Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Also O’Brien says he’s putting them right in the middle of town, and this is clearly the outskirts.

Would have been funny if he had placed them in the middle of town, but failed to take the crater into account. We watch the away team materialise 100 storeys above the new ground level (And watch at least one of them go splat if it were Nu Trek).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Are we 100% the town isn't actually a tiny town for ant's and they are in the middle of it -and sort of standing on it, and that creator just unrelated?

Also yeah, seems like a transport officer has a lot of control to be jerks to people they don't like. Say always transporting them half a foot of the ground or always transporting their socks half a meter away from their feet every time.

People should really of been much nicer to O’Brien.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Are we 100% the town isn't actually a tiny town for ant's and they are in the middle of it -and sort of standing on it, and that creator just unrelated?

Also yeah, seems like a transport officer has a lot of control to be jerks to people they don't like. Say always transporting them half a foot of the ground or always transporting their socks half a meter away from their feet every time.

People should really of been much nicer to O’Brien.

Piss off Miles and you may end up like this:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That kind of thing was prevented by the Hesajerk compensators

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Would have been funny if he had placed them in the middle of town, but failed to take the crater into account. We watch the away team materialise 100 storeys above the new ground level (And watch at least one of them go splat if it were Nu Trek).

This is a thing in World of Warcraft. There's a portal that mages can make that teleports whoever clicks on it to the city of Dalaran. But Dalaran got up and flew to other places so there's just a crater left.

This has been happening for well over a decade now and people will still click on mage portals without checking the destination and then start falling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Terralevin?

Oh man, now I want an LDS episode where they have to go visit the Terratins again.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 2, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CainFortea posted:

This is a thing in World of Warcraft. There's a portal that mages can make that teleports whoever clicks on it to the city of Dalaran. But Dalaran got up and flew to other places so there's just a crater left.

This has been happening for well over a decade now and people will still click on mage portals without checking the destination and then start falling.

The other part of this is that mages have slowfall so they don’t die when they take that portal, and for half the player base (Alliance) it’s a useful teleport to a part of the world that’s otherwise hard to access quickly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wonder if the writers strike is going to tank the retooling of the final season of Discovery since they just recently went back into production to give it closure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, the next session of STO's trailer is out and they were clearly all like WE UPGRADED THE MODEL OF THE drat ENTERPRISE-F FOR PICARD AND THEY BARELY SHOWED IT SO gently caress IT WE MAY AS WELL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ta7K2dR54

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm kinda amused how salty the STO people are over the treatment of the Enterprise-F in Picard.

How delusional do you have to be to think that a corporation would make a hero ship (and potential anchor of a new series) out of a design resultant from a contest for a video game 12 years ago? The legalities involved in even showing it onscreen at all were probably bad enough.

It had its cameo as a nod to the game and has now been shoved into the same drawer as the Enterprise B and C, likely never being explored again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Like all things I think the outrage has been somewhat exaggerated by the internet.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Eighties ZomCom posted:

First they'd stay in the air, then they look down, do a triple take, start kicking their legs, and finally fall down with a whistling noise that ends in a poof

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Like all things I think the outrage has been somewhat exaggerated by the internet.

Also it's driven by gamers, so of course it's going to be loud and obnoxious. That said, I can see where they might have a bit of a case, considering how prominently the Enterprise-F was featured in the early trailers for Picard, leading some people to expect that it would play a decent role in the plot of the season, and then it's on screen for 15 seconds and we don't even get to see or hear if it was destroyed or not because of creative cowardice and/or mismanagement.

So I can see why a group of people for whom that was their Enterprise for over a decade now would be upset of it's "mistreatment" by what's otherwise considered canon, doubly so because the Enterprise-G looks like poo poo compared it the F and was made so that one guy could leave his DNA marks all over Trek canon for all time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Miles goes from unnamed redshirt helmsman in Farpoint to unnamed transporter lieutenant in s2, is finally named as Chief O'Brien in the episode where the transporter can cure oldness, and since that he's been absolutely iconic, chilling with Riker in 10 forward, pretending to look the other way during a questionable mission, playing cello in a quartet with Data, attending Worf's pain sticking, I did not recall him being around this much, it's great.

