Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
For what it's worth, DMC did spend the last decade forming two different rap-metal bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLz7brQrvE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cwgmmt-gw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zedd posted:

Anyway glancing over the website I also saw another name/channel I was vaguely familiar with called Heelvsbabyface.
I always assumed that would mostly be a Wrestling channel now considering the name but a quick glance over their youtube and those certainly where some titles.
"Antifa-Man and the Commiemania" about Ant-Man 3 is almost impressive though considering what a wet fart of a movie it is to get upset about ill give them that.
Honestly it keeps being surprising how many of these edgelords are out there.

That dude flips his poo poo over everything so it seems appropriate that his entire persona is apparently built around him being a 300 pound 40 year old baby. Just constantly crying into his lovely diaper that LGBT+ people exist and it makes him so mad he wants his soother.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I don't think long videos are inherently bad, but they need to have enough substance to justify their length. I don't really feel like Quinton's videos have that content.

Also a bit late to the reply, but the reason MauLer and his idiot friends' podcast is called "EFAPs" is because it's an acronym of "Every Frame a Pause", a take off on the much better YouTube film analysis series "Every Frame a Painting" and also a "hilarious" and "self aware" joke about how they only watch a few seconds of any given video before pausing and babbling amongst themselves. That's the thing that really gets me about MauLer and his cronies' is that they respond to videos in 5-6 second chunks without having watched them first and don't seem to understand why that's a terrible way to engage with videos. Media analysis via Dunning-Krueger.

I also remember when the Twiter thread of Jenny discovering their 11 hour stream responding to her video a bunch of their fans kept responding to people pointing out how ridiculous that length was with "Ummm, Ackshually it's a PODCAST!" as though podcast episodes are normally almost half a day long?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
it's fascinating to me that every time people complain about Quinton reviews existing, we get the same 1 page derail about whether jayexci is one of the good ones (turns out: still a huge chud!)

I'm not obsessive enough to find out if it's the same person every time, but I feel like it isn't?

fake edit: I know it hasn't been literally every time, but I've read this same conversation about her happen at least 3 times, always as part of the Quinton meltdown. this is the first time we've gotten numerical proof of how much she sucks, so shoutout Zedd! truly the OP we deserve

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

egg tats posted:

it's fascinating to me that every time people complain about Quinton reviews existing, we get the same 1 page derail about whether jayexci is one of the good ones (turns out: still a huge chud!)

I'm not obsessive enough to find out if it's the same person every time, but I feel like it isn't?

fake edit: I know it hasn't been literally every time, but I've read this same conversation about her happen at least 3 times, always as part of the Quinton meltdown. this is the first time we've gotten numerical proof of how much she sucks, so shoutout Zedd! truly the OP we deserve

This thread has both a painfully short memory and an immense capacity for self-delusion so there will always be at least one person in this thread who will make the shocked Pikachu face whenever it's pointed out that Jay Exci is a huge chud who hangs around with vile people who use her as a shield to deflect criticism of their bigotries and she's totally cool with being their shield.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

TheMightyBoops posted:

Anyone know any cool music documentary YouTubers I’ve maybe missed?

I really like the KJ Oasis documentary; I wish there were more videos that go that into depth for other Creation records bands.

I’ve like a lot of the Trash Theory docs, specially the one the on The KLF they did recently was fascinating. Especially because it ends with mentioning that they finally like released all their music for the first time in 20 years or so on the web:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWn3QygKFwo

Bandsplaining: https://www.youtube.com/@Bandsplaining/videos

I can recommend "What Happens To Bands During War" and "The Meltdown of Russia's Music Scene" but there's a ton of good poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEcDgW4IF80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSgEW9LFFw8

Tinbah On Toast made a few videos on music. Specifically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLlVVKRwk0

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

This thread has both a painfully short memory and an immense capacity for self-delusion so there will always be at least one person in this thread who will make the shocked Pikachu face whenever it's pointed out that Jay Exci is a huge chud who hangs around with vile people who use her as a shield to deflect criticism of their bigotries and she's totally cool with being their shield.

