Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

The Leafs had two early PPs, then once there was a stretch of ES play the Panthers hemmed them in effectively and scored. Leafs executed a lot better from period 2 on but the Panthers had the legs on them early once they could string a few shifts together.

I dunno, the Leafs took brief vacations in the last 5 minutes of the 1st and the first 5 of the 3rd but otherwise there weren't really big momentum swings or much of a narrative besides Bob outplaying Samsonov and McCabe-Brodie loving up.

Leafs had another 2+ xG on the PP but, alas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm totally okay with a corgi as the oracle of the hockey gods

e: this post made more sense before i got FUCKIN SNIPED

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The corgi didn't even get the first round right and your post would have had just as little context at the top of the page!!

Also let me add that it's fuckin' weird that Paul Maurice was coaching the 'Canes against the Leafs 21 years ago, also coincidentally the last time the Leafs lost a playoff series that didn't make me immensely resentful.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
that guy just throws balls at his dog all day and occasionally one of the videos is correct and it goes viral. I hope the dog is having fun with it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

The corgi didn't even get the first round right and your post would have had just as little context at the top of the page!!

the corgi got the winner of the first round right it was just off by one game

(yes there were seven other series none of them mattered divination-ally)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

that guy just throws balls at his dog all day and occasionally one of the videos is correct and it goes viral. I hope the dog is having fun with it

this sounds like sour grapes from someone who doesn't appreciate a good prophecy

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1653582827668099077

I didn't think about this either until I saw the tweet

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Look, we can all agree that it’s funny a silly corgi video has called the Leafs losing both opening games of the series, especially because it’s the Leafs and they lost in preposterous fashion both times.

Also fwiw that video came out yesterday

eXXon posted:

I dunno, the Leafs took brief vacations in the last 5 minutes of the 1st and the first 5 of the 3rd but otherwise there weren't really big momentum swings or much of a narrative besides Bob outplaying Samsonov and McCabe-Brodie loving up.

Leafs had another 2+ xG on the PP but, alas...

xG tracks shot attempts, I think physically the Panthers started closing space and moving the needle before it turned into the full-blown push at the end of the first in the chart. But that’s splitting hairs, it doesn’t really matter.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1653582827668099077

I didn't think about this either until I saw the tweet

That was part of the reason I rooted for Edmonton and Vegas in round 1!

Seems like a missed opportunity for the league!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That was part of the reason I rooted for Edmonton and Vegas in round 1!

Seems like a missed opportunity for the league!

I guess part of it is that while Eichel is still a very good player, he's about a point-per-game even with all his injury problems, he's nowhere near McDavid's stratosphere anymore. Eichel had 66 points in 67 games this year and McDavid had 64 goals.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya Eichel is probably the third or fourth best player on Vegas.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Devils/Rangers! Hughes vs. Kakko!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

An insult to Nostradogmus!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
based on Pavelski’s performance tonight, Meier should go off for 3 or 4 tomorrow if he can stand being in fully lit rooms. Jake is owed an apology

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

based on Pavelski’s performance tonight, Meier should go off for 3 or 4 tomorrow if he can stand being in fully lit rooms. Jake is owed an apology

I can’t believe Dallas hosed up a 4 goal effort from Pavs in his first game back, unbelievable

The Kraken rule though

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tonight did remind me of a fun wrinkle.

I've only seen Benn and Seguin advance past the second round in the bubble. Let's see if I get in my own brain about this useless factoid.

Bad luck and just...bad defense for stretches. Not playing Minnesota anymore!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

Bad luck and just...bad defense for stretches. Not playing Minnesota anymore!

yeah my hope is that the Stars make adjustments and acclimatize to the way the Kraken play.. the same thing happened in the first round where the Stars arguably played better as the series progressed and really took Minnesota out of their preferred game in games 5 and 6.

They really need to win game 2 though.. I don't know if they have it in them to win 4/5 against this Seattle team.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Crazy that 9 out of the top 10 in GSAE per 60 are no longer playing. 16 out of the top 20 are also out, and two of the 4 still playing are guys who won't see any meaningful action (Wedgewood/Kochetkov). Oettinger and loving Ilya Samsonov are the best goalies left in the playoffs (and both sucked tonight, coincidentally).

