Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTALL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT snype

Leatherhead posted:

Personally I was glad they didn't just re-do the original tournament movie. The bigger problem was Original-Character-Do-Not-Steal 'Cole Young.'

Hard Hard Hard Disagree. Mortal Kombat is the perfect movie to make a "martial arts tournament" movie, and its how the material works the best. The story plot poo poo of MK is incomprehensible to really stupid outside of the actual "fight a magic tournament to save the world" aspect. All of the most basic plot poo poo that is decent to well done in MK is either centered on the tournament or on the machinations of the villains to upset the tournament structure.

MK2 and the MK Reboot are both proof you need the tournament. Hollywood isn't going to make the other stuff work. Just get a bunch of charismatic or sick martial artists and have them do amazing action pieces at the start to middle and you can end it with some more free for all junk, but you need that neato 1v1 fighting in cool and mysterious locations. The MK reboot spent their time fighting in like a meat locker or a shack or some poo poo it was garbage.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's a shame the cole young character sucks so much because Luis tan deserves better

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Leatherhead posted:

Personally I was glad they didn't just re-do the original tournament movie. The bigger problem was Original-Character-Do-Not-Steal 'Cole Young.'

You can do a Mortal Kombat movie without a tournament. You can't spend the entire movie hyping up that tournament up if you're never gonna deliver, though. Just a baffling decision that makes me think nobody involved had ever glanced at a screenplay before, or that the whole thing was just spat out by an algorithm. One of the worst movies of the decade so far, easily.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

I mean the guy they got Kano in the first one was good so don't replace him. Just let him do his thing more

Wait Kano was in the reboot movie?!

I have seen it and I honestly don't remember much about it. I was talking to a friend last night about this news and I said the new MK Movie was "Both better and worse than the original".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

I have seen it and I honestly don't remember much about it. I was talking to a friend last night about this news and I said the new MK Movie was "Both better and worse than the original".

Lol he was like one of the only characters allowed to have perosnality

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I know a guy who named all his kids after Mortal Kombat characters. His son Jax, his daughter Kitana, and the twins Cyrax & Raiden.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Robot Style posted:

I know a guy who named all his kids after Mortal Kombat characters. His son Jax, his daughter Kitana, and the twins Cyrax & Raiden.

That owns

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerkface posted:

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTALL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT snype

Hard Hard Hard Disagree. Mortal Kombat is the perfect movie to make a "martial arts tournament" movie, and its how the material works the best. The story plot poo poo of MK is incomprehensible to really stupid outside of the actual "fight a magic tournament to save the world" aspect. All of the most basic plot poo poo that is decent to well done in MK is either centered on the tournament or on the machinations of the villains to upset the tournament structure.

MK2 and the MK Reboot are both proof you need the tournament. Hollywood isn't going to make the other stuff work. Just get a bunch of charismatic or sick martial artists and have them do amazing action pieces at the start to middle and you can end it with some more free for all junk, but you need that neato 1v1 fighting in cool and mysterious locations. The MK reboot spent their time fighting in like a meat locker or a shack or some poo poo it was garbage.

Yeah that's why the 90s MK movie, despite being cheesy in alot of respects, was cool as poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Wtf why name one twin Cyrax if you’re not going to name the other one Sektor

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

What sucks was the click bait headline was 'Karl Urban in final talks for cult sequel.' Got my hopes up for Dredd.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ruddiger posted:

Wtf why name one twin Cyrax if you’re not going to name the other one Sektor

Probably sounds too much like Pilot Inspektor and who wants that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Did they put dredd in a MK game sounds like he belongs

They have DC characters ffs

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Alan Smithee posted:

He does. Excellent point.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cacator posted:

Also "this birthmark is the reason why we have special powers", nobody gives a poo poo just rip some heads off.

THE ARCANA

God it's so loving stupid.

joylessdivision posted:

Kano was the only good part of the reboot movie. He spends most of the film just poo poo-talking the rest of the cast and it's great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vandar posted:

THE ARCANA

God it's so loving stupid.

Kano was the only good part of the reboot movie. He spends most of the film just poo poo-talking the rest of the cast and it's great.

I liked Kabal in it for this too lol

The guy they got to play Kung Lao should play Kung Lao forever that part owned and they had him saw Nitara in half on screen which was fun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Blood dagger was cool and not even a game thing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

There was a lot of cool poo poo in the movie I just wish it wasn't so cheap in some ways and the arcana stuff? WB clearly had no faith in the production which was stupid of them.

Overall I enjoyed it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The best MK movie reboot is the YouTube that stitches together all the cutscenes from the modern games

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I have strong suspicions that the MK remake was going to be a tv series, then someone arbitrarily made the decision to make it a film.

Okay we'll establish the universe and explain everyone's backstory and otherwise bullshit around in season 1. Then in season 2 we'll actually get to the tournament. Oh we're making this a movie now? And they need a script tomorrow?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Simplex posted:

I have strong suspicions that the MK remake was going to be a tv series, then someone arbitrarily made the decision to make it a film.

Okay we'll establish the universe and explain everyone's backstory and otherwise bullshit around in season 1. Then in season 2 we'll actually get to the tournament. Oh we're making this a movie now? And they need a script tomorrow?