I mean you won't know about most of this unless you are/were hopelessly on twitter or you pay for the search function- like even people who are actively black sheep, say Peter Coffin, you wouldn't know anything if you just casually watch their videos sometimes, you'd have to catch the ones where they're being weird. I think most people consider it embarassing to look up "[youtuber name] controversy" or something, on top of "well they have good politics overall so they couldn't be friends with NazixFurry7654xxx".

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Pachylad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBgiQJXTbpI

In the midst of talk about 5 (30???) hour ramblings, here's a merocfully half-hour Trainwreckords from TITS.

I love how checked out DMC is in the music videos. dude would rather be literally anywhere else in the world

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kunster posted:

And yes that was the background noise for a bunch of work I did.

What were you working on?

Dawgstar posted:

Does MauLer possess any sort of qualification that could lead anyone to think that yes, their criticism should be taken to heart?

He makes really long videos where he pauses to rapid fire "rebuttals" to whatever prompted him to pause what he was watching. It's one of those "stopped clock is right twice per day" things where statistically he says something "correct" just because he firing off all his thoughts into the void and sometimes one hits a mark. This makes him a brilliant man with many deep insights if you've got the emotional attachment to listen to him for 12 hours on the regular.

nine-gear crow posted:

Why do you talk like a Final Fantasy mid-boss who wants to flatten the planet about this thread at the drop of a hat?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
duhn duhn duhn nine gear crow!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Why do you talk like a Final Fantasy mid-boss who wants to flatten the planet about this thread at the drop of a hat?

Which dumbfuck admin thought you were somehow mod material? :confused:

E: Oh you mod PYF, so your inevitable mod meltdown is going to be legendary :munch:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 2, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My background audio is last podcast on the left

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

nine-gear crow posted:

E: Oh you mod PYF, so your inevitable mod meltdown is going to be legendary :munch:

?????? what the hell is your problem lol. this was completely unprompted

e: like, you got a light roast abt posting like a dweeb.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

yessss let's go

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
:yeshaha:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

fight fight fight fight fight

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

mald! mald! mald! mald!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

I was given an IK star without any notice to watch one thread, then they asked me if I wanted to have it upgraded to a blue star as a kinda backup in PYF but mostly to watch the report queue for one thread.

I don't plan on melting down, but I do have an out prepared if I feel the mod brain creep in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNlxZzpX6U

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

I mean you won't know about most of this unless you are/were hopelessly on twitter or you pay for the search function- like even people who are actively black sheep, say Peter Coffin, you wouldn't know anything if you just casually watch their videos sometimes, you'd have to catch the ones where they're being weird. I think most people consider it embarassing to look up "[youtuber name] controversy" or something, on top of "well they have good politics overall so they couldn't be friends with NazixFurry7654xxx".

I don't check every single youtube person's friends list and I question the value of making people publicly denounce every problematic figure they're tangentially connected to, but just from this thread this person just seems like your typical "I'm trans but I don't get OFFENDED or TRIGGERED by nothingburgers unlike Gen Z trans" grifter :shrug:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Jay makes no mention of any of their associations with mauler or that podcast they're on. Their videos don't just contain no hints that they hold regressive or reactionary views, and instead often times openly say the opposite. One of the key sections of the Dr. Who video is a dissection of the episode where the doctor is a huge fan of Space Amazon, and how the episode just breezes over all of the exploitation shown and described to tell a story about why systems aren't the problem. While showing a system being inherently a problem because of tying people's well being to labor that the company no longer needs to use. They made a video about one of the famous "SJWs are ruining everything" people, No Bullshit, back when they were still famous that totally eviscerated the dude, contributing to their downfall into self-parody. Watching their stuff, you'd see a progressive, left leaning dude talking about why some shows work real well and other shows don't work at all.

It's deeply disappointing that they hang out with Mauler, and I can't understand why. It's easy to assume that they clearly have to actually agree with him about politics, but that doesn't have to be the case. While the podcast era has commodified "hanging around with your stupid friends and watching something," it still can be fun to hang around your dumb friends with eye-rolling beliefs that they just don't talk about because they don't think much about them. The problem is that Mauler's one of those guys who's entire persona is wrapped around his bigotry and the reactionary worldview it comes from. Which is explicitly exclusionary and makes Jay a problem that the world has rather than just a person living in it. I can't imagine that's fun to be around. It's not watching a movie with a bunch of guys you know, including the one dude who will sometimes try and explain to everyone that girls can see more colors because they evolved to pick berries until you start to tell him how eyes work and he shuts up, it's hanging out with a group of guys who can't stop talking about why this movie sucks cause of gay people. Who then look at you and go "well, not you though, you're cool." They even specifically make fun of people like Mauler. Right there. Cause they got a bunch of 'only CUCKS don't like this show cause they're too TRIGGERED' comments.

