Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Finished the first Story realm and immediately started a new game in Story Realm 2. Everything's running great so far except for one event that causes my game to crash every time if I choose to help some little rat men, so I unfortunately had to tell them to leave me alone.
I have the exact same issue with that quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Is it just me or do bronze wonders vary wildly in difficulty?

Did one that was just 2 tier 2 and 2 tier 1s and then had 3 that each had 2 tier 4 mirror mimics and 2 wisps making GBS threads lightning everywhere.

These are not on the same difficulty tier!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just entirely steamrolled a map as Cannibal frog barbarians with Chaos + Nature affinity with Fast Recuperation and Ferocious, which seems like a very overtuned setup. It doesn't take long to get an army of Houndmasters going which can stomp virtually anything - they're very powerful archer units that get an expendable free-action Warhound summon at the start of every fight. Then you can mix in some Wildspeakers for strong ranged plague damage + a random t1 animal summon each fight, plus a buff that can be placed on the dogs/animal summons to make them do more damage (and it stacks 5 times). The pets tie up enemies in their zone of control and then the ranged units stack on lots of +flanking damage bonuses to mulch everything.

I won right after I unlocked my T3 berserker unit which literally one-shot everything it fought.

e: You can further cheesify this strat by limiting what city upgrades you build, so that you can't build any additional units beyond the starting ones. That way when you research Houndmasters and Wildspeakers you can add the Lure the Horde empire ability from Chaos, which gives you a chance on every victory to summon one buildable T1/T2 unit. With this setup, every single fight has a ~25% chance of giving you a free Houndmaster/Wildspeaker.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 3, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I absolutely love the pantheon system. Gives a "no campaign just endless maps" player like me a real sense of progression. I desperately need to unlock all the traits

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah the game runs remarkably well on the default high settings for me. My only complaint is that my frames plummet when there's a bunch of lava on screen. Not sure why, but noticed that on the first campaign map's underground, and I think this was an issue with AoW 3, now that I think about it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

2 hour trip report: It's fantastic and oh god I'm going to play so much of this. Congrats Gerblyn and everyone at Triumph and Paradox - you crushed it, and I hope the game does as well for you as it looks like it's doing to me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Thyrork posted:

The campaign pulls its punches as I understand.

Alright, time for a restart on a harder diff then. I'm here for the battles, not making friends!!!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Great to see the reviews are up to Mostly Positive!

Forewarned by the mentions of the negative reviews having graphical issues, I updated my GeForce drivers, and it's been perfectly smooth.

We need a GoonLeague.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does this game have the issue where in order to reinforce properly you need to form a diamond on the map and the AI will mess up their diamond and trivialize important battles?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Baron Porkface posted:

Does this game have the issue where in order to reinforce properly you need to form a diamond on the map and the AI will mess up their diamond and trivialize important battles?

No. Reinforcement now pulls from a three hex radius around the battle hex.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

No, they solved the gently caress out of that by making it so battles automatically have a fairly big engagement radius and that each side gets three armies max. So just keep everyone relatively close together and you'll be fine

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

My civilization of magic loving goblins led by a purple orc who rides a unicorn might be my favorite thing in video games, ever.

Edit: I do wish it would crash less. I've updated all my drivers, so I'm out of ideas. Hopefully fixed by the weekend, so I can spend a solid 20+ hours ignoring the real world

A Real Horse fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 3, 2023

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Splicer posted:

I skipped most of the dev diaries so I could find out stuff for myself. I really like the province boost thing and so far I'm really liking the necromancer souls mechanic, it keeps the fuelled-by-my-enemies feel without the micro fomo.

I also like the focus on temp HP. Having to cycle out units more often is a cheap price to pay to end the age of drawing out fights for recharges. Also the actual amount they heal seems to be pretty hefty so I'm seeing less actual deaths than I expected.

The whole shield wall thing is also pretty cool.

