Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does anybody know if legally Gavbot can appoint himself? It's certainly been done in other states.

I dunno if he could do it but he probably wouldn't want to since he can't hold any other public office as governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

slicing up eyeballs posted:

bbq sauce on a burrito? california thread sounding more like arkansas

We should kill him.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
A burrito needs only carne asada, cheese, and guac. Adding additional ingredients only serves to dilute the burrito.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

sb hermit posted:

I dunno if he could do it but he probably wouldn't want to since he can't hold any other public office as governor.

He terms out in 2026 so the senate (assuming that's what's being referred to) would be a good "safe" place to stay visible until 2028 or, if his pres bid fails, until he dies of extreme old age.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

A burrito needs only carne asada, cheese, and guac. Adding additional ingredients only serves to dilute the burrito.

That’s a quesadilla brother

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do not eat cheese so my Mexican food takes are already worthless but imo the best burrito is meat, rice, beans, onion, cilantro, wrapped in a warmed flour tortilla. Pico and salsa to taste, sometimes I like it and sometimes I think it overpowers the other flavors too much. I also don't like the thing where you put the burrito on the grill for a bit because it hardens the tortilla and it sucks to eat.

I've never heard of BBQ sauce on a burrito but I will occasionally hit it with some tabasco, particularly if it's a breakfast burrito.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Listen I have no strong opinions on fries in a burrito but what the actual gently caress are you trying to pull here, this is on the level of New York's hosed up burritos with like cucumbers and cream cheese.

Are those real ingredients in NY burritos or are you just trying to underline how hosed up this is

Please be the second one. Please

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wasn't there that infamous nyt recipe where they put peas in their guacamole

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sundae posted:

If one woman you date puts BBQ on her burrito, it's a her problem. If every woman you date puts BBQ on her burrito, it's a you problem.
if i had a nickel for every person Fozzy The Bear has dated that puts BBQ sauce on a burrito I would have more than zero nickels and that's a concern

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Wandering dangerously close to “yeah people have been dipping their burritos in ranch all the time, where have you been” and I don’t wanna go

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Highbrow Slick posted:

Wandering dangerously close to “yeah people have been dipping their burritos in ranch all the time, where have you been” and I don’t wanna go

Ranch dressing is a California invention, after all :sigh:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
A burrito should have only ground beef and shredded cheese on it, and to suggest anything else is classist or reverse racist or whatever half-baked, entirely unwarranted discourse

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
One of the best breakfast burritos I’ve ever had was Eggs, bacon, jalapeño’s, rice, red beans, sautéed onions, and some bbq sauce.

BBQ on a normal burrito? :wtf:

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

sb hermit posted:

He'd have to run for the senate seat for real in 2024, that might not be enough time to overcome the outrage of breaking his promise to appoint a black woman to the position. It wouldn't help his presidential chances either.

This is all still theoretical, since Feinstein (or the senate aides signing things and speaking for her) has not resigned and may serve out her term. Being out for months and holding up judicial appointments hasn't been enough to pressure her (or them) to step down.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Sivart13 posted:

if i had a nickel for every person Fozzy The Bear has dated that puts BBQ sauce on a burrito I would have more than zero nickels and that's a concern

You'd have a whole quarter! :lol:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sundae posted:

If one woman you date puts BBQ on her burrito, it's a her problem. If every woman you date puts BBQ on her burrito, it's a you problem.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
nobody on earth has ever put bbq sauce on a burrito lol

i think youre confused dude

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the physical barbecue device is hot, fire inside it, etc -> hot sauce is hot -> hot sauce is bbq sauce. transposed.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fozzy The Bear posted:

:pusheen:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have never seen a hole-in-the-wall mexican place have bbq sauce as a condiment.

To see a burrito and barbecue sauce on the same table at a restaurant, it must either be some chain american restaurant like applebees or denny's or someplace incredibly far from the border

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sb hermit posted:

I have never seen a hole-in-the-wall mexican place have bbq sauce as a condiment.

To see a burrito and barbecue sauce on the same table at a restaurant, it must either be some chain american restaurant like applebees or denny's or someplace incredibly far from the border

Don’t knock being far away from the boarder. Some of the best Mexican food I’ve ever had was at El Huarache in Holland Michigan. Mexican immigrant family owned place from Oaxaca.

Hell, some of the best Chinese food is in Boise Idaho at a tiny shithole called Wok-Inn-Noodle. Chen came over during the communist revolution and makes amazing food.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can have BBQ sauce in your fanny pack and or gun holster. I usually keep ranch in mine. It's really good on the thick French fries portion of the California burrito and you food purist perverts can enjoy your food stuffs sanctioned by the academy in peace away from my adequately sauced taste buds

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

Don’t knock being far away from the boarder. Some of the best Mexican food I’ve ever had was at El Huarache in Holland Michigan. Mexican immigrant family owned place from Oaxaca.

Hell, some of the best Chinese food is in Boise Idaho at a tiny shithole called Wok-Inn-Noodle. Chen came over during the communist revolution and makes amazing food.

