Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's a button or dropdown or something that switches it into view-only mode. I want to say it's in the upper right? Phoneposting so I can't easily check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Any linguists out there? My daughter is writing a short story for school about an Octopus who doesn’t fit in because she has 125 arms. Would that be a centumquadragintaquinquepus?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well octopus is Greek, so should probably be something like ekaton-ikosi-pende-pus. Latin has centi-pede as a guide so that would probably be like centivigntiquenqepede.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

once you get into the higher numbers, its not exact. centipedes dont really have exactly 100 legs and millipedes dont have 1000, we just call them that because they have a lot of legs and who wants to count?

so an octopus with 125 legs could easily just be a ekatopus or centipus or whatever, if you dont want an unweildy name

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

The one I came up with was based on https://www.omniglot.com/language/numbers/latin.htm, I just strung 100, 20, and 5 together. I think the complexity of it is part of the fun for her, it only gets referenced at the beginning of the story (and then uses the 125pus’s name from them on) but she was giggling quite a bit when putting it together. Ultimately it doesn’t matter if it’s accurate but she asked :shrug:

I also suggested 125pus but she shot it down. She’s super creative.

Edit: I bet she’ll love ekaton-ikosi-pende-pus, we’ll see when she gets home from school.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

The Pirate Captain posted:

The one I came up with was based on https://www.omniglot.com/language/numbers/latin.htm, I just strung 100, 20, and 5 together. I think the complexity of it is part of the fun for her, it only gets referenced at the beginning of the story (and then uses the 125pus’s name from them on) but she was giggling quite a bit when putting it together. Ultimately it doesn’t matter if it’s accurate but she asked :shrug:

Edit: I bet she’ll love ekaton-ikosi-pende-pus, we’ll see when she gets home from school.

How about polypus, multipus, pluspus or oligopus?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ban this user for getting goons to help with homework! (Remember that poo poo? Does that still happen?)

Anyway, please share the no-doubt adorable story about the misfit cephalopod when it's done, if you're comfortable. Especially if there are illustrations. :kimchi: :cthulhu:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Any linguists out there? My daughter is writing a short story for school about an Octopus who doesn’t fit in because she has 125 arms. Would that be a centumquadragintaquinquepus?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525230&pagenumber=93&perpage=40

Linguistics thread. They're a friendly lot and will happily help you, but also it'll probably be a reason for them to regale you with fun and interesting related facts after.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyway, please share the no-doubt adorable story about the misfit cephalopod when it's done, if you're comfortable. Especially if there are illustrations. :kimchi: :cthulhu:

:emptyquote:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ban this user for getting goons to help with homework! (Remember that poo poo? Does that still happen?)

I spotted a goon who got done for empty quoting this year although it was more because they were constantly thread making GBS threads than empty quoting. So it's still possible to enforce the old rules.

Like say backseat modding :unsmigghh:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Thanks everyone! I really like Pluspus, that’s a fun suggestion. I’d love to share the story when it’s done (hashtag proud dad) but I’ll leave that up to my daughter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Make is an eighth-of-a-thousand footer.

ogdoochiliapus

Bastard Greek, but you get the idea.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Another computer illiterate question I'm afraid..

I have that dumbass Bing on the top taskbar on my laptop, how do i get rid of it? It makes searching anything so painful. Ive tried googling an answer but those instructions never seem to get rid of it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Extra row of tits posted:

I have that dumbass Bing on the top taskbar on my laptop, how do i get rid of it? It makes searching anything so painful. Ive tried googling an answer but those instructions never seem to get rid of it.

Can you share a screenshot? I don't know what you're referring to (although I removed search from the taskbar long ago).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ lol

Extra row of tits posted:

I don’t know what the “top taskbar” is, could you post a screenshot? Win+shift+s and you should be able to paste that into imgur and get a link for the thread.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
What are fun things to do with a full gig fiber to the premises connection, what thread should I go to for this?

… also seriously the kid story sounds cute. Let her know before she gets into it they have specialized brains that have a whole section for each tentacle. Whatever you call it it’s gonna be some kinda smart!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Decedent posted:

What are fun things to do with a full gig fiber to the premises connection, what thread should I go to for this?

