Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Relevant to the preamp talk, here are a couple of Aclam Dr Robert clones that I'm working on, which is basically a pedal version of the Vox UL730. That was a solid state preamp, with a tube power section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Armacham posted:

Relevant to the preamp talk, here are a couple of Aclam Dr Robert clones that I'm working on, which is basically a pedal version of the Vox UL730. That was a solid state preamp, with a tube power section.

I'm surprised someone went to the effort of diagramming/printing that but it's cool that it won't die with Aclam. I have a Dr Robert and it definitely nails the 1967 Beatles tone, but unless you're playing those exact songs it can be a difficult pedal to use. It's not really a great tone on its own (IMO), it's a great tone because it was used on legendary albums, if that makes any sense.

Speaking of great drives though, it's NPD day:

The CIOKS is awesome. My buddy brought over a Voodoo Labs and I was shocked at how much quieter/smaller this thing was. It can also do 18v on any port, and be extended. Wasn't that much more than a VL or a Truetone.

Initial impression of the Nordland ODR-C... my guitar teacher recommended I try one out, so I splurged and figured I could easily flip it if I didn't like it. Hello new favorite drive pedal. I don't understand why people don't talk about this more. This thing is amazing on the bridge pickup of a telecaster. Very extensive EQ options, and the touch sensitivity is wonderful. It was only so-so on the stock neck pickup, but I'm already not a fan of that pickup, so I need to try it out on a neck humbucker when I have time. I also haven't bothered stacking a bluesbreaker into it yet (ie. Browne Protein), which seems to be why most people love this circuit in the first place. I'll be playing around with this thing a lot this weekend.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Looks like a take on a Nobels overdrive and yea… those sound amazing on anything especially a Tele bridge.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Are you guys as excited for my new Tonika as I am? It made it safely out of Kiev and is now somewhere in the wastelands of New Jersey.

Have any of you guys ever played or tried to set up one of these old Soviet guitars? I'm pretty sure the dude takes off the neck to ship them and I can't imagine anything was ever set up very well to begin with, I'm excited to hear about anybody's experiences

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

luchadornado posted:

I'm surprised someone went to the effort of diagramming/printing that but it's cool that it won't die with Aclam. I have a Dr Robert and it definitely nails the 1967 Beatles tone, but unless you're playing those exact songs it can be a difficult pedal to use. It's not really a great tone on its own (IMO), it's a great tone because it was used on legendary albums, if that makes any sense.

My dad is a huge Beatles guy from back in the day, so he should get a lot of use out of it. And I might as well make one for myself if I'm making one for him too!

I'm just about finished with the enclosures. I'm going with a Blue Meanie theme.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Looks like a take on a Nobels overdrive and yea… those sound amazing on anything especially a Tele bridge.

Yep, the guy that invented the circuit at Nobels has refined and added features and sells them direct from Germany as "Nordland". I'm super impressed with it so far.

Armacham posted:

My dad is a huge Beatles guy from back in the day, so he should get a lot of use out of it. And I might as well make one for myself if I'm making one for him too!

I'm just about finished with the enclosures. I'm going with a Blue Meanie theme.

That's awesome! I didn't mean to sound like I was down on the pedal. I love mine, but it cost $300 to play some Beatles songs and it's just hard for me to justify keeping it for that since I'm not in a Beatles cover band or anything. I'll probably sell it, miss it, and buy one of those clones some day.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

luchadornado posted:

That's awesome! I didn't mean to sound like I was down on the pedal. I love mine, but it cost $300 to play some Beatles songs and it's just hard for me to justify keeping it for that since I'm not in a Beatles cover band or anything. I'll probably sell it, miss it, and buy one of those clones some day.

No worries! Yeah I think at $300+ I would have a tough time justifying it, but building two of my own only cost about $100 and a few hours of my time. If you ever do wanna sell it and buy a clone, hit me up and I'll build you one for cost of parts and shipping lol

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MJP posted:

I tried playing a B&G Little Sister and was stunned by how drat good the neck felt and how perfect the action was. Is there anything at all in the $1400 and below price range that has a similar neck and action? Closest I've found was some flavor of Stratocaster but it was just a tall-ish C neck.

I have a Little Sister from their made-in-China line. It's my favorite electric to just pick up & play. I don't know enough to make any specific suggestions, but it's definitely a thick neck, with a bit of a soft V shape to it, and it has relatively small fret wire. Since you mentioned the action, maybe the smaller frets is what clicked with you?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I made a stupid crossover thrash/hardcore EP about Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hF9NkEhQms
https://k-f-a.bandcamp.com

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

I have a Little Sister from their made-in-China line. It's my favorite electric to just pick up & play. I don't know enough to make any specific suggestions, but it's definitely a thick neck, with a bit of a soft V shape to it, and it has relatively small fret wire. Since you mentioned the action, maybe the smaller frets is what clicked with you?

