Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Murray’s still not cleared to play. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing or a good thing given his last few months of the season, but the potential of MM coming back healthy for the first time all year and going on a tear is basically the reason Dubas traded for him so I have to imagine he’d be in if he could play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/RO_1096/status/1654323064157401089?s=20

IM JUST ASKING QUESTIONS.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Murray’s still not cleared to play. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing or a good thing given his last few months of the season, but the potential of MM coming back healthy for the first time all year and going on a tear is basically the reason Dubas traded for him so I have to imagine he’d be in if he could play.

He went on LTIR for a tear, so close enough.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Luke Hughes was trending on twitter and I got excited but it's just Devils fans complaining that he's not in (so this thread).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T-Bone posted:

Luke Hughes was trending on twitter and I got excited but it's just Devils fans complaining that he's not in (so this thread).

He can only play 7 more games and still qualify for the entry level slide, so they have to save him for the SCF

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/1654299413420953602?s=20

Pavelski is old, lmao

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Long overtime games rule so much it stinks we haven't even had a triple OT yet this year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Last year had a 4OT game, didn’t it?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's hard to imagine a series going deep into OT now. Feels like the NHL is so much more run-and-gun that when games go to OT they end relatively quickly. Basically all the goaltenders left in the playoffs are pretty average too, hard to imagine two of them standing on their head in the same game. I could maybe see Oettinger and Grubauer doing it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Woodguy55/status/1654116017055100928

Just lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It kind of seems like Grubauer has pretty quickly returned to earth. Maybe he just really likes playing in Denver?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Simplex posted:

It kind of seems like Grubauer has pretty quickly returned to earth. Maybe he just really likes playing in Denver?

I'd imagine it's probably a little easier to stop your former teammates since you know their tendencies and have practiced against them more than anyone. Although, then again, they also knew Grubauer's tendencies and it didn't work out for them

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just keeping track of playoff suspensions here:

Michael Bunting: 3 games
Entire rest of the league: 1 game

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Simplex posted:

He was +1.3 GSAA yesterday, he played pretty well. Dallas had 5.3 XGA while he was on the ice, Kraken were very bad last night.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell, the worst goal Grubauer gave up was the wraparound, and even that was insanely close--bigger issue would have been even if he had saved it, Jamie Benn was barreling in afterwards to slam it home.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Leafs had their foot on the gas for most of the game last night. They just looked so hilariously snakebitten. Like, I am pretty sure the Leafs held the puck almost twice as long in Florida's offensive zone than Florida did Toronto's. I am not too worried, despite it being 2-0, because Florida isn't strong defensively and let Toronto do what they want offensively. The problem is, Florida is such a dangerous offensive team that they can create chances quickly if Toronto isn't careful.

This is why, while I preferred Florida over Boston, it wasn't a series I thought was going to be easy for Toronto.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Hell, the worst goal Grubauer gave up was the wraparound, and even that was insanely close--bigger issue would have been even if he had saved it, Jamie Benn was barreling in afterwards to slam it home.

The biggest difference between game 1 and 2 was Dallas keeping the front of their net clear. If Seattle can get inside again they'll be scoring. Grubauer did okay, but that wrap around positioning was absolutely terrible.

Also, is Marchment Brazilian, because that was the softest interference draw I think I've seen in ages. I thought he was stronger than that and just lols.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Leafs had their foot on the gas for most of the game last night. They just looked so hilariously snakebitten. Like, I am pretty sure the Leafs held the puck almost twice as long in Florida's offensive zone than Florida did Toronto's. I am not too worried, despite it being 2-0, because Florida isn't strong defensively and let Toronto do what they want offensively. The problem is, Florida is such a dangerous offensive team that they can create chances quickly if Toronto isn't careful.

This is why, while I preferred Florida over Boston, it wasn't a series I thought was going to be easy for Toronto.

Mirtle posted that scoring chances in the series thus far are 36-19 in favour of the Leafs. Actual goals 4-7.

Goaltending is basically the entire difference so far, and the Leafs should be able to come back if they start making good on their chances, but also we’ve seen this story before many, many times. All it takes is one more bad stretch or another soft goal or two from Sammy and they’re pretty much sunk.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jhet posted:

Also, is Marchment Brazilian, because that was the softest interference draw I think I've seen in ages. I thought he was stronger than that and just lols.

He's a general shitstirrer, so he'll try anything once. Not surprised he tried it, a little surprised it worked.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't know, I find these splits pretty funny.

In Seattle: .892 Sv%, 3.34 GAA
In Dallas: .889, 3.72
In Denver: .949, 1.76

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

He's a general shitstirrer, so he'll try anything once. Not surprised he tried it, a little surprised it worked.

Oh I know he's good at it too. It was very funny just how much Soucy resembled a brick wall while moving away from him for a moment there. I could only groan when the ref skated straight in with the call.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

eXXon posted:

Just keeping track of playoff suspensions here:

Michael Bunting: 3 games
Entire rest of the league: 1 game

wish they punished everyone with the degree of fairness and justice that they punished bunting with

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

T-Bone posted:

based on the track record from last series Lindy will relent and do what twitter wants after they drop another 5-1 game tonight

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
dops has given bennett a $5k fine for crosschecking bunting. no word on bennett chokeslamming knies out of the game.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

dops has given bennett a $5k fine for crosschecking bunting. no word on bennett chokeslamming knies out of the game.

