Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Doomykins posted:

My WoL is a min height lady Xaela so I have to imagine that Asahi felt smug he could actually loom over me until I yanked him down by the collar and gave him a "lissen here u little poo poo" dressing down.

Min height Xaela's are extremely powerful just for this. Plus I'm a RDM so not only will I kill them but will look extremely cool while doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Someday throwing a person through a window will be the right thing to do and I'm willing to be patient.

Railing kill

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kheldarn posted:

Railing kill

you already get this in pvp maps if you're lucky

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Antivehicular posted:

Aren't there people just subscribed for the mahjong

I respect it tbh
https://twitter.com/PyronoidD/status/1432296111092510721

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FFXIV Mahjong%

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/FeristalJ/status/1654299565288202240?t=3YwRrCXZnjzksxbxOf6iOQ&s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyxvi/status/1654529311347740673?t=ETxWhb2qFgRx9K0KEpl4MA&s=19

Rest while you can, old man.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Kitfox88 posted:

Hey, potatos could do that too with a running headbutt!

1.0 they had two lalafell toss out some midlanders from the mining guild with serious air time. Don't underestimate potato power

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have to assume lalas have some kind of disproportionate strength, like ants.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Question that came up in my guild today: does anyone happen to know when Bloodwhetting/Raw Intuition picked up the ability to cast on other targets? The split between it and Nascent feels bloated and the hunch of "it made sense when it was just DR and heals on the tank's attacks, then everything else gets piled on the skill" was put out there. GNB's version for example just has one skill that can be cast on self or others.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I don't think Bloodwhetting/Raw Intuition can be cast on other targets, that's why Nascent Flash exists

e: they even share a recast timer

Potassium Problems fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 5, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I have to assume lalas have some kind of disproportionate strength, like ants.

clearly every spoken has roughly the same amount of aether (give or take for personal variance), lalafell are simply the most compact and thereby densest, giving their headbutts and tackles unbelievable power

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The split between Bloodwhetting/Raw Intuition and Nascent Flash made more sense in Shadowbringers when Raw Intuition was just DR for self and Nascent Flash was heals for self and DR/heals for a party member. But because the heals for self portion of Nascent Flash was so powerful in Shadowbringers, even if the party member didn't benefit at all from the DR/heals it often healed for more than what RI would have mitigated. So that's probably why they baked healing into RI/Bloodwhetting for EW. There's no real good reason why they're still two separate buttons though, Heart of Corundum shows that they can have skills change depending on their target so they could easily have Bloodwhetting still grant the heals on self even if it grants the majority of the defensive buffs to a party member if used like Nascent Flash.

My theory is that they just didn't want to change the buttons so they just left both at two. The abilities are in a prime position to be collapsed into a single button for the next expansion though. Intervention/Sheltron at least have some uniqueness in the reservoir cooldown system and Intervention's interactions with Rampart/Sentinel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Potassium Problems posted:

I don't think Bloodwhetting/Raw Intuition can be cast on other targets, that's why Nascent Flash exists

e: they even share a recast timer

That's what I meant. Nascent is the "bloodwhetting on another target" skill, but unlike some tanks it's split into two skills. And digging through old versions to figure out when that happened will help illuminate why. So I'm curious if anyone knows off the top of their head before I dig.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nascent Flash originally required you to cast it on another party member. which was a pain in the rear end and they removed that requirement in 5.3. then Endwalker added all the extra stuff, and created Bloodwhetting as the version you use on yourself and made Nascent Flash the one you use on other people.

basically Nascent was around first, that's why it's 2 buttons.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ah, the FFXIV wiki has Version History. I feel I really should have noticed that ages ago, would have made things a LOT easier when I've tried to look up old versions of updated skills. In comparison Gamer Escape just has "Nascent Flash has been added to the game" in its history.

