Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
So I just started this a few days ago and so far it's pretty fun. Got Bailu as my newbie 5 stars and wow she's a pretty potent healer, already allowed me to beat some monsters I had no business winning against.

Anyway at what point can I expect the game to demand grinding? Anything I can do that doesn't involve real money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game will have account level gates for the story content every now and then, however its usually only a couple levels, you can usually resolve it by just doing a bunch of the sidequests and hunting down the treasure chests in the zones you have access to. once you're done with the story content in at launch you'll definitely be caught in the daily grinding loop to get to new levels of the side content like simulated universe and forgotten halls, if you want to keep playing. if you dont want to bother you can just spend 5 minutes logging in every day, autobattling some random grinding node, and logging out until there's new story content.

spending money for grinding purposes really isnt necessary and is in fact a waste.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Cheers, thanks for the reply.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

np. one thing to note is that naturally it takes more mats and stuff to level up characters as their level gets higher, so you ideally want to pick a core party of 4-6 people and just focus on them rather than spreading yourself thin. if you spread yourself too thin you might have to grind a bit to keep up with enemies, since every 10 or so account levels you raise your 'world level,' which means enemies all scale up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Karanas posted:

So I just started this a few days ago and so far it's pretty fun. Got Bailu as my newbie 5 stars and wow she's a pretty potent healer, already allowed me to beat some monsters I had no business winning against.

Anyway at what point can I expect the game to demand grinding? Anything I can do that doesn't involve real money?
Grinding comes in on these games anywhere that involves stamina. It gates your access to exp books and relics and upgrade mats and occasionally story progress, you only regain 6 per minute and if you're really bad with money you could pay to get more but its, an insanely bad value. If you just log on once a day to burn your energy and make sure you don't overcap too much, and maybe use the fuel items they give you plenty of if you're impatient, there's nothing you can't do f2p.

In Genshin the only content that was real whale poo poo were later floors of Spiral Abyss that numerically was just tuned to really value lots of built out S tier characters, but that's the epitome of optional content and also you could still do it f2p if you were smart, good at the game, and patient. Assuming the thing in this game is the same way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I somehow only now noticed that March's Skill also greatly increases the chance of enemies targeting the person she shields, lol. That's way better than I had realized at first. It seems like March can be used to create a sort of super-tank out of another character (though currently I just have her use it on herself since she has the highest defense).

Endorph posted:

np. one thing to note is that naturally it takes more mats and stuff to level up characters as their level gets higher, so you ideally want to pick a core party of 4-6 people and just focus on them rather than spreading yourself thin. if you spread yourself too thin you might have to grind a bit to keep up with enemies, since every 10 or so account levels you raise your 'world level,' which means enemies all scale up.

This first battle pass is going to help a ton with that (if someone gets it, anyways, which I plan on doing). Even at the end game the BP gives a ton of resources in Genshin (which will likely be comparable with this); being capped at lower levels will just make it even more bonkers.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Because It's Her Turn

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Please don't show off how much money you've wasted, it just makes me feel bad for humanity.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

homeless snail posted:

Simply do not watch videos about these games, in my opinion. The games aren't that hard and there's no opinion you're gonna hear there that you can't form yourself, and, also spare yourself a lot of dumb bullshit in the process.

I only watch videos of people listening to video game music and going "whoa, cool."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Professional musician is IMPRESSED by Star Rail soundtrack

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Please don't show off how much money you've wasted, it just makes me feel bad for humanity.
im assuming hes one of those guys who can write it off as a business expense because he works in market research or something

i hope so, anyway

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Do we know how many banners we have until Silver Wolf? I want her on top of Kafka but I'm sick of seeing every video about the game basically being "IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SEELE YOU ARE STUPID AND BAD AND SHOULD UNINSTALL"-level hype on Seele. :negative:

Seele is a launch 5* and will likely be good for a while but is no means going to be required nor is she the only "busted" character. Seele is good because she does a lot of damage and has a very good action economy. Welt, a standard 5* who can show up anywhere, basically completely bankrupts the enemy's action economy. Not getting Seele isn't going to be a make or break deal and I see more people posting clips of trivializing things with like Clara-counters or Welt-slows. Honestly roll only on the characters you want and don't feel like you are 'missing out' by saving.

