Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Centrist Committee posted:

gently caress off shrike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Wonderful snipe.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Such a thing is not possible ever again, the media landscape has fragmented. The highest rated shows now get a tiny fraction of what 3rd rate trash did a generation ago.

Zoomers love South Park

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

PerniciousKnid posted:

Everything is so disposable now that any reference older than a year might as well be from the Van Buren administration.
Is that a reference to a Sanford and Son episode?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Willa Rogers posted:

This is what the non-olds will have to pay for testing out of their deductibles:

Cheaper to buy a thermocycler off of alibaba and do it yourself.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Azuth0667 posted:

Cheaper to buy a thermocycler off of alibaba and do it yourself.

Lol people have been giving fake names and addresses to the ER to get free healthcare for decades and this guy’s buying a thermocycler.

Some people don’t even bother to hide the fact it’s a fake name: I’ve treated three different Smith Smithsons and a dude named Millionare Pewdie.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nodelphi posted:

Millionare Pewdie.

If this was a kid I'd say there is 50/50 odds that's just his real name.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nodelphi posted:

Lol people have been giving fake names and addresses to the ER to get free healthcare for decades and this guy’s buying a thermocycler.

Some people don’t even bother to hide the fact it’s a fake name: I’ve treated three different Smith Smithsons and a dude named Millionare Pewdie.

Wait, does that work??

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wait, does that work??

1 weird trick! Hospital administrators hate it.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wait, does that work??

So you don’t have to have an ID when you go into the ER but a medical professional has to see you to rule out an emergent medical condition, that’s the law.

Back when ER docs had their own practice they’d breeze by and boot you out if you were obviously planning the equivalent of a dine and dash but ever since private equity turned most ER docs into hourly workers without overtime, holiday pay, or sick days, we’ll generally just roll with anything and order whatever tests you need and move on, it doesn’t hurt us any.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wait, does that work??

it might work at some ERs and not others. At the Lex Luthor Hospital network ER in my town they will demand an ID and credit card. If you refuse to provide one they'll get mad and rake you over the coals with rules lawyering.

I had health insurance and a credit card but had to wait in excruciating pain for an hour because the one billing agent on duty that had to swipe my card and clear me for care, as they had decided my issue wasn't life threatening, was too busy. I had the lights off in my room and the entire time two employees were outside my room complaining about how none of the patients were paying and trying to draw the line where they could stop providing care on people.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Nodelphi posted:

If you have the skills why not?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just pick up a medical textbook and a hand mirror, be your own doctor. Bingo bongo so simple.

Don't forget to steralize your sewing needles, pocket knives etc with a lighter first.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Just pick up a medical textbook and a hand mirror, be your own doctor. Bingo bongo so simple.

Don't forget to steralize your sewing needles, pocket knives etc with a lighter first.

Is this not what the tcc goons and half the at goons are doing?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DancingShade posted:

that sounds like a lot of work, im just going to get chatgpt to diagnose me

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Delta-Wye posted:

lavrov's main comment seemed to center around the fact constant trade deficits mean they will just keep accumulating more and more rupees, but they don't want to pay currency conversion to go do commerce elsewhere. the source mentioned some potential solutions they're already exploring. this feels like one of those problems that is real, but solvable, and once solved will further detrench the dollar.

so yes, "lol dedollarization"

They should get more bomb arrows and Gerudo spice, or invest in Tarrytown

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

DancingShade posted:

that's right. the only thing holding you back from performing the world's second auto-appendectomy is fear. conquer it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

threat tilde

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

Millionare Pewdie.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nodelphi posted:

a dude named Millionare Pewdie.

threaf tortle

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i dont think millennials will ever live that photo down

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nonsense posted:

i dont think millennials will ever live that photo down

Its incredible, looks like a scene from a movie but it was a real person in real life lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

yeah this is actually probably the best route in terms of minimizing time + maximum bang for the buck. should probably be able to get a pretty good <10 year old car for five figures that runs great. miles also aren't the end-all-be-all anymore either, so something with 100k doesn't mean it's junk when most can run for 250k+ mile.

like we lol that used prices are stupid, and they are, but mostly the stupidity is most extreme either buying from a big corpo dealer or using carvana or some car vc gig fartapp.

Yeah, I was assuming the OP was looking for a new or nearly-new car, which is where you're going to get really devastated on prices right now no matter what you do.