Maybe Colorado winning with pretty mediocre (perhaps even poor) goaltending last year was the start of something (although Kuemper had a good regular season). I don't think any of the teams left are as good as they were outside of goalie though. So it could come down to some average or even bad goalie getting hot (or sucking more than usual).

This is filtered to minimum 20 games, so Schmid misses out with his 18 appearances. If you filter to 30 games, Bob and Skinner sneak in to the bottom of the top 20.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 3, 2023

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Cocaine Bear posted:

No sure Pavelski is gonna add much to the series...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

For gently caress sake Dallas, really???

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Also, regarding the Corgi Prophet, if I remember right there are multiple posters here who own Corgis specifically, and the obvious solution is to post pictures of your Corgi in your teams fan gear as a way to appease the Corgi Gods.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't get those ratings on the Devils. How is Hischier's defense rating so low? Same with Bratt and Tatar.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fawning deference posted:

I don't get those ratings on the Devils. How is Hischier's defense rating so low? Same with Bratt and Tatar.

Do not try and make sense of the numbers, but for forwards the defensive rating goes from -6 to +4 and Hischier is top 5 overall.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Do not try and make sense of the numbers, but for forwards the defensive rating goes from -6 to +4 and Hischier is top 5 overall.

Oh okay, gotcha. Not sure why Bratt is a 0, he seems to be very good defensively.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A 0 is a "second line player" whatever the hell that means. But 0 is better than you'd think.

Its not a very intuitive scale.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With McDavid having a +34 offense rating i can only assume that scale goes from -25 to +25

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Freddie Andersen has been a bad goalie for two out of the past three years so I find any positive for him kinda suspect.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

With McDavid having a +34 offense rating i can only assume that scale goes from -25 to +25

I understand not wanting to limit your scale and keep 0 as a baseline, but uhh ya. Good luck trying to figure out what is good or not based on random numbers.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I understand not wanting to limit your scale and keep 0 as a baseline, but uhh ya. Good luck trying to figure out what is good or not based on random numbers.

Both a 0, and -0.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah that's a stupidly confusing for no reason scale

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So Connor McDavid's offensive contribution is twice as impactful as the defensive impact of Bergeron, Hischier, Stone, Karlsson and Pageau combined?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think its like celcius and farenheit. ones got bigger nubmers than the other but two does not equal two

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The difference between a top pair defensive defencemen and a bottom pair defensive defenceman is two points but the difference between a top pairing defenceman and the league's best defenceman is six points? Is it saying that Spurgeon's defensive contribution is seven times what Suter's is? I don't understand this scale.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its based on goals above or below average but again, I don't actually understand what that means cause the explanation sucks in the article.

The defensive numbers are lower because of goaltenders? Again, I don't understand it and there's no real explanation.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

The difference between a top pair defensive defencemen and a bottom pair defensive defenceman is two points but the difference between a top pairing defenceman and the league's best defenceman is six points? Is it saying that Spurgeon's defensive contribution is seven times what Suter's is? I don't understand this scale.

I think the reason I discounted this one is because there's not a good explanation of how the numbers even work. If they'd have explained it the scale going from -69/+69 would have been fine, or whatever scale you want because then the numbers have meaning.

It's also nice to see stats that reinforce Spurgeon being good at defense. I'd put him and Charlie McAvoy near the top of a defending list and it's nice to see them break it into offense/defense even if the scale doesn't mean much.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
After looking at the remaining goaltending I'm uncomfortably confident about the Devils chances going forward. Or perhaps I'm just extremely relieved to be done with Shesterkin (who is now up to 27 goals saved above expected in his last 27 playoff games, absolutely insane run).

If, and it's a huge if, Schmid is the real deal, that gives the Devils a big advantage I'd never thought they'd have this year. Ofc goaltending is voodoo and maybe one of these mid-bad goalies just gets on a good run.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1653614315306631170?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

This deflection is insane, how the hell

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The other one from the slot where he's being hooked to poo poo is crazy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1653786042057609218?s=20

Still Timo Time