulting on its debts.

What exactly would happen immediately after the X-date is not entirely clear, but it could lead to a crisis of confidence in the US government, making it more difficult to continue to finance Social Security and Medicare; threaten the value of the dollar, which has been a cornerstone of the world economy; and tip the country into a recession. Read more predictions here.

Not speaking
Rather than clearing their calendars to make sure the government can continue to write checks for all the debt it has already accrued, lawmakers are still in their partisan corners.

Last week, House Republicans made their opening bid in the negotiations by passing a bill to indiscriminately lop off billions in federal spending, revert to 2022 spending levels, undo anti-climate change spending championed by Democrats and impose new work requirements for Medicaid recipients. The bill, which is a nonstarter in the Senate, would also guarantee another debt debate this time next year.

This week, rather than hash things out, McCarthy is in Jerusalem, meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“The president still hasn’t talked to me,” McCarthy said, making clear he wants to negotiate with Biden.

Not a ‘deadbeat nation’
The White House, meanwhile, has argued there should be no negotiation over paying bills for debt sold to cover spending already authorized by Congress.

“America is not a deadbeat nation,” Biden said during that event in Washington, using the term associated with parents who fail to pay child support. “We have never ever failed to meet the debt. And as a result, one of the most respected nations of the world, we pay our bills and we should do so without reckless hostage taking from some of the MAGA Republicans in Congress.”

Worried about the debt debate, not the banks
I asked Justin Wolfers, a professor of economics and public policy at the University of Michigan, what separates the debt crisis from the banking crisis.

He told me over the phone he’s not at all worried about the money he has deposited in an American bank, arguing he has complete confidence in the FDIC to cover deposits, as it and banks have done for all three banks that failed this year.

He also pointed out the bank failures represent three relatively small institutions by US standards.

But he is extremely worried about the US defaulting on its debt.

“This generation of bank regulators learned from the mistakes of the Great Depression and the 2008 financial crisis,” Wolfers said, suggesting they have no qualms about stepping in early to maintain confidence in the financial system.

There is no similar confidence in the nation’s politicians to do the same.

“There’s a great fear that this generation of legislators are more irresponsible, more polarized and more willing to do damage than any previous generation,” he said.

We will, at some point in the very near future, get to the place where Biden and McCarthy, along with other top Democrats and Republicans, must come together to avoid a default or deal with the aftermath of its occurrence. The question is whether the economy is damaged in the meantime.

“I will tell you that I am more worried than I’ve ever been in my career, at this moment, about the sky actually falling,” Wolfers said, noting that in previous standoffs over the debt ceiling, Republicans have ultimately stood down in the face of pressure from more moderate wings of the party. It’s not clear that will happen this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Stereotype posted:

you have to buy a "genie pass" which gives you a maximum of like 10 or so fast passes, but should at minimum get you 3. the fast pass is just a different much much shorter line, usually less than five minutes, next to the main line which could be 200 minutes long. the idea is that you have an imaginary "genie" waiting in this line and you can physically go wait in other lines or do whatever while it waits, and then when it "gets to the front" you can go and take it's place and hop on the ride.

the two big tricks are that you can pick one super early in the morning before the park opens, and then once you scan your wristband to get on that ride you can immediately pick another one. you gotta be online and clickin' at 7am, and the good rides usually fill up fast so you will get offered a pass for like 4pm, and that's the trap. there' s a 2 hour timer every time you pick one, but it starts at 9am, so if you get one late in the day then you have to wait till 11am to pick your second ride. they'll all be pretty full by then, so then you probably have to wait till that timer expires again at 1pm for the third, and then by 3pm they're usually all totally full with no more passes left. so the key is to get up at 6am and be there when they open the park and be the first one on the one great ride you want to do (pandora or rise or ratatouille), which avoids possibly hours of lines for it, and then get a series of less popular rides in the morning, and then after lunch grab a high-tier ride for that evening. people seem to think that getting the passes for the 30 min wait rides is a waste, but it's not, because then you'll get another right away and why wait 30 minutes when you can wait zero minutes. like sure 30 minutes is way less than 200 minutes, but i could go on like 6 rides with "30 minute" waits in an hour.

people who only get to go on one ride probably didn't realize the amount of work they were supposed to be doing. if you wake up at 9am and aren't picking actually picking rides to fast-pass then yeah, you aren't gonna get to do much.

lmao yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE&t=3158s

this whole video is great, btw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s almost 2 hours long ??

