Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i have an ipad signed by woz

apparently he'll sign your guillotine too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

just read leviathan and get it done with already

seeing this made me remember that i wrote a 20 or more page paper on this in college but cant recall a single thing about it except what the book cover looked like

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that book cover was from the original first printing and went so fuckin hard essentially all later printings used it

big dude made of little dudes. big dude made of little dudes. big dude made of little dudes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

big dude made of little dudes. big dude made of little dudes. big dude made of little dudes

card board box

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the people speaking up making me love ai more and more.

well, not at all true, just grandpa scared of shadows and extremely limited change

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, not at all true, just grandpa scared of shadows and extremely limited change

people aren't scared of "ai" they're concerned about greedy people conflating black box algorithms trained on biased data for "intelligence" and using them to make the world a worse place

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

people aren't scared of "ai" they're concerned about greedy people conflating black box algorithms trained on biased data for "intelligence" and using them to make the world a worse place

sorry, i did not consider woz feelings, his continued livelihood threatened by too many tensor multiplications~~~

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he lives by capital earnings, he will make gobs of cash from any tensor mults

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

sorry, i did not consider woz feelings, his continued livelihood threatened by too many tensor multiplications~~~

:rolleyes:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

buddy it's a video of the woz calling for the death of the techie infidels on national television can't you just fuckin' enjoy it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

buddy it's a video of the woz calling for the death of the techie infidels on national television can't you just fuckin' enjoy it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

absolutely loving not, old rich fat tech rear end in a top hat celebrity expressing halfbaked opinions on tv (what even is the point being made here?). certainly not about to cheerlead.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

e: Yeah uh given the choice between calling somebody like bozos or musk an 'rear end in a top hat tech celebrity' or calling steve fuckin wozniak an 'rear end in a top hat tech celebrity' the choice is obvious. Also nice bodyshaming, god forbid somebody enjoy a croissant now and then

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat equations just out there stealin' jobs an' killin' people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

drat equations just out there stealin' jobs an' killin' people

we were just talking about the algorithm software all the property managers are using to set rental prices, so, quite literally, yes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
bet a whole lot of people were laid off by an algorithm too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, it is ai that is ruining housing in the us, if only no computers (other than the ones woz loves, they set good rental prices)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there are no good computers

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i love how this thread oscillates between "gently caress you for trying to control my life with a black box" and "what kind of monster neckbeard are you for expecting people to understand the tools they use"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

we were just talking about the algorithm software all the property managers are using to set rental prices, so, quite literally, yes.
yeah that's some pretty heinous-rear end poo poo. like how loving gleefully these assholes put the screws to the tenants is obscene.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but i think everyone in yospos understands that the mechanism loving renters over is not a recent development in ai.

not that recent developments in ai are not just garbage, but it is basically garbage enough that it has no chance of replacing humans as the integral core of the torment nexus.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

not really understanding who is angry at what anymore but like yes obviously the root of the problem is how capitalism uses the tools and a tool is not inherently good or evil BUT given the overall situation of things I think anyone would agree that the tools we're talking about - various flavors of AIs - are almost certain to be used in ways that are a net negative to society.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

not really understanding who is angry at what anymore but like yes obviously the root of the problem is how capitalism uses the tools and a tool is not inherently good or evil BUT given the overall situation of things I think anyone would agree that the tools we're talking about - various flavors of AIs - are almost certain to be used in ways that are a net negative to society.

in that the lowly paid clerks realizing the negatives can to some extent be replaced by "ai" possibly.

that woz video is garbage. do not derive your understanding of the world from that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that woz video is garbage. do not derive your understanding of the world from that.

wondering if there's any way you could be slightly more patronizing? like you're definitely up there but i think with just a little more work you could be really world class.

mystes
May 31, 2006

A lot of people in YOSPOS hate ai stuff and now a rich computer person is saying they hate ai stuff too.... can't we just enjoy that?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

oh yeah, it is ai that is ruining housing in the us, if only no computers (other than the ones woz loves, they set good rental prices)

this isnt about ai you incredible dumbass.

this is about half baked technological solutions packaged into gleaming tech futurism and forced onto the general public while the government tries its hardest to avoid any kind of regulation or - god forbid - solving some big societal problems by way of taxation or legislation instead.

things like amazon warehouses, uber and gig work, facebook and google and the enshittification of the internet. ai is just the latest tech demo meant to bamboozle fools, give vcs hardons and divert the publics attention from the externalities of the tech sector

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

4lokos basilisk posted:

you incredible dumbass.

indeed

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

dumbass moron bitch

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

absolutely loving not, old rich fat tech rear end in a top hat celebrity expressing halfbaked opinions on tv (what even is the point being made here?). certainly not about to cheerlead.

it's ok. it won't affect anything if youj laugh and enjoy it. it wont make the AI ghosts come get you or me or anyone. it is just a funny thing. that's all. 0 stakes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
we wont make fun of u for laughing and enjoying it. really.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

4lokos basilisk posted:

this isnt about ai you incredible dumbass.

this is about half baked technological solutions packaged into gleaming tech futurism and forced onto the general public while the government tries its hardest to avoid any kind of regulation or - god forbid - solving some big societal problems by way of taxation or legislation instead.

things like amazon warehouses, uber and gig work, facebook and google and the enshittification of the internet. ai is just the latest tech demo meant to bamboozle fools, give vcs hardons and divert the publics attention from the externalities of the tech sector

indeed it is not about ai, which is why it is loving infuriating that this is now the framing from some of the poorest thinkers of an era past.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

"person prefers past time as they remember it to the present" doesn't give much to derive an understanding of the world from

aka it's a clip of him saying he'd rather live in the 70s/80s/90s & that he believes tech has made the world worse

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

like at this point i am willing to bet that if you took the combined cash spent on the development of self-driving cars by google, uber, tesla, you could easily fund existing public transportation infrastructure in a way that drastically improves service quality and pays for itself as well as solving traffic issues

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

indeed it is not about ai, which is why it is loving infuriating that this is now the framing from some of the poorest thinkers of an era past.

dsyp

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the thing you were talking about with general parlance to mean something? i was using the same word but in a different sense, because you were using it wrong. heh :agesilaus:

mystes
May 31, 2006

4lokos basilisk posted:

like at this point i am willing to bet that if you took the combined cash spent on the development of self-driving cars by google, uber, tesla, you could easily fund existing public transportation infrastructure in a way that drastically improves service quality and pays for itself as well as solving traffic issues
Or if you, you know, took some of the money we spent paving the entire surface area of North America

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

4lokos basilisk posted:

entirely true and embedding a good deep truth, no aspect of which is technological

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its less than a hundred billion total, about, so the answers no, not with the dog poo poo value for money american public transit gets. korean prices, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean Cybernetic Vermin you're right wozniak is being dumb but who gives a poo poo. People were just posting it because it's a very YOSPOSy thing for someone who made a ton of money from computers to say

Every time someone says something like "gently caress AI" are you going to come in here and be like "actually AI is just vaporware so it doesn't need to be hosed :smug:"?