Yeah, that's the same line I'm looking at. I am a bit iffy at dropping $1100 used on a made-in-China guitar but it could well be thick neck plus small frets that did it. I've been trying tons of other new and used guitars at GC and I haven't found the equivalent yet. The Strandberg I tried was interesting and really made some chords very easy to get to, but it is definitely gonna be a learning curve with the trapezoid.

So yeah are there any thick neck plus small fret guitars that cost less than $1100 new or used or should I just get the Sister and return in 30 if I don't like it? Bonus points for something comfortable in classical position, I simply don't have the arm length for rockstar horizontal.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hell yeah

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I never realized I’d never played a guitar with jumbo frets before a few weeks ago when I played my buddy’s old 90s Ibanez. What’s the point of them, they felt really weird to play on to me.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

TheMightyBoops posted:

I never realized I’d never played a guitar with jumbo frets before a few weeks ago when I played my buddy’s old 90s Ibanez. What’s the point of them, they felt really weird to play on to me.

idk i think something about bends

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

landgrabber posted:

idk i think something about bends

When I googled it it said it makes playing “more buttery.”

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
big frets are good. probably a bit less contact with the fingerboard. sort of like scalloping, but not all the way. plus you get more life out of them. small fret guitars don't even have frets, they are more like lil nubs

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Really appreciate the discussion about using a light touch and not squeezing the poo poo out of the neck, I had never really considered that over all these years and was indeed squeezing the poo poo out of the neck.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

holefoods posted:

Really appreciate the discussion about using a light touch and not squeezing the poo poo out of the neck, I had never really considered that over all these years and was indeed squeezing the poo poo out of the neck.

Yeah, pulling using your arm/shoulder instead of squeezing, especially for barre chords, is that "one weird trick" that actually works.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

for the F shape chord i just don't bother fretting the top two strings, since all those do is just double the fifth and triple the root-- which doesn't even really come through very much on an electric guitar. so i'll just mute them

so even though the shape might look the same, what's actually sounding is

X
X

instead of

and just not needing to barre those extra two strings really saves a surprising amount of strength.

worth figuring it out if you play acoustic or something probably but i find on an electric, especially with distortion, it's kind of pointless or even worse sounding to have a big voicing with a lot of doubled notes and stuff

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah, pulling using your arm/shoulder instead of squeezing, especially for barre chords, is that "one weird trick" that actually works.

There is some Paul Gilbert video where he mentions the arm/shoulder thing and how that kind of poo poo is verboten in classical guitar but really helps with rock and non-classical.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I usually drop the root and the high e and play it like a more fussy c-shape, -1233-

If I'm feeling spicy I'll let the high open-e join in for that sweet maj7.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There is some Paul Gilbert video where he mentions the arm/shoulder thing and how that kind of poo poo is verboten in classical guitar but really helps with rock and non-classical.

In classical you're playing on much lower tension nylon or gut strings so yeah whatever. Also I don't think classical position would make arm/shoulder pull work as well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TheMightyBoops posted:

some people like a thicker neck with smaller frets, some people like a thinner neck with bigger frets

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

landgrabber posted:

for the F shape chord i just don't bother fretting the top two strings, since all those do is just double the fifth and triple the root-- which doesn't even really come through very much on an electric guitar. so i'll just mute them

so even though the shape might look the same, what's actually sounding is

X
X

instead of

and just not needing to barre those extra two strings really saves a surprising amount of strength.

worth figuring it out if you play acoustic or something probably but i find on an electric, especially with distortion, it's kind of pointless or even worse sounding to have a big voicing with a lot of doubled notes and stuff
I do this a lot. Actually I do it not just with F but a lot of barre chords over the neck. But particularly with F because it's a pain to barre the whole thing and typically not necessary. I also vary with keeping the top strings in but dropping the bass notes to keep melodic phrases going and what not. Or mixing with bass guitars

higher pitch easy F
X
X

or

F over C

X

You can also do these structures and use thumb over to hit the root and that is called Jimi Hendrix

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I got a baritone ukulele last year tuned DGBE and that got me thinking a lot about chords without that low E or A string.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think it is what lg said: bending strings becomes very difficult on those short, flat frets. Some players don't use wide bends or even wide vibrato like others and tall frets give your fingertips the room to get slightly under the string which is required to hold the note through a bend that's 1 whole step or more. And some players like to swing 1/2 step vibrato when they are feeling it.
It's very frustrating to go for that minor third bend and have the string squirt out from under your hand. The note dies and suddenly all your momentum is gone.

