Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is the trial that just keeps on giving. Beautiful.

I have a serious question for lawyers here: What is the objective benefit of delaying trials with shenanigans like this? I can't name them all but it seems in living memory these types of stall tactics seem to consistently blow up in their faces. Is there a good reason for this beyond just having lovely uncontrollable clients you can't wrangle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Being an rear end in a top hat to make the opposition's life miserable.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

Kurosawa is so good, that my youngest last year at age 10 sat through the entirety of Seven Samurai because he thought it was awesome. He is a bit of a precocious reader for his age so the subs weren't that rough on him, but I seriously expected to lose him through the numerous panoramic shots that Kurosawa was infatuated with. Any director that can hold the attention of a kid who prefers to watch shrieky fart joke Minecraft videos has got chops, alive or dead.

Not for nothing but you werent showing him something that has aged like dogshit for kid interests like when my uncle tried to get me to sit through chitty chitty bang bang

As an adult, fun movie, but as a kid, the magic flying 1920s car didnt do it for me

Samurais kick rear end though, samurais are up there for stuff kids will sit through anything for

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Not for nothing but you werent showing him something that has aged like dogshit for kid interests like when my uncle tried to get me to sit through chitty chitty bang bang

sorry, today's kids only watch chitty chitty bang bang when it's a Japanese cover of a Hungarian eurobeat hit

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

sorry, today's kids only watch chitty chitty bang bang when it's a Japanese cover of a Hungarian eurobeat hit

Being used as the backing track to a tiktok

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Azubah posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat to make the opposition's life miserable.

Bankston was having a good Ole time on knowledge fight today

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Tunicate posted:

Toot sweet, motherfuckers.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Can't recommend the latest kf episode enough for people who are frustrated with the bankruptcy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i love the fact that chuds are so dumb and stubborn they will keep doubling down so when they lose, they're likely to lose twice or more

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It really is amazing when it works out the way it should. :allears:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Dalmuti posted:

Bankston was having a good Ole time on knowledge fight today

I want to see his Skyrim garden so much.

I also want a Skyrim garden which is just a shitload of flowers and other gorgeous plants in the middle of a forest with a mysterious sacrificial altar in the middle.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

I want to see his Skyrim garden so much.

I also want a Skyrim garden which is just a shitload of flowers and other gorgeous plants in the middle of a forest with a mysterious sacrificial altar in the middle.

And a corpse.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

Mike Bankston is on today’s Knowledge Fight. He commented that six figure fines are rare for individual lawyers. Real deal consequences.

Yeah, according to Bankston it was an amount that's largely unprecedented outside of fines to huge law firms (read: not aimed at an individual lawyer), the kind of stuff you'd see with the law firms companies like Samsung use.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

squibble posted:

And a corpse.

Hey if that musty tome I found does the trick, it won't be for long.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Borscht posted:

Can't recommend the latest kf episode enough for people who are frustrated with the bankruptcy.

Could you give a short summary?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I haven't listened to all of it yet, but from what I heard:

-Bankston is kind of a weirdo in the good way (Skyrim garden and owns a lizard that is described as a "sausage with legs")
-The bankruptcy hearings are taking forever because Alex keeps loving things up and draging things out through incompetence
- Alex is probably going to have another lawsuit brought against him by one of the plantiffs in the first? trial because of how he kept openly lying everywhere about what she said/did during the trial

Did I miss anything major? I was kind of dozing off on the bus ride while listening to it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Randalor posted:

I haven't listened to all of it yet, but from what I heard:

-Bankston is kind of a weirdo in the good way (Skyrim garden and owns a lizard that is described as a "sausage with legs")
-The bankruptcy hearings are taking forever because Alex keeps loving things up and draging things out through incompetence
- Alex is probably going to have another lawsuit brought against him by one of the plantiffs in the first? trial because of how he kept openly lying everywhere about what she said/did during the trial

Did I miss anything major? I was kind of dozing off on the bus ride while listening to it

He made fun of Reynal a lot and there was a bunch of general, bird’s-eye-view law stuff that I always think is interesting.

And he got him and his son mini-dirt bikes which sounds pretty rad for the kid.

Also former Info Wars correspondent “Rambo” Joe Biggs just got convicted for sedition lol.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If I understood right, it sounded like the plan was that Free Speech Systems was largely staying in operation in order to keep a good flow of cash going to the plaintiffs.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

univbee posted:

If I understood right, it sounded like the plan was that Free Speech Systems was largely staying in operation in order to keep a good flow of cash going to the plaintiffs.

From what I understood, that's usually the plan with settlements, but in this case they may still reserve the right to straight-up seize assets so that's not off the table.

Then again, Bankston was completely clear that he can't predict things because bankruptcy court is way out of his own expertise.

Randalor posted:

They also talked about what happened with the "retraction" video and what it really means from a legal perspective. I liked that.

There was a lot of speculation as to who Alex Jones is as a person that would think to create THAT video and how it was really like being in a courtroom or deposition room with him that was interesting but also was some of what we already knew.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Everyone on the podcast agreed Alex jones is the most complicated stupid person they’ve ever encountered and bankston got psyched himself into thinking jones was a genius for a part of the trial because of how the stuff he did made no sense.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

yook posted:

Everyone on the podcast agreed Alex jones is the most complicated stupid person they’ve ever encountered and bankston got psyched himself into thinking jones was a genius for a part of the trial because of how the stuff he did made no sense.

