Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope someone wipes that poo poo eating grin off Danny's face before this is over. Blindside him, ASAP they keep booting off the weirdest targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Khanstant posted:

I hope someone wipes that poo poo eating grin off Danny's face before this is over. Blindside him, ASAP they keep booting off the weirdest targets

It's not weird at all to boot the challenge beasts after the merge, it's pretty standard

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't believe so. She's also basically never mentioned it in confessionals since planting the fake one.

“Don’t tell people about your advantages” is such an easy thing to remember and yet people keep them secret so, so rarely.

I really hope Carolyn takes this season down, she’s definitely playing on the highest level and I bet she’s grinded firemaking at home

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Spokes posted:

“Don’t tell people about your advantages” is such an easy thing to remember and yet people keep them secret so, so rarely.

I really hope Carolyn takes this season down, she’s definitely playing on the highest level and I bet she’s grinded firemaking at home

Carson v Carolyn v Goat is my f3 with Carolyn winning

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Spokes posted:

I respect someone who practices firemaking way more than someone who practices puzzles.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

On the other hand at this point not practicing the challenges is analogous to not learning to drive stick for TAR and look how that goes.

Carson is now solidly trying to play the middle, which means he lasts as long as it takes someone to figure that out (and Carolyn already has) so I think it's a Danny/Carolyn/Jaime goat F3

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

On the other hand we haven't had a 'big strong guy' as a goat since... what, Ken McNickle?

So Danny getting destroyed by like Carolyn or Yam Yam in FTC might be funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mp5 posted:

It's not weird at all to boot the challenge beasts after the merge, it's pretty standard

Guess I wasn't seeing them as challenge beasts. Felt more like random people nobody had to worry about but whatever I'm not there and only see an edited version.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sighence posted:

On the other hand at this point not practicing the challenges is analogous to not learning to drive stick for TAR and look how that goes.

Carson is now solidly trying to play the middle, which means he lasts as long as it takes someone to figure that out (and Carolyn already has) so I think it's a Danny/Carolyn/Jaime goat F3

2 years now of watching survivor and P+ immediately takes me to the same episode of TAR. I've seen most of that episode by now so many times but not who won the EP and I usually get annoyed with the flugelhorns and the two dingdongs doing wobbly saw all wrong and remember to shut it off at that point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

Guess I wasn't seeing them as challenge beasts.

Frannie won the first and third immunity challenges after the merge, the reward challenge this week, and was second in immunity this week.

Brandon was beasting pretty much every pre-merge challenge and won his "group" in the first post-merge immunity.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Think Frannie gave Matt the beast mode at ponderosa?

Jk I know she did. They’re cute and hope it works out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nexous posted:

Think Frannie gave Matt the beast mode at ponderosa?

Jk I know she did. They’re cute and hope it works out

https://twitter.com/hailthevail/status/1653971209514524684

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I got irrationally happy when Frannie and Carolyn made friends. I knew Carson would inevitably betray them and require Carolyn to go on a righteous revenge quest.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

njsykora posted:

I respect someone who practices firemaking way more than someone who practices puzzles.

Why? Seems like a very arbitrary distinction.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheCenturion posted:

Why? Seems like a very arbitrary distinction.

Fire making is a generally useful skill. Doing the specific puzzles Survivor uses is not.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

With flint and a machete??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Frannie won the first and third immunity challenges after the merge, the reward challenge this week, and was second in immunity this week.

Brandon was beasting pretty much every pre-merge challenge and won his "group" in the first post-merge immunity.

Sorry I meant aside from Frannie, that boot made sense to me I'd worry about her after getting rid of Matt didn't slow her down that much, well, until it did.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

njsykora posted:

Fire making is a generally useful skill. Doing the specific puzzles Survivor uses is not.

Here’s flint, steel, and a basket of starter, kindling, and wood, make a fire seems just as artificial as build this puzzle.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

TheCenturion posted:

Here’s flint, steel, and a basket of starter, kindling, and wood, make a fire seems just as artificial as build this puzzle.

Even setting aside the (extremely narrow) real world application, there is a huge chance that you’ll have to make fire to win survivor whereas a puzzle—if it even shows up—might get you tribal reward on day 9 or something

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Spokes posted:

Even setting aside the (extremely narrow) real world application, there is a huge chance that you’ll have to make fire to win survivor whereas a puzzle—if it even shows up—might get you tribal reward on day 9 or something

Can’t do final three fire if you’re voted out after failing a puzzle. 🤷‍♂️

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've said it before and I'll say again. Survivor is something you should be drafted or summoned into like a jury. You can opt out but Jeff will write you a letter personally telling you how disappointed he is.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I got irrationally happy when Frannie and Carolyn made friends. I knew Carson would inevitably betray them and require Carolyn to go on a righteous revenge quest.
I listened to George from Australian Survivor on a podcast with Shannon and while being kind of a prick he made some good points about that move. Basically, if Tika is 3 and Carolyn has Frannie, that's good because Carolyn is with you, and that's 4 out of 8 players. You don't vote that person out, you use them to get to the end. If Frannie wanted to avoid other Tika members from seeing her as a threat she can maybe bring more of them on the reward too to cement it. Or if that's not what Frannie wanted to do, bring no Tika members so she can sell everyone about how Tika is playing the middle and getting too powerful.

