Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

networking has always been the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

genericnick posted:

So are they doing the thing where you have big numbers that go away in revision so you can have big numbers again?

Combination of job surveys being generally lovely at providing accurate data and the headline number not really capturing any information about the quality of available jobs.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

euphronius posted:

networking has always been the way.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There are plenty of jobs at the bottom

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! (ignore the quality of those jobs)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Networking being such a huge factor in hiring is one of the big reasons we're never going to be able to effectively address major inequalities in big industries, no matter how badly Democrats want to talk about "opportunity" and "access." Even some kind of federally mandated blind hiring process for all companies wouldn't do it if employers could still fire whoever they wanted.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
all jobs are poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

well you could have people bid and promote based on seniority and then restrict discipline to just cause

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol jay is killing retail banking to help the tech sector:

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1654405586614730755

he still can't stop wage growth though

https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1654469834334412800

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

subhed: "Two simple words: more immigrants"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

are regional banks better or worse than the big guys? or will there be no change?

just wondering what the future holds

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I'm (very) slowly reading through Graeber's "Bullshit Jobs" and agree with the premise that a sizable fraction of American and western jobs are self-evidently unnecessary. Interestingly Graeber's definition of a bullshit job doesn't include ones where the worker themself believes the job is necessary or important, so doesn't include the vast number of tech sector workers that think they're doing useful things but are in fact non-essential. Given all this, it's hard to reconcile this to claims that the current inflation issues are due to a fundamental shortfall in the labor supply. There is in fact a huge reserve army of labor, but it's largely doing useless busy-work instead of being jobless. I'm sure this is probably simplistic and demonstrates my ignorance on this topic. OTOH what makes people so sure that it's a limited labor supply that is causing high inflation?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Nocturtle posted:

OTOH what makes people so sure that it's a limited labor supply that is causing high inflation?

ideology that says corporate price gouging and asset bubbles are good and cool, but wages going up 0.1% is BAD INFLATION

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paradoxish posted:

Networking being such a huge factor in hiring is one of the big reasons we're never going to be able to effectively address major inequalities in big industries, no matter how badly Democrats want to talk about "opportunity" and "access." Even some kind of federally mandated blind hiring process for all companies wouldn't do it if employers could still fire whoever they wanted.

how weird american puppet politicians keep making rules their corporate paymasters can flout with a slap on the wrist at most

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Nocturtle posted:

OTOH what makes people so sure that it's a limited labor supply that is causing high inflation?

the trashcan of ideology, op

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lmao this country is such a nightmare. Semaglutide can cause pancreatitis

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Have they figured out yet that you can’t fix a labor shortage caused by a pandemic with rate hikes?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Raccooon posted:

Have they figured out yet that you can’t fix a labor shortage caused by a pandemic with rate hikes?

it's good because it costs more money to work now

Apr 7, 2003

Capital demands that everyone eat 4700 calories a day so profits can go up. Then you can take a risky drug to treat the side effects of that consumption so profits can go up. Never let a disaster you caused go to waste

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

I'm (very) slowly reading through Graeber's "Bullshit Jobs" and agree with the premise that a sizable fraction of American and western jobs are self-evidently unnecessary. Interestingly Graeber's definition of a bullshit job doesn't include ones where the worker themself believes the job is necessary or important, so doesn't include the vast number of tech sector workers that think they're doing useful things but are in fact non-essential. Given all this, it's hard to reconcile this to claims that the current inflation issues are due to a fundamental shortfall in the labor supply. There is in fact a huge reserve army of labor, but it's largely doing useless busy-work instead of being jobless. I'm sure this is probably simplistic and demonstrates my ignorance on this topic. OTOH what makes people so sure that it's a limited labor supply that is causing high inflation?

