Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

ninjewtsu posted:

What does the g in """reconguista in g""" stand for?

'Great series'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

No master Grade.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

'Great series'

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

What does the g in """reconguista in g""" stand for?

Garbage

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reconguista in Good, Actually

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, but they can still sell both versions. Just consider the TV series and Endless Waltz versions of the Wing designs.

I'm not sure that consideration works as well as you think it does, because Endless Waltz is more popular as a Gunpla mine than the base TV show where the same unit exists in both versions. And that succeeded when it came out only a year or so after the original show, which was only a moderate success compared to older UC stuff going off sales charts; what if it failed 40 years after, when Banrise push the designs to try and generate sales, undercutting good will for the original designs in the process. Designs that are still beloved after 40 years, but could potentially be tainted by association with a show or updated designs that don't work for people?

Especially when, let's not pretend otherwise, Bandai can just sell updated designs perfectly well without a new show to advertise them. They've been reengineering and doing minor design work on the RX-78-2, Zaku II, Zeong and a couple of other designs throughout the decades aa is, and several manga like The Origin and Thunderbolt include redesigns while establishing themselves as their own identity out the gate, rather than just retreading the original show. They've even sold more radical redesigns of the RX-78-2 with occasional specials like the G40 short.

They do not need a new show, and there's really no reason to bother with one when it probably wouldn't increase sales of the original show's Gunpla much, but may not shift its own Gunpla as well as a brand new product line like IBO or G-Witch. So why bother?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

The success of GW/EW kits is a testament to how fully sick the designs are and I don’t think the show matters as much.

How many non-EW Zeros do they really sell?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wing kits are still the ones I find the most often at Target

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dynamite Dog posted:

The success of GW/EW kits is a testament to how fully sick the designs are and I don’t think the show matters as much.

How many non-EW Zeros do they really sell?

The non-EW Zero is the better one

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm not sure that consideration works as well as you think it does, because Endless Waltz is more popular as a Gunpla mine than the base TV show where the same unit exists in both versions. And that succeeded when it came out only a year or so after the original show, which was only a moderate success compared to older UC stuff going off sales charts; what if it failed 40 years after, when Banrise push the designs to try and generate sales, undercutting good will for the original designs in the process. Designs that are still beloved after 40 years, but could potentially be tainted by association with a show or updated designs that don't work for people?

Especially when, let's not pretend otherwise, Bandai can just sell updated designs perfectly well without a new show to advertise them. They've been reengineering and doing minor design work on the RX-78-2, Zaku II, Zeong and a couple of other designs throughout the decades aa is, and several manga like The Origin and Thunderbolt include redesigns while establishing themselves as their own identity out the gate, rather than just retreading the original show. They've even sold more radical redesigns of the RX-78-2 with occasional specials like the G40 short.

They do not need a new show, and there's really no reason to bother with one when it probably wouldn't increase sales of the original show's Gunpla much, but may not shift its own Gunpla as well as a brand new product line like IBO or G-Witch. So why bother?

You need new material in order to bring in younger generations and hold the franchise in the public consciousness. Believing only in direct correlations between media and kit sales, and basing your decisions entirely off that kind of thinking is how you end up cratering your company five - ten years out.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think the logic of "they'll do that when the original suits' gunpla sales start falling off" is probably correct. They'll reinvigorate interest in the original series when the sales tell them they need that interest reinvigorated.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

You need new material in order to bring in younger generations and hold the franchise in the public consciousness. Believing only in direct correlations between media and kit sales, and basing your decisions entirely off that kind of thinking is how you end up cratering your company five - ten years out.

I would say that remaking the original show is not really "new" material, and besides the various AU shows are the new and have been sustaining the franchise for literal decades now alongside the occasional UC thing in the form of an OVA or movie. The original series has also already sustained itself through multiple generations via cultural osmosis in various forms and that's unlikely to dry up soon, so I don't even think there's a good argument there for requiring a remake just to keep up sales of the original series. Never mind that Banrise have already signaled they're content to allow that to die when they let Unicorn, which was a massive sales hit for home media and gunpla, to actually confirm Amuro and Char's death. If UC has a future it's in Unicorn, not in remaking the original show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 2, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when will disney remake the original star wars trilogy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

Somehow Star Wars returned.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

They absolutely will at some point, because they spent billions of dollars on the franchise and Disney is infamous for milking their popular IPs until the cow keels over dead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They spent relatively little on star wars, in the scope of acquisitons.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Disney will make a gorgeously hand animated remake of Star Wars as a sop to all the people going “why live action remake???” Of some of the best animated films of all times.