Yeah if my opponent metaphorically shot thier own dick off, I'd stop and be worried for a minute that I was missing something.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I have a serious question for lawyers here: What is the objective benefit of delaying trials with shenanigans like this? I can't name them all but it seems in living memory these types of stall tactics seem to consistently blow up in their faces. Is there a good reason for this beyond just having lovely uncontrollable clients you can't wrangle?

In this particular case I'd have to think Alex has a small hope that one of his fans will flip out and kill everyone involved

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Fell Mood posted:

Yeah if my opponent metaphorically constructed a byzantine rube Goldberg process utilizing DHL, several properties, the Dutch East India Company's charter and constitution, Area 51 and a shotgun to shot their own dick off, I'd stop and be worried for a minute that I was missing something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

a dollar tomorrow is worth less than a dollar today, and if you're going to lose a lot of money you'd rather lose it tomorrow than today

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

evilweasel posted:

a dollar tomorrow is worth less than a dollar today, and if you're going to lose a lot of money you'd rather lose it tomorrow than today

Isn't there accrued interest on this? I mean, he can't escape the judgment and the longer he holds off the more he has to pay up.

I know that doesn't matter if you don't get any money anyway, but Jones really seems to think he can get out of this just by pulling something stupid, all based on what he half-knows about the law.

I mean, multiple lawyers have said he basically calls the shots, and it wouldn't surprise me if he thinks he can get out of it just by declaring bankruptcy.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm still bummed we never got the painting show :smith:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

*as well as the multitude of other answers*

I legitimately expected more than the simple and obvious answer. Walking a mile in Mark's shoes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's jjjjuuuuussssstttttt possible that Alex Jones is a delusional narcissist with brain problems.

As a working hypothesis I think you'll find it explains things perfectly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Froghammer posted:

I'm still bummed we never got the painting show :smith:

Bankston certainly screwed us.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dollar for dollar Jones is wrong

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The bankruptcy is moving slow but because there's only so many bankruptcy lawyers out there and they are extremely concerned with maintaining good relations with the small number of judges in bankruptcy court, Alexander's lawyers are not seeking to gently caress with the system but instead are acting in good faith.
Bankston himself says he does not understand bankruptcy court especially what is going on currently
Alexander will not be happy with the result
If Alexander really wants to go ham, he could gently caress with the process so badly that the bankruptcy is denied and then state courts would settle the matter which would be sheriff's deputies showing up to the homestead and taking everything leaving him "wearing a barrel"
Alexander will not be minimum wage poor but he is taking a massive hit and is extremely unhappy.

I was half asleep when listening so I'm guessing my accuracy is about 80%.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Thanks fellas, good summaries. I ended up downloading and listening in while doing some work. Great stuff.

Mark Bankston is a funny guy. "When I was a younger lawyer I was so much more aggressive. But after this trial nothing bothers me. I'll see something shady and be like WHATEVER! I've been down the river to see Col. Kurtz. I know what real madness is."

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 4, 2023

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Isn’t Bankston from Texas as well? I would imagine he and Jones would minimally get along for that reason alone, versus Mattei being from CT.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

red19fire posted:

Isn’t Bankston from Texas as well? I would imagine he and Jones would minimally get along for that reason alone, versus Mattei being from CT.

This is terrible logic. There's lots of people in my smaller than Texas state I want nothing to do with

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

mercenarynuker posted:

This is terrible logic. There's lots of people in my smaller than Texas state I want nothing to do with

As a fellow Texan, yeah. There's a lot of us who just want to chill and be friendly, enjoy tasty food, etc. You just can't see us because of all the brodozer trucks blocking your view.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

mercenarynuker posted:

Per Bankston himself, he got the vibe that Alex could at least tolerate him whereas he had a sort of neuralgic aversion to Chris Mattei

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

red19fire posted:

I had that same thought, too. Like, he may be an evil lawyer but at least he's a local guy who knows who I am.

Mattei is some arrogant liberal norther from Connecticut who's gonna try to tell me what I can and can't do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Again noting this is an atypical case, most bankruptcies do seek to have a set-in-stone plan, where once its details are finalized there's a precise indication of how much the debtor will be paying on a monthly or whatever basis. A lot of bankruptcy, especially personal bankruptcy, is aimed at people who mishandled their finances, possibly due to some misunderstanding or miscalculation regarding things like interest payments and the like, and they try to simplify the process into being as clear as possible so there's an actual goal to work towards and an "out". This is a bit different in Jones' case, of course, since the debt will follow him forever.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I did get a good laugh that normally in a sanctions case the lawyer passes the cost on to the client because they did it for the sake of the client, but since Jones is in bankruptcy the court/trustee/whomever would have to approve of such a payment, and L O L at them approving that for Reynal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Does Jones have enough money coming in, even assuming a bad to worst case scenario where he gets significantly garnished (but not having his property outright seized), that he can just keep doing his show from his studio as a vanity thing, including paying his current staff?