Anyway, this came about because it turned out one of my guildies was still using the "use Nascent Flash" instincts she'd internalized in Shadowbringers and was wondering why the other tank in savages was taking so much less damage than she was.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 5, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Nascent Flash being superior to Raw Intuition in Shadowbringers also depended on which weaponskills exactly were used during the cast funnily enough. The heal at the time was based on the actual damage you did so you would get significantly more healing out of it if you used it during an Inner Release window as opposed to just some filler weaponskills.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

To be fair I main gunbreaker and I still have corundum on two separate buttons. I have it hotkeyed normally to use on myself and a separate hotkey with a mouse over macro for use on party members. Suspect many people do similar so while it's weird that warrior has two separate abilities I don't think changing that would necessarily reduce button bloat

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Who did those really in depth write up of the jobs over the patches a while back? Those were really good posts and I wish they were easily readable somewhere

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think I ever realized Corundum was useable on allies...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Pretty sure every tank's 25-ish second cooldown is, as part of their attempt to unify the toolkits so nobody was getting left out (for which warrior in dungeons is a weird outlier that they haven't figured out how to tweak without nuking). Really handy when doing a boss and the healer dies, you get to pick your favorite DPS to keep up and rely on your other cooldowns. And occasionally in savages using it on the main tank can be useful, though a lot of the time it's overkill unless you're going in early and undergeared.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Who did those really in depth write up of the jobs over the patches a while back? Those were really good posts and I wish they were easily readable somewhere

It was Hogama, in the previous thread. I keep looking those posts up to reference stuff every now and then. Here's the last one, which has links to all the others: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3892748&perpage=40&pagenumber=3367#post519675174

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Zack Ater posted:

It was Hogama, in the previous thread. I keep looking those posts up to reference stuff every now and then. Here's the last one, which has links to all the others: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3892748&perpage=40&pagenumber=3367#post519675174

Thank you!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for reminding me again I gotta get the last handful of patches catalogued, lol.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Double legend now, let's go. UWU was fun, less frustrating than UCOB but I think I liked the latter more overall.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Congratulations, I'll never do that because I can't play consistently and am bad at mechanics.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

alright, masked rose, whatever you're into

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's on-trend in Ul'dah right now! Don't kill the messenger!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Alxprit posted:

it's fantastic, i've saved so many p8s high concepts from inattentive healers with it

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Wooow I'm kinda late to the party myself

https://twitter.com/KENOASTRAL/status/1654539517645275136?t=8ko_wwtuiKe281Gtjxxr6Q&s=19

Thancred gave her the name, right?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Wooow I'm kinda late to the party myself

https://twitter.com/KENOASTRAL/status/1654539517645275136?t=8ko_wwtuiKe281Gtjxxr6Q&s=19

Thancred gave her the name, right?

Yes, he did. Although some people in the replies are pointing out Google Translate is wrong. As "my" in Latin is "mea" not "min".

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Besides, that's nothing when her real name is "Dat rear end"

Edit: To be clear, I know that this is also bullshit, but it is the actual google translate output.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 6, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

OhFunny posted:

Yes, he did. Although some people in the replies are pointing out Google Translate is wrong. As "my" in Latin is "mea" not "min".

Oh duh I've heard the term 'mea culpa' I should have known that

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Technically my is “meus/mea/meum”, you need to match the gender of the noun it’s modifying and- :goonsay:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Technically my is “meus/mea/meum”, you need to match the gender of the noun it’s modifying and- :goonsay:

Also the case. But looking it up, none of those are 'min'....

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Yeah this discussion could very easily devolve into that graffiti scene from Life of Brian, but in summary: Latin hard and notionally convenient translations of Minfilia that people on twitter get weird about are not necessarily reliable (especially as Thancred clearly does NOT have a fatherly relationship to her, it's far more brotherly)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thancred is only like 5 years older than Minfilia, y'all weird.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
[completely misunderstanding the conversation] They're roomates.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just remember you can't spell thancred without chad rent

what that means is a mystery, but just keep that in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I went into P8S for the first time in months yesterday to help a friend who was A2C on p1 and I'm surprised just how much muscle memory I retained of that fight.