How do Souls work? You get them when you kill units and spend them to make undead? Or what?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

A Real Horse posted:

My civilization of magic loving goblins led by a purple orc who rides a unicorn might be my favorite thing in video games, ever.

Edit: I do wish it would crash less. I've updated all my drivers, so I'm out of ideas. Hopefully fixed by the weekend, so I can spend a solid 20+ hours ignoring the real world

There's a beta branch that you can go to for hotfixes. Switching to that helped reduce the amount of crashes I got.

Game is incredible and I love it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh hey, AoW, I used to play that, wonder how much the new one costs...

loving yikes, Paradox DLC model strikes again. The 'expansion pass', for things don't don't even exist yet, costs the same as the base game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Prism posted:

How do Souls work? You get them when you kill units and spend them to make undead? Or what?

I saw a tier 3 nature tome that gave a unit that on a kill would charge up an ability that could be used to resurrect one of your dead units. Cycle of rebirth or something. I haven't tried necromancy so can't comment on souls.

It seems like the units in this game are often really flavorful, which is nice since that's exactly what I felt was lacking in AoW3.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Serephina posted:

Oh hey, AoW, I used to play that, wonder how much the new one costs...

loving yikes, Paradox DLC model strikes again. The 'expansion pass', for things don't don't even exist yet, costs the same as the base game.

Those are some New Zealand prices alright.

That said I’m not really sure why you’re fussing over dlc prices. Worry about figuring out if you like the game first.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sorry yea. Big discussion about Big Mac Index aside, those prices are... unaffordable.

I've touched enough things with the Paradox name on them (both in-house developed and used as a publisher) to be extraordinarily leery of their DLC practices, and not to expect the base game to be a complete experience.

Sorry this might not be the right thread for it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Not defending the prices, but for what it's worth AoW has been published by Paradox for a while and has a track record of high-quality, reasonably-priced DLC, not the usual Paradox "release each missing feature as an individual $15 DLC" thing. They're generally full-on oldschool expansions for $15-20 each.

E: I will echo the below sentiment that aow dlc is never necessary to enjoy the game, it's more like an optional purchase if you love the game and want even more.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 3, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

I've touched enough things with the Paradox name on them (both in-house developed and used as a publisher) to be extraordinarily leery of their DLC practices, and not to expect the base game to be a complete experience.

this is a thing that people keep saying upon seeing the name paradox even though it was not how the dlc for either 3 or planetfall worked and there has been no indication that the dlc for 4 will be like that

aow has been very good in the past about offering dlc that's both a substantial improvement on the game experience while also not detracting from or cannibalizing the base game. they also always have excellent base game experiences. it's a very good series.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 3, 2023

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Help! The last 8 hours seem to have somehow vanished.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm sure it'll also still be a good game in five years on sale. I bought Planetfall recently and it has been an amazing experience. I'm putting off AoW4 because I don't want to cut Planetfall short.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Planetfall, I do have that but never really played it. Is that worth digging into before AoW4?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Serephina posted:

Sorry yea. Big discussion about Big Mac Index aside, those prices are... unaffordable.

Age of Wonders games traditionally get 2-4 dlc and that’s it. That’s how 3 worked, that’s how Planetfall worked, and in both cases it was a feature complete game before dlc.

Paradox was still the publisher then. Make of all that what you will.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm amused that Paradox's dlc reputation is strong enough to cause people to kramer in here and the steam reviews and immediately screech about dlc practices despite this being a Triumph game with a decade+ long history of extremely good dlc and extremely good patch support post release

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Tried out going for the magic victory and even on an easier difficulty the invading armies they send after your improvements are no joke. Definitely have to plan better the next time I try that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Planetfall, I do have that but never really played it. Is that worth digging into before AoW4?

It's a great game, but it was a little bit of an awkward stepping stone between 3 and 4. 4 is a much better version of what Planetfall set out to do. I wouldn't particularly recommend playing it explicitly before 4, in part because it has some UX/UI and presentation issues that are clearly solved in 4. But if you have it available and don't want to buy 4, it's worth checking out - if it clicks with you there's a whole lot to love there.