...Just my fifty cents.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Armacham posted:

I got a baritone ukulele last year tuned DGBE and that got me thinking a lot about chords without that low E or A string.
definitely thought about getting a tenor guitar and tuning it this way because eh, I spent most of my time on the high strings anyway. It seems like it would be a fun experiment at least.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The Leck posted:

definitely thought about getting a tenor guitar and tuning it this way because eh, I spent most of my time on the high strings anyway. It seems like it would be a fun experiment at least.

The worst possible outcome is that you have another guitar

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

massive spider posted:

It does sound better in the loop but no one can convince me running a stomp box into your fx loop is convenient or was originally intended

This one is intended to be connected to FX return.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I run a KSR Vesta preamp pedal into fx returns all the time. Sounds amazing and an easy way to have a portable rig that sounds consistent.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am still enjoying guitar! I’ve mostly just gotten used to playing different scales though, plus done some spider walk exercises and hosed around on a blues scale a bunch. The lessons I’ve had so far have been rather theory-focused, which I appreciate but which also takes a good bit of thinking and is hard to give attention to when I still make dumb mistakes and my poo poo still sounds buzzy as hell. I’m worried that I’m somehow disappointing my teacher or that I’m not properly learning from him…it can be hard to tell what exactly I need to or should practice next. I might start writing down agendas for lessons and to-dos as well.

(Also IMO arps > chords on guitar, oh the twisting :gonk:)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

do any of you have a rc-500? im looking for a looper that's a bit more capable than the one I have which is one button and too short. The rc500 has a phantom power mic input which appeals to me that I could loop my acoustic with my SDC mic. And tons of memory so I can store stuff. But then I think maybe there's a million other ways to do the same thing. I mainly want to be able to detach a bit from my logic workstation for practice

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Parts for the partscaster finally started coming in. Despite estimated lead times of 8-10 weeks, the neck took 15 weeks, and the body is still being worked on. Oh well.

Neck is a Warmoth 9.5-14 compound radius maple, with rosewood fretboard and jumbo stainless steel frets. I had no idea if I'd like it or not, but I decided to try the Clapton "soft V", it feels really nice.

Hipshot closed classic nickel tuners. They're about the lightest ones I could find, because I didn't want neck dive with a chambered body.

This will cost money and time, so I'm being very careful and precise. Gotta align the tuners.

Unfortunately, the headstock is still several milligrams too heavy, so I decided to chamber the headstock a little:

Just kidding - I was super distracted with some junk going on in my life and my stop slipped, so I drilled right through the headstock. Fun! I tried about 10 different things, including sanding and mixing the sawdust with super glue and still nothing looked quite the same. I've got some vintage amber tint coming from Stew Mac and if that doesn't work, I'll pay a luthier to make it look better.

The big lesson learned here, and apparently it's a right of passage: installing tuning heads sucks. You need to use a specific sized drill bit, have a very stable stop (a drill press would be ideal), find the best fitting screwdriver in your collection, and then put parafin/wax on the screws. The screws Hipshot provides are junk and can't handle any torque without stripping out. Wax on the threads made them go in like butter.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

TheMightyBoops posted:

Here’s what I’m working on now, I know that the drums on the loud parts need to change. Any thoughts? Also if you wondered what the Joyo delay sounds like here you go.

https://voca.ro/14uIQDBQTT2J

i thought it sounded nice and vibey, but the gain of the recording needs to be higher, i could barely see the waveform in reaper.

i recorded some of my playing along with you, but i didn't get the results i was looking for. still, had this cool idea to share that came from playing the wrong chord E6/9 by mistake: x x 14 13 14 14

https://voca.ro/1aGI8gmc3Xde

darkwasthenight posted:

We obviously have a lot of amps and pedals sitting around at work and we're two guitarists and one drummer, so we wrote some music in our spare time and then went into the studio and now somehow we're opening Desertfest London on Friday which will either be brutal (good) or brutal (bad). Here's my contribution to goon music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QsfQyHQZc

I'm right channel guitar.

sounds dope

Pollyanna posted:

I am still enjoying guitar! I’ve mostly just gotten used to playing different scales though, plus done some spider walk exercises and hosed around on a blues scale a bunch. The lessons I’ve had so far have been rather theory-focused, which I appreciate but which also takes a good bit of thinking and is hard to give attention to when I still make dumb mistakes and my poo poo still sounds buzzy as hell. I’m worried that I’m somehow disappointing my teacher or that I’m not properly learning from him…it can be hard to tell what exactly I need to or should practice next. I might start writing down agendas for lessons and to-dos as well.

