Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Time to call up Kyle Clifford imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Time to call up Kyle Clifford imo

Simmonds is already around to take an ineffectual major and cost the Leafs another game in the series if they want, but I don’t think anyone sees that as an actual solution for this series

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thehoodie posted:

wtf is the NHL doing with their scheduling? 1 game today and 1 game tomorrow (saturday night!!!) and then 2 on Sunday? this makes no sense

Concerts make more money than hockey.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

As does… horse racing broadcast rights?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Koopa Kid posted:

I posted immediately after Bunting hit Cernak that I’d be fine if he didn’t play for the Leafs again in the playoffs, but if you want to talk to strawmen Twitter is available.

I mean, it’s not a straw man when those Twitter Leafs fans are exactly who I’m talking about. Obviously for the most part people posting in here (ie you) are more level headed than that, but as you’re aware there is a huge contingent of very mad homers out there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

As does… horse racing broadcast rights?

Horse racing pre-shows!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, it’s not a straw man when those Twitter Leafs fans are exactly who I’m talking about. Obviously for the most part people posting in here (ie you) are more level headed than that, but as you’re aware there is a huge contingent of very mad homers out there.

Fair, I guess I’m just saying if we wanted to discuss the braying of the masses we could both pull up a lot of real ugly stuff that isn’t pertinent to “should Keefe have anticipated Mighty-Ducks-style headhunting.”

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am glad the Oilers play at 7pm eastern on a saturday. I have slo-pitch tonight!!!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thehoodie posted:

wtf is the NHL doing with their scheduling? 1 game today and 1 game tomorrow (saturday night!!!) and then 2 on Sunday? this makes no sense

The Kraken clearly didn't expect to still be playing and there's a concert scheduled for Saturday night.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Friday is also by a significant margin the smallest TV audience on a given week, whereas Sunday is the largest.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is still cracking me up

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1654303849522561027?s=20

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

thehoodie posted:

3 on Sunday. The Saturday night game is awesome because it’s Oilers/Golden Knights at 7pm ET so I can actually watch it

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

ThinkTank posted:

Horse racing pre-shows!

I remember when NBC broke away from an NHL playoff game to show the Derby pre-game show, which was just a bunch of shots of the horses hanging out and people talking.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Given how long Oleksiak was on the Stars I’m curious what they were chatting about. They both look pretty relaxed there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

thehoodie posted:

It's not necessarily a NHL scheduling thing, sometimes it's an arena scheduling thing. Generally speaking, arenas host a lot of other things besides just sports, and not every team owns it's own arena. Teams/arenas will try to keep certain dates open in case they make the playoffs, and they're certainly probably one of the highest priority tenants for many of these arenas, but there's always the chance that stuff has already been booked in advance. That's it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are some weird optimization artifacts that i'm not smart enough to figure out, but :shrug:

https://i.imgur.com/D9wTb9D.mp4

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's not necessarily a NHL scheduling thing, sometimes it's an arena scheduling thing. Generally speaking, arenas host a lot of other things besides just sports, and not every team owns it's own arena. Teams/arenas will try to keep certain dates open in case they make the playoffs, and they're certainly probably one of the highest priority tenants for many of these arenas, but there's always the chance that stuff has already been booked in advance. That's it.

I think it depends on how big the competing event is as well maybe? Janet Jackson had a concert at the atlanta hawks arena that was pushed forward a day because the Hawks staved off elimination last week

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat the Devils have a 7 game series, one day off, and then a sub 48 turnaround between the Carolina and NJ home games, rough.

When I saw they gave Edmonton extra days off, I assumed it was to give the CBC two Saturday night games, but I suppose a game in each weekend night at primetime is pretty good for their ratings too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

I think it depends on how big the competing event is as well maybe? Janet Jackson had a concert at the atlanta hawks arena that was pushed forward a day because the Hawks staved off elimination last week

probably more about the timing of the concert tour - they've got their own big setups they have to truck between stops and so on. if they've got space to get moved by a day, great, but most likely don't

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Powershift posted:

There are some weird optimization artifacts that i'm not smart enough to figure out, but :shrug:

Lmao

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/JamesNicholsNHL/status/1654617039237963776?t=4x3KMgS6dU3BS2rFY81xqQ&s=19

in other news rumor has it brendan smith may be playing tonight

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Powershift posted:

lmfao this is so fuckin good

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

He's not the best gm but those clips are fuckin entertaining

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Powershift posted:

Amazing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Ready to be disappointed by the Devils again

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

timo pull a pavelski please

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Maple Leafs are such a poorly coached team. They resemble the Bylsma Penguins so much it's spooky, in every way except they don't have a teamwide pissbaby meltdown whenever the other team lays a couple dirty hits on them. That's pretty much the only nice thing I have to say about Keefe. They do not play defense in anything resembling an organized way and constantly have total defensive breakdowns whenever something adverse happens.

