Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like representation in games, and it's disappointing that YoshiP decided generic white guy was the way to go for the cast of FF16, but it's a pretty gigantic stretch to imply that it was done with any sort of malicious intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there some twitter drama happening, if so is it fun or is it tedious

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This happened like a couple months ago, don't know why it's coming up now. And yeah, I think there was just some unconscious bias at work and he wasn't really expecting to be asked so directly about it so he gave kind of a weak answer.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yoshida made a really dumb statement wrt diversity and "realism" in ff16's setting, but until the game comes out there's really not much else to say, especially since he's just the producer, not director or writer. Honestly even on ff14 where he obviously has a more direct role, he comes off more of a manager than a creative type there too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well that's a hell of a thumbnail to choose.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jay Rust posted:

I’m not sure the details but I always assume it’s tedious and I’ve have never been wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

The answers to this have been "yes/the latter" at any given moment of the last 15 years or so

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YoshiP also does not speak any english, and his statement was translated, and I don't know at all how accurate the translation is.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

hatty posted:

I’m not sure the details but I always assume it’s tedious and I’ve have never been wrong

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Im definitely going to watch that video

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just play video games and enjoy them. Life is too complicated, and there are far more serious real world issues to fight against. If people would just get to punching out all hateful bigots, instead of trying to politely debate them on Twitter, then our problems would be solved faster.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Im definitely going to watch that video

:hmmno:
do not entertain the Final Fantasy haters, even jokingly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wizard2 posted:

the FFXVI haters and doubters are being their normal selves, I see

It's a FF game so I'm just naturally assuming it's going to be bad

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I said come in! posted:

Just play video games and enjoy them. Life is too complicated, and there are far more serious real world issues to fight against. If people would just get to punching out all hateful bigots, instead of trying to politely debate them on Twitter, then our problems would be solved faster.

ya. they want a debate. wastes your time, energy, morale.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But this one was banned in Saudi Arabia for being gay so maybe it's good?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Fanatical has Golden Light on super-duper sale for the next 48 hours, currently a historic low at $6 USD. https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/golden-light

Golden Light is a fps horror roguelite and probably one of the aesthetically weirdest games you'll ever play outside of Cruelty Squad. 94% score on steam.

https://youtu.be/hkEA4H2FDR8

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

im not watching that ff16 video. what are nerds mad about now? are video games not woke enough or too woke? i lost track

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AlphaKeny1 posted:

im not watching that ff16 video. what are nerds mad about now? are video games not woke enough or too woke? i lost track

FF16's cast is almost entirely white and the dev had... not the best response to that. I think that counts as not woke enough

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Tl:dr There's no black people in FF16, therefore it is a literal call for genocide. It can't just be a lovely choice by the devs it has to be an existential threat for some reason.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

Tl:dr There's no black people in FF16, therefore it is a literal call for genocide. It can't just be a lovely choice by the devs it has to be an existential threat for some reason.

yeah, like, it bigtime sucks, but it's also merely one of the old tolkienesque standbys of medieval european high fantasy that's been a bedrock idea throughout the genre's history

the idea of having a fantasy world of knights and castles where people just have any old skin color without attempting to explain it is a more modern take on high fantasy that the genre has been progressively moving towards, but if you've grown up on a diet of pre-2010s, non-ursula k. le guin fantasy, then it's probably going to be a blind spot in your writing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are they Caucasian white or are they Asian white? Just asking

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they had nonwhite people even back in medieval times

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

Are they Caucasian white or are they Asian white? Just asking

you tell me

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AlphaKeny1 posted:

No black people - not woke enough. Banned in Saudi Arabia for an intimate gay sex scene - too woke. Pick your poison.

(YoshiP’s comment on diversity was undeniably stupid though.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is the Kingdom Come Deliverance thing all over again, and ultimately no one cared once the game released, but it was funny when the lead designer ended up outing themselves as a white supremacist anyways.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I think they had nonwhite people even back in medieval times
yakub didnt even invent white people until 6000 years ago. basic history, didn't they teach everyone this in school

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I said come in! posted:

This is the Kingdom Come Deliverance thing all over again, and ultimately no one cared once the game released, but it was funny when the lead designer ended up outing themselves as a white supremacist anyways.

Yeah that was lovely

Do people think nobody travelled in the pre-modern era, like nobody went anywhere

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

Using a thumbnail of white supremacists to make the point means it's just asking for hateclicks to generate views, so I doubt they're making any nuanced points of view worth mentioning.

It's def a "They should do better" thing, but gently caress me who cares.

I said come in! posted:

lol really?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The person who invented white people had to have been colour blind or some poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God invented one (1) white guy and the whole thing instantly went tits up

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HopperUK posted:

Do people think nobody travelled in the pre-modern era, like nobody went anywhere

No. No black people in Europe at all, ever. Sorry.

*studiously turns away from the entirety of Moorish civilisation*

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
no one went anywhere before america invented the car and the highway

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
othello? huh I never realized that game was so old

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Pentiment takes place in an isolated village in central Europe in the 1500s and it has characters from all over Europe and at least two non-white characters and it does not seemed forced or pandering at all. So it can be done if you actually do some research I guess.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

PSA: Pentiment owns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pentiment was made by Rope Kid, so no surprise that it's a masterpiece.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOFIvAGG3Y

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

just confirms i didn't actually miss anything

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bone emulator posted:

Pentiment takes place in an isolated village in central Europe in the 1500s and it has characters from all over Europe and at least two non-white characters and it does not seemed forced or pandering at all. So it can be done if you actually do some research I guess.

high fantasy as a genre has never been acutely concerned with being historically accurate, so it's more a matter of the writing being behind the times rather than it being misinformed about there being no one with dark skin in europe until the industrial revolution. it really is just a shift in how high fantasy has been handled as society has changed, and which the writers of FFXVI were not privy to. like, league of legends has these two characters:

they're both from the same nation in the same geographical part of the world, and there's zero commentary anywhere in their backstories or written material that mentions their origins or where their parents were from besides "demacia"; this would have been drat near unthinkable in an early 2000s high fantasy novel, but it's increasingly expected by modern audiences as a desire for greater diversity has slowly ground down those old tropes about national racial homogeneity in high fantasy worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Another game dev bites the dust
https://twitter.com/Pixelopus/status/1654563543386296320

Although I am not entirely sure who this studio is. I've never heard of the two games they made.