(Also IMO arps > chords on guitar, oh the twisting :gonk:)

thx for the update -- when i had my jazz guitar lessons, i didn't understand everything he told me at the time, but i ended up appreciating what he meant years later

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

Unfortunately, the headstock is still several milligrams too heavy, so I decided to chamber the headstock a little:

rofl i have unironically thought about doing this myself a few times

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i thought it sounded nice and vibey, but the gain of the recording needs to be higher, i could barely see the waveform in reaper.

i recorded some of my playing along with you, but i didn't get the results i was looking for. still, had this cool idea to share that came from playing the wrong chord E6/9 by mistake: x x 14 13 14 14

https://voca.ro/1aGI8gmc3Xde

Yeah I mainly play guitar so the mechanics of the recording part is still a work in progress. Does the gain on my interface need to go up and I need to re-record everything or can I just up the gain on the tracks in reaper?

Edit: yeah that’s a neat mistake.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 6, 2023

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah I mainly play guitar so the mechanics of the recording part is still a work in progress. Does the gain on my interface need to go up and I need to re-record everything or can I just up the gain on the tracks in reaper?

i just meant to increase the gain on your interface for next time, but this track is usable

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

ethanol posted:

do any of you have a rc-500? im looking for a looper that's a bit more capable than the one I have which is one button and too short. The rc500 has a phantom power mic input which appeals to me that I could loop my acoustic with my SDC mic. And tons of memory so I can store stuff. But then I think maybe there's a million other ways to do the same thing. I mainly want to be able to detach a bit from my logic workstation for practice

I have an RC-500. I've only played around with it at home, but I have a few thoughts:
  • There are a lot of options in the menus, but the little knob, buttons, and 2 line screen aren't great for getting anything done quickly, especially if you're trying to change more than one memory slot at a time. The Boss software is not very helpful, but thankfully someone wrote their own config editor: https://dfleury2.github.io/boss-rc500-editor/#/. Use that app to set up config files and then copy the files over to the RC-500 when it is connected to a computer.
  • All of the Boss loopers from this generation, which also includes the RC-5 and RC-10R, have 3.5mm MIDI in/out jacks. With MIDI you could add a bunch more footswitches to control functions on any of them. Footswitchable MIDI controllers from other brands come in a variety of sizes, depending on how much you want to spend.
  • Having two different loops on a single memory slot seems to be the real feature differentiator, beyond the additional footswitches and the XLR input. There's different ways to configure how those two loop tracks play, whether only when selected, at the same time, in sequence, etc.
  • The rhythm tracks do not sound great through a normal guitar amp speaker, and I get the impression that the RC-10R actually has more/better rhythm track options. The default volume on the rhythm tracks is also stupidly high by default, I think.

There are YouTube videos on it that go into a lot of detail about how to use it alone or with MIDI controllers. EytschPi42 did videos on all the Boss loopers.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
My dad would call this color Calf-poo poo Tan

80s Made in Taiwan Harmony H80-T. There's a greenish tint to that color that just doesn't show up in pictures. Also, check out those bridge saddles. ~35 years of never having the intonation set. I wonder why it has so little play wear?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man. Bass is fun. And hard.

But also, semi guitar related I finished mounting my guitars on my wall in my office. I was frustrated moving things in and out of cases so I bit the bullet and got it done today. Maybe now I'll rotate playing through different guitars vs just whatever is out of the case at the time.

Also ordered and installed a tortoise pickguard on the new jazz bass after tearing it completely down and cleaning it. Added d'addario coated strings and it feels and plays like a brand new bass. White on white was okay but the tortoise on white feels right.

I'm going to have to make some choices when I finish my dream telecaster, and my squier fat strat (refinishing my first guitar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

In classical you're playing on much lower tension nylon or gut strings so yeah whatever. Also I don't think classical position would make arm/shoulder pull work as well.

I physically can't play in rockstar position - I can play for maybe about ten minutes before my wrist starts to hurt. Classical position is about the only thing that I can do, or at least something close enough so the neck faces upwards. I'm able to do neck/shoulder pull, I just gotta remind myself to do it more.

I tried electric, felt cramped, switched to classical, realized I didn't really care about anything written for classical guitar (and flamenco is too loving much for a very real newbie) so after working with an Eart ergo guitar, came to realize it's just a matter of getting a guitar whose lower bout allows classical position playing. That plus the fat neck seems to really help. Gonna go pull the trigger on the B&G Little Sister, the question now becomes humbucker or P90.