Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the point is you should always be consuming more. dis realized idle hands is no consumption, no bueno. c o n s u m e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

this is how we got COPS

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

skooma512 posted:

I mean, it's dystopic but also what you're doing at that point is standing in a virtual queue instead of a physical one so you can either ride/queue for something else or spend money at the shops. If you lean into the system and play it right you end up coming out ahead vs. like the 2000s where you just stand in line for 2 hours for space mountain and that's all you do for 2 hours.

thats 2 hours you could have been buying lightsabers or two hundred dollars in fancy drinks!!!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mr Hootington posted:

Thread title

A shameful selfquote.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
genuine question if the government defauts on june 1st will that get me out of jury duty thanks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
No

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

anime was right posted:

genuine question if the government defauts on june 1st will that get me out of jury duty thanks

Unless it's federal court, probably not.

If it is federal court lol, have fun at your new job as a juror those cases last for months.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
alright time to try plan b: talk about jury nullification

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

anime was right posted:

you made a cool thread on The Something Awful Forums, you're gonna be much better than the average juror. Just serve and try to get everyone to the best outcome. The alternative is weaseling out of it and letting some chucklefuck take your place and maybe gently caress up somebody's life.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

anime was right posted:

I did this last time and got instantly removed from the jury pool thanks YouTube

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

DrPossum posted:

this is how we got COPS

lol that was before we had chatGPT. writers are obsolete.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

Yup, you have to have a plan for your vacation time at Disney. No just winging it, you need to like schedule rides like appointments. I think you get like 3 or 4 free fast passes unless you upgrade the pass, but I haven't gone since 2018 and this poo poo always changes. I had an annual pass for a year since I'm a local and even within a year they were changing how this worked all the time, and since it was still when they were implementing the system there were metastrategies you could try and they didn't charge for it as much. Kinda wish they kept the fastpass kiosks since they spit out little tickets that had the ride name on it, fun little souvenir. I have a Big Thunder Mountain fastpass as a bookmark in Blood Meridian :v:

I mean, it's dystopic but also what you're doing at that point is standing in a virtual queue instead of a physical one so you can either ride/queue for something else or spend money at the shops. If you lean into the system and play it right you end up coming out ahead vs. like the 2000s where you just stand in line for 2 hours for space mountain and that's all you do for 2 hours.

you have to buy a "genie pass" which gives you a maximum of like 10 or so fast passes, but should at minimum get you 3. the fast pass is just a different much much shorter line, usually less than five minutes, next to the main line which could be 200 minutes long. the idea is that you have an imaginary "genie" waiting in this line and you can physically go wait in other lines or do whatever while it waits, and then when it "gets to the front" you can go and take it's place and hop on the ride.

the two big tricks are that you can pick one super early in the morning before the park opens, and then once you scan your wristband to get on that ride you can immediately pick another one. you gotta be online and clickin' at 7am, and the good rides usually fill up fast so you will get offered a pass for like 4pm, and that's the trap. there' s a 2 hour timer every time you pick one, but it starts at 9am, so if you get one late in the day then you have to wait till 11am to pick your second ride. they'll all be pretty full by then, so then you probably have to wait till that timer expires again at 1pm for the third, and then by 3pm they're usually all totally full with no more passes left. so the key is to get up at 6am and be there when they open the park and be the first one on the one great ride you want to do (pandora or rise or ratatouille), which avoids possibly hours of lines for it, and then get a series of less popular rides in the morning, and then after lunch grab a high-tier ride for that evening. people seem to think that getting the passes for the 30 min wait rides is a waste, but it's not, because then you'll get another right away and why wait 30 minutes when you can wait zero minutes. like sure 30 minutes is way less than 200 minutes, but i could go on like 6 rides with "30 minute" waits in an hour.

people who only get to go on one ride probably didn't realize the amount of work they were supposed to be doing. if you wake up at 9am and aren't picking actually picking rides to fast-pass then yeah, you aren't gonna get to do much.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the entire time i was at disney i kept thinking "this place must be absolutely awful to bring children to"