I don't think most people in this thread would blame the labor market for inflation, and it's arguable whether the people pushing this narrative really "believe" it except in an ideological sense. We're trying to kill the job market because the people in charge don't like the idea of a labor market balanced in favor of labor, and maybe high unemployment will also bring down inflation.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Jobs! has been such a politician rallying cry for so long we're now at a point where governments give a company tax breaks so that an employee can sit in a cubicle 8 hours a day clicking a mouse and if they don't, they don't get to eat

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

capital overbuilt office space and franchise restaurants off highway exits and by god they need people to work them

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Jobs! has been such a politician rallying cry for so long we're now at a point where governments give a company tax breaks so that an employee can sit in a cubicle 8 hours a day clicking a mouse and if they don't, they don't get to eat

lets be realistic now

they get the tax breaks to say they are going to make more pointless office jobs

they don't actually have to create those jobs

Apr 7, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lets be realistic now

they get the tax breaks to say they are going to make more pointless office jobs

they don't actually have to create those jobs

Construction on Amazon HQ2 in Virginia has been halted for a while and as far as I can tell they still get the bennies VA promised them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Austan Goolsbee was on the radio recently saying that inflation leads pay raises not the other way round.

I don’t even think it’s the center anymore that thinks labor really causes inflation.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Austan Goolsbee was on the radio recently saying that inflation leads pay raises not the other way round.

I don’t even think it’s the center anymore that thinks labor really causes inflation.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Turnquiet posted:

it sucks, but this is the game. good news is if you really do try to help folk, for as infrequently as it pans out, folk end up wanting to help you too so you can find your own next opportunity. funny how not treating people like poo poo helps build relationships and connection and community! shame everything about our lovely society tries to force endless competition

that’s cool, I have no opportunity to help anyone because I don’t get to make decisions or interview or anything . Have nothing to trade, can’t receive anything

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Construction on Amazon HQ2 in Virginia has been halted for a while and as far as I can tell they still get the bennies VA promised them.

really if you think about it the are preventing people from having to work in crystal city by leaving an abandoned hulk which is a public benefit

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

adderal is fantastic for weight loss. and it’s side effects are ignorable.

Dexedrine

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

net work error posted:

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while

he’s head of the Chicago fed these days

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Modafanil

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

oh ya thats the real poo poo dc runs on

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Koirhor posted:

oh ya thats the real poo poo dc runs on

Don’t forget trintellix, abilify, and sildenafil

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

abilify is a drat good drug name

you have to give them that one.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Turnquiet posted:

it sucks, but this is the game. good news is if you really do try to help folk, for as infrequently as it pans out, folk end up wanting to help you too so you can find your own next opportunity. funny how not treating people like poo poo helps build relationships and connection and community! shame everything about our lovely society tries to force endless competition

We know recruiters personally, people in the departments my wife is applying for etc but it’s still near impossible to get in at companies like Nike u less you’re bff with the hiring manager. It’s gross nepotism and it’s sucks balls.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Boot and Rally posted:

Someone I know submitted a video of Salacious B. Crumb laughing and made it to the next round.

Submit the scene from fightclub where he talks about killing his managers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Like, Texas's power grid is designed the way it is so as to allow it to secede from the Union.

i know this is from pages ago, but its designed the way it is to avoid being regulated by FERC its nothing about secession.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Willa Rogers posted:

subhed: "Two simple words: more immigrants"

thats cool, let the population shrink so i can participate in the Ownership Society. the nation does not need to bow to the whims of capitals desire to exploit labor at EVERY GODDAMN loving TURN

I will say a bunch of racist dipshit farmers and rich folk boosting trump who then shut down their access to cheap and abusable immigrant labor is pretty loving lol. literally everyone voting against their interests in different and fun ways

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

euphronius posted:

adderal is fantastic for weight loss. and it’s side effects are ignorable.
I've actually gained a little weight since going on adderal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My wife’s friend was also told at Starbucks they like to hire at the low end of the salary band for corporate. So they’re looking for the bare minimum qualifications and not people too qualified. Great way to run a company if you only care about being mediocre.