Silver Wolf should be 1.1, likely 2 more banners and then her's after Seele (So approximately 50-60 days there abouts, unless they put her as the first banner of 1.1)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

im assuming hes one of those guys who can write it off as a business expense because he works in market research or something

i hope so, anyway

I didn't hit pity, or even half way to pity, on anything and only lost 1 50/50 and I do a lot of my rolling on mobile because I end up with a lot of gift cards from work incentive bonuses and stuff like that. It was mostly huge luck-sacking on Seele and if I was spending cold hard cash and not just gift cards that would have went to AL or AK I woulda stopped at E2.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yanqing is barely behind Seele in terms of DPS if you take her turn resets out of the equation (ie in a Boss Fight scenario for instance) and he's a standard pool 5* you could get at any time.

So yeah, it's not worth putting any stock in "this character is a MUST HAVE" or "this character is DOG poo poo" or other such nonsense.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

seele does look pretty cool tho. i like all the purple.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I got Bronya before Seele and simply decided I need them to be a power couple for the next however many years of gameplay

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 4 star rateups are not great, compared to the next banner as far as improving your roster. Tingyun is arguably more important than Seele in the long run.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Miss Pela is pretty sick tbh, but yeah Tingyun is gonna be a good mainstay

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

having tingyun to let me have clara's ultimate up very close to 100% of the time absolutely rules. help me mr. svarog

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I need to use Tingyun more but my element variety is distressing right now. I suppose it's not a hard and fast rule to wanna run 4 elements in a team (and in fact it probably becomes more optimal to double or triple up depending on enemy makeup in Forgotten Memories and stuff) but it still feels bad to my stupid brain to do so. Although the video someone posted a page or two back of Jing Yuan nuking stuff had him paired with Tingyun anyways so what do I know.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I just got my first 5* lightcone off the standard banner, just pulling from what I get from quests etc. It's Time Waits for No One which I slapped on Bailu, makes her beefier and her heals better and gives a sweet damage buff to anyone she heals, which is often 2-3 people with her skill and obviously everyone with her ult. Owns.

prob used up my luck tho

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endorph posted:

Note that this is more of an "as the game goes on" thing. In current content it only barely starts being a chore. Mostly noticeable for leveling up gear (relics), the materials for that are pretty sparse if you're trying to get everything to +12, compared to character levels and light cores. Also, leveling up guys you don't main isn't wasted, there's one side thing that later on starts wanting two full parties.

Be aware of it, but don't be scared to pivot.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's never a bad idea or wasted resources to level up support units, since they will almost certainly be applicable in pretty many every scenario for the forseeable future. You do probably only want to focus on a single DPS unit right now though, or one main and one backup DPS at max, since the endgame content will eventually need 2 full teams.

What starts to be painful from a resources standpoint is having a large roster and making the mistake of both wanting to level and actually use all of them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I recently learned that the name of the series is "Houkai" (崩壊) in Japanese, but "Honkai" is the intended pronunciation in every other region, as far as I can tell, including the original Chinese(?). The Japanese word "houkai" means "collapse" or "decay", so is "honkai" supposed to have a double meaning in this context, or is it a nonstandard (made-up?) reading that they abandoned for the Japanese release?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks for the sanity check, everyone. I guess I'm just getting annoyed by coming up short damage-wise on SimU world 6 repeatedly.

And yes, I know I could be patient and wait until TL40 and getting level 60 units, but if I was patient and reasonable I wouldn't be playing a gacha now would I?

E: I've tried with with various mixes of Dan, Sampo, Pela, Fireblazer, Serval, and Nat, and just haven't gotten close. I should've taken the "I barely cleared world 5 by the skin of my teeth" as a warning, not an invitation. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I stopped caring about world 6 when I learned there's an actual scaling penalty being lower level than the enemy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Thanks for the sanity check, everyone. I guess I'm just getting annoyed by coming up short damage-wise on SimU world 6 repeatedly.