Just kind of funny because those are such obvious "build an alliance and get to the end" ideas but nobody is talking about them, and of course none of it works that way anyhow now since they'd all constantly be deciding which of each other is a bigger threat at the end and voting each other out way before they get to 4.

Also George liked Heidi's episode even though she voted alone and copped some votes on herself because she did try to work with that 4 on the reward which he thinks was right, and he believes some of the others might recognize that now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I've said it before and I'll say again. Survivor is something you should be drafted or summoned into like a jury. You can opt out but Jeff will write you a letter personally telling you how disappointed he is.

"Gee, Jeff, I wish I could, but I just gave birth, literally yesterday, I haven't even been discharged from the hospital yet, and...."

"LETS GO, SAMANTHA, YOU GOTTA DIG DEEP!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pregnants versus New Moms is the start of a kickass Blood vs Water in 20 years

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Carolyn/Danny/Yam Yam final three with Carolyn (or Yam) winning makes this a top 3 season for me. And it’s amazingly plausible at this point.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Carolyn / Carson / Yam Yam with Carson getting no votes, because I don't like him.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Another Bill posted:

Carolyn / Carson / Yam Yam with Carson getting no votes, because I don't like him.

This would be a Carolyn shutout imo

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/survivorcbs/status/1656313710754037762

The rumours were true.

As for the episode that's gotta be the most embarrassing exit I can remember.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shneak posted:

https://twitter.com/survivorcbs/status/1656313710754037762

The rumours were true.

As for the episode that's gotta be the most embarrassing exit I can remember.

More importantly, 90 minute Amazing Race!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Couldn't sleep so I watched the replay.

drat I can't believe Jamie and Lauren flipped on Danny and Heidi! Kind of bummed that Carolyn ended up "wasting" her idol but it's still a net positive for her chances if she makes it to the end (but obviously a net negative for her actually getting there).

Idk what was so embarrassing about the exit though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Idk what was so embarrassing about the exit though.

Probably the scripted 'face'.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Well the slow predictable march to a Tika final 3 continues, as another challenge threat player gets booted pretty predictably. Strictly from a challenge performance perspective Lauren is probably next. She pretty much only has Jaime, and she's up against Heidi & her idol, and the Tika 3.

This episode felt mostly fine, but like so many other New Era episodes also feels mostly forgettable.

As such here are some stray thoughts from just watching this so I don't forget them later:

-Carolyn is telling us this is the first time she was on the wrong side of the vote, which isn't correct, but the show seems to want us to think it is...
-...and the person we're getting all the other side of the story from is her #1 Yam Yam, not Carson or anyone else
-It's funny that people are having the same conversations about Tika running the game that Frannie was warning us about, and they're too late to do anything about it
-Running Last Gasp again, in the same place it was in S43, just filming at an earlier time of day to make sure there is a single winner this time? It's not special if you keep doing it!
-This might mean they're going to use "Choose Your Champion" somewhere next episode, if they use it at all
-I guess we can also expect the Tower of Power immunity challenge next week
-Jeff's pushing these people to create television drama and have footage to work with, but this is one of those times where the pushing just feels really tone-deaf. Especially since at minimum Yam Yam couldn't hear him!
-They've now shown us Carson staring into a roaring fire with the reflection in his glasses like 7 times. editors, we get it.
-Tribal Council still sucked the life out of the show, but Carolyn at least said some of what I was thinking and pushed back against the "Game's hard, Jeff" non-answers everyone always gives...
-...and the reactions she got from her talk with Probst suggested that people don't seem to respect her very much
-Votes were 3 Danny / 2 Heidi / 2 Carson so Carolyn blew her idol, which isn't going to look good to the jury either
-Boy I'm glad Shot In The Dark is done for the season, now can we just retire it because it sucks?

IcePhoenix posted:

drat I can't believe Jamie and Lauren flipped on Danny and Heidi! Kind of bummed that Carolyn ended up "wasting" her idol but it's still a net positive for her chances if she makes it to the end (but obviously a net negative for her actually getting there).