Okay-ish deals on older cars exist if you can buy them through trustworthy dealers or shops, but you also have to be a lot more careful. I'm still ultimately kind of down on those deals because super cheap and reliable beaters just don't really exist anymore, and haven't for at least a few years. I can't speak for anywhere else, but any car around here for <$4k is going to be riddled with catastrophic issues if it's not just completely undrivable. I've done a complete rebuild on an engine with a blown head gasket before and I still wouldn't be comfortable buying anything I could find that range.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://cordcuttersnews.com/the-4th-largest-cable-tv-company-is-reportedly-considering-shutting-down-its-tv-service-outsourcing-it/ posted:

2022 was not kind to cable TV companies as Comcast and Spectrum lost a combined 2.6 million TV customers in 2022. Now in 2023 that number is growing as Spectrum has already doubled its losses in the 1st quarter of 2023 vs that same period in 2022.

[...]

In Comcast’s Q1 of 2023 earnings report released this week, Comcast reported it lost 614,000 video customer losses. That works out to be 6,800 subscribers Every Day.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
so jack up internet fees, problem solved.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

never try to change anything, that's propaganda. instead, move.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just make it harder to cancel.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
just make it mandatory like the uk

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Gotta love when you can directly draw the line from a company loving around to finding out.

At least for Comcast (I am sure others as well) you used to be able to call in to customer service and threaten to cancel and get a bunch of money off your bill for 6 months to a year. And you would just have to keep doing that every so often to keep your bill $50ish (or more) lower. About 2 years ago or so, Comcast stopped offering any retention deals at all.

I finally sat down and ran the numbers and even when I had to sign up for CBS All access (now Paramount) because CBS comes in like poo poo on an antenna, I was still saving like $120 a month to drop cable that I wasn’t really watching. And we already had a bunch of streaming services because we have young kids.

My parents had a similar story. They tried to get Comcast to lower the bill. When Comcast refused last year, they switched to AT&T. A week later Comcast called and tried to offer them something. My parents were pretty much “gently caress you, we went through the hassle of switching, we are not switching back”.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Orvin posted:

Gotta love when you can directly draw the line from a company loving around to finding out.

At least for Comcast (I am sure others as well) you used to be able to call in to customer service and threaten to cancel and get a bunch of money off your bill for 6 months to a year. And you would just have to keep doing that every so often to keep your bill $50ish (or more) lower. About 2 years ago or so, Comcast stopped offering any retention deals at all.

I finally sat down and ran the numbers and even when I had to sign up for CBS All access (now Paramount) because CBS comes in like poo poo on an antenna, I was still saving like $120 a month to drop cable that I wasn’t really watching. And we already had a bunch of streaming services because we have young kids.

My parents had a similar story. They tried to get Comcast to lower the bill. When Comcast refused last year, they switched to AT&T. A week later Comcast called and tried to offer them something. My parents were pretty much “gently caress you, we went through the hassle of switching, we are not switching back”.

Yeah the big cable companies are all like that and they get worse every year. You basically have to aggressively bully them constantly or they steal more and more money for the same service.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah the big cable companies are all like that and they get worse every year. You basically have to aggressively bully them constantly or they steal more and more money for the same service.

Applies to basically everything

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

DancingShade posted:

I have removed my own stitches plenty of times, why pay $100 to have a "professional" do it when I already have scissors and tweezers laying about?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Ghostse.cx posted:

I have removed my own stitches plenty of times, why pay $100 to have a "professional" do it when I already have scissors and tweezers laying about?

So you don't get an infection from using the filthy scissors you found in the junk drawer?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Azuth0667 posted:

So you don't get an infection from using the filthy scissors you found in the junk drawer?

That's not gangrene on my dick it's character

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My pharmacy is out of Dexys and even the generic, and apparently backordered for weeks?

You also can’t switch the prescription to Ritalin or Adderall on the fly?

Seems bad.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

My pharmacy is out of Dexys and even the generic, and apparently backordered for weeks?

You also can’t switch the prescription to Ritalin or Adderall on the fly?

Seems bad.

oh so thats how you read so much

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

I can't disinfect a pair of scissors I need help from a doctor. Willing to pay hundred, nay thousands, for this incredibly complicated procedure.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fits my needs posted:

oh so thats how you read so much

Yes.

The Canadian government only paper clipped 50-something German scientists and technicians, it's a real disappointment.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:47 on May 7, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
you should mail order some weed and watch some movies. for you i guess that means watching like war and peace or something

Runtime: 6h 13m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/GoingMedieval/status/1654757336525701120