The funniest part (for those of us who aren't Leafs fans) is that now that they've Won A Playoff Series Keefe will be back next year. Dubashanahan probably will be too.

Also, no one turtles like Paul Maurice. Unfortunate since the Maple Leafs are the one team turtling is the optimal strategy against--they get frustrated so drat easily.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He's not the best gm but those clips are fuckin entertaining

What had happened to make him lose it?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Huggybear posted:

he's the general manager of the Toronto maple leafs

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Huggybear posted:

Either Nylander or Matthews egregious giveaway in the defensive zone that immediately ended up in the net

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Man if the Canes were fully healthy this was their year. Still might be.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

No shame in going down to a good team in round 2 the first year back, but I sure hope they put up a bit more of a fight at home. This has been embarrassing to watch so far

E: I also hope they don't overreact to this and decide they need to spend 10 million dollars on Grit or something

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
seems bad to get outscored 11-2 in two games. I didn't even think the Devils looked that bad, it's just the Canes being methodical.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I guess their playoff strategy is "get killed the first two games, then we have them right where we want them" lol

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Kyle Clifford has more Stanley Cup Finals goals than McDavid and Matthews combined. Think about it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'm honestly having a hard time watching a game where you can just grab a guy by the neck and drive his head into the ice. Like, I was around when they suspended Uncle Todd for life for doing a similar thing.

DOPS is genuinely insane-making. Oh good, they're setting an example by giving Bunting 3 games. Then they don't loving follow their own example they just set with any of these other hits to the head in multiple series.

To get a multi-game playoff suspension, you either need to straight murder a man who just put in an empty netter, have brown skin, or be a Leaf. God help you if you have brown skin and are a Leaf.

It makes me furious to see these plays. Then I wish grievous injuries on people - the offenders, yes, but also any skilled players on their team. Then I feel absolutely disgusted with myself for wishing that, because that's awful. Then I just feel sad because they're never going to change. It just feels inevitable that one of these years I'm going to see another man get his neck broken or even die on the ice. It's making it hard to watch hockey at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

I'm honestly having a hard time watching a game where you can just grab a guy by the neck and drive his head into the ice. Like, I was around when they suspended Uncle Todd for life for doing a similar thing.

DOPS is genuinely insane-making. Oh good, they're setting an example by giving Bunting 3 games. Then they don't loving follow their own example they just set with any of these other hits to the head in multiple series.

To get a multi-game playoff suspension, you either need to straight murder a man who just put in an empty netter, have brown skin, or be a Leaf. God help you if you have brown skin and are a Leaf.

It makes me furious to see these plays. Then I wish grievous injuries on people - the offenders, yes, but also any skilled players on their team. Then I feel absolutely disgusted with myself for wishing that, because that's awful. Then I just feel sad because they're never going to change. It just feels inevitable that one of these years I'm going to see another man get his neck broken or even die on the ice. It's making it hard to watch hockey at all.

andrew cogliano got a broken vertebra already in these playoffs, so yeah it's happened recently

and i really can't disagree, lafferty not getting anything for the fuckin chokeslam is incredibly disillusioning (well i don't wish grievous injuries but yes)

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
That was a rough game to watch, Carolina won like 90% of the puck battles and they seemed to always catch the Devils D flat footed leading to an odd-man rush or a partial breakaway

After giving up that much for Timo Meier him having 0 points and 20 PIMs is fuckin brutal, Curtis Lazar had 5 points all season long and even he’s contributed a goal

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Lol at the 'be a leaf' caveat. What'd Gord Downie say. 'you're so hard done by'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

That was a rough game to watch, Carolina won like 90% of the puck battles and they seemed to always catch the Devils D flat footed leading to an odd-man rush or a partial breakaway

After giving up that much for Timo Meier him having 0 points and 20 PIMs is fuckin brutal, Curtis Lazar had 5 points all season long and even he’s contributed a goal

He's second on the Devils in shots with 32. You'd think one will eventually go in.