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stereotype posted:

you have to buy a "genie pass" which gives you a maximum of like 10 or so fast passes, but should at minimum get you 3. the fast pass is just a different much much shorter line, usually less than five minutes, next to the main line which could be 200 minutes long. the idea is that you have an imaginary "genie" waiting in this line and you can physically go wait in other lines or do whatever while it waits, and then when it "gets to the front" you can go and take it's place and hop on the ride.

the two big tricks are that you can pick one super early in the morning before the park opens, and then once you scan your wristband to get on that ride you can immediately pick another one. you gotta be online and clickin' at 7am, and the good rides usually fill up fast so you will get offered a pass for like 4pm, and that's the trap. there' s a 2 hour timer every time you pick one, but it starts at 9am, so if you get one late in the day then you have to wait till 11am to pick your second ride. they'll all be pretty full by then, so then you probably have to wait till that timer expires again at 1pm for the third, and then by 3pm they're usually all totally full with no more passes left. so the key is to get up at 6am and be there when they open the park and be the first one on the one great ride you want to do (pandora or rise or ratatouille), which avoids possibly hours of lines for it, and then get a series of less popular rides in the morning, and then after lunch grab a high-tier ride for that evening. people seem to think that getting the passes for the 30 min wait rides is a waste, but it's not, because then you'll get another right away and why wait 30 minutes when you can wait zero minutes. like sure 30 minutes is way less than 200 minutes, but i could go on like 6 rides with "30 minute" waits in an hour.

people who only get to go on one ride probably didn't realize the amount of work they were supposed to be doing. if you wake up at 9am and aren't picking actually picking rides to fast-pass then yeah, you aren't gonna get to do much.

Is this prodromal schizophrenia?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius posted:

It's complicated.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

euphronius posted:

but its good! the video is timed stamped right before the worst disney adults explain how to game the system and how it ruined the parks for everyone else

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

euphronius posted:

You can watch it while you're in line for a ride.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

thats why you gotta buy the fastpass

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Xaris posted:

cut them some slack. i think they're from oklahoma or nebraska or some midwest shithole, in which case, that's understandable since they only have Sinclair Broadcasting piping Nextdoor dogshit into their brains 24/7 as the only source of news. americans are very dumb but it's really not their fault

Granted, but it takes a terminal level of cul-de-sac brain to give yourself the role of Batman’s parents in your mental picture of what you imagine a city to be. You’re just not that special! No one is going to be paying you that close of attention!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Stereotype posted:

Hi, I have four reactions:

1) gently caress you for making me know this

2) no, absolutely not

3) to the tune of "the Soviets built a pencil" meme: the Soviets built Ferris wheels in every city

4) thread title

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a.lo posted:

how do u rent forever

10 people to a room in the slum of your choice.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

just lmao at (1) trying to use the bank failures to juice panic over the debt limit; and (2) the media getting their marching orders to start amping up debt-limit anxiety.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

this near 2 hr feature film about queues in disney parks remains my 2nd favorite video on youtube

1st favorite is the secret base "what if barry bonds played without a baseball bat" one

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The best video on YouTube is whatever video the USCSB has just released

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
yep their stuff rules. wish they uploaded more than once a year

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

I think I’d rather stay home and get high. also within my budget

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

disney world? good god no, i go to busch gardens like an adult...

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Stereotype posted:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

lmfao that their interviewed expert is thread mascot Wolfers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/dhtoomey/status/1653157658222817290?t=s-5y8NPZQz_kF4xyCWJCAQ&s=19

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

disney world? good god no, i go to busch gardens like an adult...

Busch gardens is me in the yard drinking beer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The best video on YouTube is whatever video the USCSB has just released

drat this is sick

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stereotype posted:

no one would ever believe we willingly did this to ourselves as a species

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

the aliens haven't shown up yet because they're looking at disney world and thinking "oh gently caress, we need to hide from the psychopaths who did this to those poor bastards"

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTgLXl1qXI&t=49s

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
people will put up with all this bullshit for disneyland, but its too much for buses and trains and whatever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fits my needs posted:

people will put up with all this bullshit for disneyland, but its too much for buses and trains and whatever

what if we put the star tours robot at the front of the bus.... ? and hid the real bus driver. or made the real bus driver dress like the star tours robot? ??