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DamnGlitch posted:

Disney will make a gorgeously hand animated remake of Star Wars as a sop to all the people going “why live action remake???” Of some of the best animated films of all times.

lol

We don't really need them to go to that effort when there's the Visions project.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I would say that remaking the original show is not really "new" material, and besides the various AU shows are the new and have been sustaining the franchise for literal decades now alongside the occasional UC thing in the form of an OVA or movie. The original series has also already sustained itself through multiple generations via cultural osmosis in various forms and that's unlikely to dry up soon, so I don't even think there's a good argument there for requiring a remake just to keep up sales of the original series. Never mind that Banrise have already signaled they're content to allow that to die when they let Unicorn, which was a massive sales hit for home media and gunpla, to actually confirm Amuro and Char's death. If UC has a future it's in Unicorn, not in remaking the original show.

Cultural osmosis has it's limits especially with that generation about to start pushing up daisies. From a business perspective it behooves Sunrise to make sure that the Post Zoomer generation is firmly rooted in the firmament of Gundam; this to ensure that all the other UC ecosystem remains profitable and ripe for exploitation. Consider that if Char and Amuro stop being bywords in the animeical lexicon the reduction of cultural cachet will deprive any projects using the reflections or interpretations of those characters of meaning. People love finding connections between disparate events and characters, the nexus it creates entrenches the ideas of the show in the viewers mind and the act of treasure hunting for them can be the cause of as much pleasure in the audience as the music or story. Part of the ascendancy of gundam to the paramount position of mecha media is the deep well of references and connections the viewer can identify and discuss. Since all these connections ultimately derive from the MSG well there is a will to weld these tropes and concepts into the will of audience that is coming and is to come.

Partially this is done peripheral productions pertaining to the psuedo canon. e.g. Doan and Origin, but it might be very soon that the process moves centerwards to finally desecrate it's own birth chamber to ensure the hollow of it's future success.

To be clear, I hate this. Probably the most of all in this thread. It is utterly intellectually bankrupt, morally disgusting, and a denigration of all that could be considered artistic in this money driven mecha business. One would hope that the suits have enough spine to stand up and reject the destruction of art, but I think we're all quite aware of the jellyfishical nature of the modern c suite dweller.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

lol

Disney, in almost 100 years has made two good films, zero great films. Bakshi made what six or seven great Films in 20-30 years. I've never seen a company so substitant on misplaced nostalgia as Disney. Only Spielberg rivals them in the gulf of quality between their actual work and the esteem they're held in by the sycophantic media.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Just animate all of Origin the manga rules

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

turning the takes up from hot to extra spicy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Partially this is done peripheral productions pertaining to the psuedo canon. e.g. Doan and Origin, but it might be very soon that the process moves centerwards to finally desecrate it's own birth chamber to ensure the hollow of it's future success.

To be clear, I hate this. Probably the most of all in this thread. It is utterly intellectually bankrupt, morally disgusting, and a denigration of all that could be considered artistic in this money driven mecha business. One would hope that the suits have enough spine to stand up and reject the destruction of art, but I think we're all quite aware of the jellyfishical nature of the modern c suite dweller.

Well okay then.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

Disney, in almost 100 years has made two good films, zero great films. Bakshi made what six or seven great Films in 20-30 years. I've never seen a company so substitant on misplaced nostalgia as Disney. Only Spielberg rivals them in the gulf of quality between their actual work and the esteem they're held in by the sycophantic media.

This is such a bad post, like yeah Disney has made plenty of bad films but to claim they've only made two good films is such a snobby opinion that it would be funny if it weren't also a really stupid one

ninjewtsu posted:

turning the takes up from hot to extra spicy

It's Da Bomb of hot takes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hate musicals
Atlantis and Treasure Planet are the 2 good films btw.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 3, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

This is such a bad post

I don't know if I hate that the 2 good Disney films are not named or if I like the sense of mystery

EDIT: lmao good timing

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Actually a straight remake and not even going with Origin’s changes makes the insane person mad so do that

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The idea of a 0079 remake to bring new fans just feels contradictory to me, but maybe I'm stuck too far in the UC/AU divide.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Why not do Metal Armor Dragonar: The Origin?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

tsob posted:

If UC has a future it's in Unicorn, not in remaking the original show.

I feel like the double combo of Covid and current day production struggles slowing things to a crawl have made people forget that they already have a roadmap for the future of the UC, and it's forwards not backwards.

