Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slorb
May 14, 2002
I don't think I would have ever voted for the Labor party but before this bullshit I wasn't actively hoping the party would collapse at the next election.

Terminal centrist boomer landlord brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jim Chalmers posted:

The third one is that no government can satisfy all of the calls for more spending in the budget even from people and from groups whose views we welcome and respect.

YOU KNOW JIM, I HAVE A loving IDEA WHERE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO RUSTLE UP A LITTLE MORE CASH.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

YOU KNOW JIM, I HAVE A loving IDEA WHERE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO RUSTLE UP A LITTLE MORE CASH.

is the answer ensuring that student debt is repaid and claiming back welfare overpayments?

that's the answer isn't it

and reducing spending on the ndis
spending too much on that ndis i hear

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

a lot of anger directed toward the government itt

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Animal Friend posted:

a lot of anger directed toward the government itt

This is what happens when you have hopes that are not met.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

i would simply elect a better one, not waste time with negativity

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

is the answer ensuring that student debt is repaid

Funnily enough the cost of raising the rate over 10 years is almost exactly the same as the amount of outstanding HECS debt (75 and 74 billion respectively. This is just an interesting observation, I'm not suggesting it's either possible or desirable to claw back all outstanding student debt over that timeframe.)

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

G-Spot Run posted:

i would never have predicted labor would set their next under 30 campaign strategy to 'gently caress you, vote green' but here we are

The thing is, this is probably the politically smart instinct. Anyone switching their vote away from Labor over this is not going to the Liberals, so there's ultimately nothing lost as long as the preferences flow correctly. Over 55s are more likely to switch, so you keep them happy with this move. Your younger base might never be satisfied, but they will always ultimately be in your corner, barring some conversion to right-wing politics.

The decision itself is gutless and pathetic, but if I'm being honest, could we have expected anything else? They only need to be slightly better than the Liberals, that's been the policy of every centre-left party in the last thirty years. I know that's defeatist, but I just can't expect Labor to do much. Here's hoping they start bleeding more support to the Greens, I suppose.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Interest rates going up because reserve bank says inflation is too high and housing prices are still rising too much.

Very smart government: let's give rich people a bunch more disposable income!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
lmao centre left

people lol about the grn primary vote but the fact is the nats have far less and it's all about voter concentration. labor gonna keep shedding inner city seats to grn just like lib have lost to teal and shrugging 'oh well but at least we have ~ * ~ preference flows ~ * ~ ' like that loving means anything when you lose incumbency

i for one welcome our new activist overlords

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Animal Friend posted:

Pfft! How about trying to drop out of the right vagina for once, dunce.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Animal Friend posted:

please stop taking jobs from jbp when the welfare rate is at an all time low its inhumane

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Cartoon posted:

Pfft! How about trying to drop out of the right vagina for once, dunce.

right vagina, wrong grid

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
bottleshop got a perfect score in the nominations for the qha awards for 2023. heres hoping we can take the prize from the place owned by the same mob that I buy roast beef rolls at my lawn mowing job in 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can we just start spitting on Labor politicians

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Sydney DJ says he was manhandled by security guards and thrown out of a pub in the city’s south after his set because he was wearing a hat, describing it as an interaction that would not happen anywhere else in the world.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sierra Madre posted:

The thing is, this is probably the politically smart instinct. Anyone switching their vote away from Labor over this is not going to the Liberals, so there's ultimately nothing lost as long as the preferences flow correctly. Over 55s are more likely to switch, so you keep them happy with this move. Your younger base might never be satisfied, but they will always ultimately be in your corner, barring some conversion to right-wing politics.

The decision itself is gutless and pathetic, but if I'm being honest, could we have expected anything else? They only need to be slightly better than the Liberals, that's been the policy of every centre-left party in the last thirty years. I know that's defeatist, but I just can't expect Labor to do much. Here's hoping they start bleeding more support to the Greens, I suppose.

It's politically smart till enough people vote greens and they start getting elected.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A Sydney DJ says he was manhandled by security guards and thrown out of a pub in the city’s south after his set because he was wearing a hat, describing it as an interaction that would not happen anywhere else in the world.

