Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is Nvidia game stream already dead? I know they were planning on discontinuing it sometime. I updated my driver's (and this the GeForce experience) today and my computer now only shows offline in moonlight. Starting fresh, moonlight can't find the PC on the local network anymore.

Edit: looks like it was a couple weeks ago and I just should have not installed the update!

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ever since the last firmware update my untitled goose suspend animation doesn’t play if I’m running a game when I put the deck to sleep :honk:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

PageMaster posted:

Is Nvidia game stream already dead? I know they were planning on discontinuing it sometime. I updated my driver's (and this the GeForce experience) today and my computer now only shows offline in moonlight. Starting fresh, moonlight can't find the PC on the local network anymore.

Edit: looks like it was a couple weeks ago and I just should have not installed the update!

It is, use this instead:
https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Been on a Battle Brothers binge after discovering it 5 years later, and turns out this too works out perfectly on deck. Default controls use the right trackpad for mouse, a/b/x/y are mapped to some of the main hotkeys, left trackpad is mapped like a d-pad for 1/2/3/4 which you use for your actions in combat (faster than having to click on the icon), and left stick is wasd, moving the map around. All I had to add to the default was mapping one of the back buttons to alt, in order to be able to do alt+rightclick to flag stash equipment for repairs. Note that settings are not covered by cloud saves, so stuff like post-battle auto-loot needs to be manually activated on deck the first time.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 2, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274350/Dropsy/

Dropsy is $1 right now. This is a goon made adventure game by the way!

thanks!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

FishMcCool posted:

Been on a Battle Brothers binge after discovering it 5 years later, and turns out this too works out perfectly on deck. Default controls use the right trackpad for mouse, a/b/x/y are mapped to some of the main hotkeys, left trackpad is mapped like a d-pad for 1/2/3/4 which you use for your actions in combat (faster than having to click on the icon), and left stick is wasd, moving the map around. All I had to add to the default was mapping one of the back buttons to alt, in order to be able to do alt+rightclick to flag stash equipment for repairs. Note that settings are not covered by cloud saves, so stuff like post-battle auto-loot needs to be manually activated on deck the first time.

Yep. It's shocking how good the SD's input options are. I've been binging Battle Brothers a ton, and it's kind of mind boggling to jump between that and something that uses entirely console-style controls all on the same handheld device without missing a beat.

Also been playing a decent amount of Desktop Dungeons: Rewind which also works great with its default settings of the left stick controlling the camera and the right trackpad as a mouse.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wish Starsector had gamepad support, it would be the perfect Deck game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

I got a 10€-for-two screen protector set from Amazon that came with a plastic framing tool to get it just right. After setting it up it's completely unnoticeable. It's cheap insurance against the kind of screen scratching dumb bullshit that is bound to happen like me accidentally dropping my keys on the thing when not paying attention or whatever.

This is me.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I gave my Switch a little scratch once because I fell asleep on the couch while holding it up, and it landed right on my hoodie's zipper :saddowns:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
For those interested I just shared my DROD control scheme as "DROD for goons". It's just under Gunthro right now, probably won't be playing 2nd sky anytime soon.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks! Lot more involved setup than gamestream, but works just fine, if maybe a LITTLE bit more of input delay for now. Interestingly gamestream popped up a pin when I was setting up Sunshine and I thought I got lucky somehow but that just crashed my app, so I'm glad this works!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wheres the emulating zelda convo happening, i havent bothered to setup yuzu before but i may as well

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

wheres the emulating zelda convo happening, i havent bothered to setup yuzu before but i may as well

Absolutely no way it runs at anything approaching playable on steam deck.

BOTW only works because people are playing the Wii U version instead.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SavageMessiah posted:

For those interested I just shared my DROD control scheme as "DROD for goons". It's just under Gunthro right now, probably won't be playing 2nd sky anytime soon.

Thanks! Will try it out when I get home

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
ordered my Deck today. thank you, thread, for your guidance. I cant wait to play Pokemon Emerald!

