Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
one neat coin, republicans hate it! (opposition democrat logo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

https://twitter.com/DanAwrey/status/1653502054877257728?t=TVb7E9R4JoazwPwZWLuqJg&s=19
https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1653468494967521290?t=xxsE73LTRZFHKvitza2MKg&s=19

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Now how am I supposed to consume product and get excited for next product?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

webcams for christ posted:

this is a strong arg against the coin for the debt ceiling lol

https://twitter.com/SMTuffy/status/1653494434108002350

I thought the benefit of the coin was that they didn't need Congress at all for it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hypernormalization consent manufacturing!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I thought the benefit of the coin was that they didn't need Congress at all for it

yes they did step one already decades ago

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Raccooon posted:

Trump is going to be president again.

they hated him because he spoke the truth

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for a vault completely full of platinum IOU coins.

They'll publish photos about how its actually an achievement to be proud of or something, people in suits posing with big smiles on their faces.

Can't wait to pay 5 million dollars for a latte.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

they hated him because he spoke the truth

He also blasted through decorum like a pissed-off elephant on PCP. For decades politicians made excuses that they couldn't get anything done because they had to follow the rules. Then, Trump comes in and starts squeaking repeatedly, gently caress decorum, and what he can do with presidential orders and within his power gets done drat near immediately.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Regulators had to know this was going to happen and just let the stock continue trading until the weekend.

realistically every public company is going to die so the question is really where you draw the line

personally i believe no company should be traded because the very idea of corporate-themed baseball cards is so stupid it boggles the mind

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Even if you own your house in your golden years, there's no guarantee flippers and investors won't weaponize city housing codes to gently caress you out of your house. Good stuff!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-24/how-pittsburgh-s-house-flippers-get-buyers-to-sell

or some random person you've never met won't get a judge to declare them your legal guardian, put you in a nursing home, sell all your possessions and pocket everything

good country, very reasonable

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
SlightlyMoldyTweet
https://twitter.com/usrbinkat/status/1639322500076273664?t=Perxh2tkzWI-bF3awTdSLg&s=19

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

He also blasted through decorum like a pissed-off elephant on PCP. For decades politicians made excuses that they couldn't get anything done because they had to follow the rules. Then, Trump comes in and starts squeaking repeatedly, gently caress decorum, and what he can do with presidential orders and within his power gets done drat near immediately.

Not only that, but the institutional panic and response to the pandemic and the associated economic collapse put the lie to idea that government couldn't do anything.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

why did they need chatgpt to tell them this

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nothus posted:

Not only that, but the institutional panic and response to the pandemic and the associated economic collapse put the lie to idea that government couldn't do anything.

Yeah, at first, congress and the libs kept hemming and hawing about providing financial aid, and Trump was like, "PUT MY SIGNATURE ON THE CHECK." One week later we had checks with Trumps name next to them lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

anime was right posted:

republicans are just insane enough that they might not listen to donors

The fun thing about default is that there's no conceivable way it can really happen except that there are people in our government insane enough to actually do it.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Seriously all these dumb ChatGPT takes have a slight tinge of anti-intellectualism to them

"yeah TAKE THAT you loving nerd pieces of poo poo i hope you all die on the street:smuggo:"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Harik posted:

or some random person you've never met won't get a judge to declare them your legal guardian, put you in a nursing home, sell all your possessions and pocket everything

good country, very reasonable

It's ok, whatever end of life or assisted living situation will just take all the money you have anyway, regardless if you have a little or a lot. You can't plan around this, they're going to take it all. Your children such as they are, will also have their finances drained and there is no way for them to avoid it or save enough to provide for you.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Raccooon posted:

I don't really know how to take this stuff? Like are we actually close to a real AI or is this just a really good pattern matching algorithm. Another way to think about it is it took ChatGPT analyzing a data set of text the size of the internet to be able to generate text like a human. A human doesn't have to analyze nearly that much text to be better than ChatGPT at it.

i think the best layperson way to look at the large language model stuff is that it's like the AI player from an RTS, but souped up and for paragraphs

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah, at first, congress and the libs kept hemming and hawing about providing financial aid, and Trump was like, "PUT MY SIGNATURE ON THE CHECK." One week later we had checks with Trumps name next to them lol

It's not just Trumpbux. Operation Warp Speed took a totally new vaccine based on a technology that was mired in regulatory hell and investor indifference and shoved it into widespread adoption in less than two years. From a biotechnology perspective, that was loving unbelievable.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Seriously all these dumb ChatGPT takes have a slight tinge of anti-intellectualism to them

"yeah TAKE THAT you loving nerd pieces of poo poo i hope you all die on the street:smuggo:"

One thing the AI poo poo has shown is how well the American public has been trained to hate artists for not having “real jobs” aka serving corporate lords. I’ve seen so many weirdos proclaiming AI is “freeing art” from being kept away from the masses by elitist artists :lol:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

What's this view from?

https://www.tradingview.com/markets/stocks-usa/sectorandindustry-industry/regional-banks/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nothus posted:

It's not just Trumpbux. Operation Warp Speed took a totally new vaccine based on a technology that was mired in regulatory hell and investor indifference and shoved it into widespread adoption in less than two years. From a biotechnology perspective, that was loving unbelievable.

