Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Will Smith ends up with 20 points in 7 games (tying Jack's American record, and one shy of Kucherov's all-time record) and the MVP in the US's gold at the U18s. Think he goes above Leo Carlsson? Surely he's going at worst like 5th or 6th. Does Michkov fall all the way to 5th with Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith looking like can't miss prospects who ancient GMs don't have to wait for?

Gabriel Perreault and Ryan Leonard also had huge tournaments on his line, with 18 and 17 points respectively (and Leonard scoring the OT winner in the finals). Both could go in the top 10 as well (Wheelers got them #8/#11).

e: Celebrini had a huge tournament too. If a team walks away with one of the top 5 guys this year and him or Eiserman next year that's a really exciting core to build from

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What a great draft this would've been to pick in the top 5 or 6. Instead (short of a miracle) the Canucks will pick 11th and waste it on some lovely defenceman who doesn't pan out.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

What a great draft this would've been to pick in the top 5 or 6. Instead (short of a miracle) the Canucks will pick 11th and waste it on some lovely defenceman who doesn't pan out.

on the bright side, at least at 11th you don’t have to worry about Michkov being on the board and having another Olli Juolevi type situation

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

on the bright side, at least at 11th you don’t have to worry about Michkov being on the board and having another Olli Juolevi type situation

Juolevi was not a faller of any sort. Tbh Michkov would be a great pick if he was available. The Canucks have had a recent propensity to sign Russian players and they need an injection of high end skill in their pipeline in the worst way. Michkov won't come over for a few years and by then he'd likely be leading the charge on the next rebuild. If he's available where the Canucks pick I hope they jump all over him.

I really want Colby Barlow even though he's a winger again. He has wicked shot and star level offensive zone positioning and plays a tough, stuck in style with great defensive awareness. He doesn't have obvious holes to his game and his style will translate to the NHL no problem imo. He's not gonna be a 100pt guy in the NHL but he reminds me of JT Miller before he exploded offensively with the Canucks or Matt Tkachuk without the vision. He accounted to a massive portion of the Attack's offence and was basically constantly visible on the ice whenever I watched him play. Plus by all accounts he's a terrific human being (unlike Miller) and has been Owen Sound's captain since he was 17. On a better team he's a consensus top 6 imo.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat the lottery is Monday too eh? exciting times

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

drat the lottery is Monday too eh? exciting times

I hate that the Canucks have a tiny chance in it. I wish I could not pay attention to it but the impossibly low but non zero odds mean I'll watch and be disappointed as always.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Juolevi was not a faller of any sort. Tbh Michkov would be a great pick if he was available. The Canucks have had a recent propensity to sign Russian players and they need an injection of high end skill in their pipeline in the worst way. Michkov won't come over for a few years and by then he'd likely be leading the charge on the next rebuild. If he's available where the Canucks pick I hope they jump all over him.

I really want Colby Barlow even though he's a winger again. He has wicked shot and star level offensive zone positioning and plays a tough, stuck in style with great defensive awareness. He doesn't have obvious holes to his game and his style will translate to the NHL no problem imo. He's not gonna be a 100pt guy in the NHL but he reminds me of JT Miller before he exploded offensively with the Canucks or Matt Tkachuk without the vision. He accounted to a massive portion of the Attack's offence and was basically constantly visible on the ice whenever I watched him play. Plus by all accounts he's a terrific human being (unlike Miller) and has been Owen Sound's captain since he was 17. On a better team he's a consensus top 6 imo.

oh no, I know you'd love Michkov. I think he'll be great. I mean Michkov would be on the board and they'd take like...Oliver Bonk or someone

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

oh no, I know you'd love Michkov. I think he'll be great. I mean Michkov would be on the board and they'd take like...Oliver Bonk or someone

Oh lol right drafting for need baby! I try not to think too much about how amazing Tkachuk would look with Pettersson Jesus Christ.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

1/8 chance for Washington to get Bedard or Fantilli. On May 8th. Currently in the 8th draft slot. Alex Ovechkin is #8.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Misanthrope posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1653531323158470656

Some decent names added............................................... also Lucic and Myers.

I assume that’s Jack Quinn, which rules. I already knew about Levi. I think Peterka is going to play for Germany and Tuch is going to play for Team USA.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Should get the full US Roster by this weekend. I generally make a thread but I'm absorbed in some strange other form of hockey, so if anyone wants to, feel free! Or we can post in here about the US's pathetic top six, either way.

https://twitter.com/CRoumeliotis/status/1653107591252172823

huge adds!

I think the US has Garland and Guentzel so far though.

And Alex Tuch! We have a line. DeSmith and Bonino too.

e: oh drat Guentzel got hurt and pulled out, lmao US

https://twitter.com/StapeAthletic/status/1653777890545156097

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 3, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tuch’s younger brother is going to play, too! Team USA is shaping up to be… a team.

Team Canada asked Jeff Skinner to play but I haven’t heard if he made a decision yet.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1653819514943840260

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
https://twitter.com/SNYRangers/status/1653784533974540290

lol my dude saying "he lets us go out there and do our thing" is not an endorsement when you just got run off the ice because none of ya'll looked like you knew what you were doing

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
3.6 mil a year for a guy who's thing is "trap the puck against the boards to kill time"

Good job Drury

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

T-Bone posted:

Will Smith ends up with 20 points in 7 games (tying Jack's American record, and one shy of Kucherov's all-time record) and the MVP in the US's gold at the U18s. Think he goes above Leo Carlsson? Surely he's going at worst like 5th or 6th. Does Michkov fall all the way to 5th with Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith looking like can't miss prospects who ancient GMs don't have to wait for?