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

you might be very surprised

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

People are totally playing the Switch version of BotW on Deck.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doesn't Switch BOTW run at 60FPS on the Deck?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s cool how quickly poo poo devolves to piracy talk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

Doesn't Switch BOTW run at 60FPS on the Deck?

Not even close

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think Yuzu(?) actually got it close to 60 but it was still on the paid only early access branches as of a month or so ago, last I saw anyone post about it on the subreddit. anyways it doesn’t matter because if you’re asking about switch emulation you’re not actually dumping your poo poo to legally play whatever games you own so go search for that poo poo elsewhere.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who cares unless they’re asking for links

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it is cool, yeah

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Piracy owns wtf you loser nerd.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hell yeah brother

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Piracy owns.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

No no, Wind Waker was the one with the pirates.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The best version of Breath of the Wild is on CEMU, you're really getting an inferior experience playing it natively on the Switch. How Tears of the Kingdom will play on Switch emulation is something we don't know yet. Breath of the Wild never really did well on Switch emulation, so I am not getting my hopes up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

No no, Wind Waker was the one with the pirates.

One of the bad ones too

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"Piracy owns" is a funny almost oxymoronic phrase and I'm gonna start saying it a lot. Right now, for example,

Piracy, and doing piracy, is cool and owns

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s honestly really funny a goon thought going full hall monitor was going to work

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It was funny how steam was probably one of the biggest reasons to piracy slowing down, at least for me, making buying games convenient and you can always just redownload your stuff. And the sales, especially in the early days. It just made it easier to buy stuff than to pirate it in a lot of cases.

Just make buying poo poo lower effort and boom.

Piracy is still cool tho

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah my main thing about being so hugely into Steam is that it meant the games were:

1) auto-updated
2) cloud saves
3) I could download/reinstall them whenever I wanted, super easily
Distant 4) modding is stupid easy via Workshop

These are all things that really only Steam could do and are very valuable services for me as a consumer-- so much so, I don't even pirate games really. As a developer, I'm sure there's a ton of value in Steam's 30% cut.

Epic Games came along and wanted to fragment 2, 3 meant I had to have multiple logins, and I don't know anything about modding Epic Games... games because I don't play it.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 2, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

It was funny how steam was probably one of the biggest reasons to piracy slowing down, at least for me, making buying games convenient and you can always just redownload your stuff. And the sales, especially in the early days. It just made it easier to buy stuff than to pirate it in a lot of cases.

Just make buying poo poo lower effort and boom.

Piracy is still cool tho

Same with GOG for DOS abandonware. I picked up a ton of stuff from there that I used to source from the high seas, just because they made it possible, affordable and convenient to go down the legal route.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah it’s a similar thing to how netflix was the streaming service so you just subbed to that, now that it is getting fragmented pirating movies and shows makes more sense than signing up for a buttload of services. Not quite a clean comparison because the streaming is more of an all you can watch and the different game storefronts are just regular stores, but the introduction of more friction in the process may mean people are more likely to :filez: their stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Steam diminished my piracy habit by like 90% and the other 10% was killed off by games launching so loving broken and patching so regularly that it’s easier to just buy it and let the storefront launcher fix things than it is to janitor a pirate copy and keep up with all the manual patching and cracking and patching and cracking and oh my god fine just take my £50 and give me the game

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
How trivial is getting my Pokemon Emerald .sav file off the Deck without loving around with SD cards or Retroarch?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A lot of modern internet capitalism is just annoying people until they do the thing and give you money.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Im packing up my Switch to for a move next month and I only did it because I figured the new game would be better off on Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

wizard2 posted:

How trivial is getting my Pokemon Emerald .sav file off the Deck without loving around with SD cards or Retroarch?

Upload it to Dropbox or something or send it to yourself over your network

If you don’t want to sign up for anything or gently caress around setting anything up just go to file.io in a browser and upload it there then download it again on your computer