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

fits my needs posted:

people can't wait to ride the disney monorail but they won't get on a loving bus lmao

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is this prodromal schizophrenia?

is this just fantasy?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

what if we put the star tours robot at the front of the bus.... ? and hid the real bus driver. or made the real bus driver dress like the star tours robot? ??
get with da times gramps, star tours hasnt been around since 2006. it's now c3p0's incredible star journey adventure with pals and friends

i bet u still think captain eo is a thing. NO! it's now the epic star wars greedo shot first cantina with 3d goggles

and oh boy gramps you're so olde you probably think the tiki room is a thing. it's the fab Moana presents undersea musical sing-a-long, i'm so golddd

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:33 on May 2, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This article is 2 weeks old but particularly newsworthy right now:

quote:

In America’s richest enclaves, word spread quickly: A bank was offering loans on sweet terms.

Wealthy homebuyers and property investors with high incomes and sterling credit scores could get a mortgage from First Republic Bank with a rock-bottom rate for several years. Better yet, they didn’t have to start repaying the principal for a decade.

Across Manhattan, the San Francisco Bay area and Southern California, those terms attracted legions of wealthy clients — including executives from other banks — as interest rates sank during the pandemic. The loans left borrowers with more cash to invest and spend than if they financed their properties with more conventional mortgages. Demand was so strong that it helped First Republic double its assets in four years, while deposits surged.

Now, it's all looking like a colossal mistake.

Among Wall Streeters, it was an open secret that the San Francisco-based lender was offering particularly attractive terms on mortgages. New York City property records from the past few years show customers came from all over the financial sector and included industry leaders such as Goldman Sachs Group Inc. President John Waldron, who took out an $11.2 million mortgage in June 2020, and R. Lawrence Roth, a board member at Oppenheimer Holdings Inc.

Another Goldman Sachs partner, a former executive at Blackstone Inc. and a managing director at private equity firm Sycamore Partners also borrowed millions from the bank, the property records show.

Beyond the finance industry, other examples of First Republic customers with seven-figure mortgages in New York include music mogul Todd Moscowitz, as well as an executive at a technology venture and the owner of a fine-art gallery, according to property records. All of their loans had 10-year interest-only periods and rates starting below 3%.

The firm’s annual reports show the business grew for years and then took off as interest rates bottomed out in 2020 and 2021. In that period, a Bloomberg News analysis of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act records shows that the bank made more than $19 billion in mortgages with interest-only payments in three metro areas alone: San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York. The debt also flowed in a big way to the Hamptons and the wine country north of San Francisco.

Last year, borrowers who opted for interest-only payments made $1 million a year on average, more than double the earnings of First Republic customers who opted for mortgages without that feature, the data show.

Interest-only mortgages made up a higher share of originations at First Republic than at any of its peers over the past half-decade, the analysis of HMDA data shows. By the start of this year, 59% of the bank’s loan book was comprised of single-family mortgages, and three-fifths of those — about $58 billion — were still in interest-only periods, according to the firm’s annual report. Principal payments on the vast majority don’t start until at least 2028.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Paradoxish posted:

people can't wait to ride the disney monorail but they won't get on a loving bus lmao

the bus only costs like $3 how could it be fun or magical

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

get with da times gramps, star tours hasnt been around since 2006. it's now c3p0's incredible star journey adventure with pals and friends

i bet u still think captain eo is a thing. NO! it's now the epic star wars greedo shot first cantina with 3d goggles

and oh boy gramps you're so olde you probably think the tiki room is a thing. it's the fab Moana presents undersea musical sing-a-long, i'm so golddd

its bullshit and star tours should come back

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's still at the CA one :shrug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
like a decade ago my friend used to get comps to disneyland so we'd go once a year or so. that was cool. they say theres no comps to be had now. sorrowful times.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

skooma512 posted:

It's still at the CA one :shrug:

wow very good news

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
as you know I keep all my cash in interest

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
jus watched the star tours ride film and it was just as epic as i remembered. it would be so badass to join my star wars friends wedge antilles & co to battle the death star along with the star tours robot and r2d2. when i was a little kid i wanted to be fighter pilot of course and also a dinosaur. but little did i know i'd grow up to be a little bitch with motion sickness, short, fail disease, and bad ear pressure problems due to judaism. oh well

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Stereotype posted:

This looks like nonsense to me, which is why I went with a Disney fanatic. He had a route through the whole park with times marked. I just followed him around like a Disney sherpa and we went on every ride. It was insanely crowded by mid-day and we had to hold each other's backpack straps to keep from getting pulled apart and lost in the crush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think if you're not ready to goofy hands through this derail this thread was never for you in the first place.