Ratu and Soka voted along tribal lines again. The only difference this time was Tika voting together.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mp5 posted:

-Running Last Gasp again, in the same place it was in S43, just filming at an earlier time of day to make sure there is a single winner this time? It's not special if you keep doing it!

It's quite possible they didn't run the challenge earlier in the day and were hoping for the same result as last time. But also from the interviews from last season they've been wanting to run the Last Gasp but haven't been in a location in Fiji that had a protected bay with calm water.

It's odd that Lauren & Jamie didn't vote for Carson and stuck together. There will probably be some major blowback with Carolyn telling Yam Yam she didn't have the Tika idol and then playing it to save Carson. Obviously going to put a big target on Carolyn's back as now everyone (including the jury) can see she is playing the game and not just a hyper emotional player.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually wait, why even vote for Heidi? You know the Tikas are voting for Danny. Are you trying to float the middle? That's silly, you either commit to Tika or Soka, because even if they flip back to Heidi next tribal it's a tie at best.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lotta people itt confused why Jamie and Lauren voted the way they did when that was explicitly the plan Carolyn pitched to them.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
It's really telling when I look at this thread last night and see mostly no new posts during the show.

Game has become way too scripted or the contestants are just all so aware of how to play the game.

Cutting the time back really pulls the show at the seams, yes I know, COVID, keep everyone safe, but Australian Survivor, even though it has people that are BIG on how to play the game, the time they are out there has them breathe and develop moreso than the 26 days the American one is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think for a lot of people it's just not a high priority to watch live because of other things vying for attention.

Updated power rankings:

Yam Yam

Carson

Carolyn

Jamie
Heidi
Lauren

I think the editing of last night's episode put a clear structure in how everyone feels about the Tika Three in a potential FTC scenario. Carolyn's idol play probably helped her strategic resume but not as much as if she hadn't gotten Jamie and Lauren to flip. But getting them to flip probably also counts for something? It feels like I'm trying to talk myself into ranking her higher, but I think she needs at least one more thing she can claim as "hers" to pass what Yam Yam and Carson have.

No notes on Jamie/Heidi/Lauren. They're just big nothingburgers at this point. Heidi might be able to save face with an idol play but even then I don't think she can pass any of the Tika Three.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Diabetic posted:

It's really telling when I look at this thread last night and see mostly no new posts during the show.

Game has become way too scripted or the contestants are just all so aware of how to play the game.

Cutting the time back really pulls the show at the seams, yes I know, COVID, keep everyone safe, but Australian Survivor, even though it has people that are BIG on how to play the game, the time they are out there has them breathe and develop moreso than the 26 days the American one is.

People just don't live watch TV as much anymore. It's arguably even just a waste of time to watch live TV with 18 minutes of commercials. Just stream it later and skip the commercials. Either with a better subscription or an adblocker. Ublock has worked with Paramount Plus for a while now, even though it still shows the runtime with ads so you can see how much time you saved :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mp5 posted:

-Votes were 3 Danny / 2 Heidi / 2 Carson so Carolyn blew her idol, which isn't going to look good to the jury either
They were showing us Carson/Yam Yam saying "I think we've got Lauren and Jaime with us" and Carolyn being like "no I think we're in trouble!" as if she was the only one with the right read. They were actually right though... Really surprised Lauren and Jaime did side with Tika though, given there's 3 Tikas now... but I guess it goes to them saying they trust Carson more than Danny. (Whoops!)

I think the jury and players did respect the idol play though. People seemed to be going "holy poo poo badass!!" Also it seemed like Yam Yam might've believed Danny's fake plan initially, so points to Carolyn there. It would be so weird if the Tika 3 broke up because they thought Carolyn was too much of a threat. No disrespect to Carolyn even but if you're Yam Yam or Carson have some faith in your dang game

ApplesandOranges posted:

Actually wait, why even vote for Heidi? You know the Tikas are voting for Danny. Are you trying to float the middle? That's silly, you either commit to Tika or Soka, because even if they flip back to Heidi next tribal it's a tie at best.
I think it was fully with Tika and it was a coordinated vote split...

IcePhoenix posted:

I think the editing of last night's episode put a clear structure in how everyone feels about the Tika Three in a potential FTC scenario. Carolyn's idol play probably helped her strategic resume but not as much as if she hadn't gotten Jamie and Lauren to flip. But getting them to flip probably also counts for something? It feels like I'm trying to talk myself into ranking her higher, but I think she needs at least one more thing she can claim as "hers" to pass what Yam Yam and Carson have.
If you want an excuse to rank Carolyn higher you can use her relationship with Frannie on the jury and by proxy Matt. So she has an advocate or two.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 11, 2023