From WB too so at that time it would have been an HBO MAX production, what could have been

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vandar posted:

I'd go so far as to say that all or most of the casting was pretty great. I guess I don't remember much about Sonya and Jaxx but Kano was great, Joe Taslim as Sub-Zero was good but weirdly under-utilized but over-featured, Hiroyuki Sanada is great in everything and rocked Scorpion, I even liked what little we got of Chin Han's Shang Tsung. The movie had individual parts that were good, even great. It just utterly failed to bring them together, and relying on audience insert OC Not-Scorpion was a huge part of why it failed. Nobody needs such a character for a martial arts tournament movie, and nobody needs it for Mortal Kombat.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I am convinced, CONVINCED that Warner wanted the Arcana to be a thing like Sonic recolors or Harry Potter houses or whatever for marketing. It's the only way I can think of to explain why they would do something so stupid.

I am convinced they were hoping people would start making their own Mortal Kombat OCs and be on social media talking about THEIR ARCANA or whatever.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Possibly, but I still think some producer was like "I don't understand, why do they throw fireballs? The kids like Marvel, can we make it like Marvel superpowers?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I guess they just wanted too much, and then were told to do too much. I just watched some parts with some bits with Joe Taslim and if they had kept to him being the Terminator to Lewis Tan's Sarah Connor, that could have been a fun and almost acceptable way to circumnavigate a tournament in your first Mortal Kombat movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I liked how Jax's arcana gave him the superpower to grow big cybernetic arms but only if his real arms are ripped off and then monks install weak pathetic cybernetic arms onto him first.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The only lore you need in a mortal Kombat movie is every fighter including scorpion in hell getting a phone call on a landline phone and when they go “hello?” The caller is mortal Kombat guy screaming “Mortal Kombat!!!” And then cut to the tournament

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The MK reboot actually did a good job of casting, not up to 95's standards but its really hard to beat that cast (Godlike to great performances in every role? How?). The fights were even decent. They just hosed up literally everything else. They have powers because they're mystics or people from literally another dimension!! Or monsters!! They don't need a tattoo!! Cole's power is so loving stupid too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jerkface posted:

The MK reboot actually did a good job of casting, not up to 95's standards but its really hard to beat that cast (Godlike to great performances in every role? How?). The fights were even decent. They just hosed up literally everything else. They have powers because they're mystics or people from literally another dimension!! Or monsters!! They don't need a tattoo!! Cole's power is so loving stupid too.

It would own if Cole gets brutally obliterated like five minutes into the next one but then because of [soul technobabble] he comes back but not lovely so they can continue having Lewis Tan in them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

It would own if Cole gets brutally obliterated like five minutes into the next one but then because of [soul technobabble] he comes back but not lovely so they can continue having Lewis Tan in them.

Just palette swap him

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

They have DC characters ffs

I mean Robocop is basically a Judge Dredd OC Do Not Steal and he was in MK11. Quite perfectly too. They didn't have Murphy jumping around doing acrobatics, he just walks slowly but deliberately and punches like like a tank. Also uses his guns a lot.

Alan Smithee posted:

If they have Scarlet, she would have daggers made out of blood.

Robot Style posted:

Too bad they're not triplets. Triborg is right there.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 6, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Just palette swap him

gently caress yes just do a "That was my brother." like in MK Annihilation and it's never mentioned again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neo Rasa posted:

I was gonna say, demonstrate Fatalities with him and everyone's happy.

Also I hope they just don't mention the Arcana thing ever again. Like the guy from Hellboy 1 in Hellboy 2.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was gonna say, demonstrate Fatalities with him and everyone's happy.

Also I hope they just don't mention the Arcana thing ever again. Like the guy from Hellboy 1 in Hellboy 2.

I think Myers gets mentioned once in Hellboy 2, in that he's off on assignment in Siberia or something. Del Toro probably had an exhausting fight with producers before that character had to be put in, too (producers would ask him about the character of Hellboy, "does he have to be a demon? Does he have to be red? Can't he just be a guy who transforms into Hellboy when he gets mad?").

MK had so many angles for a character to introduce the viewer to the weird world of magic ninjas. Could've looked over the shoulder of Johnny Cage on a career revival, Sonya on assignment after Kano (or Jax, going after Sonya), Liu Kang or Kung Lao, baby Sub-Zero trying to find what happened to his brother. But no, we had to have a guy who can summon a magic shirt.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Zoolander 2 gets a lot of mention as the terrible too long to happen comedy sequel but man Jeff Davis and Jim Carey's return to Dumb and Dumber has got to be one of the worst.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Cole's power is so loving stupid too.

It's quite literal plot armor lmao.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Zoolander 2 gets a lot of mention as the terrible too long to happen comedy sequel but man Jeff Davis and Jim Carey's return to Dumb and Dumber has got to be one of the worst.

It's probably a better match for the prequel. It isn't really even in the same genre as the first Dumb and Dumber

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I think Myers gets mentioned once in Hellboy 2, in that he's off on assignment in Siberia or something. Del Toro probably had an exhausting fight with producers before that character had to be put in, too (producers would ask him about the character of Hellboy, "does he have to be a demon? Does he have to be red? Can't he just be a guy who transforms into Hellboy when he gets mad?").

During Liz' opening argument with Hellboy she yells that he had Meyers transferred to Antarctica because he's too possessive of her. Pretty elegant solution in that it shows Hellboy can be quite petty and gets rid of the dude no one cared about. Krauss was a far more entertaining foil to Hellboy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol, studios and streaming services are probably dreaming of a future where AI generates movies for them based on current trends and starring actors who have been dead for decades, without any more cost than computer time. No more new art, just recycled and regurgitated bits of old, glued back together. Horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's honestly not far off from the Netflix model as it is.