Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

A boomer, increasingly isolated, now unable to hold back the tears, "You know? ARCHIE BUNKER???!" :qq:

Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Twerk from Home posted:

You joke about this, but in the real world it's actually Arrested Development references that are so old that college students and your younger coworkers don't get them: https://ignition-training.com/posts/retire-cpp-joke/
This has happened to me IRL. I though I would have at least made it to 40 before getting mad about today's no-good-teens and their tiktocks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cat botherer posted:

This has happened to me IRL. I though I would have at least made it to 40 before getting mad about today's no-good-teens and their tiktocks.

Everything is so disposable now that any reference older than a year might as well be from the Van Buren administration.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1654612434630627328?s=20
lol dedollarization

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We need a show like golden age Simpsons to get everyone up to speed on references of old tv shows and movies.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skooma512 posted:

We need a show like golden age Simpsons to get everyone up to speed on references of old tv shows and movies.

Such a thing is not possible ever again, the media landscape has fragmented. The highest rated shows now get a tiny fraction of what 3rd rate trash did a generation ago.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

coelomate posted:

STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG

In my lane, moisturized, poised, prepared...

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/Rick_Lane/status/1654423020616798208

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

Willa Rogers posted:

More than four in 10 Gen Z workers don’t know the meaning behind common workplace phrases such as “bite the bullet” and “back to the salt mines.”

The study — from the visualization platform Rethinkly — discovered that those under the age of 26 are more comfortable with language such as “quiet quitting” and “take this offline.”

Other phrases that Gen Z is struggling with include “cut the mustard,” “flogging a dead horse,” “throw in the towel” and “burning the midnight oil.”

“Let sleeping dogs lie” and “What’s the beef” also made the list of phrases that Gen Z didn’t understand.

My workplace has a high proportion of high grades from elite schools Zoomers, and I am astounded how little they get references to anything. I’ve had to explain just about every analogy I’ve made - whether historical, recent politics, even to consumer brands. I’m 36 and when talking about stuff that happened in the shared time we were adults - like the last 5 years, nothing lands.

To be fair I’m noticing that with older colleagues too.

E: could be too much C-Spam mindset in a blue blood world

Col.Schultz has issued a correction as of 02:53 on May 6, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Col.Schultz posted:

My workplace has a high proportion of high grades from elite schools Zoomers, and I am astounded how little they get references to anything. I’ve had to explain just about every analogy I’ve made - whether historical, recent politics, even to consumer brands. I’m 36 and when talking about stuff that happened in the shared time we were adults - like the last 5 years, nothing lands.

To be fair I’m noticing that with older colleagues too.

E: could be too much C-Spam mindset in a blue blood world

what watching too much soyface does to a MF

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
e: whoops that was like a month ago

Harik has issued a correction as of 03:27 on May 6, 2023

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

In my experience, the prime way younger people learn about history and poo poo nowadays is from esoteric paradox game mods

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Blarghalt posted:

In my experience, the prime way younger people learn about history and poo poo nowadays is from esoteric paradox game mods

I feel like the moment where I really went "oh poo poo, history is really cool" was playing Victoria II as the USA & doing the civil war while watching the Ken Burns documentary.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Two words: curried caviar

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

can't they use it to buy indian products ????????????

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Blarghalt posted:

Back in my day we learned about the hittites from the age of empires demo, these days all that kids get is a paragraph about their religion in a ck2 mod :smith:

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 03:37 on May 6, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gently caress off shrike

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
is this because of them deciding they'll only trade in Yuan? Which was their own choice?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

is this because of them deciding they'll only trade in Yuan? Which was their own choice?

lavrov's main comment seemed to center around the fact constant trade deficits mean they will just keep accumulating more and more rupees, but they don't want to pay currency conversion to go do commerce elsewhere. the source mentioned some potential solutions they're already exploring. this feels like one of those problems that is real, but solvable, and once solved will further detrench the dollar.

so yes, "lol dedollarization"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*Dr Evil voice* one BILLION rupees

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Koirhor posted:

it’s what it’s

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol:HEAR THAT FUCKERS?! GET YER ASSES BACK IN THOSE CUBICLES!1!1!1!1:unsmigghh:
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1654479375926976515?t=oWf4L8xjEdp5PyYOXoWSUA&s=19

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

They could always use child labor for office jobs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's presumably because India is buying up their oil on terms India was able to dictate

Having Yuan wouldn't be an issue because the world's main manufacturing center accepts Yuan

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

my bony fealty posted:

what's the best way to buy a car in the doomsday economy. is there a SA thread that will tell me what to do.

Paradoxish posted:

Don't use dealer financing unless the discounts are genuinely incredible, don't sign up for an insane 6-year term on a car loan, and try to get preapproval from somewhere like a credit union if you want a slightly less awful rate.

