Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

"While you and the rest of your net society friends are arguing about 'meemays' or whatever they are, my special team has been quietly dealing with the original IP holders. That's right Harry, by the next time you look out the window we'll already be six months into production of Disco Elysium: The Movie: How Harry Got His Groove Back. And you, Lieutenant, will have your own spinoff, the Kitsuragi Paranatural Sequence Killer Hour, where you solve crimes with a talking cartoon ghost dog. It's all coming together, Harry. Why should we be stuck doing nothing with this great property fans love just because some stuck up creatives threw a tantrum and tried to take their ball and go home? They had one good idea forty years ago and they think they get to own it forever! Well, not on my watch, Harry."

:lmao:

(Except it should obviously be "milieu friends")

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm really not sure what needed to be added after a week in revachol. Gun turret sequence where you're shooting down Moralintern/Union airships based on your alignment score as you drive to Jamrock??

Evrart: ...!

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The HDB podcast.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Feat. Kim or Cuno but not both.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Thought Cabinet Gacha.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Thought Cabinet Gacha.

isn't that that ADHD under capitalism

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

sebzilla posted:

What are your favourite locations in the game, for whatever reason?

Pretty sure mine is Neha, the Dicemaker's studio. It's such a calm and pleasant spot, and the idea of being quietly industrious in a space that nobody else knows exists appeals to me. I think the soundtrack has a lot to do with it too, and Neha herself with her gentle amusement at all Harry's *Entity* stuff. One of the few places I'm actively sad to leave each time.

This makes me really happy. I'm a goldsmith by trade and her feelings towards the jewellery industry resulting in her switch to making custom dice because there's a small demand and she likes making things for people hits very, very close to both me and how I feel about my life. It is incredible how spot on it is and I can only believe the creators know jewellers in their lives.

There are so many amazing places in this game I love, the church, the boardwalk, the Whirling, but my favourite place and character will always be the dicemaker and her studio. Even the anxiety I get from Harry fumbling the dice is a daily occurrence of me dropping things and going "oh poo poo where did it go". How she hasn't sealed those floor cracks is beyond me!

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 5, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

This makes me really happy. I'm a goldsmith by trade and her feelings towards the jewellery industry resulting in her switch to making custom dice because there's a small demand and she likes making things for people hits very, very close to both me and how I feel about my life. It is incredible how spot on it is and I can only believe the creators know jewellers in their life.

What's your most *ostentatious* die?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This makes me really happy. I'm a goldsmith by trade and her feelings towards the jewellery industry resulting in her switch to making custom dice because there's a small demand and she likes making things for people hits very, very close to both me and how I feel about my life. It is incredible how spot on it is and I can only believe the creators know jewellers in their life.

Serious question - how finicky is goldsmithing? I can only imagine you must need very steady hands.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Samovar posted:

Serious question - how finicky is goldsmithing? I can only imagine you must need very steady hands.

My youngest sibling is a jeweller who sometimes works with gold, and while their hands are definitely steadier than mine, there are also a lot of specialized tools that help take the guesswork out of the process.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

How she hasn't sealed those floor cracks is beyond me!

It's simple: Neha does not drop things.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

sebzilla posted:

What's your most *ostentatious* die?

Like Neha I enjoy matching the showy nature of the drunk amnesiac cops that come to me to buy things.

Samovar posted:

Angry Diplomat posted:

My youngest sibling is a jeweller who sometimes works with gold, and while their hands are definitely steadier than mine, there are also a lot of specialized tools that help take the guesswork out of the process.

Basically this yeah, the funny part is I was singled out for having shaky hands as a kid. Mostly it's a lot of bracing and specialized tools/workbench. I don't consider it any more finnicky than building/painting warhammer or other small tedious things.

For related content, an acquaintance of mine in the gemcutting world actually is a custom die maker and does some very cool stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/hedron.rockworks/?hl=en

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Doing a high int/mot, low phys/psy run and I finally got:

The "discover the bullet" check without having to store the body and checking it again and again over the following days. That scene was legitimately so satisfying. On almost every run, I'm pretty sure everyone gets the basic glimpses in to Harry's former detective prowess. The visual calculus check to figure out where your shoe went, figuring out what happened to the smashed fence, etc. Little bits here and there from the skill tips that pop up about logic and trapping suspects into rhetorical traps to get info out of them. But This scene is the first one I've experienced where Harry fully shines and loses himself in his own expertise.

Add to that the fact that even Cuno and Cunoesse shut the gently caress up and are in awe about what's happening just brings the gravity of the situation fully to bear.

And also hearing Kim say "This was REALLY good work Detective" is so heart warming.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I found a demo for Sovereign Syndicate, a Disco-Elysium-like set in a magic/steampunk Victorian London where you're a minotaur (???); the voices in your head are primarily depictions of the four humours, which also serve as your attributes. Rather than rolling dice you draw from a tarot deck, which gets depleted as you make attempts (eventually shuffled once completely drawn). It's really interesting.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Omg Kim has some amazing responses to Harry's bullshit, I think I really love this dang game.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Electro wants to gently caress pigs. DO NOT gently caress PIGS.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

KORNOLOGY posted:

Electro wants to gently caress pigs. DO NOT gently caress PIGS.