"the next hundred years of the Universal Century after Char's Counterattack" and to date they're gotten to year 12.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't know if I hate that the 2 good Disney films are not named or if I like the sense of mystery

EDIT: lmao good timing

I'm more interested in the six or seven good Bakshi films because the vast majority of his stuff is loving trash lmao

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Good soup! posted:

I'm more interested in the six or seven good Bakshi films because the vast majority of his stuff is loving trash lmao

He also... barely has more than that in total. He has, like, 10 films?

A number of his films are IMPORTANT, but not much in the way of GOOD.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 3, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good soup! posted:

The Streak from Fritz to Wizards is an animation hot streak matched only by Satoshi Kon. His Lord of the Rings is easily a match for that one australian guy who did the other movies, I forgot his name. Anyways Cool World in retrospect is easy to see as one of the most prescient films of the nineties.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gaius Marius posted:

What the hell is this poo poo, Spielberg whips scrote. Jaws, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, Munich, all incredible movies. Yes, he’s a little schmaltzy, but that he’s so unashamed about it, and it’s often thrown in with harrowing, terrifying situations. Spielberg tha god.

To actually relate it to the topic at hand, Spielberg was the first director to include the Grandpa in a live action movie! (In the kinda crummy Ready Player One)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You guys take bait way too easily from an old person

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What the hell is this poo poo, Spielberg whips scrote.

I agree with the spirit of your post but am firmly against this phrase. It sounds like a rejected line from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What the hell is this poo poo, Spielberg whips scrote. Jaws, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, Munich, all incredible movies. Yes, he’s a little schmaltzy, but that he’s so unashamed about it, and it’s often thrown in with harrowing, terrifying situations. Spielberg tha god.

To actually relate it to the topic at hand, Spielberg was the first director to include the Grandpa in a live action movie! (In the kinda crummy Ready Player One)

Spiel is technically proficient, but is let down by his inability to not coat everything with his Spielish patina of schmaltzy poo poo. He's a director whose unfortunate early success has disabused him of the notion that he needs any manner of correction to his filmic styling. So you end up with absolute trash like the Janitor stopping the 747 with his mop in Terminal or the Entirety of Close Encounters, a Film I was forced to watch in school and loathed in it's entirety excepting the brief use of Truffaut. He can never get out of his own way and it drains any real ethos or pathos out of the films. He's always creating the simulacrum of emotion rather than the true emotion, or perhaps a simulacrum of a simulacrum vs. a better films single order remove.

Secondly he just isn't a good director of actors. I went and saw Fabelmens after pretty recently viewing Blue Valentine and Batman and the difference in Michelle Willams and Dano's performances was striking. Willams felt like an absolute caricature of a human being, you'd be hard pressed to find a single soul who thought her portrayal felt genuine in the way her Blue Valentine role did. And Dano's felt like he was sleepwalking after showing how dramatic, boisterous, and subtley seething he could be in Batman. Another way is to look at three roughly contemerpanous films. Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, and Minority Report All have Cruise really trying to Act rather than relying on his own charisma like in the newer MI films. Kubrick of course puts him through the wringer and juices every ounce of star juice out of him to get that raw emasculated and confused portrait of a man who thought he was king poo poo and just realized he ain't poo poo. PTA harness's every undercurrent of self loathing and abandonment in Cruise that created his famous drive and puts it all on screen, creating what is easily imo the best use of Cruise in Film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8_fxj5ZTA
I mean look at this, this is transcendent.
Spiel got a man who showed up and read lines in Minority and War Worlds.

Thirdly he suffers from what I call the problem of equivalents. He's done a lot of films in a lot of genre's, but there's always a better, more interesting, less studio, more challenging, deeper, more introspective, more insightful version of all of those films.

Yeah you can watch Catch me if you Can(his best film) but you can also watch The Talented Mr.Ripley, My American Friend, or Purple Noon. Saving Private Ryan? The Longest Day is right there. Lincoln? Young Mr.Lincoln by John Ford. Fabelmans?400 Blows, Murmurs of the Heart or Licorice Pizza. If someone came up to me and said "Hey you got any other movies like La Notte, There will be Blood, or The Double life of Veronique" I would answer in the negative, the distinctions I could draw parallels to those films in other movies would not serve to match to the whole of the actual film. Spielberg's films cannot say this excepting perhaps Jaws and Jurassic, but that's almost entirely because how absolutely mishandled those own movies sequels were to the point of destroying a genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbanWHx5AFQ
He's so drat good in Magnolia

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 3, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would watch a steven spielberg directed gundam movie

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

to be clear i want a 0079 remake for pure selfish reasons

gently caress the fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The Streak from Fritz to Wizards is an animation hot streak matched only by Satoshi Kon.

you leaned in too hard with this line lol