No matter what though it's silly to assume that everyone knows all the drama and associations that people have. Especially when they don't really bring them up in their own stuff.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 2, 2023

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ve watched a few of her videos including the Doctor Who one and there was no indication she was moonlighting doing 11-hour bullshit sessions on someone else’s channel. I would never have known about that without reading this thread.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm more then willing to judge a creator on their content and not their outside relationships because they are not my friend and that is not my business.

I don't care that they socially hang out with dogbrains, just their own stated beliefs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, nice. He's like that racist Warhammer content creator who despite being from Norway tried to affect a British accent (poorly) and Discord logs showed he was so racist and antisemetic that while he used to be called 'Arch Warhammer' Games Workshop C&D'd him to drop 'Warhammer' from his handle.

As irritating as I find Games Workshop I did appreciate them putting their foot down and telling the nazis to gently caress off.

Also for a long time I kept getting mistaken for Arch when gaming because my handle is pretty close to his (Despite Arc Hammer being a Star Wars lift and not 40K), so I'm glad that he's dropped off.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

been wathcing some youtube videos lately. is jit just me or is everyone a chud nazi alt right kekistan. getting so tired of watching videos and then driving myself insane googling them for 12 hours :smith: loving hell world :smith:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

nine-gear crow posted:

Most of this stuff just isn't important enough to commit to memory. I'm probably going to forget who this person is by tomorrow.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i havent read any of the posts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched the posts

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
This thread has forgotten its true purpose of agreeing why my list of favs is sorta like a modern Jacobin club and why your favs are bougie and cringe.

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost
Breaking: Local Crow Always Gets Little Rush Out Of Telling People Hbomberguy Beat His Wife

mycot posted:

I don't check every single youtube person's friends list and I question the value of making people publicly denounce every problematic figure they're tangentially connected to, but just from this thread this person just seems like your typical "I'm trans but I don't get OFFENDED or TRIGGERED by nothingburgers unlike Gen Z trans" grifter :shrug:

I don't go there anymore but I used to be obsessed with leftist youtuber drama/in discords for personalities and I have had good experiences and still talk to people from there but its like very easy to let it warp your brain lol. They're youtubers and poo poo, mock them and move on if they annoy you/are reprehensible.

Edit: To be clear, I think its worth being aware of this stuff and bringing it up Within Reason and I've been joining in on mocking like Mauler here, but don't be weird about it or make posting enemies out of this stuff. Its such low stakes 90% of the time.

KittenJucerSupreme fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 2, 2023

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

What were you working on?

Research on Graphene wafer production + art side job. Earlier had a lot of quiet time, so that was the background noise while i tinkered with documentation and coding for it. The latter was weekend commission work for beer money, and I can somewhat do the inking and coloring that with my brain shut down.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Breaking: Local Crow Always Gets Little Rush Out Of Telling People Hbomberguy Beat His Wife

Dagoth Ur talking about "the dogs of the Empire" but he means the Something Awful Internet Personality Thread.

I don't go there anymore but I used to be obsessed with leftist youtuber drama/in discords for personalities and I have had good experiences and still talk to people from there its like very easy to let it warp your brain lol. They're youtubers and poo poo, mock them and move on if they annoy you/are reprehensible.

Edit: To be clear, I think its worth being aware of this stuff and bringing it up Within Reason and I've been joining in on mocking like Mauler here, but don't be weird about it or make posting enemies out of this stuff. Its such low stakes 90% of the time.

On one hand, it's all really low-stakes and stupid, but on the other I can see a peculiar charm in becoming Literally Jokerfied by a youtuber: blaming them for the time you fell into an unstable mixture of chemicals and emerged as an insane mutant. I don't have the energy to swear eternal enmity on an urban legend or assemble a coterie of highly themed goons, but the scifi gadgets and elaborate schemes seem like they'd be fun.