Re-download Steam games and giggle at how quick it goes.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
TBH I’m already giggling. I have a full gig now but steam only pushes 60mbps so, it’s mostly just bandwidth. I’m in a coax area now and looking at a place in an RDOF area. Septic, propane and well water with fiber internet that has a gig upstream too with a ping of five whole milliseconds at the optical network unit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Decedent posted:

… also seriously the kid story sounds cute. Let her know before she gets into it they have specialized brains that have a whole section for each tentacle. Whatever you call it it’s gonna be some kinda smart!

Be aware that you may not have unlimited downloading. I got nailed hard by Xfinity when I was downloading AI image library-definitions-engine sources (I forget what they're called now).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I run a yearbook/photography class for a school. My employer has restricted any school devices from engaging with USB drives. I typically back up all photos taken to a cloud based service, Google Drive, and to an external USB hard drive. My storage on Google Drive appears to be unlimited, but I don't know if that will always be the case, and I feel like I'm definitely pushing the limits of what might seem reasonable. I'm up to a terabyte of images.

I can no longer transfer images from my cameras to my laptop to my external drive. I can move the images from the cameras to the laptop, but the laptop won't interact with the external drive. I still want to backup images to the external drive. What's my best option here? I could purchase a personal device to act as a transfer hub, but what would be the cheapest device? I'm not going to do it on my home PC, because I don't want to bring home a bunch of random cameras and dump photos onto it, then upload them. Or, alternately, I'm not going to download photos that I uploaded onto the school Google Drive and see what Spectrum thinks of me downloading and moving hundreds of gigabytes of images. Are there any obvious solutions I'm missing? I have a camera with significant storage capacity on its CFExpress Type B card, I guess I could just dump photos onto that (the work computer is OK with being plugged into the camera), then put that card into a reader, transfer it to my home computer, then transfer the images to the external drive. But the fact that this appears to be the simplest option seems crazy!

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 5, 2023

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Does anyone have recommendations for light weight breathable work boots that come all black? I love my Merells and Palladiums but feel like there have to be other options out there. I tend to go cheap-ish as I work in them but they also have to be clean and presentable which is a kind of weird situation. I'm regularly on my feet up to 18 hours a day.

I used to live in Redwings but the past couple of years they just haven't seemed to feel right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Probably not so much any more as very few thirty-eight-year-olds have homework.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

litany of gulps posted:

I run a yearbook/photography class for a school. My employer has restricted any school devices from engaging with USB drives. I typically back up all photos taken to a cloud based service, Google Drive, and to an external USB hard drive. My storage on Google Drive appears to be unlimited, but I don't know if that will always be the case, and I feel like I'm definitely pushing the limits of what might seem reasonable. I'm up to a terabyte of images.

I can no longer transfer images from my cameras to my laptop to my external drive. I can move the images from the cameras to the laptop, but the laptop won't interact with the external drive. I still want to backup images to the external drive. What's my best option here? I could purchase a personal device to act as a transfer hub, but what would be the cheapest device? I'm not going to do it on my home PC, because I don't want to bring home a bunch of random cameras and dump photos onto it, then upload them. Or, alternately, I'm not going to download photos that I uploaded onto the school Google Drive and see what Spectrum thinks of me downloading and moving hundreds of gigabytes of images. Are there any obvious solutions I'm missing? I have a camera with significant storage capacity on its CFExpress Type B card, I guess I could just dump photos onto that (the work computer is OK with being plugged into the camera), then put that card into a reader, transfer it to my home computer, then transfer the images to the external drive. But the fact that this appears to be the simplest option seems crazy!

To clarify, are your laptop and the "work computer" here the same thing? Can you bring it home with you?
You can get a a "Network-Attached Storage" box for your home with a harddrive or two inside so you can just transfer files to it over the local wifi. There is software you can use to automatically sync a given folder to your network drive too so if you can install stuff on the laptop you might be able to get it to automagically back up everything as soon as it connects to your home network. (I'm not too familiar with all that stuff though).

You might also be able to just plug the usb drive into your home PC and share it over the local network, then on your work laptop just drag-and-drop all the stuff into the network drive that shows up in windows explorer.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Spectrum was the big RDOF winner so guess who provides that fiber I was just all excited about. I just googled it and I don’t like this

“Spectrum does not enforce data caps, but that may change in the near future. Charter Communications’ agreement with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ends in May 2023, which prohibits Charter from enforcing data caps until then”

Don’t forget that spectrum coax is asynchronous and your upload speed is going to be 40mbps or less. Probably less.