There's got to be more to the story to that?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NPR Journalizard posted:

It's politically smart till enough people vote greens and they start getting elected.

It took one election for the rich people's climate club to get more reps seats than the greens have achieved in thirty years. If a teal/climate200 senate ticket rolls out next election they'll pulverise the greens' senate numbers.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Except they won't, because the entire premise of the Teals/Climate200 was "these Liberals are bad, but Labor want to redistribute the wealth that we've worked so hard to strip-mine back to the working class, and that's just not on and we won't ever vote for them".

Except they're going to spend this entire term of government proving otherwise, while offering up the same "action on climate change as long as it doesn't affect my shares" virtue signalling measures the Teals wanted. They may still manage to gently caress it up, and the blue ribbon voters may still refuse to abandon their decades-long campaign against the practically communist Labor party - but even chance that business and big money will back them in, to push the greens/teals out. Also if history counts for anything, the teal movement will collapse now the libs are electorally unviable, and the ALP are clearly not behaving like a radical leftist mob hell bent on taxing the rich to give free solar panels to arts students.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

It took one election for the rich people's climate club to get more reps seats than the greens have achieved in thirty years. If a teal/climate200 senate ticket rolls out next election they'll pulverise the greens' senate numbers.

Lol this is the classic labor masturbation fantasy we were looking for,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Lol this is the classic labor masturbation fantasy we were looking for,

Why is this a fantasy for Labor? The Teals and climate 200 are the direct competitor to the greens. It seems like hubris to just disregard them taking 7 seats in one election when the greens haven't achieved the same, despite being in politics since the early 90s.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

JBP posted:

Why is this a fantasy for Labor? The Teals and climate 200 are the direct competitor to the greens. It seems like hubris to just disregard them taking 7 seats in one election when the greens haven't achieved the same, despite being in politics since the early 90s.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

?

I don't think libs are coming back. The greens will probs get 4 more reps next election, but I wonder if climate 200 will run a senate ticket or abandon the "independent" teal label since they over performed last time. I think teals can get 2-3 more in the reps additionally to the greens, so it will be interesting to see which group Labor team with on each but of legislation. You'd expect teals, but Pocock is a massive pain in the arse for them and loves "small business" lobbies. If the teals get senate seats the greens might be ignorable on some leg.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

The hat said "gently caress security", probably a poor choice

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

quote:

A Sydney DJ

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who stopped?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All my local and federal members share one office, so I could probably go down there and spit on all 3 at the same time (we're on a border of two electorates)

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When a Labor government implements policy targeting at risk populations I don't like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

When a Labor government implements policy targeting at risk populations I don't like.

:jerkbag:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think the greens should rebrand.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hambeet posted:

They should.

e: to the 'you'd vote for us on policy if you saw them without knowing who said it' party.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

As if whatever name they chose wouldn't be equally if not more so dragged through the mud by our dogshit press. Hell, people think the LNP are good economic managers in spite of *waves hands*.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apparently the ALP just announced "the first budget surplus in 15 years", so look forward to the media churning out editorials about how "budget surpluses are bad, actually" (they are, but that's not the point)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Don Dongington posted:

Apparently the ALP just announced "the first budget surplus in 15 years", so look forward to the media churning out editorials about how "budget surpluses are bad, actually" (they are, but that's not the point)

It's Wafer Thin!.1 Billion dollars does not count apparently.

Or about 5000 houses that we need and will not get.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Don Dongington posted:

I hope to loving god this isn't true (announcing a budget surplus). I. loving. Hope.

Heart what do you say...?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Comstar posted:

It's Wafer Thin!.1 Billion dollars does not count apparently.

Or about 5000 houses that we need and will not get.

I don't think it is wafer thin as much as it is well within measurement error (!0.16% of the budget, immaterial from a budgeting point of view).

Also, you ain't supplying 5k houses for a billion haha

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 4, 2023

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh my god the Vic lnp are full of terrorists.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Eediot Jedi posted:

Oh my god the Vic lnp are full of terrorists.

digging out the old fridge magnet to report hambeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Former Opposition Leader Matthew Guy has attacked "terrorists" he says are undermining his successor, John Pesutto.