That's how you end up as the prime minister of the UK, and that is a fate best avoided.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Hehehe, but wrong Pigs.

sertman
May 23, 2007

If you see me doing anything other than fellating

:allears: MLG players :allears:

then please direct me back to the nearest Halo thread so I can continue to threadshit and make it unbearable to read, TIA!

DreadUnknown posted:

Omg Kim has some amazing responses to Harry's bullshit, I think I really love this dang game.

This is the best part of the game for me if I'm playing through with a full physique hedonist addict. His responses when you do things like take the boots, wear them in front of him, and then tell him about it are gold

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

sertman posted:

This is the best part of the game for me if I'm playing through with a full physique hedonist addict. His responses when you do things like take the boots, wear them in front of him, and then tell him about it are gold

You may need some amount of drama though.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Oof. I believe I took option 2 the most recent playthrough that hit this bit, and Kim's :wtc: reaction was bad enough on that conversation branch - I can't see it going any better there either.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I didn't know about this bit, and discovering that it's one of the few ways outside of becoming a racist fascist that Kim openly cusses you out is amazing

sertman
May 23, 2007

If you see me doing anything other than fellating

:allears: MLG players :allears:

then please direct me back to the nearest Halo thread so I can continue to threadshit and make it unbearable to read, TIA!

EorayMel posted:

You may need some amount of drama though.

Ooh on my next playthrough I'll definitely go more cerebral because I haven't seen that tree in any of my playthroughs. Right now I'm just letting electrochemistry and half light decide everything for me and going full fascist. Harry is so shameless that it's fantastic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Making the guy beat his wife, and telling the twins that suicide was okay made me feel so awful that I reloaded the game. Kim gets angry at you if you say that to the kids.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Do we know the general color scheme for Wild Pines? I know that the Union's is Orange / White, but what about Wild Pines?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wrr posted:

Do we know the general color scheme for Wild Pines? I know that the Union's is Orange / White, but what about Wild Pines?

Green, I believe.

The Green containers in the yard are being replaced with Red.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Found something that was both dumb, but fun.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That was nice.
Are there any more fun TV edits people want to link?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
lol did they actually steal the ip?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Apparently the book has a translation now? Been seeing it around, not sure how good it is yet though. On the reddit at least.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Samovar posted:

Found something that was both dumb, but fun.

note perfect

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

GlyphGryph posted:

Apparently the book has a translation now? Been seeing it around, not sure how good it is yet though. On the reddit at least.

Want to share a link because I'm finding nothing via google.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/12ysbl1/sacred_and_terrible_air_full_professional/

Found it on Reddit

Crain fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 4, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wasn't sure if linking was kosher since I have no idea what the IP status is.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Seems like a professional translation in the sense that someone paid for it to be done, but probably not professional in the sense that the translator's main job is translating literature.

Definitely still gonna read it, but my expectations aren't sky high. Hopefully one day it still gets an official translation, but ideally one that doesn't screw Kurvitz any worse.

(Generally speaking, it's always worth reading two different translations of something if you can manage it. It lets you sort of triangulate the original text.)

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Crain posted:

Want to share a link because I'm finding nothing via google.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/12ysbl1/sacred_and_terrible_air_full_professional/

Found it on Reddit

3 chapters in, the translation is definitely rough around the edges and bits of it have been really hard to parse, but the setting is a strong as ever and the overall tone definitely feels like the same as DE. Except maybe the humor, mostly because so far none of the characters are human dumpster fires like our boy Harry. I imagine the humor (assuming there is any in this book) is gonna largely get lost with a translation this unpolished.

Anyway I'm really enjoying it, thanks for posting the link!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Seems like a professional translation in the sense that someone paid for it to be done, but probably not professional in the sense that the translator's main job is translating literature.

Definitely still gonna read it, but my expectations aren't sky high. Hopefully one day it still gets an official translation, but ideally one that doesn't screw Kurvitz any worse.

(Generally speaking, it's always worth reading two different translations of something if you can manage it. It lets you sort of triangulate the original text.)

yeahhhhh. I'm a technical writer and I'm noticing a lot of stuff that an "English speaking editor" should have really caught. Like not even esoteric weird poo poo that might be getting screwed with due to weird translation, stuff like using a possessive "s" correctly.

At the very least it's something. And maybe it brings more light to the situation going on if it spreads enough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The possessive apostrophe is rarely used correctly by actual English speakers. I'd honestly be surprised if they did worse given most translators give some thought to convention while most Englishers just say "gently caress it, sounds good to me"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The possessive apostrophe is rarely used correctly by actual English speakers. I'd honestly be surprised if they did worse given most translators give some thought to convention while most Englishers just say "gently caress it, sounds good to me"

Yes, however a "professional editor" should provide a better end product than something you'd get from the average English speaker. Makes me wonder just what level of "professional" they paid for, and I'm thinking that level was simply: "was paid". Hell, even pumping the text into MS Word would flag that for you. Remember, they paid for a Translator and an Editor separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The intro to chapter 1 is terrifying if I read it correctly.