Trump was the most progressive president in 60 years, lol. Trump needs to win if the only two choices are Biden or Trump.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

it’s really funny that stupid people imagine they’re getting a response from some unbiased hyper intelligent AI instead of poo poo cobbled together from a google search

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The fun thing about default is that there's no conceivable way it can really happen except that there are people in our government insane enough to actually do it.

Yup, try to never underestimate the capability for human stupidity. I try to keep my expectations low, but people keep finding a way to dig a deeper hole under that bar.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gracias

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the House of Representatives would have to magically vanish for the debt limit to not get raised. really the only question is if McCarthy feels comfortable enough to bring whatever pound of flesh McConnell extracts up for a vote without having dems and saner republicans do a discharge petition

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

LonsomeSon posted:

i think the best layperson way to look at the large language model stuff is that it's like the AI player from an RTS, but souped up and for paragraphs

I think the best way to view them is as what they are: systems that can output plausible text responses to queries. That's really it, with everything else being kind of a side effect of the specific training data that went into the model.

The limitations/caveats of these models make a lot more sense when you view them that way, because they can't really provide reliable information or analysis on any subject. The main thing you get out of them is a workable text response, and the system has zero concept of the correctness of its content except from prior reinforcement learning.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

Trump was the most progressive president in 60 years, lol. Trump needs to win if the only two choices are Biden or Trump.

Libs and chuds alike will never acknowledge this. lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol we had 8 years of obama who did jack poo poo meanwhile trump makes democrats look bad because oops turns out you can just do stuff and not ~save up political capital~

gently caress obama and democrats. vile pieces of poo poo

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Paradoxish posted:

I think the best way to view them is as what they are: systems that can output plausible text responses to queries. That's really it, with everything else being kind of a side effect of the specific training data that went into the model.

The limitations/caveats of these models make a lot more sense when you view them that way, because they can't really provide reliable information or analysis on any subject. The main thing you get out of them is a workable text response, and the system has zero concept of the correctness of its content except from prior reinforcement learning.

this is more or less the picture i was trying to paint, an RTS computer player can produce units and move them around the simulation space and by those abilities alone it provides a threat credible enough to the human player that the human needs to learn and use counters for it, but it's not playing the game in any meaningful sense and its purpose is explicitly not to do that but just to provide the sensation of a credible threat

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One thing the AI poo poo has shown is how well the American public has been trained to hate artists for not having “real jobs” aka serving corporate lords. I’ve seen so many weirdos proclaiming AI is “freeing art” from being kept away from the masses by elitist artists :lol:

Adorno was too stupid to see how easily his ideology lent itself to every type of room temperature IQ BowTie reactionary.

or he just didn't care. either one of the two:v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xaris posted:

lol we had 8 years of obama who did jack poo poo meanwhile trump makes democrats look bad because oops turns out you can just do stuff and not ~save up political capital~

gently caress obama and democrats. vile pieces of poo poo

:haibrow:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

lol it's hilarious particularly when they're like "see? The liberal arts are worthless!", when it just proves they don't know Paganini from Pagliacci or Cannae from Culloden.

e: More obvious with AI art because clearly they confuse crude pastiche that vaguely like other things they've seen with they real deal.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the House of Representatives would have to magically vanish for the debt limit to not get raised. really the only question is if McCarthy feels comfortable enough to bring whatever pound of flesh McConnell extracts up for a vote without having dems and saner republicans do a discharge petition

I know none of you actually read the threads you post in, but the saner Republicans already said no to the discharge petition.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

🤔
https://twitter.com/justfp/status/1653510364498210824?t=WpSC4W97bh2ByvLRlT83FA&s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
joe biden should mint the trillion dollar coin and give one to every american.

volcker shock baby

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

are dems still trying to push the soft-coup as only acknowledging Guaido as the TRUE president?? lol if so

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/billyperrigo/status/1653088692783960064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr Hootington posted:

I know none of you actually read the threads you post in, but the saner Republicans already said no to the discharge petition.

Do they sell discharge petitions in vending machines in Japan too?