Do you know how baller you have to be to have William T. Riker, first officer of the USS Enterprise, look at your non-commissioned rear end and say "lets just you and me go get drunk in the ships bar"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

So Miles goes from unnamed redshirt helmsman in Farpoint to unnamed transporter lieutenant in s2, is finally named as Chief O'Brien in the episode where the transporter can cure oldness, and since that he's been absolutely iconic, chilling with Riker in 10 forward, pretending to look the other way during a questionable mission, playing cello in a quartet with Data, attending Worf's pain sticking, I did not recall him being around this much, it's great.

Do you know how baller you have to be to have William T. Riker, first officer of the USS Enterprise, look at your non-commissioned rear end and say "lets just you and me go get drunk in the ships bar"

Doesn't Stewart literally just call him "Colm" in Farpoint because they didn't have a name for his character yet? I seem to recall him saying "Colm" a few times, but you could probably just rationalize it as Picard calling O'Brien "Conn", because that was his role on the bridge at the time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
He says "Conn" because Patrick Stewart would pronounce it "Collum" correctly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He does spend all of s2 waltzing around with two Lt pips, despite being finally identified as starfleet's only other enlisted person, besides the empty pip teacher of Troi's weirdo space baby.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

He does spend all of s2 waltzing around with two Lt pips, despite being finally identified as starfleet's only other enlisted person, besides the empty pip teacher of Troi's weirdo space baby.

They could always retcon it so that for the TNG-era uniforms, the enlisted insignia were confusing and awful, let's say distinguished only by the pips being a slightly more bronze tint, so NCOs were frequently mistaken for officers at first glance. Have Mariner make a joke about how at least now they don't have to worry about accidentally taking orders from a warrant officer like happened to her mom once, and boom, O'Brien's rank-insignia situation is (at least mostly) neatly fixed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh it's not even worth handwaving, I was just offended when Riker had the audacity to imply that Chief O'brien didn't work for a living.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

They could always retcon it so that for the TNG-era uniforms, the enlisted insignia were confusing and awful, let's say distinguished only by the pips being a slightly more bronze tint, so NCOs were frequently mistaken for officers at first glance. Have Mariner make a joke about how at least now they don't have to worry about accidentally taking orders from a warrant officer like happened to her mom once, and boom, O'Brien's rank-insignia situation is (at least mostly) neatly fixed.

A vulcan designed the pips based on logical first principles and forgot humans are blind in the UV range.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real issue is that he's the only enlisted guy in Starfleet. I choose to believe that during the Cardassian war, Starfleet was short exactly one guy, so they did a random selection and guess who got it?

It's not even like he doesn't have all the qualifications to be an officer, he's in charge of people and he's pretty smart in general, including a lot more abstract thought and nuance than some officers.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

He says "Conn" because Patrick Stewart would pronounce it "Collum" correctly

That's how you pronounce it? I've been saying it like "comb" for years :ughh:

Remember when Tom Riker tried to pass as Will and almost blew his mission because he was a dick to O'Brien?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I only learned it because I thought Greatest Generation was doing a bit and looked it up :unsmith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nine-gear crow posted:

Also it's driven by gamers, so of course it's going to be loud and obnoxious. That said, I can see where they might have a bit of a case, considering how prominently the Enterprise-F was featured in the early trailers for Picard, leading some people to expect that it would play a decent role in the plot of the season, and then it's on screen for 15 seconds and we don't even get to see or hear if it was destroyed or not because of creative cowardice and/or mismanagement.

So I can see why a group of people for whom that was their Enterprise for over a decade now would be upset of it's "mistreatment" by what's otherwise considered canon, doubly so because the Enterprise-G looks like poo poo compared it the F and was made so that one guy could leave his DNA marks all over Trek canon for all time.

I don't really recall the F being all that prominent in the trailers. They flashed it sure, but there was never anything hinting that it would be a significant part of the story. It was outright said from the start that most of the season would be on the Titan-A.

Whether or not it was destroyed was irrelevant to the story since it was already established earlier in the season that it was getting decommissioned after the celebration. I've criticized the writing of the season plenty for a lot of reasons, but wasting screen time dealing with the aftermath of the Enterprise-F, a ship that no one in the series had any connection to whatsoever, wouldn't be the correct choice at all.

I would say that given that ship was the result of a contest that was held 6 years before the franchise started making TV again, it was LUCKY they were able to sort the rights enough to show it on screen at all.

Honestly, the Constitution III class grew on me a lot during the course of the season. My biggest issue with it is that we get the impression that it's easily outclassed which goes against the idea of it being the flagship of the fleet. It's unclear what the current flagship class of the fleet is though. By that point, the Odyssey class would have been 20ish years old and given the pace of Starfleet tech advancement, that's apparently a dinosaur now. Starfleet seems to have gown down the rabbit hole of specialization instead of generalization in the 25th century with 500 different ship classes each with a specific role.