Get a vpn and tell them you’re doing it for work and to shut up unless they change their whole company policy.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is the Greek text below written in ancient, medieval, or modern Greek? (The book is a 1571 edition of the Roman Pandects, which were originally written in the 6th century AD.)

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 5, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is the Greek text below written in ancient, medieval, or modern Greek? (The book is a 1571 edition of the Roman Pandects, which were originally written in the 6th century AD.)

It’s all Greek to me.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

My daughter sends a huge thank you to everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Hopefully she’ll be up for sharing!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

To clarify, are your laptop and the "work computer" here the same thing? Can you bring it home with you?
You can get a a "Network-Attached Storage" box for your home with a harddrive or two inside so you can just transfer files to it over the local wifi.

You might also be able to just plug the usb drive into your home PC and share it over the local network, then on your work laptop just drag-and-drop all the stuff into the network drive that shows up in windows explorer.

Yes to both initial questions. Thanks, I think either of those would work!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

We got cable tv (really satellite, but I still call it cable) and every second ad around supper time and at least an hour and a half later is for a law firm. What is the rationale behind this time slot being so filled with those ads, or is it just cable tv?
Everyone just got home from work and lots of people are watching TV while eating.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Recently I've developed an annoying twitch in my lower eyelid that starts up whenever I've had caffeine or alcohol. And yes I do indulge too much in both of those things but the twitch kicks off after a small amount. Is there anything I can do? Will it eventually go away on its own? I'd hate to give up my vodka lattes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Could be general fatigue/stress getting to you, both in the general sense and in the "eyes are literally tired" sense. Make sure you spend some time looking at different focal distances, in addition to the standard "get enough sleep, eat real food, don't do too many drugs" advice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

artsy fartsy posted:

Recently I've developed an annoying twitch in my lower eyelid that starts up whenever I've had caffeine or alcohol. And yes I do indulge too much in both of those things but the twitch kicks off after a small amount. Is there anything I can do? Will it eventually go away on its own? I'd hate to give up my vodka lattes

Hydrate more.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

artsy fartsy posted:

This happened to me when I was really stressed/anxious and not sleeping well. It went away when I got better, but still occasionally happens if I don’t get enough sleep. My eye doctor said it was very common and normal and nothing major to worry about.

Also you’re getting older and poo poo that like this that didn’t used to happen suddenly starts happening and it’s scary.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This happened to me when I was really stressed/anxious and not sleeping well. It went away when I got better, but still occasionally happens if I don’t get enough sleep. My eye doctor said it was very common and normal and nothing major to worry about.

Also you’re getting older and poo poo that like this that didn’t used to happen suddenly starts happening and it’s scary.

I have been stressed and I haven't been sleeping well lately (bad dreams, waking up a lot) and I am getting old.

I will also try hydrating more.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

eating more bananas can also help.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

I have been stressed and I haven't been sleeping well lately (bad dreams, waking up a lot) and I am getting old.

I will also try hydrating more.

Yeah, stressed and waking up a lot of probably not unrelated. You probably want to figure out something you can do about it before you break down further, because that is not fun.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I use a lot of email templates on Gmail for work. Any time I want to add a new template, it turns into a gigantic mess as there doesn't appear to be a way to sort the templates. Is there a better way to manage Gmail templates? Google told me there should be a folder of templates in my Google Drive, but I don't see such an option.

Would it even be possible to export email templates from a spreadsheet?

I just have to select from a specific template depending on the nature of the response. Surely there must be a way to sort your Gmail templates into subfolders or rearrange them?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the correct expression of the equation for the Fast Fourier Transform, as it applies to audio? Google image searching 'fast Fourier transform equation' yields some wildly different answers, some which use a big Sigma symbol for summation and others using an integral instead. I asked a friend who's an engineer and surprisingly he's just as confused about it as I am.

I think I'm ready for that tattoo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the correct expression of the equation for the Fast Fourier Transform, as it applies to audio? Google image searching 'fast Fourier transform equation' yields some wildly different answers, some which use a big Sigma symbol for summation and others using an integral instead. I asked a friend who's an engineer and surprisingly he's just as confused about it as I am.

I think I'm ready for that tattoo.

The FFT is an implementation of the discrete Fourier transform so a sum is more appropriate. But some sources explain the general theory of Fourier transforms and it's easier to start from the definition for a continuous signal that involves an integral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well like I said, while I find the concept fascinating for its wide range of applications, I'm mostly concerned with audio. Which of these would be more appropriate, given that context?