Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sokani posted:

The majority of the public doesn't give a poo poo.

That's also true. Everything about Wall Street and the way it works is so labyrinthine that few average people even understand it, probably in part by design so that the corruption can continue without any pesky oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Buy the dip!!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
our $60k base models that require a subscription to operate in the rain aren’t being gobbled up by consumers help

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

To save you time from reading an overlong twitter thread the answer to "why" is because they're dogshit

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1653408767545942019

A base Wrangler, which has a canvas roof and is a garbage car in general, starts at over $30000 now. Then they have that monstrosity that costs S-class/7 series money, which is basically the Canyonero joke from the Simpsons manifest.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Beached Whale posted:

To save you time from reading an overlong twitter thread the answer to "why" is because they're dogshit

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1653408767545942019

Yeah Stellantis has been trying to push Jeep as a quasi-luxo brand w prices to match and people aren't really falling for it to the degree they would have hoped

loving Chrysler lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The_Franz posted:

A base Wrangler, which has a canvas roof and is a garbage car in general, starts at over $30000 now. Then they have that monstrosity that costs S-class/7 series money, which is basically the Canyonero joke from the Simpsons manifest.
The base wrangler also has rwd, so it's totally worthless in ice or offroad (the ostensible reason for Wranglers existing). It's like the most useless vehicle anyone could conceive of.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

draw in a trend line on each and lol this was coming without covid.

lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

love that advert of the big SUV where the guy manages to park outside the cafe to meet his friends, which is itself the same size as his huge car

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1653426140504104960

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
trading has been halted for numerous banks today: Pacwest, Metropolitan, Western Alliance, etc. after share prices dove 24-40% in one hour

contagion is now ripping through the banking sector. I also have concerns about USB

sure feels like Spring of 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The_Franz posted:

that's what I don't get, you can buy yourself an actual nice car for what these fuckin heaps go for

around 2010 I worked with a guy who spent $$$$$$ for a Silverado with the performance package. It was three years old and every button on the dashboard rattled when he drove over a bump.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

thread title

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah Stellantis has been trying to push Jeep as a quasi-luxo brand w prices to match and people aren't really falling for it to the degree they would have hoped

loving Chrysler lol

But it’s not just Chrysler/Jeep. There has been data showing that Ford and Chevy (and GMC) trucks are sitting on the dealership lots for an extended period of time as well. One video I saw showed a 75 day supply of 2022! Ford trucks and a 150ish day supply of 2023 trucks.

That is a lot of trucks languishing on dealership lots. The video even goes into some details why with some examples. Like some dealerships are still trying to get dealer markup over MSRP, while trying to show that they are offering price drops.

But in the end, the domestic manufacturers investing heavily into Bromaster Profit Editions may not have been good for their bottom line if they can no longer get anyone in the door of the dealership to take out a second mortgage payment for transport.

Recent video with examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Ep4snnnY8

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

that's what I don't get, you can buy yourself an actual nice car for what these fuckin heaps go for

around 2010 I worked with a guy who spent $$$$$$ for a Silverado with the performance package. It was three years old and every button on the dashboard rattled when he drove over a bump.

People don't want nice cars and your average driver legitimately could not identify what makes a car "nice" or "high quality." I've gotten completely blank looks from people when I point out lovely plastic trim or rattles or any of the other million little things that make a car an obvious piece of poo poo. Even when people do recognize these things, the urge to buy something bigger and more expensive than your neighbor is still overpowering.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Orvin posted:

But it’s not just Chrysler/Jeep. There has been data showing that Ford and Chevy (and GMC) trucks are sitting on the dealership lots for an extended period of time as well. One video I saw showed a 75 day supply of 2022! Ford trucks and a 150ish day supply of 2023 trucks.

That is a lot of trucks languishing on dealership lots. The video even goes into some details why with some examples. Like some dealerships are still trying to get dealer markup over MSRP, while trying to show that they are offering price drops.

But in the end, the domestic manufacturers investing heavily into Bromaster Profit Editions may not have been good for their bottom line if they can no longer get anyone in the door of the dealership to take out a second mortgage payment for transport.

Recent video with examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Ep4snnnY8

oops its 2007 AGAIN

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

err posted:

trading has been halted for numerous banks today: Pacwest, Metropolitan, Western Alliance, etc. after share prices dove 24-40% in one hour

contagion is now ripping through the banking sector. I also have concerns about USB

sure feels like Spring of 2008

lol all it takes for capitalism to collapse is removing endless free money from the central bank

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

People don't want nice cars and your average driver legitimately could not identify what makes a car "nice" or "high quality." I've gotten completely blank looks from people when I point out lovely plastic trim or rattles or any of the other million little things that make a car an obvious piece of poo poo. Even when people do recognize these things, the urge to buy something bigger and more expensive than your neighbor is still overpowering.