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Stereotype posted:

the two big tricks are that you can pick one super early in the morning before the park opens, and then once you scan your wristband to get on that ride you can immediately pick another one. you gotta be online and clickin' at 7am, and the good rides usually fill up fast so you will get offered a pass for like 4pm, and that's the trap. there' s a 2 hour timer every time you pick one, but it starts at 9am, so if you get one late in the day then you have to wait till 11am to pick your second ride. they'll all be pretty full by then, so then you probably have to wait till that timer expires again at 1pm for the third, and then by 3pm they're usually all totally full with no more passes left. so the key is to get up at 6am and be there when they open the park and be the first one on the one great ride you want to do (pandora or rise or ratatouille), which avoids possibly hours of lines for it, and then get a series of less popular rides in the morning, and then after lunch grab a high-tier ride for that evening. people seem to think that getting the passes for the 30 min wait rides is a waste, but it's not, because then you'll get another right away and why wait 30 minutes when you can wait zero minutes. like sure 30 minutes is way less than 200 minutes, but i could go on like 6 rides with "30 minute" waits in an hour.

no. good lord no.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
sounds exhausting lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think I’d rather stay home and get high. also within my budget

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

tristeham posted:

sounds exhausting lol

yea imma opt for the Express Pass that lets me go "nah, not interested" and not do any of that poo poo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

even in that ideal system you are getting up at 6 am to go on maybe 4 rides in a whole day

you're already flying to orlando just go to the beach or something its much cheaper

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
like I said, it is an exhausting job to visit Disney world. it’s like burning man except for white suburbanites who think Kraft mayonnaise needs a less spicy version

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Stereotype posted:

you have to buy a "genie pass" which gives you a maximum of like 10 or so fast passes, but should at minimum get you 3. the fast pass is just a different much much shorter line, usually less than five minutes, next to the main line which could be 200 minutes long. the idea is that you have an imaginary "genie" waiting in this line and you can physically go wait in other lines or do whatever while it waits, and then when it "gets to the front" you can go and take it's place and hop on the ride.

people who only get to go on one ride probably didn't realize the amount of work they were supposed to be doing. if you wake up at 9am and aren't picking actually picking rides to fast-pass then yeah, you aren't gonna get to do much.

at universal we just got in the single rider line when it was applicable and skipped the wait, that seems hella complicated. got to ride the wicked sick velocicoaster about 15 times while i was there due to this 1 neat trick

to be fair, the only ride with a real significant wait time was the Hagrid Motorcycle coaster which was not worth the wait.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Universal is great because all the rubes go to wait 90 minutes for the terrible harry potter rides so you can run through the 5 minute men in black line over and over and shoot aliens for hours

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Universal is great because all the rubes go to wait 90 minutes for the terrible harry potter rides so you can run through the 5 minute men in black line over and over and shoot aliens for hours

! YES my partner had never been to a theme park (one of the big reasons we went to universal was it was relatively inexpensive compared to the other ones and also the simpsons) but all the short wait rides (pretty much everything save harry potter junk) were dope. It was really cool to ride the simpsons ride before it went away forever.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

As I a kid we always went during the off season. Non stop rides and no lines. Although one time Disneyland actually had lines in the off season because of a goth convention nearby. Disneyland full of goths!

line to the haunted mansion would have sucked, but its a small world would be empty at least.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
So loving glad my kid doesn't give a poo poo about Disney.

We go to some comparably B and C level parks in the north east and have a good time instead of that hell of ride planning that was described.

Last year we went to Lancaster, PA. My wife was enamored by her stupid YouTube influencers to visit the Dutch Wonderland amusement park. It alone wasnt worth the trip, but the Cartoon Network hotel is basically the future of vacations in the US for any corporation who wants to target the modern working class.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Consummate Professional posted:

I think I’d rather stay home and get high. also within my budget

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
tell me more about the Dutch wonderland park

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I had a way better time at Universal as a kid but that was also when the Jurassic Park ride was fresh, the tram tour still had Kong and T2 3D was still there. Seems like most of the rides now are glorified 3D movie motion simulators.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

I can see doing this if I really have to. Like a post apocalyptic torture maze i need to solve to win my freedom. Not paying car money to wait in line outside of 10 kinds of applebees

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Stereotype posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

cool av posted:

lol that was before we had chatGPT. writers are obsolete.