I'm not saying it's all bad. I've had great Chinese food at Lone Pine. I'm saying that the likelihood of abominations increase.

For example, south Orange County has terrible asian food, despite its proximity to Los Angeles and other regional ethnic centers, which is likely due to the palates of the populations they serve. At least Irvine isn't too far.

There's likely great Mexican food everywhere you go. But I am talking strictly about the likelihood of finding a bbq sauce bottle on the same table as a burrito. It's not the same discussion.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FlapYoJacks posted:

One of the best breakfast burritos I’ve ever had was Eggs, bacon, jalapeño’s, rice, red beans, sautéed onions, and some bbq sauce.

BBQ on a normal burrito? :wtf:

Best breakfast quesadilla I've ever had was in San Diego and it had huitlacoche on it.

But since we're talking disasters here....

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Huitlacoche is so good, and it looks so rank. When I was working at a restaurant that would occasionally feature it in specials I would tell guests that it was "a kind of mushroom" and to only Google it after they'd tasted the tacos.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I've only ever seen it in places like Grilly's in Mill Valley, which as hermit said, definitely caters to the uhh local tastes of Marin :corsair:. There was idk a zapatista taqueria just down the road from them that had mole, yucca, and all sorts of other unique inclusions, plus named all their food after revolutionaries and Mexican artists. It owned and they had leftist literature and pamphlets all over the place, my boss did not like any of it and kept taking me to Grilly's. It of course closed and the 3/5 taqueria remains

HolHorsejob posted:

A burrito should have only ground beef and shredded cheese on it, and to suggest anything else is classist or reverse racist or whatever half-baked, entirely unwarranted discourse

:hai: I can still remember how good our middle school's hot lunch burritos were, which were exactly that + the small carton of ice cream with the wooden spoon. Also my mom would come to school to help make/serve them, so you can't beat that.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

going back on topic, i know we just had the diversion about newsome pledging to select a black woman if the senate seat opens up, but is it clear if there is a front runner or designated successor he has in mind? i'm assuming it's not barbara lee since it feels like she's way out on gavin's left

If he really wanted to do some puppet mastering, he could move Shirley Weber to Senator from Secretary of State (to which she was appointed when Padilla became senator), then appoint someone SoS, plus set up Weber's daughter who is an assembly member recently running for state senate well (after winning her mom's old assembly seat). He seems like a dude who loves favor trading, and having the most prestigious positions in the state basically all gifted by him seems like a good way to do that.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Kenning posted:

I think we all know that the only potential senator who could truly encompass the complexity and diversity of a constituency like the California Republic is Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow.
Only if Leland Yee is brought on as his chief of staff :v:

CPColin posted:

The year is 2048. The LA City Council has added representatives from across the state. Riots erupt in Fresno as twelve newly "elected" councillors are forced to take the oath of office and start saying "the 99". The Olympic flame rages on at the Coliseum with no end to the Games in sight. The Blue Line completes its extension to Las Vegas. An army of cloned Huells Howser eats Dodger Stadium. Mike Trout still has no ring.
:five:

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I read burrito discourse and desperately miss al pastor super burritos no cheese with meat shaved off of the log and pineapple cut fresh right next to the truck on Sunset Blvd at el flamin taco next to the rite aid with the cheap booze and then remember I now live in rural Washington state and only by the grace of God do we have an Alibertos down the street and a decent Latino pop.

I don't hate LA but when I read this thread I miss it a lil

Edit: oh and slather that poo poo in jalapeno avocado verde

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

sb hermit posted:

Under represented groups tend to have their voices suppressed and their powers diminished. With a national stage, it's more likely that their concerns and priorities can come to the forefront. I think if Gavin wants to appoint someone from a historically under represented population, who seems qualified to do the job, he should be able to do it. Representation has been the only argument I've seriously made.

There is no perfect rubric to judge anything and everything. That's why elections occur and we have people use their own judgements to elect a senator. Meanwhile, my opinion is to just let Gavin use his judgement until elections roll around.

I agree with this whole reply. Appointing someone qualified from under represented groups can only be a good thing. He will get his marching orders from the party and I'm sure there's a massive process behind the scenes with all sorts of maneuvers and machinations where potential candidates every personal quality including race and gender are strategically considered.

My only problem is the idea that before the process occurs, publically deciding and declaring that only a certain race and gender will be considered. It's a bad look, it feels like culture war fuel, and it's a tactical mistake.

Sydin posted:

Bringing it back to the senate selection, I don't have a problem with Newsom's pledge and the fact is there are multiple eminently qualified black women for the position and he will select from that pool. aventari mentioned Schiff and Porter as examples of qualified candidates who would be overlooked because of the pledge, but I haven't seen any explanation for why they are any more qualified for the position than, say, Barbara Lee. Maybe even if Newsom wasn't under pressure to tap a black woman for the seat, he'd still pick Lee anyway given her qualifications. And if he didn't, would the person he picked be because of 100% meritocratic reasons? Based on his last pick - a long time political ally and friend of Newsom - I'd argue that no, he'd just pick somebody that would help him with his future aspirations again. The alternative to Newsom's pledge isn't a purely meritocratic pick, it's some other public or backroom consideration instead.