That's about it. Rates are high, new car prices are high, used car prices are insane. You're not going to get a good deal relative to even lovely deals from three or four years ago.
this is about the best advice. if i may add a few additions:

- repos are going up big time right now, used car prices are falling from the insane covid bonanza where everyone and their grandma went out and bought a car (especially if they didn't have one). however, it will take some time percolate and see substantial used car prices fall. If you can wait, you might be better off even 6 months from now.

- don't buy "certified pre-owned" by dealers. absolute insane markup. instead, check around Craigslist or local places if anyone is selling some reasonable car. however, this does require you know a thing or two about cars to do your own scoping them out in person to make sure it's not a total junker. i've seen a lot of real cheap used car (including some with reasonable miles like a 60k for a 2016 PT Cruiser for $6k), that are selling locally and not through dealers. this will require more time investment and some know-how on your own end but will be substantially cheaper than dealer used.

- If you're buying new thru dealer, go in with a car you want in particular, most dealers are only stocking cross-overs, suvs right now and usually has a 4-week-to-4-month long waitlist for like a civic hatchback or prius hybrid. dont be pushed into a SUV/cross-over just because its all they have.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ammanas posted:

everyone that already owns a car: cars are destroying our society and environment!! get a bike and take public transit you piece of poo poo
also this. everyone pls stop driving so my commute goes down, tia

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Popoto posted:

can't they use it to buy indian products ????????????

The top exports of India are Refined Petroleum ($49B), Diamonds ($26.3B), Packaged Medicaments ($19.2B), Jewellery ($10.7B), and Rice ($10B)

seems like most indian export commodities are stuff that russia already has in abundance

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1654533978550943746

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

nexous posted:

itt boomer shocked young people don’t like their terrible lingo
90% of my work is just repeating "it is what it is" / " good enough for government work" / "tgif"

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Xaris posted:

this is about the best advice. if i may add a few additions:

- repos are going up big time right now, used car prices are falling from the insane covid bonanza where everyone and their grandma went out and bought a car (especially if they didn't have one). however, it will take some time percolate and see substantial used car prices fall. If you can wait, you might be better off even 6 months from now.

- don't buy "certified pre-owned" by dealers. absolute insane markup. instead, check around Craigslist or local places if anyone is selling some reasonable car. however, this does require you know a thing or two about cars to do your own scoping them out in person to make sure it's not a total junker. i've seen a lot of real cheap used car (including some with reasonable miles like a 60k for a 2016 PT Cruiser for $6k), that are selling locally and not through dealers. this will require more time investment and some know-how on your own end but will be substantially cheaper than dealer used.

Also, if you have a trusted mechanic shop, ask them let you know of any cars for sale they come across. (You can also hire a shop to check out a FB marketplace car you're interested in, or for other private sales.)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Willa Rogers posted:

Also, if you have a trusted mechanic shop, ask them let you know of any cars for sale they come across. (You can also hire a shop to check out a FB marketplace car you're interested in, or for other private sales.)
yeah this is actually probably the best route in terms of minimizing time + maximum bang for the buck. should probably be able to get a pretty good <10 year old car for five figures that runs great. miles also aren't the end-all-be-all anymore either, so something with 100k doesn't mean it's junk when most can run for 250k+ mile.

like we lol that used prices are stupid, and they are, but mostly the stupidity is most extreme either buying from a big corpo dealer or using carvana or some car vc gig fartapp.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If you can touch computers you can teach yourself to fix your (2k craigslist beater) car from youtube

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

just don’t buy a bimmer

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That's a lot of beef vindaloos.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

lol at the rule of 3 usage and the order chosen.

Lockdowns!!
Economic devastation !!!!

oh also 7 million people dead :yayclod:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The issue is that Russia has a large primary surplus with India, so it can't really use the Rupees it is accruing, and it doesn't want to hold too many of them as it ties them in with the Indian banking system. In the end, Russia may just sell them and buy gold.

The problem with holding a bunch of US dollars is it likewise ties you into the US banking system but also possible devaluation of your asset.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure Russia wouldn't have a problem buying more gold just to sit on it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
They have a current account deficit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

I'm pretty sure Russia wouldn't have a problem buying more gold just to sit on it.

Yeah, just like back during much of the Soviet period, it is acting as their primary reserve component.

It seems like also a significant portion of their own gold mining (which isn't insignificant, 10% of total global production) is also ending up in their vaults. It very well may be that they are feeding excess Yuan and rupees through domestic banks (who in return are selling them off) who are in in turn buying domestic gold production that is being held in the name of the government.

China in particular, is fine with this because they don't want to deal with the issue of another large state holding a bunch of their own currency and the potential problems it creates since they generally want tight control over the Yuan. (What if Russia dumps tens of billions of Yuan on the open market at an inopportune time?)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:05 on May 6, 2023