I never played multiplayer in it, but from what I read it had an excellent meta and was a lot of fun. From the looks of things 4 will be even better in that regard but who knows.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I wish I were playing this right now.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

My magic goblins have achieved victory, totally legitimately and earned (I became a vassal of the AI that was about to win about two turns before they did).

Now their leader, a magical purple orc, is the first god in my pantheon, and unlocked a swanky new wizard hat.

10/10 game of the year

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a great game, but it was a little bit of an awkward stepping stone between 3 and 4. 4 is a much better version of what Planetfall set out to do. I wouldn't particularly recommend playing it explicitly before 4, in part because it has some UX/UI and presentation issues that are clearly solved in 4. But if you have it available and don't want to buy 4, it's worth checking out - if it clicks with you there's a whole lot to love there.

I never played multiplayer in it, but from what I read it had an excellent meta and was a lot of fun. From the looks of things 4 will be even better in that regard but who knows.

For the most part I would agree with this. But Pantheon in 4 is mostly a less interesting version of Planetfall’s empire mode. It has a lot of the same fundamentals and I’m confident they will iterate though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Hey Gerblyn, where is the best/easiest for the team location to do bug reports?

Either the Paradox or the Steam forums are good!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Before I buy this, is playing tall a thing? Can I just build a small number of massive cities and then turtle my way to the end?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

It's a great game, but it was a little bit of an awkward stepping stone between 3 and 4. 4 is a much better version of what Planetfall set out to do. I wouldn't particularly recommend playing it explicitly before 4, in part because it has some UX/UI and presentation issues that are clearly solved in 4.

Counterpoint: it has T-Rex with head mounted laser cannons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ragnar34 posted:

Before I buy this, is playing tall a thing? Can I just build a small number of massive cities and then turtle my way to the end?

There's both a pretty low city cap, additional scaling cost and a civic entirely built around playing with 1 super city (though its buried deep in the metaprogression).

You're definitely not gonna be spamming out cities like in 3

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can enable Megacities in the map generator which disables founding new cities and makes throne cities expand further

You can lessen the number of free cities as well, though if you want to build tall you can vassalize them and make them govern themselves and pay you tribute.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I am enjoying book of the horde swarming industrial goblins a lot. Their t1 shield unit really lets you lock down important units

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

There's both a pretty low city cap, additional scaling cost and a civic entirely built around playing with 1 super city (though its buried deep in the metaprogression).

You're definitely not gonna be spamming out cities like in 3

You can enable Megacities in the map generator which disables founding new cities and makes throne cities expand further

You can lessen the number of free cities as well, though if you want to build tall you can vassalize them and make them govern themselves and pay you tribute.

I was half-hoping for the answer that won't cost me $50 but this sounds promising. Maybe if I wait until it goes on sale, they'll fix the crashes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

maps in this are relatively small and scale only with the player count, so the sprawl never gets out of hand.

The pace is overall brisk, in a good way

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

For the most part I would agree with this. But Pantheon in 4 is mostly a less interesting version of Planetfall’s empire mode. It has a lot of the same fundamentals and I’m confident they will iterate though.

I'm fairly sure this is fully intentional. I think the Pantheon system only exists to be a light touch encouragement for players to experiment and play however they like (rewarding points no matter what), in contrast to previous titles where a significant set of players got stuck on the campaign and left it thinking that was the primary game mode they ought to enjoy. While the Empire mode was a cool experiment, I think it also showed how difficult it is to gamify something like that and not fully unbalance your game. Not that it wasn't fun, but probably not the main result they wanted for their new title at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress it, giving this a try. I feel like a wiener for choosing the generic human precreated ruler for the tutorial map.

That said, will try to roll industrialist orcs once I feel comfortable.