Gabriel Perreault and Ryan Leonard also had huge tournaments on his line, with 18 and 17 points respectively (and Leonard scoring the OT winner in the finals). Both could go in the top 10 as well (Wheelers got them #8/#11).

e: Celebrini had a huge tournament too. If a team walks away with one of the top 5 guys this year and him or Eiserman next year that's a really exciting core to build from

FWIW, Pronman put Will Smith on the same tier as Carlsson in his draft rankings today -- "projected NHL all-star".

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I for one would be quite ok if the Habs could get jiggy with it

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I heard Will Smith has quite the....slap shot

trying this out here before seeing if my kids like it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

stab posted:

I don't think Giguere is coming back.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Nothing but glowing endorsements of Gallant all around, obviously.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

my guess gallant is gonna keep his job but get fired halfway thru the season via Dolan rage

Then with such short notice they will have no choice but to hire Q

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure they're already talking to Q and the league office and just leaving Gallant twisting in the wind until that's done.

Source: my uncle who works at MSG

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Will Smith is great and all but his name is super boring. How can you have a superstar named Smith? Doesn't work, don't draft.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm convinced Jason Robertson would be a bigger star if his name wasn't so boring.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Source: my uncle who works at MSG

my uncle works at TVP and HE says that they're gonna replace gallant with Tofu from resident evil

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

deoju posted:

I'm convinced Jason Robertson would be a bigger star if his name wasn't so boring.

he's not a very flashy player outside of his wrist shot which is lethal.. he doesn't skate well (actually he's probably in the bottom 10% of the league's forwards), he doesn't really pass that well, he's not a very physical or imposing player.. He's not even really a guy that always has the puck on his stick.. He just has that Joe Pavelski style game sense where he seems to know where to be at the right time to get a scoring chance.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also hockey Will Smith was born in 2005 when actor Will Smith was at the absolute height of his fame. I Robot, Bad Boys II, Shark Tale and MiB II had just been released. What sort of messed up parent gives their kid the exact same name as the world's most famous actor?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

stab posted:

5 is not a bad place to be on the board. Pretty much guaranteed Michkov or Smith.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

deoju posted:

Yeah it's a shame he's under the long shadow of Roope Hintz.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

AntiDepressor posted:

5 is not a bad place to be on the board. Pretty much guaranteed Michkov or Smith.

Habs can draft 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 7th.

Love that certainty baby

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Also hockey Will Smith was born in 2005 when actor Will Smith was at the absolute height of his fame. I Robot, Bad Boys II, Shark Tale and MiB II had just been released. What sort of messed up parent gives their kid the exact same name as the world's most famous actor?

A parent who didn't choose their last name and named their kid after their grandfather or whatever. William is a very common name and Smith is an extremely common name.

There are two active Will Smiths in major league baseball right now, unrelated, one a pitcher and one a catcher. There were two Will Smiths in the NFL ten years ago, though none now.

Why they choose to go by Will rather than Bill or Billy or just William, I guess they think it's cool.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

WeaponX posted:

my guess gallant is gonna keep his job but get fired halfway thru the season via Dolan rage

Then with such short notice they will have no choice but to hire Q

I think he's gone but if they hire Q I'm out

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Is there any info as to what would need for happen for Q to be able to coach in the NHL again? Is it just Bettman/the league saying "ok"?

Also I don't want to give too much credit to braindead pro athletes but are there people who would actually want to play for this guy? Not exactly a "player's coach" with that history

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are two active Will Smiths in major league baseball right now, unrelated, one a pitcher and one a catcher. There were two Will Smiths in the NFL ten years ago, though none now.

All of those guys were born well before Will Smith the actor was a household name.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Glambags posted:

Is there any info as to what would need for happen for Q to be able to coach in the NHL again? Is it just Bettman/the league saying "ok"?

Yes.

quote:

Also I don't want to give too much credit to braindead pro athletes but are there people who would actually want to play for this guy? Not exactly a "player's coach" with that history

Vast majority of players either don't care or are on Q's side of that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Twin Cinema posted:

FWIW, Pronman put Will Smith on the same tier as Carlsson in his draft rankings today -- "projected NHL all-star".

I think Carlsson's big body probbbbaly puts him over the top, but I seriously think Michkov might slide to #5 at this point. I think he's the #2 or #3 talent wise, but NHL GMs are huge cowards. Carlsson is having a real nice playoffs for Orebro too.

Pronman's also got #6-#10 as "top of the lineup players", and that's with Perreault right after the cutoff. This could very well be a 2015 like first round.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Misanthrope posted:

I sure hope the new coach is woke enough to play Huberdeau on the LW the entire season

I hope the coach is woke enough to practice the power play.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

stab posted:

Habs can draft 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 7th.

Love that certainty baby

Is there a consensus on who will go 4th?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FlamesNation/status/1653779959075442688

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

I think Carlsson's big body probbbbaly puts him over the top, but I seriously think Michkov might slide to #5 at this point. I think he's the #2 or #3 talent wise, but NHL GMs are huge cowards. Carlsson is having a real nice playoffs for Orebro too.

Pronman's also got #6-#10 as "top of the lineup players", and that's with Perreault right after the cutoff. This could very well be a 2015 like first round.

Hmm I wonder who the Rangers picked in 2015

gently caress