At least my wife realized this about herself and was upfront about it. I was chatting with a car guy friend at a gathering, and he called something an appliance on wheels. My wife was “Yup, that is exactly what I want. An appliance that gets me from point A to point B that I have to put zero thought into”. At least she was accurate in that regards, we have a Honda minivan for hauling kids around, and you can’t much get more zero thought appliance than that.

I bet most people are like that, but don’t want to admit it. They are clueless and/or oblivious about their vehicle. But they have bought into all the marketing, so they simply must have X, regardless of how expensive or impractical.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

your average driver legitimately could not identify what makes a car "nice" or "high quality."

yo

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

this guy eats sheet cake everyday

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The last time I sat in Ford truck at an auto show, a really expensive "supreme ranch overlord" or whatever, when you closed the doors, the whole cab shook quite significantly. You could feel the vibrations coursing through your body. Contrast that with manufacturers who actually spend time fine-tuning the 'thud' sound that the doors make when they close, because having the whole vehicle shake when closing the door normally would be wholly unacceptable.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Orvin posted:

I bet most people are like that, but don’t want to admit it. They are clueless and/or oblivious about their vehicle. But they have bought into all the marketing, so they simply must have X, regardless of how expensive or impractical.

That's literally it. Most people don't give a poo poo about their car and shouldn't give a poo poo about their car because caring about cars is objectively bad, but it turns out that gap just got filled with insane marketing about owning the biggest thing on the block.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
vroom vroom car go

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

The_Franz posted:

It really is absolutely insane how much they're asking for the things. I had a 2015? Compass as a body shop loaner for a couple of months, very grim car that really did nothing particularly well but it probably didn't cost much more than $20k (n.b CAD) new, so whatever, I can see it, you buy it and it does some stupid Chrysler poo poo after a few years (this one made it at least 8 as essentially a rental car that noone gives a poo poo about, probably done in another year or two) but fundamentally you can almost certainly get your money's worth out of it.

The equivalent spec today is listed at $41090. You think some school secretary or whatever is going to spend $40k on that?

Yeah other manufacturers are having issues, now, but modern Jeeps are in another league. They're basically the one thing that you could actually go to a dealership and drive away with for the last two years - there was always supply, because people just do not want them for what they're trying to charge.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nonsense posted:

this guy eats sheet cake everyday

He is 100 years old and richer than most everyone. He can do whatever he wants.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Orvin posted:

Bromaster Profit Edition

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

He is 100 years old and richer than most everyone. He can do whatever he wants.

Exactly! also it is very soft and pliable in his mouth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe the prices are too high ?

maybe chart demand vs price as two lines

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

Reuters saying the quiet part out loud again: that the unemployment rate ought to be higher than the job openings rate

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1653407859537846272

3m is doing their part!

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1653424897673117698

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Stating the commercial real estate is hosed is bordering on Captain Obvious territory at this point

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

forkboy84 posted:

Looking forward to more banks failing today, Inshallah

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

kazmeyer posted:

I can't wait until all these companies start implementing AI hardcore without realizing you still need humans to ride herd on the loving thing to catch the obvious mistakes. The fuckups are going to be glorious.

google has been doing this internally and yes it's going to be amazing

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
isn't charlie munger the dude who designed that "ideal" student dorm for a california college that looked weirdly like a prison complex?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m watching a CLE on ai and the expert is constantly repeating that AI is merely a tool that needs constant oversight, auditing and it’s not magic.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

isn't charlie munger the dude who designed that "ideal" student dorm for a california college that looked weirdly like a prison complex?
Yes. No windows. Windows are for closers only.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nothus posted:

Stating the commercial real estate is hosed is bordering on Captain Obvious territory at this point

Yes, all the people in this thread know this truth. But have the high priests of number spoken this truth aloud to the gathered masses yet? That might be a turning point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Post the WARN chart!
From the 27th of April. Higher than '08

Bonus live tracker of the coming layoffs.
https://twitter.com/WARNTracker?t=zppyBbcS5y9R_xbyLIlOfQ&s=09

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Zodium posted:

google has been doing this internally and yes it's going to be amazing

google is currently somehow managing to make every aspect of their ad business worse by doing this and it's crazy

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

euphronius posted:

I’m watching a CLE on ai and the expert is constantly repeating that AI is merely a tool that needs constant oversight, auditing and it’s not magic.

no constant oversight! No auditing! it’s magic!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Number go down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

euphronius posted:

it is definitely not magic, needs constant oversight and auditing, and isn't anything close to the multipurpose tool it's being actively implemented as.

And yeah, the fuckups will be tremendous. Though many of them may never be revealed as such, because the very idea of process auditing colossal fuckups that could make executive decisions look bad ex post is only tolerated in environments where it is legally required (for now).