And yes, I know I could be patient and wait until TL40 and getting level 60 units, but if I was patient and reasonable I wouldn't be playing a gacha now would I?

E: I've tried with with various mixes of Dan, Sampo, Pela, Fireblazer, Serval, and Nat, and just haven't gotten close. I should've taken the "I barely cleared world 5 by the skin of my teeth" as a warning, not an invitation. :v:

If you are slamming at World 6 already then you don't need to go for Seele, you're doing well with game mechanics and will probably be able to beat the hell out of things with your favorites and characters you want, so hold on for those. I know you already got your sanity check but this is a double one

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

the team save option needs work.
it seems to just save the character and not loadouts?
So I can't have one setup with physical mc/physical lightcone and relics and one with fire/tank relics ect.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

GateOfD posted:

the team save option needs work.
it seems to just save the character and not loadouts?
So I can't have one setup with physical mc/physical lightcone and relics and one with fire/tank relics ect.

You are correct and it does suck. Manual management :bang:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah genshin teams are exactly the same - "teams" are characters only, not relics/artifacts or weapons. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to change that either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MotU posted:

If you are slamming at World 6 already then you don't need to go for Seele, you're doing well with game mechanics and will probably be able to beat the hell out of things with your favorites and characters you want, so hold on for those. I know you already got your sanity check but this is a double one

Yeah, honestly, I fell in love with Silver Wolf and Kafka in the intro and even more with Kafka in world 3 because now I just want to shake her by the shoulders and yell "WHAT IS YOUR DEAL, SEXY MIND CONTROL ASSASSIN???" so hearing they're getting banners made me fall into a dragon-like hoarding pattern that has only very recently been shaken by "ugh, I'm still failing Simu W6 and Forgotten Hall 11" griping.

Seriously, it's appreciated. :unsmith:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, honestly, I fell in love with Silver Wolf and Kafka in the intro and even more with Kafka in world 3 because now I just want to shake her by the shoulders and yell "WHAT IS YOUR DEAL, SEXY MIND CONTROL ASSASSIN???" so hearing they're getting banners made me fall into a dragon-like hoarding pattern that has only very recently been shaken by "ugh, I'm still failing Simu W6 and Forgotten Hall 11" griping.

Seriously, it's appreciated. :unsmith:
All things in due time. This is the tao of gacha.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i'm already saving for whoever that is on the Trend of the Universal Market lightcone

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I almost died eating a bunch of hotdogs 10/10

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Well I won the coin flip and got Selee as well as Welt. Loving this game so far and haven’t touched Genshin since it came out. Definitely saving up for Kafka. I don’t know why but I have somehow ended up with E5 Hook. Is she worth building?

For reference, I’ve been running with Physical MC, Natalia, Welt and Serval as my primary team. Just finished the first planet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

sushibandit posted:

Take no risks, win no prizes.

Pill, but apparently yes. I also chose not to fight her during the confrontation, then she explained that it's either a poison or real immortality medicine depending on which recipe was used, claimed she always had my best interest in mind, and wanted me to just walk away rather than fight.

I have no doubt it will come up later in the storyline, but I'll take it at face value for now.

That is pretty cool that you can eat it. I thought it would automatically stop you so I picked the suspicious one instead, leading to getting it examined. No longer in my inventory so I missed out. Really regret that choice, especially because I let her walk away because I'm torn on who is in the right here. I'm happy that the writing is starting off so strong, even if I wish I could redo things now.

There's another choice I'm now stuck on, that is Clara's story quest.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

I almost died eating a bunch of hotdogs 10/10

Where is this hotdog brush with death, I must know.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Eimi posted:

There's another choice I'm now stuck on, that is Clara's story quest.

Oh my loving god, mood. I sat there for like a half loving hour fretting over it. :ohdear:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh my loving god, mood. I sat there for like a half loving hour fretting over it. :ohdear:

I am leaning towards Svarog's choice. It's hosed up, but it's like do you do the 'nice' thing that will kill the robot eventually, or the hard choice that lets it stay alive but lose something important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Where is this hotdog brush with death, I must know.

if it's what i'm thinking it is, then space liyue, the food stand south of the faction store