Kunster posted:

Research on Graphene wafer production + art side job. Earlier had a lot of quiet time, so that was the background noise while i tinkered with documentation and coding for it. The latter was weekend commission work for beer money, and I can somewhat do the inking and coloring that with my brain shut down.

I don't know what Graphene is but when I was doing a lot of house painting I put some Quinton stuff on. The Fred video was definitely not more interesting than watching paint dry, but the iCarly one was at least passable, so I do understand the impulse.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nine-gear crow posted:

wwhat the :eyepop:

between this and the insane "that quinton guys reviews are the equivalent of exploitative true crime videos"(????????) take (which for the record you can dislike but lmao at actually equating the two), is there something in the air today??

Stux posted:

been wathcing some youtube videos lately. is jit just me or is everyone a chud nazi alt right kekistan. getting so tired of watching videos and then driving myself insane googling them for 12 hours :smith: loving hell world :smith:

lol

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know what Graphene is but when I was doing a lot of house painting I put some Quinton stuff on. The Fred video was definitely not more interesting than watching paint dry, but the iCarly one was at least passable, so I do understand the impulse.

Yeah I wanted something light hearted and long and old 50's sitcom talk fit the bill.

Graphene is like, if you grabbed a chunk of pencil graphite and squeezed that into a single layer. Crazy stuff was predicted about it's properties in the 40's and for like several decades people have been treating it as a future wonder material for nearly anything. The crazy stuff is indeed real, but in order to get it to do the crazy stuff, you need a lot of refinement on it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
who wants to watch a 7 and a half hour vid on Hey Arnold?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRn2t6hvadE

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

Booky posted:

between this and the insane "that quinton guys reviews are the equivalent of exploitative true crime videos"(????????) take (which for the record you can dislike but lmao at actually equating the two), is there something in the air today??

*in the Majora's Mask font* 29 Days Of Meltdown May Remain

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Stux posted:

Honestly I really don't feel the need to do that at all. In my experience if someone is a genuinely horrible bigoted freak then it tends to come through pretty quickly in their content, if not as explicit bigotry then at least in terms of being unpleasant and unenjoyable to watch. So if I like someone I'll watch their stuff, and if it later comes out that they suck somehow I'll stop watching. As long as you keep them at arm's length as you should with any internet stranger it will be a mild and very temporary bummer and you'll have completely forgotten about them like a week later.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ariong posted:

Honestly I really don't feel the need to do that at all. In my experience if someone is a genuinely horrible bigoted freak then it tends to come through pretty quickly in their content, if not as explicit bigotry then at least in terms of being unpleasant and unenjoyable to watch. So if I like someone I'll watch their stuff, and if it later comes out that they suck somehow I'll stop watching. As long as you keep them at arm's length as you should with any internet stranger it will be a mild and very temporary bummer and you'll have completely forgotten about them like a week later.

Idk. That goldeneye speed runner (goose something maybe) was good at hiding it until I learned about the other bigots in the Goldeneye speed running community.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ariong posted:

Some but not all the times.

It's insanely amazing how the guy behind FNAF was outed with a single tweet by a goon, who assumed everyone just knew about the crazy amount of hard right political donations, but was brand new info to literally everyone who cared.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Captain Disillusion released a new video and it's only 16 minutes long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tbG6b6xRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheMightyBoops posted:

Idk. That goldeneye speed runner (goose something maybe) was good at hiding it until I learned about the other bigots in the Goldeneye speed running community.

I mean, it's a lot harder to hide it if your game is trying to do modern media analysis like Mauler. A huge part of the conservative identity is being vehemently outraged by certain aspects of modern pop culture. A speedrunner meanwhile can just talk about their game and the tech and all that and neatly avoid discussing anything with a political component attached to it. JonTron is another example: the only reason he's persona non grata in a lot of circles is because he inexplicably decided to out himself as a racist on twitter and then try to double down on it in a Destiny debate. If he'd never spoken up about his views and just stayed the funny retro video game review guy he'd probably have few if any detractors.