This is interesting, I'd say not having a problem with the pledge is a far cry from thinking it's a good idea. And why do you think Newsom is under pressure to tap a black woman instead of for example: a hispanic woman (given that CA is nearly 40% hispanic)? I like what you said about the alternative to his pledge not being a purely meritocratic pick, because you're right and even with the pledge it's a bunch of backroom dealing just like it's always been.

I think I was not clear earlier in the thread and conflating a few different arguments. To bring it back, I'm not naive enough to think any government position is a metitocracy--but that it should be the ideal to strive for. It will especially never be a meritocracy in a senate nomination where Gavin has got this thing and it's loving golden.

--

I appreciate the few of you willing to have an adult discussion in good faith.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

aventari posted:

This is interesting, I'd say not having a problem with the pledge is a far cry from thinking it's a good idea. And why do you think Newsom is under pressure to tap a black woman instead of for example: a hispanic woman (given that CA is nearly 40% hispanic)?

cause he already appointed Padilla. also, again, Gavin doesn't have to appeal to Californians, he has to appeal to Democratic presidential primary voters across the US

either way, we should be less pissed that Gavin is ignoring qualified candidates based on race, we should be pissed that we're being denied an actual electoral choice of our representatives, since the incumbent appointee is all but guaranteed to win subsequent elections. both our senators, likely for a decade plus (depending on how old the next appointee is), would have bypassed the electoral process

if you want to bother with the purely meritocratic argument, "best senator" is basically impossible to quantify anyway. California has no shortage of qualified candidates, and you can make a reasonable argument that increasing diversity in a historically homogeneous body has more value than trying to tally up policy accomplishment minutiae

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 4, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

aventari posted:

This is interesting, I'd say not having a problem with the pledge is a far cry from thinking it's a good idea. And why do you think Newsom is under pressure to tap a black woman instead of for example: a hispanic woman (given that CA is nearly 40% hispanic)? I like what you said about the alternative to his pledge not being a purely meritocratic pick, because you're right and even with the pledge it's a bunch of backroom dealing just like it's always been.

Why will Newsom go with a black woman? Because while there have been 11 Hispanic senators and 11 Black senators in US history, Gavin wants to run for president and a Dem presidential run has South Carolina as an early primary state, and he's going to want to do well with the southern black population, hoping to get there from endorsements, and is relying on having already appointed Padilla all the political machine politics within California that already exist to get him Hispanic/Latino endorsements to try to help with Nevada. There are literally dozens of qualified candidates of all mixes of gender and race, but Gavin's presidential ambitions are best served by getting a future endorsement from a black woman, so that's what he will do.

As far as the politics aspect of a progressive or whatever, there's also the fact that any newly-appointed senator from California is likely to be quite progressive compared to the Senate as a whole and so the specifics of how progressive they are won't matter until they get enough seniority to be on an important committee and who knows how long that will be or what committee they'll be on, but regardless it won't help Newsom's political career, so he's not going to factor it in other than "progressive enough".

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I read burrito discourse and desperately miss al pastor super burritos no cheese with meat shaved off of the log and pineapple cut fresh right next to the truck on Sunset Blvd at el flamin taco next to the rite aid with the cheap booze and then remember I now live in rural Washington state and only by the grace of God do we have an Alibertos down the street and a decent Latino pop.

Flamin taco owns. I used to go to the one in echo park by the car wash, amazing pastor and every so often they shut down the Sunset/Alvarado intersection for a sideshow. Tacos Leo by the carwash on glendale brought in taqueros to make pastor from my favorite taqueria in Mexico City (el tizoncito).

I only lived in LA for like 8 months during the pando but goddamn did I eat a lot of burritos.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

dogg WHAT

Hawkperson posted:

Are those real ingredients in NY burritos or are you just trying to underline how hosed up this is

Please be the second one. Please

Are you in the right headspace to receive information that could possibly hurt you?

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

That’s a quesadilla brother

:hai:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

imo the defining characteristic separating burritos from wraps is that burritos are delicious, and wraps make me want to kill myself

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also california put cream cheese in sushi idk if we should be throwing stones in our glass house about ny's cream cheese burritosp

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Fusion food rules, and warping the traditions with radical new mixes is how you get delicious food. Y'all puritan eaters SMH

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

also california put cream cheese in sushi

I always assumed that too but it turns out that philadelphia rolls actually came from Philadelphia and weren't named that because of the cream cheese.

California rolls have fake crab, cucumber and avocado, so judge that how you will.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So many otherwise good sushi rolls ruined by insisting on slathering disgusting rear end avocado all over it. A legitimate tragedy.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

imo the defining characteristic separating burritos from wraps is that burritos are delicious, and wraps make me want to kill myself

Have you ever had World Wrapps? It’s really good OP. I like the Samurai Salmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

So many otherwise good sushi rolls ruined by insisting on slathering disgusting rear end avocado all over it. A legitimate tragedy.

Wow.