Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hot Brains is a positive character trait now. Expecting big things.

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1653782554619568133/photo/1

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Devils in 5.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
drat, that's a nice broken looking nose.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://twitter.com/FilipeDimas/status/1653576442125381636?s=20

:cheeky:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I wish those would become mandatory for all players at all times.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Cartoon Man posted:

I wish those would become mandatory for all players at all times.

At the very least let guys wear it if they want to. It’s bizarre you basically need a medical reason to use one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like you guys looking out but no NHL player would wear one willingly

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I understand not wanting to limit your scale and keep 0 as a baseline, but uhh ya. Good luck trying to figure out what is good or not based on random numbers.

i think they do good work overall but Dom and Shayna at The Athletic are in dire need of a designer. they consistently make some of the worst visualizations in hockey, and that is saying something.

T-Bone posted:

this has big “Chris Moltisanti in a neck brace” energy

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
e: wrong thread!

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2023

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

T-Bone posted:

I like you guys looking out but no NHL player would wear one willingly

I'm sure they said the same thing about helmets in the 70s

(edit: not disagreeing though)

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

this has big “Chris Moltisanti in a neck brace” energy

It's called a face shield, T. You can still play with a broken nose, and you can still have all your peripheral vision or whatever the gently caress. You don't gotta strap on a cage or nothin'.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

I'm sure they said the same thing about helmets in the 70s

(edit: not disagreeing though)

This, not disagreeing either. League just a need to do it and grandfather in existing players to optionally wear it till the last of them retire.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

So Connor McDavid's offensive contribution is twice as impactful as the defensive impact of Bergeron, Hischier, Stone, Karlsson and Pageau combined?

I think it is basically saying that there are only ~15-20 defensemen worth a drat in the league and everyone else is within a standard deviation of replacement level. That's an interesting contrast to the player cards that say that Timothy Liljegren is worth $9M/yr on the open market.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

I think it is basically saying that there are only ~15-20 defensemen worth a drat in the league and everyone else is within a standard deviation of replacement level. That's an interesting contrast to the player cards that say that Timothy Liljegren is worth $9M/yr on the open market.

the people saying that? Also The Athletic:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Until someone gets some kind of insane severe career/life threatening injury in the lower part of their face, there won't be anyone who would be willing to.

e: oh no my Lemaire, loool

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dom’s player evaluation model has always been insane, which is one of the reasons why it’s so funny that he consistently has the best team standings predictions across all public models.

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1653793942737960961?s=20

In Leafs news: all the guys mentioned are 100% nursing injuries. They’re also all playing like poo poo with the exception of Sammy who has been alternating good and bad games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

lol your avi

https://twitter.com/mikemorrealeNHL/status/1653815007145066498

Do hockey players care about winning the Lady Byng?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think if it's like your first trophy and you haven't won anything in the NHL it's got to feel pretty good.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

eXXon posted:

Is it that one is measuring on ice impact, and the other is how GMs pay for on ice impact?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/1653824573035429891?t=OJX7MTIkzPEO4aoynXPMIA&s=19

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand this takes a psychotic level of dedication and obviously money (and this person seems to have money to burn), but you're doing it in the lower bowl in Toronto. It's tutorial mode

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 3, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I remember MacKinnon won the Lady Byng. Then he threw a helmet at someone.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/1653824573035429891?t=OJX7MTIkzPEO4aoynXPMIA&s=19

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand this takes a psychotic level of dedication and obviously money (and this person seems to have money to burn), but you're doing it in the lower bowl in Toronto. It's tutorial mode

Breaking news- rich assholes have main character syndrome

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There was a Kraken fan on the very front row last night who absolutely lost his mind, turned around and started shouting poo poo at Stars fans after the Kraken won in overtime.

Glad he had a good time but I would definitely advise not trying that poo poo in other stadiums. For the most part I'd like to think Stars fans aren't violent unless they're that drunk loser who wanted to be super racist and then got punched to death slowly.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
From looking at Dom’s values, it makes me think defensive impact doesn’t mean much. There should be a number that correlates between the two.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

WeaponX posted:

Breaking news- rich assholes have main character syndrome

The Canadian Marlins Man.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

this rules. they’re like an evil Pungry

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

There was a Kraken fan on the very front row last night who absolutely lost his mind, turned around and started shouting poo poo at Stars fans after the Kraken won in overtime.

Glad he had a good time but I would definitely advise not trying that poo poo in other stadiums. For the most part I'd like to think Stars fans aren't violent unless they're that drunk loser who wanted to be super racist and then got punched to death slowly.

Drunk assholes live in all 50 states. Next at 11.

Most people don't get that invested, but there's always someone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bullshit, nobody lives in Wyoming.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shinjobi posted:

I went to the entire Avs series and there were a bunch on Avs shooting twice at the glass that went wild whenever the team scored, and were semi belligerent about it, but Seattleites aren't going to touch them because that'd involve interacting with strangers and ew, gross

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jhet posted:

Drunk assholes live in all 50 states. Next at 11.

Most people don't get that invested, but there's always someone.

Yeah im not being insincere when I say I'm happy for the guy, but I just don't know if I'd try something similar in the playoffs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah im not being insincere when I say I'm happy for the guy, but I just don't know if I'd try something similar in the playoffs.

Be happy, celebrate definitely. Don’t talk poo poo when all you did was spend a lot of money to sit in a chair to a bunch of other people who were also just sitting in chairs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Guess who's back!

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1653527728480477184?t=bdJj0F0eklKnMQUe6UpR2w&s=19

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

From looking at Dom’s values, it makes me think defensive impact doesn’t mean much. There should be a number that correlates between the two.

Dom adjusted his model pretty significantly a couple years back because he realized that it was undervaluing defensive impact pretty strongly, and the reason was basically “we have fewer stats that measure defensive contribution” and so offensive metrics just outweighed them. Personally I also think that the isolated stats for player defence are a lot fuzzier, so it’s just harder to differentiate the mushy middle of performers.

I think it’s extremely likely that Dom’s stuff is just bad at measuring defensive performance, but it doesn’t seem like anyone else in the public eye is doing it better so this is what we’ve got.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

What do we have to do to get McGuire hired in Calgary?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, regarding the Corgi Prophet, if I remember right there are multiple posters here who own Corgis specifically, and the obvious solution is to post pictures of your Corgi in your teams fan gear as a way to appease the Corgi Gods.

I will accept dogs other than Corgis in team gear, which should work via belief in divine corgi transubstantiation. All boys are good boys.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

grack posted:

What do we have to do to get McGuire hired in Calgary?

what did we ever do to hurt you

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

what did we ever do to hurt you

1983 division semifinals
1984 division semifinals
1989 division semifinals
2004 Conference quarterfinals
2015 Conference Quarterfinals
2022 Second Round

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

1983 division semifinals
1984 division semifinals
1989 division semifinals
2004 Conference quarterfinals
2015 Conference Quarterfinals
2022 Second Round

oh ya I forgot that I hate your hockey team too my bad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

oh ya I forgot that I hate your hockey team too my bad

For now we have a mutual enemy. We can resume the conflict when McDavid is banished from Edmonton forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Edmonton-Vegas game tonight is going to be a blowout. I can't wait to find out for which team.