Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

:guillotine:

https://twitter.com/_nic_beuret_/status/1654055012178305025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
a few days ago i posted about the brand new jeff bezos whole foods closing in <12 months. Nordstroms, Saks 5th Avenue, and Anthropologie and a bunch of others all just announced closing there too lol

oh no where will we get overpriced pinstagram dresses and overpriced jackets.

all these are closing, good riddance. death to all retail, death to all food service

Xaris has issued a correction as of 17:50 on May 4, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i think it was in yospos where someone said anthropologie is bad+overpriced and were called sexist by computer touchers

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Xaris posted:

i think it was in yospos where someone said anthropologie is bad+overpriced and were called sexist by computer touchers

lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
my credit unions aren’t on any of the collapsing bank lists.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

I made a joke about yospos in this thread and someone reported back to the CJS thread about it and they got very mad

good normal behavior

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

fknlo posted:

my credit unions aren’t on any of the collapsing bank lists.

for now

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
some banks are too big to be allowed to fail

some banks are too small to notice them failing

and other banks, that list, are juuusst right

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xaris posted:

a few days ago i posted about the brand new jeff bezos whole foods closing in <12 months. Nordstroms, Saks 5th Avenue, and Anthropologie and a bunch of others all just announced closing there too lol

all these are closing, good riddance. death to all retail, death to all food service

none of those stores provide anything good or meaningful to humanity. gently caress em

Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

none of those stores provide anything good or meaningful to humanity. gently caress em

what, you've never needed to run out and grab a crate or a barrel on short notice?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
that's a shame about alexander book company and fog city news. those were some cool stores

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I'm pretty interested in what cities are going to look like after retail and commercial real estate falls apart. Just housing and restaurants/bars?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Raccooon posted:

I'm pretty interested in what cities are going to look like after retail and commercial real estate falls apart. Just housing and restaurants/bars?

considering how much of a tax base they are for city revenue, look to 1970s NYC

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
at least we have a new charles bronson to make more death wish movies

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Raccooon posted:

There's still a need for things like clothes and home goods and eventually real estate will be desperate enough to put rents low enough to where normal people could afford them again.

maybe. or hell will freeze over. who knows. nothing is rational.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm receiving word that Crate and Barrel doesn't sell crates or barrels. hosed up

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

I don't give a poo poo about stores either way generally but what I do hate is landlords jacking up rents and killing places that otherwise were doing ok, they killed a coffee and board game hangout spot in my hometown and that's hosed! Better a street is filled with a bunch of stores instead of being vacant and dead imo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xaris posted:

Aren’t all these stores ones that have been hemorrhaging money now for years because they suck? Must be the leftist policies making them closer and not underperforming retail chains saving money by closing down stores in one of the most expensive areas to rent a store on the planet

Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't give a poo poo about stores either way generally but what I do hate is landlords jacking up rents and killing places that otherwise were doing ok, they killed a coffee and board game hangout spot in my hometown and that's hosed!

if it goes unrented it's a write off to shelter other income, no biggy

Morbus
May 18, 2004

well im sure nobody will ever produce & ship buggy code as long as it saves them money

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

considering how much of a tax base they are for city revenue, look to 1970s NYC

can I get an infographic on this

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Stereotype posted:

So Powell just kept raising rates in order to increase unemployment except there's not enough people to work since they all died of covid and so he just kept increasing them until all the banks failed lmao

have to say im pleasantly surprised that Capital's Big Plan To Discipline Labor has so far mostly involved getting my managers laid off and collapsing banks

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Raccooon posted:

welcome to the world where local government either directly or indirectly rents at asking price

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

talk to the french to learn one weird trick to fixing that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't give a poo poo about stores either way generally but what I do hate is landlords jacking up rents and killing places that otherwise were doing ok, they killed a coffee and board game hangout spot in my hometown and that's hosed! Better a street is filled with a bunch of stores instead of being vacant and dead imo

Landlords in general are just parasitic drag on the whole economy. Business mostly rent their spaces and then they have to keep up with the rentier's demands for more money for absolutely no value-add, meaning they pass those costs on and go out of business because folks don't want to or can't pay the higher prices.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raccooon posted:

Like what the downtowns of countless small towns in rural places look like but writ large.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
https://twitter.com/BradTroemel/status/1599468962370048001

funny guy

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

Landlords in general are just parasitic drag on the whole economy. Business mostly rent their spaces and then they have to keep up with the rentier's demands for more money for absolutely no value-add, meaning they pass those costs on and go out of business because folks don't want to or can't pay the higher prices.

There have been multiple businesses in my mid sized city that have closed down in the last year or so with the news article about it straight up saying "Our lease was up and with the new terms it just didn't make sense to stay open". Plus a few other businesses that moved from 20+ year old storefronts to a new location across town because of rent hikes.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
bread and circuses?

best I can do is murder and murder

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s not unusual to have flagship stores in cities which lose money consistently thanks to the insane rent if you can make it up on lots of store elsewhere, but what’s the point if even those stores lose money because teens have no disposable income anymore

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koirhor posted:

bread and circuses?

best I can do is murder and murder

Can we at least settle for poison bread and murder clowns?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

uniqlo airism undershirts and undererwear are p good

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thoguh posted:

There have been multiple businesses in my mid sized city that have closed down in the last year or so with the news article about it straight up saying "Our lease was up and with the new terms it just didn't make sense to stay open". Plus a few other businesses that moved from 20+ year old storefronts to a new location across town because of rent hikes.

Any time a store is like "oh we're closing because of crime" If you look just a shade deeper, its always this or the store workers were unionizing (starbucks closed a ton of stores because of this but tried to claim it was CRIME)

Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Every time a restaurant closes down here the article covering it says "couldn't afford rent, couldn't find workers" and the stories somehow get twisted into "the homeless are scaring diners away"

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
lol

lmao

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

putting a million high priced stored in the part of the city no one goes to after work or on the weekends then blaming the homeless and the death of cities on your failing business

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/sad-mex-why-a-popular-oakland-eatery-just-shut-down-after-30-years/

quote:

Bill Fuller, president of big Burrito, cited ongoing staffing shortages for the shutdown.

The leased location, which is roughly 1,000 square feet, took a hiatus last spring so employees could be sent to other company sites that were also struggling due to labor issues. It reopened in October 2022, but couldn’t operate seven days a week because there weren’t enough people to cover shifts, even when managers were brought in from elsewhere to help in the kitchen.

“We’re sad,” Full explains. “People have said to me ‘You’re surrounded by 50,000 college students and you couldn’t staff a tiny restaurant?’ A tiny restaurant like that doesn’t work if you’re not open all the days and nights you’re supposed to be. If you have a staff of six or seven people and someone calls off, you can’t run the restaurant. Why continue to bang our heads here?”

This somehow became "it's too dangerous to go into the city to eat"

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Any time a store is like "oh we're closing because of crime" If you look just a shade deeper, its always this or the store workers were unionizing (starbucks closed a ton of stores because of this but tried to claim it was CRIME)

Yeah Starbucks did this in my area to stores that had no crime in the area and had tons of customers every day

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s not unusual to have flagship stores in cities which lose money consistently thanks to the insane rent if you can make it up on lots of store elsewhere, but what’s the point if even those stores lose money because teens have no disposable income anymore

They don't care if teens writ large have no money, they just need a bunch of whales from rich families and wealthy tourists arbitraging luxury goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if theyre closing because of "crime" and its not unionization, its absolutely because the space is too expensive (insurance and/or rent) and they just want to jerk off cops and not look like failures