I was actually annoyed about how much they kept calling the Galaxy class ancient. It's only like 35 years old at that point! They were still running the Excelsior class 80+ years! Granted, the D being mothballed meant that it wasn't undergoing regular refits and tech upgrades, but the Galaxy class was meant to be a century lasting spaceframe and there are apparently none left in service.

On some level I think the Ross class should have been the Enterprise-G since it tracks so well with the Galaxy class, but there were probably the same issues in using a game derived class in the show as a hero ship.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 2, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

davidspackage posted:

Remember when Tom Riker tried to pass as Will and almost blew his mission because he was a dick to O'Brien?

See, I always took that as an improvisation on Tom's part to avoid getting drawn into a discussion about old times with O'Brien, which he wouldn't be able to convincingly pull off.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Powered Descent posted:

See, I always took that as an improvisation on Tom's part to avoid getting drawn into a discussion about old times with O'Brien, which he wouldn't be able to convincingly pull off.

I think it was an improvisation, but it could have blown the mission because O'Brien would be like "yeah that's really loving weird I'm gonna talk to Sisko real quick"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FISHMANPET posted:

I think it was an improvisation, but it could have blown the mission because O'Brien would be like "yeah that's really loving weird I'm gonna talk to Sisko real quick"

Better that than getting into a conversation where he didn't know any of the details.

Being a dick to someone you haven't seen for awhile for no reason throws them off and makes them doubt themselves. It doesn't immediately raise suspicion because your feelings are hurt and you are searching for the reason that you just MUST have buried deep down or was some miscommunication.

Tom being chummy and then getting every detail wrong about their shared experiences would setoff the alarms far quicker. That would make O'Brien doubt Tom and not himself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Or even "I wonder what I did to piss him off, I'll call Commander LaForge and ask if he knows"

Geordi: "What are you talking about, Commander Riker is on the bridge right now?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile, Tom scratches his head at these 12+ unread messages from Keiko.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Man that is a bland line reading. I thought it was an AI voice at first.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Knormal posted:

If you're going to have a different actor read the intro text, you should really just have them do it in their own way, not try to match the intonation of Stewart, it just highlights how they're not as good.

The music sounds really bad too. Like someone reproducing the theme with a Casio keyboard.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I wish O'Brien hadn't given up the cello, they should have just had him occasionally celloing it up on DS9

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Did TNG ever really treat him as an enlisted man? Like, he was "Cheif" in that he was Transporter Cheif which was a role, not a rank. I think he was even called lieutenant early on. It was really DS9 that decided to say Cheif was his rank and that actually he was enlisted, and really explore that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

davidspackage posted:

That's how you pronounce it? I've been saying it like "comb" for years :ughh:

Like gollum with a C

FISHMANPET posted:

Did TNG ever really treat him as an enlisted man? Like, he was "Cheif" in that he was Transporter Cheif which was a role, not a rank. I think he was even called lieutenant early on. It was really DS9 that decided to say Cheif was his rank and that actually he was enlisted, and really explore that.

No actor in ST has brought more of an enlisted vibe to a role than Colm Meany. That man is a chief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5qi3IooOVI

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Browsing Memory Alpha, he was a "Senior Chief Petty Officer" when Worf's adopted dad visited the ship, to give the two of them a way to relate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

Sounds like a job for ElevenLabs Patrick Stewart!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Simon Tarses was also enlisted, but he lied about being a Romulan, so gently caress him

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Simon Tarses was also enlisted, but he lied about being a Romulan, so gently caress him

Man, it really sucks to be Romulans in Starfleet, if you lie about your heritage, you get court-martial, and if you're open about it they send you out to some seedy bar in downtown LA one night and you just loving disappear before the sun rises.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also smh at the biological essentialism that Picard displays towards the Mintakans when he describes this bronze age Vulcan offshoot (how the gently caress does that even happen) as having a predisposition towards rational thought. Vulcans actually have rather the opposite predisposition that's why Surak's teachings are such a triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

O'Brien became a full B-character in TNG when the writers decided to start writing stories about married life in a starship and didn't get permission to get anyone on the A-list married. I might be wrong, and no doubt will be corrected here, but the original plan IIRC was to get Riker married between seasons or something similar to that.