Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I lover that part in Dune where he goes "It's Muad'Dip time!" and then he Muad'Dips all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Dune Part II is now just a Super Sentai film

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nine-gear crow posted:

I lover that part in Dune where he goes "It's Muad'Dip time!" and then he Muad'Dips all over the place.
That part is largely between the first two books

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
He muad’dips at the end of Messiah. Then in Children he returns to muad’dab on others

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just muad'don't.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

(Although tbh I've actually kinda gotten used to Warp Me. Even the 'Maximum Warp Me!' during the finale crisis was a YEAH moment)
"Maximum warp me!" was great because it was like a stealth payoff to a running gag that you barely even notice until you think back about it as it's in the middle of a pretty drat thrilling action sequence. In the comedy cartoon!

Lower Decks rules.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

Which one will say "DYNO-MITE"!!?

Mayweather.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rACCFXU1A

:psyduck:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i refuse to believe anyone legitimately watched this all the way through

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I did

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

i had forgotten that the premise is that it's just normal human evolution sped way up, so canonically in star trek humans will eventually become horny salamanders

pretty sure they dont show this in the far future on discovery

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Animal-Mother posted:

i had forgotten that the premise is that it's just normal human evolution sped way up, so canonically in star trek humans will eventually become horny salamanders

It's easy to put that out of your mind because it makes so little sense that it feels uncomfortable to think about how little sense it makes

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Beeftweeter posted:

i refuse to believe anyone legitimately watched this all the way through

Yeah, I kind of had to after you posted this. Best part is the oatmeal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

It's easy to put that out of your mind because it makes so little sense that it feels uncomfortable to think about how little sense it makes

That's just how humans evolve under the evolutionary pressures of going way too fast in a weird spaceship. Other biological forms would've died.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair humans live on a bajillion planets now, there's probably one planet of losers who degrades into a salamander.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

back when Star Trek was optimistic about humanity's future

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

According to braga he was trying to do something with the whole "evolution isn't necessarily always 'upwards', it's just adapting to a niche and can go all over the place", but he admits he didn't make it work.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

According to braga he was trying to do something with the whole "evolution isn't necessarily always 'upwards', it's just adapting to a niche and can go all over the place", but he admits he didn't make it work.

A man in an oxygen environmental becoming intolerent of oxygen is incredibly dumb even on those terms. I think the episode wouldbhave worked better if they'd just dropped the evolution angle altogether and it was just out of control mutation caused by humanity crossing a barrier they were not meant to cross or whatever

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Well obviously, if it had been going up they'd have evolved into crabs. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No Dignity posted:

A man in an oxygen environmental becoming intolerent of oxygen is incredibly dumb even on those terms. I think the episode wouldbhave worked better if they'd just dropped the evolution angle altogether and it was just out of control mutation caused by humanity crossing a barrier they were not meant to cross or whatever

Oh yeah, if it was just body horror caused by transwarp something or other it'd be a much better episode.

Honestly, if you massage the script just a little bit in key places it'd probably be considered a pretty drat good one.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, if it was just body horror caused by transwarp something or other it'd be a much better episode.

Honestly, if you massage the script just a little bit in key places it'd probably be considered a pretty drat good one.

Paris should have gotten Strange Energies powers like Gary Mitchell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Personally I cannot wait to become salamanderized.

Voyager did do more body horror stuff than any other series, the Vidiians are difficult to even look at. That one episode where they take that guy's face....off.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Who knew that Trump already resembled a future step in mankind's evolution?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MillennialVulcan posted:

Paris should have gotten Strange Energies powers like Gary Mitchell.

They probably have a standard vaccine you get for that in Starfleet boot camp.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sash! posted:

They probably have a standard vaccine you get for that in Starfleet boot camp.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Greatest Generation guys discovered a 2019 William Shatner/Jeri Ryan b-movie by the Atlantic Rim director called Devil's Revenge which I watched last night and it's probably one of the worst/funniest things I've ever seen. It's free on Tubi, give it a shot if y'all got a hole in your schedules and feel like laughing at something.

Oh yeah, it was written by Maurice Hurley, despite being dead for years by that time, so I guess Shatner found the script in an old drawer and decided to shoot it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Likely it was just in development hell for a decade and a half and Hurley had been hired for five minutes at the start

EDIT oh my god you didn't mention it was co-written by the Shat and Hurley, that means they probably wrote it together 20 years ago (likely Hurley wrote while the Shat spouted stuff at him) and Shat's been trying to get it made for that long.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 5, 2023

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

No Dignity posted:

Since Tom was occupying every place in the universe simultaneously I think it's fair to assume that you get some sort of evolutionary advantage by being a horny salamander that can't breathe oxygen if you lived in every place in the universe simultaneously.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

At least one of the models of the larger amphibians was fully automated from its interior. Dan Curry remarked, "The most interesting thing for that is when they became lizards, that we had a little person inside a very large, constructed, physical lizard-like creature. And I was amazed that she was able to move around in there and get it to look so lively." (Red Alert: Visual Effects Season 2, VOY Season 2 DVD special features)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Thought Threshold was hosed up even before I learned it was live action vore

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

FISHMANPET posted:

Did TNG ever really treat him as an enlisted man? Like, he was "Cheif" in that he was Transporter Cheif which was a role, not a rank. I think he was even called lieutenant early on. It was really DS9 that decided to say Cheif was his rank and that actually he was enlisted, and really explore that.

TNG treats every crew member as an ensign out of starfleet. TOS had crew man. Real navy and army have enlisted and commissioned officer. You graduate high school and enlisted, you are a basic crewman. You go to college you start as an officer. Miles was a lt. Junior grade same as Worf or Gordi. In my head-cannon he is promoted to lt. Full grade same as Worf and Gordi but TNG and DS9 writers are not military people

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lt. Barclay outranks O'Brien in TNG since O'Brien always referred to him as sir.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They established O'Brien as enlisted in 4x03 family, before that he was treated as an ensign.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One of the best moments in the entire franchise is when Miles figures out he's about to have to call Nog "sir."

He's joking about it, but he also seems pretty proud of him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

No Luck Needed posted:

TNG treats every crew member as an ensign out of starfleet. TOS had crew man. Real navy and army have enlisted and commissioned officer. You graduate high school and enlisted, you are a basic crewman. You go to college you start as an officer. Miles was a lt. Junior grade same as Worf or Gordi. In my head-cannon he is promoted to lt. Full grade same as Worf and Gordi but TNG and DS9 writers are not military people

Also Ron Moore, at least, had some military background. He went to college on an ROTC scholarship.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MikeJF posted:

They established O'Brien as enlisted in 4x03 family, before that he was treated as an ensign.

If people don't enlist in starfleet how the gently caress do they join?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

They get a commission

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wesleywillis posted:

Nepotism :v:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

wesleywillis posted:

nepotism

e: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wesleywillis posted:

By having a trait that the writers find interesting enough to make them a main character.