That means he won’t get anything. Totally expected, not shocking, this is a league where a guy got nothing for breaking a dude’s neck last round, not to mention the hit on McCann etc.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I still can't believe Eberle got away with breaking Cogliano's neck.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1652158856993144832?t=EYIAiMN8TNoNV77NETulgw&s=19

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1654532071866368011?t=7xu5RiNmL70j4Mip8Kao9Q&s=19

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

secret volcano lair posted:

based on the track record from last series Lindy will relent and do what twitter wants after they drop another 5-1 game tonight

Looks like Schmid is back in. Game time decision for Meier.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

What bothers me more than the discipline (which was predictable and as horribly consistent as it ever is) is the absolute listless response from the Leafs. Florida came out targeting a kid 10 games out of college, tactically sensible because he struggles with contact and has a tendency to hang on to the puck and look at his feet, they knock him out and his teammates look at their shoes. Don’t make FLA pay on the scoreboard, don’t stick up for him physically. The Leafs came out of intermission knowing he was done and their reaction was to lose the game in two minutes. Just gutless stuff.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also Keefe mentioned the two games is minimum and Knies is more likely out longer.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/1654526948801134595?s=20

Weird how Carey Price and Joonas Korpisalo also had huge outlier games against the Maple Leafs in their series where the Leafs ran roughshod over their teams, meanwhile Vasilevskiy looked like poo poo when the Leafs had to play a slow, grindy series. I’m sure there’s nothing to it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Koopa Kid posted:

What bothers me more than the discipline (which was predictable and as horribly consistent as it ever is) is the absolute listless response from the Leafs. Florida came out targeting a kid 10 games out of college, tactically sensible because he struggles with contact and has a tendency to hang on to the puck and look at his feet, they knock him out and his teammates look at their shoes. Don’t make FLA pay on the scoreboard, don’t stick up for him physically. The Leafs came out of intermission knowing he was done and their reaction was to lose the game in two minutes. Just gutless stuff.

What’s it called when a coach does a suicide pass, but does it to a player for an entire playoff series? Because that’s pretty much what happened here. Kid does not have the experience to go up against an aggressive team like us this fresh out of college in the post season. Feels like an inevitability, and I’m gonna guess it wouldn’t have happened to that degree following the tangle up to most of your roster.

Hope the kid is feeling better soon, a rough way to start your career.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s it called when a coach does a suicide pass, but does it to a player for an entire playoff series? Because that’s pretty much what happened here. Kid does not have the experience to go up against an aggressive team like us this fresh out of college in the post season. Feels like an inevitability, and I’m gonna guess it wouldn’t have happened to that degree following the tangle up to most of your roster.

Hope the kid is feeling better soon, a rough way to start your career.

I know you’re trying to be even-handed here, but Matt Tkachuk literally tried to elbow him in the face while someone else was hitting him and Bennett choke slammed him away from the puck, neither of those are hockey plays or things that a coach should expect to have happen to their player.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Just inevitable that Matt Tkachuk would get his elbow up here, no one’s fault but the coach for playing him at all actually

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1654265810850922496?s=20

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Koopa Kid posted:

I know you’re trying to be even-handed here, but Matt Tkachuk literally tried to elbow him in the face while someone else was hitting him and Bennett choke slammed him away from the puck, neither of those are hockey plays or things that a coach should expect to have happen to their player.

While I’m not down with the superfluous wrestling moves, let’s not pretend that the leafs aren’t doing it too

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1654268188236947456?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know this kind of playoff depth is unheard of for the Leafs, but it’s not exactly uncommon for the game to be played that way at this stage. Until the refs and DOPS do their jobs, that’s how it is and the teams and staff all know this. Leafs fans are mad because it happened to a guy in a blue jersey, and wouldn’t give a gently caress if it was this other way around.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Oh a guy also fell down in some other clip, who has a brain injury and who doesn’t?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know this kind of playoff depth is unheard of for the Leafs, but it’s not exactly uncommon for the game to be played that way at this stage. Until the refs and DOPS do their jobs, that’s how it is and the teams and staff all know this. Leafs fans are mad because it happened to a guy in a blue jersey, and wouldn’t give a gently caress if it was this other way around.

I posted immediately after Bunting hit Cernak that I’d be fine if he didn’t play for the Leafs again in the playoffs, but if you want to talk to strawmen Twitter is available.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Koopa Kid posted:

Oh a guy also fell down in some other clip, who has a brain injury and who doesn’t?

Sorry the leafs just aren’t as good at it as Sam Bennett.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wonderllama posted:

While I’m not down with the superfluous wrestling moves, let’s not pretend that the leafs aren’t doing it too

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1654268188236947456?s=20

Please, they would never use such a basic throw in wrestling. Gotta add some showmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
wtf is the NHL doing with their scheduling? 1 game today and 1 game tomorrow (saturday night!!!) and then 2 on Sunday? this makes no sense