Let's see it write the simpsons

Write an episode of The Simpsons where Homer tries to write an episode of The Simpsons posted:

Homer Simpson sat at his desk, staring at the blank piece of paper in front of him. He had always dreamed of writing an episode of The Simpsons, but he had never actually tried it before.

"Come on, Homer," he muttered to himself. "You can do this. Just think of a funny idea and run with it."

He picked up his pen and began to brainstorm. After a few minutes, he had a rough outline:

Act 1: Homer gets a wild hair to write an episode of The Simpsons.

Act 2: Homer starts writing, but quickly gets stuck and frustrated.

Act 3: Marge and the kids try to help Homer with his writing, but their suggestions only make things worse.

Act 4: Homer has a breakthrough and comes up with a brilliant idea for the episode.

Act 5: Homer's script is a huge success and he becomes the pride of Springfield.

Homer grinned to himself, feeling confident in his idea. He began to write the script, typing away furiously on his computer.

As he wrote, he started to get more and more into the story. He laughed out loud at his own jokes and was having a great time.

But as the hours ticked by, Homer began to hit a wall. He stared at the screen, trying to come up with the next line, but nothing was coming to him.

"I can't do this," he moaned, throwing his hands up in frustration. "I'm just not cut out to be a writer."

Just then, Marge and the kids walked into the room. "What's going on, Homer?" Marge asked.

"I'm trying to write an episode of The Simpsons, but I'm just not good enough," Homer replied dejectedly.

"Oh, come on now, Homer," Marge said. "You can do this. Let us help you."

The kids nodded in agreement, and together, they sat down to brainstorm ideas for the script. They threw out all sorts of wild ideas, but nothing seemed to click.

Just when they were about to give up, Bart had a brilliant idea. "What if Homer accidentally becomes a superhero and saves Springfield from a giant monster?" he suggested.

Homer's eyes lit up. "That's it!" he exclaimed. "I can work with that."

With renewed enthusiasm, Homer sat down to write the script. And with the help of his family, he was able to finish it in record time.

The next day, he submitted it to the producers of The Simpsons, and to his delight, they loved it. The episode was a huge hit, and Homer became the talk of Springfield.

From then on, Homer was known as the town's resident writing genius, and he continued to pen many more successful episodes of The Simpsons.
Better than anything they've done in over a decade

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Business Gorillas posted:

I was gonna do a trip to the PNW and the endless HOMELESSCRIMEWAVE stories are scaring my girlfriend. Are SF/Portland/Seattle worth going to or should we just hike in the parks instead?

you should not be allowed to ask this without also revealing what hosed up little Levittown you’re posting from that has turned you into such a goober, imo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

DrPossum posted:

this is how we got COPS

cops is spoc backwards

fascinating

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

man I really hope they make a ReadGPT to speed all this up a bit

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

holefoods posted:

I had a way better time at Universal as a kid but that was also when the Jurassic Park ride was fresh, the tram tour still had Kong and T2 3D was still there. Seems like most of the rides now are glorified 3D movie motion simulators.

these suck so much but it's good for capital because you just need to park a portable trailer house somewhere and wrap a skin on it and call it a brand new ride. no need for operators and maintenance!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

HookedOnChthonics posted:

you should not be allowed to ask this without also revealing what hosed up little Levittown you’re posting from that has turned you into such a goober, imo
cut them some slack. i think they're from oklahoma or nebraska or some midwest shithole, in which case, that's understandable since they only have Sinclair Broadcasting piping Nextdoor dogshit into their brains 24/7 as the only source of news. americans are very dumb but it's really not their fault

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

As I a kid we always went during the off season. Non stop rides and no lines. Although one time Disneyland actually had lines in the off season because of a goth convention nearby. Disneyland full of goths!

this was our family "trick" as well. also go on a day it was planned to drizzle. easy rides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol